Zinrah Public Development

For all Zinrah related PCs or interested authors who wish to help develop Zinrah.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The unassuming den of the Constrictor Dhani, it is truly a pit of snakes. Travelers should take care, because the Dhani are always hungry... [Lore]

Postby Schism on August 5th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Zinrah Community Development

You win…

This thread is dedicated to all PCs who aspire to contribute to Zinrah beyond the story, for those who wish to create the elements of the environment around us such that we may better immerse ourselves in the fantasy, if such a thing were possible.

We have a process here in Zinrah for development, just to keep people on task. It’s not to spoil your creative juices, it’s to keep focus, and to sate my demand for order.

Our process:
1) Notify what article(s) you would like to develop.
This lets me keep track of who has what so projects don’t overlap. If you’d like to co-write with another PC in the domain on an article, agree to it before hand. If you want to tag on a project that has already started, ask the writer first, and then come to me. It’s best to work via PMs so we have a track record of what is being said, just to have the paper work and keep it business like. :)

2) Begin your draft.*
Start drafting your location, NPC(s), flora, fauna, etc. here in the development thread. I encourage you save a personal copy, but please keep an updated version here so we can stay in communication to view article progress, as well as article pros and cons. I’m not trying to baby you and hold your hand; this is our display of team work. Reach out into Zinrah. Don’t look solely to make a single location and NPC, rather look to have another series of web connections to Zinrah’ vicious network of sides and powers.

*”Templates” will be listed afterwards. Relations – family, business, friendships, etc. – regarding “Moderation Required” NPCs should e preapproved by Schism. Connections to Zinrah’s NPC powers are absolutely encouraged though! Just make sure I’m informed and approve.

3) Review, revise, edit. Be both a writer and a critic.
Sometimes we can nail an article on the first shot, and it’s beautiful. I have a habit of doing this. I go on a spree just write up the whole article in a matter of hours, wondering where the time went, thoroughly impressed from a glance at my work. I miss a lot by doing that, silly grammar or spelling errors and such. We have plenty of writers well versed in the English language and procedures. Help each other in reviewing these things. I’d even say poke Cayenne if you’re really worried you missed something (Don’t let her know I told you, but she loves copy editing! Remember, shhh). Just be polite about it, and realize she, like the rest of us, has a busy life style of her own. ;)

As you develop, helps others develop. If you’re not co-writing, that doesn’t mean you can’t still brain storm. I do ask you examine what the author has going on first though, and try to build onto it, enhance the idea, rather than modify it. Do not sugar coat, do not “give [your] two cents”, do not give a thumbs up and leave, and absolutely do not ignore the other articles! This is your domain as well as any others. We want to hit the nail on the head. I don’t want to read about how “terrible” you feel something is written; make the suggestions on how to improve the article (SPECIFIC EXAMPLES). If you think you can do better, I expect to see the PM in my inbox with the proposal to write a better article, and results following soon after. Prove it to me.

Once we’ve sucked the life out of the revision process, I’ll give a thumbs up and we’ll get to posting it. The author receives full credit for the post and such will be noted. It’s up to the author to welcome credit to other PCs who invested their ideas; they must notify me direction “I’d like to give credit to Joe too” or “Give John credit for this section here.”

4) Approval and “publication”/posting.
Sometimes I’ll be the one to give an article a look over and say “Good to go, thank you so much, I’ll post it immediately. Any final input on credits, etc.?” Cayenne or Rage might also have their input (though the latter should really be minding Taloba, right?! Stinky Myrians…). Cayenne overrides me in every way. If you have a problem with my decision, ask her about it. Remember we all have a goal in development, part of which is keeping Falyndar’s identity true.

*) Rinse and repeat.
If you only wanted to develop this one area and are done, that’s cool too. Every article YOU write is one less I need to. Not to say I don’t love it, but seriously, it’s a Market… The real magic there will be with the NPCs. Go back to Step 1 if you want to choose a new article.

The Templates:
Below are a series of templates for the basic information necessary for the respective articles. Expand the required areas as much as necessary, and feel free to add additional sections as necessary. Pretty up the templates all you will. The only ones that will stay though are locations with BBC. I’d like to put the rest into the Wiki. :P

To take a template, click to select all of the code, Copy, then Paste in a word document/etc. to fill it in. Remember to paste a copy of your progress in here, then you can edit the page from the forum as well.

NOTICE: WHEN MENTIONING ANOTHER ARTICLE (i.e.Zinrah) WITHIN YOUR OWN, PUT A [[double bracket]] AROUND THE WORD. This will hyperlink the word to THAT article. You only do this for the first mentioning of a city, god, NPC, etc. For underline, bold, italics, note it in BBC for wiki formatted locations and I can make those adjustments. Thank you!!!

The Location Template:
Code: Select all
[frame=black][center][webfont=28 Days Later][size=200]Location Name][/size][/webfont]
[img]Location Image Here[/img]
Regarding images, keep in mind how the glow stones give everything in the city an eerie, blue glow. I can edit pictures if you can supply original URLs. I can also resize them. If you’d prefer doing this yourself, I can tell you how too! I really just use paint and a default photo editor with my desktop.

All the information on the location will go here. This includes a description, purpose, and operation hours as applicable. If it’s a special location requiring moderation (such as a magical location or something) then make it a Moderator’s Note at the very end of the article.
Moderator’s Note(s): Like this. I’d say if it’s free to play, etc.
Finally, I include a navigate back link for user friendliness… because the back button is hard to find!
[url=http://www.mizahar.com/forums/post180137.html#p180137]Navigate back to Zinrah Link Map[/url][/center][/frame]

Locations will maintain their own coding because they are posted in the forum and then to the Link Map, and so on. Make them as colorful, interesting, and informative as you can. If you want to add some mystery to a location, let me know the truth behind it, and we can just drop hints in the article… you know what I mean… Oh yeah.

The NPC Template:
{{Quote
|text = "Your text will go here.”
| author = NPC Name, title here if applicable
}}
{{
Infobox Character
|race = [[The Race, typically Dhani]] (If there’s a sub-race or applicable note on the race)
|image = The image.jpg/gif/etc. I need the images to upload to the wiki. If you personally upload them, you just put the img code here (i.e |image = Name.jpg)

|birthyear = Just the number, the wiki puts the date in. These should all be AV dates unless a Nuit/Ethaefal
|birthplace = [[City here]]

|title = Title if applicable

|skill1 = [[Skill 1]]
|level1 = I’ll take care of this

|skill2 = [[Skill 2]]
|level2 = Also mine.

Only include notable skills in the skill kit. Try to cut off the listed skill at 9 skills maximum. Again, I will handle the numbers for balancing purposes

|gnosis1 = [[Gnosis name]]
|gnosislevel1 = Suggest a number, but we have the final say here. Siku marked 1’s are common in Zinrah’s company. There might be a few marked by Caiyha’s Phylonura too. Others are considerable, but should be thoroughly explained in Character History.
}}

Give a brief overview of the NPC here. The general outlook and such.

==Appearance==
Include the appearance here. Dress, skin, smells, the sound of their voice, all of that; stature. you name it.
[[File:Another image.jpg if you find something else. Regarding Dhani I use a snake image in the article to show the two extreme forms.|left/right/center alignment|frame|”Put a snazzy quote here” or a caption/title]]
The previous addition isn’t required, but helps spize up an article if you have more image to use! No limit to the use so long as the page isn’t awkwardly covered. I might move them in the article for the ideal layout though.  They can go ANYWHERE outside info boxes :P
===Sub Appearance note IDK my bff jill===
You add another set of ==s around the title to make a subsection within this section. Maybe an Ethaefal would have two subsections on the appearances for day and night, or a Dhani’s three forms divided up more thoroughly. Just informing you how the wiki formats here.

==Personality==
Tell me about the personality. Likes, dislikes, opinions, outlook, goals (known and secret) remember we have metagaming rules, so you can both reveal and hide all you want. Hiding makes for better plots later, ya know?
==Family/Relationships/Connections==
Whatever you want to call it. It’s how the NPC relates to other NPCs.

{{
Threads |title = NPC’s Appearances
|defaultpic = NPCimage.jpg
|url1 = Link to home location, usually
|thread1 = Location Name
|desc1 = One liner about said location above.
|pic1 = NPCimage again.jpg It’s a weird formatting thing for the wiki
}}

[[Category:Zinrah]]  <this stays, because it’s all for Zinrah!

The Fauna Template:
{{Quote
|text = "Quote text here."
| author = Author, applicable title
}}
{{Infobox Monster
| type = [[ Typically Beast, if it’s a Djedic, Valterric, Landspawn, you note that here]]
| image = Imgof beast here.jpg
| frequency = Uncommon-common-etc.
| threat = Low-medium-high-very high-etc.

| features = notable physical features in brief, sharp claws, etc.
| abilities = What the beast is good for, or other notable abilities. For example, venom.

| common = The location. Should Zinrah or elsewhere in Falyndar’s borders. Otherwise it should be in world development
}}
Brief description/overview here.

==History==
How they came to be, or how they came to be tamed, etc. It depends on the beast being designed. The salamanders in Zinrah have been there for a long time, but have evolved. That info goes here.

==Appearance==
[[File:Img2.jpg|alignment|frame|Caption]]
Be specific, detailed, and snazzy like you’re the expert. You should be. A NPC with thorough knowledge of the detailed appearance can then be able to refer to these traits as s/he has observed.

==Abilities==
You can give a brief overview for multiple abilities here, or divide them in one section.

===Specific ability 1===
If a certain ability needs to be explained in depth. The venom of a giant lizard or something for example.

===Specific ability 2===
For another specific and alternative ability. Maybe our giant lizards can be mounted as well, as an example.
===And so on===
Text here.

==Behavior==
The natural behavior here, without training. Domestic animals fall back on this section sometimes. Training alters that and is very circumstantial.

===Personalities===

Really, if applicable. A certain level of sentience is needed for this too. If the beast can be trained, then yes, include it here, and how personalities reflect.

==Lifespan==
Try to include a break down of the animal’s life cycle here. Birth, early age name, etc. to elder and death.  Explain canges in the life span too.

==Diet==
What they need to eat, and what their other options are. Carnivorous, herbivore, omnivore, djed eater…eats sunlight, who knows.

==Mating/Reproduction==
Mating season, mating rituals. Be mature about it. Multiple partners, mate for life, mate for a time span? Note it here.

{{OOC| Any OOC notes as applicable.
}}

The Flora Simple Template:
Name here
Seasons: When they bloom, flower, make fruit, etc. Annual, perennial, biannual, all that goes here.
Appearance: What it looks like. If it changes, note it and how it changes in the seasons/
Purposes: Medical, food, poisons, that stuff here.
Clime: What specific regions of Zinrah are the plants native to, of Falyndar. Do they grow in Zinrah’s caves or out in the ruins.

Credit to Colombina for the template. I look a look at the Eyktol Flora listing and found it short, sweet, simple, yet very useful. This is what we’d use for less descript, common flora.

The Flora “Complex” Template:
We’ll use this for our utterly bizarre, custom flora. These types of plants require a wiki article.
]{{Quote
|text = "Quote text here."
| author = Author, applicable title
}}
{{Infobox Flora
| type = [[Flora]]
| image = Img of flora here.jpg
| frequency = Uncommon-common-etc.
| threat = Low-medium-high-very high-etc.

| features = notable physical features in brief, thorns, colors, etc.
| abilities = What the beast is good for, or other notable abilities. For example, poisons or food.

| common = The location. Should Zinrah or elsewhere in Falyndar’s borders. Otherwise it should be in world development.
}}
General overview here.

==History==
Fill in as needed. We can assume more of it is native to Falyndar/Zinrah unless it’s a result of the Valterrian or Djed Storm. Note that here.

==Appearance==
The general appearance. If it changes with the seasons…
===Spring===
What it looks like in Spring here.
===Summer===
===Fall===
===Winter===

==Abilities and Uses==
If it has any notable abilities. If the plant can be harvested and modified for another use, like a poison, note it. If it needs to be cured before it can be eaten, note that too.

==Behavior/personality==
If it opens and closes in the day. If we have anything sentient going on note it here. If it is a carnivorous plant, note that here too, and how it “hunts.”

==Lifespan==
Do they live forever, annually etc. Tell me about that here.

==Reproduction==
Spores, cones, fruit, all that fun stuff. Is it self pollinating?

==Other section you see necessary==

}}

The Disease Template:
{{|Quote
|text = “Text.”
|author = Author, title
}}
{{Infobox Disease
|type = [[Disease]] (Biological, Mental, Magical, Divine, or Other)
|image = if applicable, maybe a shot of symptoms in action, or image of perhaps the parasite, depending on the illness. Find something! Get creative!
|frequency = uncommon, etc.
|common = [[Zinrah]] preferably

|features = brief overview of symptoms
|abilities = if there are any unique abilities while infected
}}

Brief overview.

==Contagion==
airborne, waterborne, direct contact, ingestion, dreams (for some nightmare magical type maybe; get it dream puns)

==“History”/Origin==
If applicable. Is it new, or has it been around since Mizahar was inhabited?

==Disease progression==
A run-through of Day 1 to done. What symptoms show at what “stages” in the disease’s progression. At what stages does the disease require higher healing methods, Rak’keli’s gnosis, what mark, etc. What’s the ultimate end to the disease’s cycle. For living things, bacteria and parasites, how if their live cycle integrated into this infection. What lasting effects are there from the disease if it is stopped prematurely? Can it be caught more than once? Are the symptoms amplified or reduced. In the presence of The Shroud, a Blight marked, how does the disease intensify in terms of timing or severity; are there added symptoms in that care that are normally unnoticed?
===Stage one===
Day overview and break down. Continue until the disease runs full course or the victim dies.

==Cure==
mundane or magical? What specific drugs, herbs, etc are needed to brew a cure? Is it just time and bed rest? What things need to be done to maintain the body of the infected (i.e. dehydration is a symptom, keep hydrated). Any and all alternatives. Specific substances involved (flora/fauna derived, alchemy mixtures, those kinds of things, get crazy).

==Relief==
If the disease cannot be cured, what can curve the symptoms. This involves our special substances too. Free reign. Look into other flora and fauna in making the cures!

}}

Schism
AS: Zinrah & The Jungle Wilds

Words: 118707
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 2:32 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Kara Sunderwater on August 12th, 2012, 8:29 am

One thing that I think would be really helpful would be some culture articles that go into greater detail about daily life in Zinrah, male-female interaction relationships, family structures and dynamics, and things like that. The sort of social knowledge and things that are obvious to the characters, having grown up with it but not quite so clear to player creating the characters.

For example, do Constrictors stick with one partner? Do they have kids with multiple partners? How much emotional attachment, if any, are in these relationships? Is there such a thing as (what we would call) love or marriage?

How would society feel about a young female snubbing an old male veteran (youth+gender dominance vs seniority+gender subordination)?

Developing this kind of culture would help players understand the serpentine mindset of the GREATEST race on Mizahar. Greater, even, than those lesser Dhani, the Vipers and Rattlers.
Kara Sunderwater
Player

Words: 36572
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2011, 4:48 pm
Race: Human, Svefra

Postby Schism on August 12th, 2012, 5:44 pm

I'm not sure how to answer this because everything you asked is explained in the Society section of the Dhani wiki.

Maybe the every-day is implied, but not as clear as we'd like it to be. The Dhani, in Zinrah at least, are survivalists. Each day is a struggle to leave the nest to hunt for food. It's a struggle because the jungle is a danger, it's a greater danger with the Myrians, and nothing stays the same (so there's really no routine to fall into). Those unable to hunt, or labeled too precious to risk, are supplied food from designated hunters. They can swallow and regurgitate prey in question of how the meal is transported back to the nest. It's not pretty to us, but it's a sign someone cares (or at least serves his/her duty) for those incapable. They're carnivores (also lore) so the meal suits them.

When not hunting, Dhani are stuck in Zinrah more often than not. Imagine being stuck in a cave for the majority of your life, same people, same living space... It can drive someone mad. So, you build relationships and find ways to explore something new. The endless competition of the nest's top wrestler is on-going. All Dhani, generally speaking, have some sort of art or trade they are seek to devote themselves to. It draws their attention, leads them to focus, and in a way escape the truth that they are snakes trapped in their own home. Their craft, in this way, is often high quality. They have th time and place to work uninterupted. It's no wonder.

I'd say that family has two levels. There is the whole family, the Nest, and then there are the "nuclear families", which seem larger than our idea because Dhani are so long lived. The nest family cares for itself, they trade between themselves, and as previouslly mentioned provide for their own, even on the most basic levels. There is certainly a hint of pride in each Dhani that fights on in the elderly. At one time, they provided for themselves and others, and it's devistating to see that let go. As long as they aren't loungeing aroud, they are still cared for. The matriarch structure is well developed in the wiki. Each family has a Queen (lesser), and they all answer to Tanabis.

Reproduction is important when its a battle of hundreds versus tens of thousands in the jungle. We know females can mate for life, and some males do get around. It goes back to the idea of having a relationship, and who you're welcoming into your dwelling. Snakelings are precious and guarded by all, well, except snakelings themselves. They need to be watched so they don't kill eachother pretty much, before they learn "right" and "wrong" in the nest. This can be overlooked though...depending on the circumstances. Females are still on top when it comes to mating. They are stronger, they call the shots. Males are often competing to win over a female. So while the age difference might be possible, the odds are slim when the nest has so many other males who would be superior choices. Looking at the longevity of Dhani, what's young and old is also a gray area.

I think a lot of what's being said is really just an interpretation. If you're finding holes, they are for you to fill in. We write stories here, so why limit your ideas by the guidelines of what all Dhani do all the time? Families are still families, they love, fight, and in this world betray when it comes to it. The same goes for relationships, sometimes it's romantic, other times lustful. You have a flip in the physical stature between sexes though.

On emotional attachment, read the Political lore in Zinrah. Nhamo went on a murderous blitz against the Myrians when her children were killed. It should seem like an odd situation, royal blood being spilled so easily, but that just hints at more of the political strife in the nest, and how dirty the Dhani can be. Of course, the children could have just as easily been killed by Myrians. Why they were outside of the nest brings up more questions. There are many possibilities, all kept vague for your entertainment purposes. :P Check our Hiari sometime...she's not the cool lady people think her to be all the time. (Warning: don't metagame by accident with this info. :P). Dhani are children from ages 0-100...there is definitely attachment there. When that leaves the 250 odd something years to mate, there is mor attachment there as well.

---

Back on the topic of developing the nest, our domain, refer to the information above. Let's develop the Dhani culture IC unless we really need to do so otherwise. Most of what I said is hinted at in the lore page, it just takes a few connections, a look at some NPCs, and then it clicks. There are many possibilities just to what happened with Nhamo's children, but it spreaks of the possible actions that other Dhani have taken.

I hope this info helped and gave a bit of insight to the residents of Zinrah. Cayenne will surely correct me if anything is off.

I'm developing the magical locations and NPCs as we speak. Feel free to help out and develop other locations. Thank you.
Schism
AS: Zinrah & The Jungle Wilds

Words: 118707
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2012, 2:32 am
Race: Staff account
Office