[Marc's Scrapbook] The Musings of Another World

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 7th, 2012, 7:34 pm

"I always wanted to be a cowboy, and Jedi Knights are basically cowboys in space, right?" - Liam Neeson.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIAM NEESON!
Marcus Dymez
Imagination is oft confused with Insanity.

Words: 134886
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 9th, 2012, 1:57 am

‎"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you." - Thomas Jefferson.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 9th, 2012, 6:05 pm

‎"Freedom lies in being bold" - Robert Frost.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 10th, 2012, 2:16 am

A Brief Interruption...

I have to pop in here a moment and tell you how annoying it is to see you post a quote from some famous brilliant person in your scrap and never ever add any input as to why it caught your eye or what meaning it has to you. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say your scrapbook would be a lot more interesting if you... for one... told us why Robert Frost's words inspired or caught your eye.

Because otherwise, your Scrap is impersonal as hell. It really is.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 10th, 2012, 4:07 am

Point well-taken. ^^ I have been more or less using this as a way to collect various quotes that inspire me in my day to day life, as well as perhaps share some wise words with others, but I understand where you're coming from. I'm truly sorry if I somehow offended you with this, but these quotes are quite personal to me. I just don't often write down all of my personal thoughts, and I enjoy letting others make their own interpretations without my bias to cloud it. If it helps to sooth your displeasure, I may elaborate on the meaning of them for quotes that aren't too personal (I wouldn't wish to trouble Mizahar with a story of my life).

I do appreciate you speaking up to vocalize your concerns however. Thank you for that courtesy. Hope you have a nice night! :D ~Marc
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 10th, 2012, 4:13 am

This is your scrap. You post how you want. I was just pointing out that sometimes its annoying to see no reasoning behind the chosen quotes. Everyone loves to see people's thought processes.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 10th, 2012, 4:42 am

I'll keep your advice in mind, and I hope you find the next one more interesting. I have a few ideas I've been bouncing around, so we'll see how this all goes.

~Marc
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 11th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Marcus Aurelius

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius.

Hurray for new formatting! After discussing it with a couple others, I've decided to make this a bit more informative/interactive, mostly 'cause I have been meaning to ramp down my regular quotes here, and this seems like the best way to do it. And who better to start this off with, than my personal favorite philosopher Marcus Aurelius. (Who may influence why I love the name Marcus so much. ^^)

For those of you who don't know him, Marcus Aurelius was a soldier in the Roman Empire during the 2nd century, who would later in life become the Emperor of Rome. This was not as uncommon as you'd think, as the military circles often melded with the political sphere of Rome. Regardless, Marcus Aurelius would be come to be renowned for his reign and philosophy; a master at both realms. Niccolo Machiavelli considered Marcus Aurelius the last of the Five Good Emperors of Rome, believing that his death signaled the decline of Rome.

His philosophy carries with it the same stoic tone that many ancient philosophers share, such as Aristotle, Tacitus, or Claudius. Reflecting the Roman way of life, it tends to emphasize action over thought, and honor over deceit. Knowledge is best learned from experience, and failure results only from one's own errors. Facing your problems with a cool mind and a steeled resolve was the Roman way to do things, and Marcus Aurelius carried that same spirit into his own philosophy.

As for myself, I enjoy Marcus Aurelius' words so much partly due to my studies into Greco-Roman history, and his thoughts on being pro-active and conquering your fears are lessons that helped me face quite a few of my own problems. Plus, he really was a pretty awesome guy, who not only knew how to win wars, but who truly understood the world he lived in.

"Do every act of your life as if it were your last." - Marcus Aurelius.

Fun Fact: The phrase 'Live each day as if it's your last' comes from Marcus Aurelius.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 14th, 2012, 9:56 pm

William "Bull" Halsey

"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." - William Halsey

William Frederick Halsey, Jr. was an extraordinary man. Eventually rising to Admiral of the Pacific Third Fleet, "Bull" Halsey, as he was commonly referred to, was a man that did not take no for an answer. He was more often than not driven by instinct rather than intellect, but his commanding aura was so inspirational to his men, that they often found themselves infected with his headstrong nature. His flagship, the USS Enterprise (or Big 'E'), would go on to live in glory as the most decorated ship in Navy history, participating in more actions against the Japanese than any other naval vessel.

William Halsey is not your typical philosopher, and in fact, he's not a philosopher at all. He's the type of person who despises idle thinking, especially when there are actions to be made. But that quality is what made him such a great commander, especially during the early stages of World War II, while Japan still held aerial superiority. As someone who has always loved aircraft carriers, and naval warfare in general, it doesn't get much better than Admiral Bull Halsey.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesnt smoke or drink." - William Halsey.

Fun Fact: Halsey's personal mantra "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" would become a catch phrase for the US Navy.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Wrenmae on November 14th, 2013, 2:22 pm

I remember you.

Welcome back.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext