[Quest] A Blind Man's Faith (Nira'lia)

The Miracles of the Divine.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Paragon on April 25th, 2012, 2:23 pm

A Blind Man's Faith

Timestamp: 2nd Day of Spring, 512 AV

The city was still in chaos. One half broken, the other waterlogged. People padded through the streets, some carrying the injured, others with planks of wood and tools, hoping to start mending roofs and walls. If one thing could be said of the Zeltivan people - it was that they could muster great reserves of strength in times of need. The community worked together, taking the first steps in the long road to recovery.

Nira'lia had already spent a day in the infirmary, helping with the injured. Medicine was a very Konti disposition. Something about these ethereal women lent their skills to healing and supporting. Inside the infirmary - thankfully unscathed - Mistress Claira rushed about, guiding people, tending to the wounded, dealing with the queue. She had a triage system going, ensuring those at deaths door were seen too with godspeed.

Nira'lia was tired. Very tired. Everyone was, but the kick of adrenaline seemed to keep them going. There was fear too. A tangible thing, that passed from person to person. Who knew what was going to happen next... another storm could break for all they knew.

It was early in the morning. The sun refused to shine, blocked by grey skies, and even greyer hearts. Nira'lia had just finished with a patient when Mistress Claira approached her holding a small square of parchment.

The elderly woman laid her hands on the Konti's shoulder and smiled faintly. "Thank you," she said quietely, "Thank you for all you have done. I have a task. The others are busy. I wondered if you would be up for it? It involves a home visit, Nira'lia. I warn you, it may not be pleasant."

The medic looked at the Konti expectantly. They were eyes of trust.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nira'lia on April 25th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Nira'lia flinched when Mistress Claira laid her hands on her shoulders. The konti was tired and she couldn't help the visions that flew before her eyes -- visions of the Mistress's happiest memory. She had gloves up to her elbows so her involuntary Konti gift wouldn't work when she tended to patients, but she could do nothing about the elderly woman's hand on her shoulder. As soon as the visions were gone, Nira'lia shook her head to return to the present.

She took the piece of parchment from the mistress, peering down at it. It had an address scrawled unto it. A home visit...? She was exhausted and she felt her body would soon give in. Nira'lia wanted nothing more but to go home and rest, but it was apparent that many people still needed help... and if this person couldn't even leave his house, then that meant there was good reason for it.

"Yes, of course..." replied Nira'lia as she forced a smile. She proceeded to gather her belongings to leave for the address she was given.

Mistress Claira had warned her that it wasn't going to pleasant. As she fixed her things, she realized that in her exhaustion, she had forgotten to ask about what to expect. It was rather silly for a medic not to ask, as she might end up leaving behind what she needed.

Before heading out the door, she approached Mistress Claira once more and tapped the elderly woman on the shoulder to get her attention.

"Mistress Claira, I'd be happy to go, but is there anything I should be prepared for?"
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Words: 386960
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2011, 9:17 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Paragon on April 27th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Mistress Claira felt the Konti's light tap on her shoulder. She turned from surveying the triage process, and smiled warmly at Nira'lia.

"I knew there was a reason I asked you. Resourceful - it's a good trait for a medic."

And then, wearily, she shook her head and gestured to the piece of paper with the address on.

"I'm afraid I don't know anymore than that. We had news a medic was needed at the house for someone injured in the storm, but that's the extent of it I'm afraid."

Nira'lia would evidently be stepping into the unknown. She would wonder if her medicinal skills would be good enough - but Claira would not be sending her if she did not believe in her.

"Good luck," the Mistress said softly, "And be careful. Some of the buildings still aren't stable out there. Just keep an eye out."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nira'lia on April 28th, 2012, 5:49 pm

The konti blinked and then looked at the paper. She had no idea what to expect from this patient she was about to visit. Nira’lia smiled at the Mistress and said, "Okay... I'll be careful. Thank you."

She nodded at Mistress Claira and stepped out of the infirmary. As soon as she did, her eyes saw the mayhem that the storm had brought to Zeltiva. Rubble was everywhere, and patients were still being rushing to the infirmary. A man carrying a wailing child came rushing in her direction, and she flinched as she got out of the way. It was a terrible time, and this was evident in the desperation in the faces of everyone around.

Paying heed to the Mistress's warning, Nira'lia couldn't help but keep a careful eye on her surroundings. The address on the paper she had been handed was a couple of blocks away from the University, and she made sure to avoid spots that looked dangerous. One house had a window frame that was dangling by only a piece of wood. The frame looked like it would drop at any moment, and Nira'lia had to urge an old man away from it before she could continue on her task.

Soon enough, Nira'lia was in the street written down on the parchment. Taking a deep breath, she soon sought out the house and stood before its door. For some reason, there was a heavy feeling of uneasiness on her shoulders.

Nira'lia knocked on the door. "Hello? My name's Nira'lia, Mistress Claira of the infirmary sent me here."
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on April 29th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Nira'lia was surprised when her eyes fell upon the person that had opened the door. It was a young girl, no older than ten. She had blonde hair, that perhaps had held some lustre.

She was guided into the house by the young girl. Dust and darkness reigned inside, a microcosm of the macrocosmic Zeltivan problem. She would blink into the light to try and make out her surroundings.

It was a hodgepodge house. Pots and pans, books and drawings all lay scattered around. Tables were pushed against the walls, piled with things. It was a loved home, but an unkempt one too.

"It's my papa," she whispered.

The man she spoke of slept on a rough looking pile of sheets to one corner of the small house.

"Can we wait till he wakes?" she asked quietly, full of an endearing little self confidence. "I can make tea. We have a little. And I can tell you what happened."

The girl gave Nira'lia no choice. She went about lighting a small oil stove, picking tea leaves and dropping them into the water.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nira'lia on April 30th, 2012, 2:14 pm

The konti looked around blankly, her lips in a thin line. The girl needed help with her father. Nira'lia ppered to the side and saw the sleeping man. He didn't even have a bed, just a pile of sheets -- and judging from the rest of the house, it was apparent that this family was not very blessed when it came to money.

"Okay," replied the konti with a bright smile. She didn't mind waiting, even if the girl didn't give her a choice. There didn't seem to be anything to sit on since there was so much clutter on all the furniture, and in addition to that, she didn't want to come off as rude. Nira'lia stood there and waited for the girl to finish making the tea.

As the girl went about her task, Nira'lia tried to peer at her father to maybe get an idea. All she could see at the moment was a sleeping man, and she decided she needed to get closer to him or listen to the girl's story.

"What seems to be the problem?" Nira'lia would ask when the girl was done with making the tea.
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on May 2nd, 2012, 1:15 pm

The girl set about making the tea, a dash of pride in her actions. The Konti had come to help her father, so she had to make her as welcome as she could.

"Nira'lia is a lovely name by the way," she said over her shoulder, "I'm Hanna."

Finishing up the tea, she brought over the two nicest mugs they had, passing one to the healer. She smiled at her, trying to add some brightness into the gesture.

When the Konti asked her what the problem was, she breathed deeply, and tried not to cry. Every time she thought about it, she felt sad. When she looked at him... she couldn't handle it.

"It was during the storm... I.... I don't understand what happened. Papa looked up to the sky, and then he was..." she rasped the final word quietely; Nira'lia would see it pained Hanna. "blind."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nira'lia on May 2nd, 2012, 7:29 pm

Hanna seemed to be having difficult just speaking about their situation. Nira'lia almost reached forward to put a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder, but she had to stop herself in fear of her konti gift acting out when it was unnecessary.

Nira'lia glanced at Hanna's father once more as the girl spoke. Hanna said he had turned blind because he had looked up at the sky during the storm.

The puzzlement on the konti's face was evident as she racked her mind for any possible conclusions... in the end, she couldn't think of anything. This was beyond anything she had ever heard of.

"Did anything else happen... was it accompanied by pain? Did he... mention what he saw last?" asked Nira'lia, her voice concerned. Even she didn't know where her questions were going.

The konti looked back at Hanna, her brows knitted in confusion.

"When he wakes up, let's take a look immediately," said the konti adamantly. This extraordinary case could most possibly be something she was not capable of handling, but the least she could do was examine him. She could rush back to Mistress Claira with a report and with tons of questions about what to do.

’What am I thinking...? I’m giving up on myself even before I’ve tried,’ the konti thought with a deep sigh as she realized where her train of thoughts were going. ’Well, that just won’t do.’

"I’ll do what I can to the best of my ability," said Nira'lia with the brightest smile she could muster.
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on May 5th, 2012, 10:11 am

Hanna turned to her father too. Since they had lost Hanna's mother, life had been difficult. And now the storm had come, and turned their worlds upside down all over again.

"He... he doesn't talk about it. But he collapsed first, Nira'lia. He looked up, and fell down as the storm struck. Then when he woke up, he was... blind."

Hanna watched the Konti for a moment - there was anxiety in her face. Was the healer really going to fix her father? Or was the task an impossible one? She worried about how much could really be done, when the problem was so strange.

The father suddenly stirred, turning over in his sheets. He yawned, stretching an arm outward.

"Who's there Hanna? I heard another voice?" he asked.

Hanna smiled at Nira'lia, and turned back to her father. "This is Nira'lia," she said softly, before turning to Nira'lia, "go on. Introduce yourself."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Nira'lia on May 8th, 2012, 5:16 am

A look of puzzlement was on Nira'lia's face. This was a bizarre case that she could not understand. She prayed to the Gods for guidance, and realized that if she had to, she could look into the man's chavi with the aid of Avalis. She was wary of the idea though, as she wasn’t sure how much that would help. Deep in thought, she sent a prayer to Rak'keli, as she felt this was more of the goddess's domain.

"Yes, sir, my name is Nira'lia," called out the konti. Slowly, she approached the man and kneeled down beside him. Nira'lia often moved with delicacy, but at the moment, it was evident that she felt nervous about the whole ordeal.

She peered at him closely, trying to make out any hints that could help them with the situation. Nira'lia rummaged through her bag and put on a pair of gloves, just in case she had to examine him soon. It might have looked strange to Hanna that she put on gloves just for a task, but the konti chose not to explain. It was very rare that she talked about her konti gift when not needed.

"I was sent here by Mistress Claira from the infirmary. I'm here to help you."

The konti paused and thought about her words carefully. She didn't want to offend the man. Nira'lia glanced at Hanna, and then back at him.

"Your daughter told me that you don't talk about what had happened, but it would be really helpful if you do," said Nira'lia slowly. "This seems... like a very peculiar case, but I'll do my best."
Nira'lia
Healer & Seer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next