[Discussion] Mizahar Coliseum

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Tyuru on May 1st, 2010, 1:29 pm

I was dozing right after watcing Gladiator when suddenly I had a brainwave: a coliseum. Yes, my friends, I know I'm brillinant. Well, maybe not. But kind of. -cough-

Anyway, what if there was a coliseum in Mizahar? It would have to be its own forum, probably, and would be near a main city such as Syliras. It would give PCs the chance to...

-Have PvP combat, moderated and kept in line by Storytellers specifically assigned to the coliseum
-Engage in chariot races, which I think would definately be exciting and would be determined by the amount of skill the PC has in horsemanship and various other skills
-Be a gladiator/a slave forced to be a gladiator
-Have a good excuse to write a combat training thread (e.g. a flashback to a time in the coliseum where you had to defend your life against vicious Myrian slaves, that one time when you were captured and forced to learn to kill, etc.)
-Perform in front of large audiences (the coliseum doubles as an amphitheater or something)
-Show their bloodthirsty side
-Organise events within the coliseum (e.g. a multi-PC battle or a monthly training event)
-Generally meet new people when watching the games.

(I'm sure there are more plusses but I can't really think of any right now... it's a little late and my brain is foggy...)

I'm not sure how this idea will be received. Meh, it's just a suggestion, but hey, if you like it, please tell me :)
I apologise profusely to anybody who may have been in a roleplay with me that I kind of started ignoring or that I haven't been answering. I haven't been on Mizahar in the last couple of months (not by my own choice, though!!). I think Tyuru needs some major character revision because I have been completely insensitive to people who have actually been through what she's experienced. I'm taking some time out to make her character more realistic and less insulting. Sorry again, and thanks.
Tyuru
...with so many things to be, who can decide?

Words: 49876
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Hadmycil on May 1st, 2010, 3:07 pm

I like it! It's always good to have more things to do, and I love reading battle roleplays (even if my own skill isn't up to par). But I doubt it'd need a sub-forum of its own. It could be implemented into one of the cities, perhaps, as a landmark in the area.
Hadmycil
Member Number 614

Words: 6195
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2010, 8:37 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet

Postby Pua on May 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm

I won't comment on this for now, at lest until I see what everyone else is thinking. But I will say that creating an arena for the purpose of PvP will be almost guaranteed to add OoC drama.
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Tyuru on May 1st, 2010, 4:12 pm

OoC drama?
In what way? I'm sure everyone's pretty much mature enough to keep any arguments to a minimum.
I apologise profusely to anybody who may have been in a roleplay with me that I kind of started ignoring or that I haven't been answering. I haven't been on Mizahar in the last couple of months (not by my own choice, though!!). I think Tyuru needs some major character revision because I have been completely insensitive to people who have actually been through what she's experienced. I'm taking some time out to make her character more realistic and less insulting. Sorry again, and thanks.
Tyuru

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on May 1st, 2010, 5:44 pm

I've seen this done on other sites. The typical trend is... "Wow thats great!" Two or three combat scenes are played out... and then the drama dies down and no one touches it again forever. If you want to develop an idea like this that has been done and overdone repeatedly... it needs to be spun with a unique and interesting twist that will keep people entertained and coming back.

Money shouldn't be a factor nor should glory. The twist should be far more entertaining and unique than that.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tyuru on May 2nd, 2010, 6:41 am

Huh. I guess you're right... my mind jumps right on to 'ONG ITS A CONSPIRACY', but I'm not sure how that would work out properly... any other ideas from anybody?
Tyuru

Character sheet

Postby John Vicari on May 3rd, 2010, 2:15 am

I will ponder over this but I have seen things like it and they do good for a bit then die down and just becomes a ghost area. Yet I will ponder and maybe work on a IC level then ooc level making it.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Tyuru on May 3rd, 2010, 3:52 pm

Wow. I feel a little defeated. Just when I though my idea was all original and stuff, I learn that people have been doing this loooong before my time.

Da-yum.

Okay, I got it. Kind of. But I'd need some intense feedback, because normally my ideas are born, not of a brilliant mind, but of far too much sugar. And insanity. >.>

I was thinking that perhaps the gods became bored, especially the ones that enjoy violence or battle or tactics, so they sent a messenger to a famed architect and were like 'Yeah. Build a Coliseum.'
So he did, and they held their games there, until the Valterrian when it became half-destroyed. Of course, ghosts of gladiators enjoy haunting this Coliseum, and sometimes reinacting fights with each other.

Eventually, after the whole drama died down, the gods kind of rediscovered the Coliseum, now in ruins. They decided to have it repaired slightly and for the games to go on. As repairs were being made, a god/dess noticed the ghosts reinacting a fight scene out of boredom and, entertained, asked them to show him/her more fights. The ghosts did so, acting out the fights they died in, and the dead champion bowed before him/her as he had once before, a long time ago. The god/dess decided to grant one wish of the champion, seeing as he had once won the games. He made a wish (which so far I haven't been bothered to make up) and the god/dess granted it. The champion ghost was then able to move on and let go.
A couple of passing humans heard this story from the remaining ghosts. They, along with those who were doing the repairs, decided to battle it out once the coliseum was finished, and the champion would undoubtedly have their wish granted by the gracious god/dess.

So, the idea is basically the winner is granted any wish by the god/dess, intense XP, a Gnosis mark, etc. It's not an extremely creative idea. :disgust:
Maybe somebody else can come up with something more exciting.

Yeah, I don't know. I'm not really an authority on plot/arc ideas. >.>
Originally I was gonna say that ghost champions have their life restored, nuit are given their own body and mortal champions gain eternal life, but I thought that was a little... ah, I don't know. I guess the other idea isn't very good, either. Ack, I suck at this. Any help, here?
Tyuru

Character sheet

Postby John Vicari on May 4th, 2010, 11:15 pm

I have a few ideas. Will run them by everyone once I flesh them out and such.
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Dusk on May 5th, 2010, 7:35 am

Keep in mind that several cities already have a way to fight for money/pride. The Spinning Coin in Syliras hosts cage fights where players can pummel each other for gold or entertainment. :)
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Next