How long does it take you to write up a RP post?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Flynn Maidrus on January 17th, 2012, 1:23 am

Well, if it makes anyone feel better, honestly it takes it me about 45 minutes to get out 300-words-_-' mostly because this character is mostly passive and is all about inner monologues. I wanted to cut it down, can't be all speculation all the time so it's quite hard to write this character (excuses, excuses...). I'm quite aware people can whip out a 400-word post in what seems to be a handful of minutes.

How about you?
Last edited by Flynn Maidrus on January 17th, 2012, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynn Maidrus
being dead has its perks

Words: 28885
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 4:53 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Ezra Crenshaw on January 17th, 2012, 1:29 am

I take hours of staring at a screen writing the opening sentence, deleting it, writing a variation, deleting it. Now this keeps up for some time before finally I find my flow, churn out about 150 words. Edit the whole thing, scrap most, then churn out more. By the end of the day I have one post I'm moderately happy with of around 800-1200+ words and I'm putting finishing touches on it.

But I've heard of people who can just churn and churn and churn. It's all different I think.
Ezra Crenshaw
The Man of Many Scars

Words: 52411
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Verilian on January 20th, 2012, 11:15 pm

For me.. I can take anywhere from five minutes to a month, but on average I'd say 45min to an hour. Usually before I post I go back to my previous post and reread it, and everything from there till its my turn again. Sometimes I even reread the entire thread, depending on what I feel like doing. Then the actual posting usually takes me between 15-30 more minutes. Then if I am not worn out by then, I reread my post again checking for spelling/grammar errors, or if I am on my computer (almost all my posts are done on my phone, this one included) I run a spell checker. Then I post, and sometimes reread again in case I missed anything.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Xalet on January 21st, 2012, 1:20 am

Yeah I usually re-read the last post and all that, but when posting time comes a 400-500 word post takes me about 15-25 minutes I'd day. I never find myself fretting about a post though and I know exactly when my 'posting focus' is around. I'm not really out to try and impress anyone, I just post to get involved and have fun.
Xalet
The answer is more Body Building.

Words: 539431
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Phoenix on January 21st, 2012, 7:17 am

Don't let it get you down if it takes you a while. Everyone has their own writing speed, just like everyone reads at their own pace.

For me, it depends on the character I'm writing for. My first ever pc, Aidara, is very similar to myself and therefore it is really easy for me to write for her. My other PC Cailet is harder and usually takes me twice as long to write the same length post as for when i write for Aidara. Really, I tink it's all about how comfortable you are writing on the subject. If you wrote better about things you know, then it might take you an hour to write about cooking and two hours to write about using magic, since chances are you've never used magic in your real life but you have cooked.

Long story short, don't stress yourself out. It's about having fun! You could just be rusty or unused to getting so many words out at one time. Posting on a forum like this has much more stress on how long it takes you to post because you're writing with someone else rather than just by yourself in a word document. Speed will come with time.
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on January 21st, 2012, 11:41 pm

Well it takes me between 45mins to an hour and a half depending on what I am writing for.
A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nai'shee on January 22nd, 2012, 10:25 am

The usual post takes me about 30 minutes, even if I wasn't aware of it until I started to look at the clock.xD Nai'shee is pretty easy to write, because she just do, without thinking. With other character, Lucy, I have to wait for inspiration (she just think, without doing). Anyway, I agree with Xalet, I just write for fun. It would probably take me even less if I was better with English...

Sometimes, when I do important post for emotional background of character it takes a while, and I edit it few times, usually adding something more, but I still don't try as hard as you guys do.
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kale on January 22nd, 2012, 1:57 pm

Well when when I write how long it takes me can vary. If i feel inspired and actually do not get distracted I can churn out a 500-1000 word post (1000-2000 by mizahar's word calculator) in only about 45 mins or so. However since I do get distracted rather easily it usually takes me a bit longer. I would say anywhere from an hour to a day.
Be realistic when playing with Kale. Chained Ones are rare. He has no undead traits that someone can tell. There for you do not know he is undead. Until he exhibits extreme qualities outside of what a human would you can not even tell he is not human. Once he does you will NOT know what he is, only then he is not human. There for you DO NOT suddenly know how to kill him.If you some how know that he is an undead creature without a plausible reason then I will seek moderator intervention on the matter.
Kale
Perfection at its Best

Words: 80200
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2011, 9:54 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Marcus Braeden on January 30th, 2012, 5:35 am

It really depends on the day for me. On a good day when I am feeling it, I can do 500 words in 20-30 minutes. But there days where I am just sitting there for an hour writing, deleting, and then rewriting.
Marcus Braeden
Chasing the Dream

Words: 138816
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2010, 6:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alric Wilmot on February 3rd, 2012, 1:57 am

It takes me a constant hour or more to turn out a post. Surprisingly, this is true for me no matter the length of the post in question. If it is short, then I think long and hard to see if that is all I want to say. If it is long, then I have to think long and hard to make sure I haven't said too much or something of no consequence (which, i fear, happens anyway.)

And then, there are those rare people I play with who make me second guess the whole post, and I end up deleting the post and starting over. In that way, I may take a few days to get my reply written up the way I want.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets