Completed [Flashback] The Sailor and the Child [Pash|Montaine]

An unlikely pair wax philosophical.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Flashback] The Sailor and the Child [Pash|Montaine]

Postby Montaine on April 26th, 2012, 12:08 pm

The child perked up at the sound of his father’s voice across the rabble. He would have such fun telling him about his day, he would finally have stories to tell Da for once, rather than it always being the other way around. He could tell him about the mean Truro, and the tongueless Bogh, about Edie and Ralph Fantino and their weird singing and dancing, he could tell him about the fiddler and the drunks and the song that made no sense, about the creepy Halyche Rafflesia, about Pash.

No. He realised it then. This whole expedition had been about the truth, learning the truth of the world beyond the walls of his father’s apartment, learning the reality of reality beyond the boundaries of his father’s fiction. And he had learned the truth, and the truth was, well. The truth was he had to lie. If his father knew where he had been and what he had done, if he knew about the fight, he would overreact. Okay, perhaps overreact would be putting it a little strongly. He would react appropriately, and that would be bad. Instead he would have to lie to his father, to his dear old Da, and that was one skill he had learnt a long time ago, listening to his father’s stories.

Telling stories wasn’t so hard.

Tiffan Redsun made his way through the dissipating crowd, shoving one or two aside rather roughly and earning a few dirty looks, to where Monty stood hand in hand with the sailor. The man didn’t shout, he didn’t berate, he didn’t even look angry. Just relieved. The boy’s father fell to his knees and embraced him. The little lad returned the hug and squeezed as tightly as he could manage.

‘Da! I was so scared, there was a man in the fish market, I think he was a pirate! Pash saved me, fought him off he did! He was amazing! Pash said he wasn’t a pirate though, just some drunk, but I think it’s better if he was a pirate like in your stories. Then he took me to eat, ‘cause I was hungry and didn’t know where you were, and it was scary,’ he looked at his father with big, round eyes, the same blue reflected back. The imposing horseman got to his feet and took his son’s hand. He looked at the sailor.

He might not have possessed the windmarks of a fully fledged member of a Drykas clan but he had the sturdy physique of one born and raised on the Sea of Grass and stood unseemly tall. The disparity between father and son was only emphasised by their identical eyes. The horseman eyed Pash’nar closely, noting the split lip and the blood. He was no expert, he would be the first to admit, but he could tell fresh wounds a mile off. He didn’t trust this sailor, not one bit. But that meant his son had lied. He looked down at the happy, smiling face and frowned.

He would accept the lie. After all, this sailor would probably be gone soon; it would certainly be the last that Monty would see of him. No harm done. He nodded to the seafarer and, without a word to him, turned to lead his son away. Monty looked back and shouted.

‘You come back to Zeltiva! Promise!’

Not awaiting a response he turned back round, and disappeared into the city. He turned to his father and smiled so sweetly, so proudly, and said ‘Petch.’

Completed
Montaine
The Glass Boy

Words: 306099
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2012, 9:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

[Flashback] The Sailor and the Child [Pash|Montaine]

Postby Echelon on April 30th, 2012, 12:27 am

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is it's own reward.
Pash'nar's Loot :
Pash'nar

Skill XP Reward
Running +3XP
Rhetoric +3XP
Philosophy +3XP
Observation +3Xp
Teaching +1XP
Acrobatics +1XP
Brawling +3XP

Lore:
Assaulting Heat
Roguish Slander
Cut Your Loses and Flee
Monty: Imaginative
Monty: As a Child
A Pirates Oath
Children's Charm
Layout of Zeltivan Docks
Monty: Lost His Mother As An Infant
Philosophy: Remember Or Forget
Philosophy: Merits of Humanity
Philosophy: Family
Philosophy: Death
Vinegar Coated Teachings
Tables: Build Them Light And Build Them Sturdy
Combat: Situational Awareness
Paying For Damaged
Phrase: "Men are Beasts"
Story: The Sailor and The Child

Items or Consequences:
-5 CM for the ale and meal
+2 CM from the boy
Bruised Shoulder and Ribs- One Week

Notes: Do try to keep to your character's level in running. One with no running can not run so well or long without trouble. Brawling has been edited.

Montaine's Loot :
Montaine Redsun

Skill XP Reward
Observation +2XP
Negotiation +1XP
Acting +2XP
Interrogation +1XP
Poetry +2XP
Rhetoric +3XP
Philosophy +3XP
Larceny +1XP
Mathematics +2XP
Unarmed Combat +1XP
Storytelling +1XP

Lore:
Aroma of Zeltivan Days
Enjoying The Simple Things
Feigning Appreciation
Taste of Zeltivan Delicacies
Enforced Boundaries
Demeanor of The Drunk
Ballad of the Fair Alvadas Maiden...
Bravery From Fiction
Overactive Imagination
Balls Indeed
Pirate's Oath
Pash'nar the Pirate
Petch: And All It's Piratey Uses
First Women's Touch
Unwelcome Contact
Taste: Kelp Beer
Pah'nar: Older Than 100
How To Eat Rat In A Hole
Philosophy: Remember or Forget
Philosophy: Value of Experience
Love For My Father
Longing For The Unattainable
Gambling: Dice
Symestra: Appearance
Dangers of Gambling
Tables: Build Them Light and Build Them Sturdy
Slight Of Hands
Pash'nar: A Darker Side
First Glimpse of Violence
Phrase: "Men Are Beasts"

Items or Consequences:
+1 Free Cup
-1 Free Cup
+14 Free Mizas
+1 Free Rag
-14 Free Mizas
- 1 Free Rag
+14 Free Mizas!
+1 Free Rag!
-14 Free Mizas
-1 Free Rag
-2 CM
Tired and wheezy for five days, despite your good mood.

Notes: Your skills might come faster if you take more time to note exactly how Montaine remembers things, what type of information he takes in. Also, as well as you do at smells and visuals adding more "touch" to your posts might help fill things out. Explaining what Montaine feels. I know you did in Montaine's future post, so perhaps he just wasn't as physically aware as a child, in which case I understand.

(Well good god that took hours to grade, but was a ton of fun. Thank you both for taking me on this wild ride. I especially liked the deeper parts of conversation, I do hope to see these to meet in current time some time!) - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, please PM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous