Creating an NPC noble in Ravok to possess his body?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Dexter on June 10th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Hi guys, I've been reading about NPCs on the wiki and I'm slightly confused. I need to steal a body for my Nuit, whose current body is old and frail, but I feel like I should put some thought into an NPC and write several posts about how Dexter stalks him and carefully plans the murder. I want the NPC to be a wealthy merchant or other high-ranking member of Ravokian society so that Dexter can impersonate him and gain access to the Institute of Higher Learning. (And only for this purpose; I would make sure to gain as few free possessions from the dead NPC as possible.)

But the NPC page on the wiki says that there are only two types of NPCs: Stationary NPCs linked to the PC somehow, and traveling companions. But neither of those fit the bill at all. I want a fully-independent NPC who lives in his own home and doesn't even know who Dexter is, until he is murdered by him. The only helpful information the wiki does give me is that apparently NPCs can be nemeses, presumably to the PC. But a nemesis certainly wouldn't fall under either of the two types of NPCs it details.

So basically, can I create my NPC or not?
Dexter
Undead Psychiatrist

Words: 37801
Joined roleplay: June 6th, 2012, 12:58 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Antar on June 10th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Basically, you need to contact the DS of the domain, Verillian :).

Such an acquisition of an identity would be very hard to come by I think. But V may make a few extra points he'd like to see if he chooses to allow such a tangent to go through. You may need to have such a thread guest storytelled as well.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sylkra on June 10th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Antar's right. I would just PM Verillian, and it probably will be STed.
"If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you've done and whoever you were and throw them away."

~Steve Jobs

Sylkra
The Ranger Wolf

Words: 65240
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dexter on June 11th, 2012, 12:36 am

Thank you both for the help. Out of curiosity, how do Nuit players normally acquire bodies?
Dexter
Undead Psychiatrist

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on June 11th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Hey! Its good to see a fellow nuit around :). Well Eva does a lot of searching for her bodies, unless she is in a rush. She always looks for young women, and she can sometimes spend days, or even weeks observing them before taking their bodies. Once that is done she severs all ties to the family of the body, usually by killing them, and then leaves the city.

Now as a player I acquire each new body by doing a series of solo threads/threads with mods or players. I really get into the story telling aspect of the body snatching. V is actually really good about strange requests, so he might just let you do what you want as long as you seem like you know what you are doing.

If you need anything or have questions feel free to PM :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Dexter on June 11th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Thanks very much, Evalin, I'm adding you to my friends list and will keep your offer in mind. I think I'm going to gain access to the Institute of Higher Learning a different way, however, and find a less important person to possess.
Dexter
Undead Psychiatrist

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Verilian on June 11th, 2012, 11:18 pm

The NPC types listed are only for PCs that you intend to use over and over and control yourself, for you only. Storyteller-Made NPCs have no restrictions, and can be anything we want them to be. I also sometimes approve one-thread use of NPCs that do not fall under the NPC guidelines, but it really just depends on the situation. If you look at the Ravok NPC list, found at the bottom of the Ravok lore entry, you will see several Ravok NPCs you can play with. However, anything that involves killing an NPC always requires moderator.approval, regardless of the npc or city you are in. I often approve self moderation in these instances depending on the writer and the npc, but not all Storytellers are like that.

Evalin is right, I am pretty lenient with odd requests. However, there are some issues with your plan. First of all, just because someone is a wealthy "noble," it doesn't mean they have access to the Institute of Higher Learning. Only the Ebonstryfe can grant access, and only those desiring to learn magic would apply. More importantly, trying to pretend that you are alive rather than a Nuit in a building full of powerful mages, after murdering someone who the Ebonstryfe considered worthy enough to be granted access to the school, is just plain suicide. There are aurists in the school that would recognize you for what you are right away. Unless you become a master of Auristics and learn to conceal your aura, you would be discovered very quickly.

And finally... there is the legend mentioned in the description of the Institute:

"It is said that only those having attained an official invitation to join the Institute may pass through the entrance unharmed."

That may or may not be a myth.

So.. all that being said. You can try, but it will be dangerous. Or, you could attempt to join the proper way, by petitioning to the Ebonstryfe. Either way, you will probably need my approval and should PM me.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Dexter on June 12th, 2012, 6:50 am

I'm sending you a PM.
Dexter
Undead Psychiatrist

Character sheet
Journal
Plotnotes