Quest Dead Like Me

In which a Ghost and a Nuit Find Common Ground.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on August 9th, 2012, 7:29 am

The brief interruption of this strange bald man displeased him greatly! The thought of possessing this old human wasn't quite far from his thoughts until he mentions ''strange occurrences ''frustration turned quickly into curiosity! The thought of mischief was being done and he was going to be in on it? This thought sparked very malicious thoughts of how much chaos and dismay would take place.

Hmm... Investigation services huh? I'm certainly glad I appeared when I did!'' Noaru thought to himself.

While unseen, Noaru kept his distance from Anselm and his guest, he floated in the air upside just above the table listening in on the conversation for even he can't pass up potentially interesting stories or events.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on August 14th, 2012, 10:18 am

The man opened his mouth partially as if to protest against Anselm's barrage of questions, but stopped himself in time, instead leaving himself looking like a gaping goldfish. An incoherent word or two stuttered out before he got a firm grip on himself, shaking his head as if to reorientate himself.

"Yes, yes... I suppose you want details," He began in a whiny, soft-spoken voice. "Strange happenings were happening in my property, and I'm afraid it is quite disconcerting. Things will sometimes move by themselves, and there is always... feeling of dread whenever I cross into the lines of the manor. It is... the feeling of always being watched. Of course, I suspected it to be ghosts, and engaged the services of a Spiritist through my contacts, but the Spiritist is unable to confirm nor deny if a ghost is indeed responsible for it."

Sighing, he continued, "The strange happenings seemed to calm down when the Spiritist is there, but whenever he is gone the eerie incidents start again."

Putting a hand down on the table, the man looked straight at Anselm quite seriously, a contradiction from his nervous body behaviour.

"I prefer to keep my investigations private, Mister Anselm. Should the Guard be notified, it is likely that the matter may become public, and the market price of my property will plummet. I refuse to suffer such a ridiculous loss, and I plan to discreetly resolve this issue so that I can rid myself to this property."

"What I want you to do, Mister Anselm, is to do what the Spiritist cannot. Find out the root of all these problems; whether it is a ghost or not I don't care. I will pay you for helping me to find out what exactly is behind all of this, and what I can do to resolve it."
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on August 15th, 2012, 2:33 am

Anselm was silent for several long moments. Then he said: “So we have several salient facts. Six to be exact. First, you have recently acquired a property near the pass. Second, things in the house sometimes move by themselves. Third, when in the house you experience a feeling of dread, as though you are being watched. Fourth, you engaged the services of a Spiritist who was unable to confirm or deny the presence of a ghost in the house. Fifth, things seem to calm down when the Spiritist is present, but pick back up again when he leaves. Sixth, you want to keep this affair quiet because you intend to sell the property soon.”

He again fell silent while he rolled the facts around in his mind. “It is a curious situation. I would like to see the house.”
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on August 15th, 2012, 4:12 am

‘'Heh. Sounds like things might become interesting after all! The details this old man just mentioned carry some evidence of ''ghost tactics''. I'm aware of these things especially since I myself enjoy seeing the expression on people’s faces when I move an object across the room!''

Noaru was quite eager to see just what kind of ''ghost'' this was! There are ghosts but none like him, he would call himself an entity or spirit of sorts rather than a simple ghost. He became quite curious also of the old man himself, as ghosts don't just haunt anyone out of the blue: though, Noaru did since that's how he rolls! But, this old man had probably done something to the ghosts or was just some poor sap that provoked and or reminded the ghost of someone it hated; it probably isn't a ghost at all!

Noaru was now confusing himself with all his probabilities and guessing. So, he decides to keep quiet in order to observe what will unfold.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on August 17th, 2012, 12:25 pm

The man fell silent for a moment, as if weighing decisions in his mind.

"Alright, Mister Anselm. However, do heed that the strange happenings only occur come nightfall. If you are free now, I will show you the location of my property, and we will agree to meet there again at the twentieth bell."

The customer waited for Anselm to pack up his tent and resolve whatever administrative matters he had, then began striding out of the tent, the Seer in tow.

"You may call me Mister Thomas, Mister Anselm," The middle-aged man gasped as he walked. It was evident in his stride that this pace of walking was faster than his normal leisurely stroll, and that his stamina was not quite in the healthy side.

They walked outwards of Zeltiva, towards the Wildlands, and when the notable Mirahil Pass came into view, the mountains looming over the only land entrance to the city, he pointed at a large piece of land near it, covered in nominal fencing. At the middle of the piece of land stood a huge mansion, with its own crumbling garden and non-functional fountain.

"We shall meet again here at at the appointed timing. Good day to you, Mister Anselm," He stated, and headed back into the City, wanting to not go near his property if he had to.

There was time for Anselm to return to the city to gather supplies or to prepare anything that he would require by the appointed time. Or he could go ahead and investigate the house on his own, though he would have to consider the notions of trespassing on a property not far from a gathering of guards. Or perhaps he would be creative to think of another decision to make.
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on August 17th, 2012, 11:30 pm

The balding man walked away, obviously headed back to the city gate. Anselm would have liked to have seen the house in daylight before exploring it at night, but he feared he might draw unwanted attention were he to engage in blatant breaking and entering.

“So,” he said to no one in particular. “It's a shame I do not know a Ghost who could examine the property and house without being seen.” He had no idea whether the Ghost had followed them, or if it would be interested in a little investigative work if it had, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on August 18th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Noaru followed the two gentleman Mr. Thomas seemingly to ''weird'' in his eyes and Anselm to him was several times weirder he couldn't quite place the words he wanted to say together, it was then that once he had left the city that his jumbled thoughts were deemed unimportant as he laid his eyes upon the serene environment around him! This was Noaru's first time being out of the city for so long, he had almost forgotten what it felt like to be outside; this was a sign to him that he was becoming lazy.

''Well, I thought he was going to gives us a full tour... I want my money back! I was expecting a full tour not this nonsense!''

Noaru thought comically to himself, it was a dangerous sign that he was close to boredom and once he's officially bored... bad things happen to people. The spirits thoughts were briefly interrupted by Anselm's remark which causes him to pay attention to the mansion ahead of him. A spectacular place to look upon! He had never seen a house so magnificent before and now his curiosity was sparked [....blink....] Noaru was gone but he reappears just a short distance in front of Anselm [....blink....] he vanished once more and reappears literally running towards the house in his unseen state.

''''Nice place, I wouldn't mind spending my eternity here...''

He passes through the gate and comes to a complete stop once inside the garden, taking in the haunting environment that he loved observing so much! He wondered, if somehow.... Anselm would be able to enter, if he created a distraction of sort and a loud one at that. The spirit investigated the garden, looking closely with his eyes the areas with the densest bushes possibly an animal of some sort especially a large one could have created or found a hole along the sides of the gate near the woods and how someone could possibly enter without being scene, using that opening!

''''I've found something.....''

Noaru found something interesting there were severely rusted area's along the side of the gate near the forested area that probably were overlooked due to the garden's brush and nature of the animals since most wouldn't linger to close to the woods anyway. He thought this would be a good place to have his companion enter without being seen [....blink....] he disappears and reappears in front of the gate—he was unseen and Noaru had no idea how Anselm would ''see'' him.
Last edited by Noaru on August 20th, 2012, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on August 19th, 2012, 7:17 pm

OOC :
I'm going to assume that Noaru remained invisible throughout the last post. If that is incorrect, I will rewrite this post.

Seeing no sign of the Ghost, Anselm sat down with his back against a tree and systematically relaxed each part of his body. He turned his thoughts inward and began slowly chanting under his breath the mantra he had been taught by Master Ahn.

“Kona … Kaana … Kona … Kaana … Kona … Kaana.” The steady rhythm of the mantra gradually focused more and more of his conscious awareness inward rather than outward. The sounds and smells of the wooded area faded. He felt a gentle breeze on his face. “I feel you, I acknowledge you, I let you go for now.” A murder of crows was making a ruckus not too far away. “I feel you, I acknowledge you, I let you go for now.” As each new thought or sense intruded into his private inner world, he acknowledged it and set it aside. After a while he was entirely inside himself and the world was entirely outside. He would remain in this state for several bells, repeating the mantra: “Kona … Kaana … Kona … Kaana … Kona … Kaana.” He felt himself becoming increasingly detached or disconnect from the world. He no longer felt the ground beneath him or the tree at his back. It was as though he was floating in a vast sea of nothingness.

Anselm imagined a transparent sphere around himself. He tuned his auristic senses to it and began to expand it. As he did this, the various auras it encountered briefly showed themselves. With this broad, unfocused sense he picked little if any information. He was really just letting himself become aware of what was around him. Worms, crows, a chickadee, a family of rabbits, a mole, the tree, a huckleberry bush. Anselm called this “scanning,” a term of his own making. If he found something interesting, he would narrow the focus of his auristics to that one thing. But for now he was content to be aware of the little world of which he was the center.

Eventually the sphere expanded enough to encounter the auras of some people. They were some distance away and Anselm did not recognize them. He also discovered the aura of the Ghost Noaru. Apparently he had followed them out here. If he were to remain, he might prove useful in the upcoming investigation. In any case, Anselm would remain at the center of this web of awareness until the aura of the man Thomas intersected it, at which point he would awaken from his meditative trance to continue their investigation of the house.

Suggestion :
How about Noaru do another post in which he does some exploration of the interior of the house, just getting the layout of the place? Then Arcane can bring Thomas back.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on August 20th, 2012, 7:29 pm

OOC:
Secret :
Yes he was invisible in my last post! I should have used the word invisible instead of ''unseen'' that would have probably clarified a few things :retard:
I planned on entering the mansion after your post...

I guess this task will require me to be alone...

[....blink....] The spirit disappeared from the entrance gate and reappears within the garden as he walked past the statue. The true detail of the mansion could be seen; it was old and seemed to pull you in with its haunting yet enchanting charisma! Noaru was a spirit to inhabit such places but none of which stood as tall as a mansion; he felt a rush of excitement when he finally reached the front door of the exquisite manor and impatience gets the best of him, forcing him to gracefully and cautiously venture inside.

The building had a different atmosphere once you were inside. The stillness in the air made Noaru take on a more serious attitude and the silence would deceive someone into believing that they were truly alone here; he concealed his presence and ceased to move like he normally would, Noaru removed his feet from the ground and floats through the air silently in attempts to conceal his movements as stealth right now would be necessary.

''Mr. Thomas what did you do to get yourself into this predicament!?''

Noaru thought to himself, he tried to sense/detect the presences of other ghosts just in case, focusing his senses through the soulmist around his body to get a feel for things within the environment but due to his detection skills being so low he couldn't feel much besides the unwelcoming atmosphere that would most definitely drive others out.

''I'm not going any further! I'll just wait for someone to waltz on in here and observe what happens while hidden.''

Noaru thought to himself, as he sneaks into a dark corner by the front door waiting; he was always one to scheme nasty plots and if things went his way, it would succeed!
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on August 28th, 2012, 3:16 am

As Noaru entered the grounds, starting from the gardens, an unsettling quietness began to form within the core of the ghost's very self. It was a strange feeling, and one that ghosts are generally familiar with: the uneasy beginnings of loneliness.

The moment he entered the confines of the mansion, the yawning silence intensified and threatened to swallow him whole. Noaru suddenly felt the need to begin talking to himself, or at least create some sort of noise - whether internal or external - to settle the disquiet. It was a depressing mood, and one that made the ghost feel despair and complete loneliness. The feeling of being watched also started upon entering the house, and if Noaru were a mortal the hairs on the back of his neck would have stood and stiffened.

Other than that, the ghost would not be able to find out anything elseI will describe the layout, etc. of the mansion when the rest enters.

Bells passed, and as Anselm sought the inner quiet within himself, time went by undisturbed. When it was time for the meeting, two figures began to show themselves from the heart of the city, travelling outwards to find the meditating nuit near the property beside the MIrahil Pass.

Beside the familiar, unfit form of Mister Thomas strode a younger, green-eyed young man. Though his features were that of youth, the exhaustion that wrinkled his face proved to make him haggard-looking, and his eyes were sunken and haunted. This was the spiritist that Mister Thomas was referring to, and he seemed to have brought the young man along for extra insurance.

"Ahem," Mister Thomas cleared his throat, bringing Anselm back to reality. "I see that you decided to stay here instead." Though he did not say it, the disapproval in the client's voice was apparent. He had assumed the investigator would return to town for preparations or whatnot. Still, it was not his place to question the man for investigation was not his forte nor profession. He paid for results, and regardless what Anselm did if there were results, Mister Thomas would be satisfied.

"Jason Gravis, Spiritist. Anselm, Investigator. Jason, Anselm. Anselm, Jason. Now if there no further questions, let us proceed."

OOCHere's your chance to ask any questions from the Spiritist or Mister Thomas before setting off for the house!
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

PreviousNext