[Location] The Menagerie

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Cheshire on June 16th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Rekanni's eyes flashed a lively pink at Malia's answer. She would finally have someone to work with at her shop! "It's settled then! Welcome to the team." She smiled brightly at Malia as she held her hand out to the Nuit. She was excited to have someone to work with. Ever since Kayin had gotten his job at the barracks and become leader of Frostfawn hold he did not help out around the shop. He simply didn't have time. Rekanni knew her brother had more important things to do now but she could not help but feel a bit lonely.

Malia's next comment bothered Rekanni a bit. Borrowing her pets? She wanted to believe the girl would not do anything to them. She seemed calm enough. Her eyes swept over her furry friends as her irises turned a worried shade of greenish purple. Trust was the first steps to friendship. That much Rekanni tried to keep in mind. She had never been asked such a question though. She cared for all of the animals in her shop even if they were no hers to keep. "I don't know Azola." Reikanni bit her lip nervously as she thought. "I suppose you could..." Her pink purple irises eyed Malia as she thought. "If one of the animals gets hurt... I don't think I could employ you anymore." She felt bad saying that to Malia but it was true. "These animals are my family and my livelyhood. You have to promise that you will not hurt them." This was against her better judgement but trust was trust. "If we can agree to that I think that loaning out the animals can be arranged."
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Malia on June 24th, 2011, 9:32 am

Malia didn’t smile, of course, but still her features seemed to brighten up a bit as she accepted Reikanni’s handshake. Her skin was as cold as ice, but the girl would probably excuse it as a side-effect of the harsh weather. Malia was no Vantha, after all, and didn’t enjoy the protection of the Ice Queen.

Then she watched as Reikanni’s eyes drowned in purple. Obviously the thought was bothering her a bit and Malia understood where she was coming from. She almost regretted asking as she watched her superior stuttering a bit and contemplating the facts. The conflict inside her was almost visible as her words gravitated towards the one, then towards the other side, like a pendulum swinging back and forth until the momentum was gone. The only question was: where would it settle? Malia recalled the application process. She had done everything right, she thought, following the tradition of storytelling, employing politeness and proving some common sense, although she didn’t know much about animals. She had done everything right. But the animals were family? Even then, it seemed that the pulser had too much of an emotional attachment to borrow her pretty little pets. Malia found it disturbing. At the same time she prevented herself from spinning the thought of family to new heights. What about Stitch...?

No, that was something entirely different. She wouldn’t compare, couldn’t compare the two cases. Anyway, pulsers were pulsers, and that fact excused their weaknesses.

When Reikanni agreed, Malia’s eyes widened a little in surprise. She concentrated and gave a serious nod. “I promise that I will not hurt them. I’ll try to employ other methods and avoid the necessity of borrowing an animal as much as possible... if that sounds better to you.” It was as much of a compromise as Malia could offer. Even so, she didn’t know if she really wanted or even needed to work with animals in order to create antropomorphic golems. It was just an idea she was toying with. In that regard, Reikanni and her animals were relatively safe, and Malia hoped she could soothe the Vantha with that.

Then her mind shifted to other things and she spread her arms a little. “Should I start right now or come back tomorrow?”
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Cheshire on June 26th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Reikanni still felt a bit unsettled but she nodded kindly to Malia. "That sounds a bit better, thank you." It was hard to let someone use her animals as experiments but if the woman claimed that she would not hurt them, there would not be any harm, right? She send out a silent prayer to Morwen and even Caiyha as she smiled at Malia. That much would have to keep her mind at ease. She wanted to trust the woman but she knew each day she would check her animals throughly out of fear. They were her responsibility and how would it look if the younger sister of Kayin Frostfawn let her animal fall into danger.

"Tomorrow is perfect with me." She wanted a bit of time to get used to the fact that someone would be getting a little closer to her animals than she would have liked. One more night of them being alone would do her mind good. "I look forward to working with you."
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Cheshire on June 26th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Character: Malia
Experience: Storytelling +1, Observation +1, Interrogation +1, Salesmanship +1
Lore: Applying for Work, Selling Dogs, Getting a Job at The Menagerie

Additional Note: Malia is now employed at Reikanni's shop. She will make 4 GM per day until Reikanni decides otherwise. You will need to make a post of Malia working at her job once a season to get your salary. Malia is also allowed to borrow pets as long as she does not injure them. PM me with concerns.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Nate Frostfawn on July 1st, 2012, 10:40 pm

20th of Summer, 512AV

Despite growing up in the Frostfawn Hold surrounded by animals, Nate did not possess one of his own. His mother trained falcons, often bringing them back to show him. It had never occurred to him to purchase an animal of his own. There had always been plenty wandering around the Hold so he thought of them as community pets in a way.

Recently though, he had been having thoughts about getting himself a companion. Ever since his best friend had stopped coming hunting, Nate had often wanted something or someone to fill his space. He didn’t mind hunting alone, but there were times when prey was scarce and he’d wanted someone to talk to. He’d tried taking another boy with him once, but the lad had nattered incessantly, tripped over roots, and subsequently scared off everything for miles.

Nate now wandered through The Menagerie in the hopes of something catching his eye. He’d bypassed Tovan’s store; he saw enough of the birds as it was without owning one himself. He also avoided Daluna’s place for he knew that he wouldn’t be wanting one of the larger creatures.

He neared the shop of Reikanni, the place to buy the animals many thought of as pets. He knew the girl in passing; they lived in the same Hold after all. The first thing he saw were the cats. Nate peered at them curiously. They were cute yes, but he wasn’t entirely sure he’d like to keep one. The next animal to catch his eye was a huge brindled dog, an Imperial Watcher if he wasn’t mistaken. The animal was enormous, it’s head reaching practically to Nate’s elbow. A Manitora stood near it, but Nate moved past them both. He didn’t need a guard dog, and he certainly didn’t need a sled dog either.

He looked at several more dogs, but it wasn’t till he was about to leave that one caught his eye. A beautiful golden fawn dog stood near the back, ignoring the noises of the store. Nate made his way over, and it looked up, watching him with intelligent dark eyes. It was a Inganu Deepwoods Dog, and Nate somehow felt that she was the one he should choose.

He knew that Reikanni had been watching his progress through her shop, so it was no surprise when her voice floated over to him.
”She’s 30 Mizas.” Nate looked round at her as she spoke again. ”A good dog for tracking, she is.”
He glanced at the dog again;it was still watching him. A smile found it’s way onto his mouth.
”I’ll take her.”
Nate Frostfawn
Player

Words: 49409
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2012, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Valkyrie on July 2nd, 2012, 12:32 am

Thread Award

Nate Frostfawn :
Experience
1 Observation

Lore
Buying a Dog

Other
Ledger: - 30 gm
Inventory: + Inganu Deepwoods Dog

Notes: Just a small note, buying from the Menagerie requires moderation or at least permission for self moderation. I know it isn’t specifically listed here, so it’s not your fault, I just wanted to give you a heads up. Most shops require moderation. You can check the NPC Library for an easy guide to which NPCs (and thus locations) require moderation. In the coming weeks I hope to have notes listed on the specific locations about whether they require moderation or not to make things easier on everyone but for now it has to be this way.

Please send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns. :)
VanthaAvanthalHoldsIcewatch

I will not be accepting new moderation requests at this time, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Valkyrie
Let me in! It's cold out here!

Words: 353067
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2012, 9:44 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on April 14th, 2013, 2:54 pm

--Spring 53rd--

Spirit sat before the fire in the middle of the various shops, attempting to bring up the courage to actually go into one. Her plan was to go and buy a horse, and she knew exactly where to go. She was actually facing the building, as it sat across from the fire. She also knew what kind of horse she wanted. A Windrunner, a good horse, but cheap as well, and she wanted one that had wasn't bad tempered. Sure, she could deal with it while standing, but on it's back... that made her a little iffy. What made her even more uncertain was approaching the owner of the store, Daluna Coolwater. She'd heard from Lusina that the woman was very nice, and the two were very good friends, but still... her shyness always got the better of her at times like this. She cursed it, annoyed at herself, but continued to be rooted to the bench she was sitting on.

The Vantha sighed, realizing she couldn't sit there all day. She had to go and get that horse, and now was better than never. Sighing deeply, she forced herself up from the bench and walked around the fire to go to the shop. Before the door she paused, about to panic and run away, but took a deep breath. Then she noticed the elk standing outside of the doorway. Either he was for sale, or was Daluna's. She was sorely tempted to pet him, and procrastinate longer, but she didn't know if his owner would approve, so opened the door and walked in.

"Afternoon" Was the call she heard as she walked in. The woman at the front had black hair, like most Vantha, and had a friendly, but slightly shy look in her eyes. Something Spirit could relate to. Gathering up her courage, and trying to act less shy than she felt, the girl replied with an equally polite tone:

"Afternoon to you too. I was wondering if I could buy a horse... a Windrunner" she asked, deciding to get straight to asking what she wanted. Feeling that she should go a little more in-depth, she added

"I was hoping it could be even-tempered... oh, and I needed tack..." She looked at the woman with a smile, hoping her request was alright. She wasn't quite sure how much the combined horse-and-tack would cost, but hoped it wouldn't exceed the 100 gold mizas she had on hand.

"Ahh, ok. I think I have someone you might like. She's maybe 5 years, so young, but she's nice and good for beginners. And with tack, I'm assuming you wanted saddlebags too?" Daluna asked with a smile, apparently knowing exactly what she had on stock at the time. Spirit was glad the woman sold tack, since she hadn't been quite sure where else to go for it. The Vantha girl nodded, since she had been looking for saddlebags too. Not too big, but they were very useful anyways.

The older woman left out the back for a few minutes, as that was apparently where she kept the horses. She returned, carrying a saddle, bridle, and saddlebags in her arms, then deposited them on the desk in the room. Leaving without a word again, she returned after a slightly longer time leading a pure white horse into the room. It was magnificent, well kept, and looked as calm as Daluna had described. Spirit grinned widely, and held out her hand for the horse to sniff, which it did, happily. After being accepted by the creature, the girl began to rub it's head with one hand, while taking the lead with another. It looked at her happily, enjoying the attention.

"So... the total comes to 66 gold mizas!" Daluna said, smiling, watching Spirit enthusiastically pet her new horse. The younger nodded, and turning her attention back to the woman, handed her the money. "Here, I'll put on the tack for you..." She continued, and while Spirit held the horse, the shop owner put on the new tack with practiced ease. With a smile, she finished "Thanks, oh, and her name's Silver!" Nodding, and waving goodbye, Spirit led her new found horse out of the shop. It was easy going, perfectly willing to go where she wanted, perfect for a novice rider. It made Spirit happy that she'd been able to go through all this without a hitch, and come out with exactly what she wanted. Rubbing her hand across Silver's soft neck, she smiled widely.
OOCI was given permission to self-moderate by Noblesse ^-^

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Noblesse on April 29th, 2013, 5:34 am

Spirit Frostfawn :
Experience:
  • Observation +1
  • Rhetoric +1

Lores:
  • Getting the Jitters
  • Buying Your Own Horse
  • Daluna Coolwater: Lusina's Good Friend

Other:
  • Possessions: You now have a five year old Windrunner mare named Silver. You have also bought a complete set of tack (bit and bridle which costs 2 gm, with halter costing 1sm), saddle for 10 gm, and small saddlebags for 4 gm.
  • Ledger: You payed 66 gold mizas and 1 silver miza for all your purchased items. Please make the necessary changes to your ledger to reflect this purchase.

Notes:
Just a quick note: you don't actually buy riding equipment from Daluna Coolwater, but since there have been no mention of this in the location yet I will allow this for now. Also, when you say tack, it includes the halter as well, so I added that in for an additional silver miza to your total calculation.

True nobility lies in being superior to your former self
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. Heehee.
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Office

[Location] The Menagerie

Postby Kaden Swift on October 4th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Fall 72th, 513 AV
In search of an exotic job

Grunting, Kaden heaved the puppy higher in his arms. Ticker was wiggling and snapping his teeth close to his face in protest of being held. Normally the tiger Kelvic would be willing to let the puppy down to wonder, but this place could be dangerous to the untrained dog. He needed to sit down and truly train the puppy; he knew Ticker was growing fast. Ignoring all of this, Kaden walked further into the section where animals were sold. It was time he got a job, that storm had been harsh and he needed gold to get a home.

Looking around he searched each of the buildings before choosing one he was sure he wanted. Farren Frostfawn, the exotic animal seller. It was a job after Kaden’s own heart and with animal big enough that they would hardly be frightened of him. It was clear from his run in with Spirit that any smart animal was scared of him. Ticker, Kaden wasn’t sure if the puppy could be called smart. Entering the building Kaden sighed as warmth washed over him and the smell of different animals assaulted his nose. “Hello?” Kaden looked around with some uncertainty; he didn’t see a human wondering around and he wondered if the owner was even in yet.

Anxious to see himself and his dog sorted; Kaden had woken early this morning at set straight for the Menagerie. He was wearing his clothes as neat as he could make them, and he and Ticker were both clean. He did want a job and he had heard of this place. Surely someone use to going out in the wastes so often and returning with such large beasts like bears; wouldn’t be scared of a tiger Kelvic. He hadn’t eaten anyone besides. “Hello, Farren Frostfawn,” he called again before setting Ticker down. “Sit.” He glared at the puppy and watched as Ticker did as he asked jerkily. It was clear the puppy didn’t want to but Kaden continued to glare. “Stay Ticker.” The puppy whined and Kaden looked away.

He would just wait; it could be the man was busy with one of the animals outside. He hadn’t looked there.

oocHope I did this right!
Kaden Swift
What the night dragged in

Words: 122423
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2013, 12:32 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous