Work starts now (solo)

Work thread, Sam starts his first day

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Work starts now (solo)

Postby Sam Leaie on July 2nd, 2012, 3:13 am

Summer - 1 - 512

After Sam got the papers needed for the new job he had set off as soon as he could to start it. It was rather easy finding the place since everyone knew of it but he still felt out of place as he knocked on the doors.

Everything had moved so quickly as a slave talked to him and lead him towards the kitchen where the magic took place or at least where he would work a form of it in terms of cooking. The papers were shown to the head chef and before he knew it he was starting.

Three Bells Later...

“Ah Sam let me look at you now that you are dressed and I now have time to give you one on one.”

The man who talked was John Page, a chef who had worked all his life for the family. He had been too busy to see Sam but one of the other cooks gave him a more fitting outfit while he worked which was a basic white uniform and had set him towards just cutting up food until John had time for him.

“Now let us go over a few things, rules mainly and how things will work. You will work daily and have a few days off. More work you do the better for yourself in terms of skill. It should be noted that I will not take lazy work or sloppy work and you will be fired if you show signs of it.”

John said as Sam took a knife and started cutting up potatoes for the next meal as he listened. “I see you have some cooking skill but tell me have you ever really worked in this type of lifestyle?”

“No Sir, I know a decent amount of cooking but never have I worked in this type of field.” Sam had replied as he took a new potato cutting it in half before cutting again into blocks.

“Plating will be a thing you need to learn. The food has to be the best and it has to look perfect on a plate. The family eats three main dishes which you will have the food on the warming table where the slaves will take it to the main dining room. If the food does not look perfect then take it in the backroom where the slaves can eat or one of the workers.”

John kept talking as Sam just kept cutting up the food for a soup dish for later. He had no questions so he just had to nod as he took a new potato for the dish.

“People are always working and never have the same amount of eating habits. The Nitrozian family is fair when it comes to food but if anyone has any requests they make it known here. No slave or a member of the Nitrozian family cooks or may cook. If you are here then take the request and work on it but if I am here then I will oversee it. Your uniform must be kept clean at all times and only worn when you are working. You can keep it here, it will be washed each night. If you have any questions please ask me or someone who has been here for a longer period of time then you. You need to prove yourself and if you can then doors can open. If you fail to prove yourself then you will be out of a job.”

John was long winded it would seem as he took yet another breath to start talking. Clearly he wanted to tell Sam everything he needed to know now and not later.

“Now, you need to research more recipes and know them like your basic reading and math skills. We have cookbooks here you can use. Do not waste any food as the budget is already set on a season per season notice. We have enough to last but do not go and waste it. Now that will be all, your tasks for the day are cooking a soup and working on plating. You will not serve the family but you will serve the other workers and slaves. Again plating is key along with the food tasting great.”
Sam Leaie
Player

Words: 30102
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2012, 7:53 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Work starts now (solo)

Postby Sam Leaie on July 2nd, 2012, 6:25 am

His first task was to get the soup made. Soups and stews were one thing he knew rather well as he finished up with the potatoes. One of the slave girls had gotten him the other items he needed which was a pound of pork, half a pound of carrots, Barley corn, mushrooms and a few other small items.

A pot of water was already on the stone stove which was already at a boil as he placed the potatoes in as he started cutting the other items up. It was what cooking was most of the time. Cutting things up to roast or boil them. Not really fun work but someone had to do it and if he was good then all the better.

The carrots were simple to chop up as he quickly moved the knife up and down along them making the carrots into chunk sizes. He had made something like this before when he was younger but it was a stock food that was filling and easy.

The next on the list was mushrooms but he did not cut them up this time but kept them whole as he placed them in the water which was soon to be a stew. Next was the ears of corn and the meat.

The ears of corn was a different thing for him but he knew how to handle it nonetheless. With the knife in his right hand he held the corn up in his left. The knife slowly but firmly pushing down on the sides slowly and carefully shedding the corn off the body. He had to be careful for he did not want to waste anything and had to do this a few more times but it would pay off down the road.

This was the start of his cooking life work wise. He had to keep relaxed with a clear head and a more careful hand. If he worked hard he knew it could pay off down the road. The corn was done at least as he placed the bits of it in the stew as he stirred the mixture with an wooden spoon.

Next was the meat which had to be fired up in another pan then placed in the stew. A pan was placed on a empty eye as he threw some oil in the bottom letting it heat as he started to cut the meat. One inch cubes was the goal as he moved the knife back and forth along the meat, it was just basic pork but once it was cut up he threw it in the pan as he then took a pinch of salt, rosemary and sage into the pan as he stirred the meat letting it brown.

Once it was done he placed it in the stew with a few pinches of flour letting it thicken up. One of the aides would clean the dishes as he placed the used pan to the side and once that was done he had to work on bread for the meal.
Sam Leaie
Player

Words: 30102
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2012, 7:53 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets