Quest Dead Like Me

In which a Ghost and a Nuit Find Common Ground.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on August 31st, 2012, 12:43 am

As they walked toward the house the Nuit, using his silver-handled cane for balance, said with his usual measured gravelly voice, “Mr. Gravis, seeing that you are at the very least a competent spiritist and more likely an expert in the field, I wonder if I might take advantage of this opportunity to ask you a few question?” He launched into a series of questions without waiting for a reply.

“First, how long have you been studying spiritism?

“Second, how did you come to be engaged by Mr. Thomas?

“Third, are you well? You look like you have not been sleeping well of late.”

They reached the house. His employer unlocked the door and they entered.

“Fourth, perhaps you could scan the immediate area for us to ensure there are no ghosts currently in residence.”
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on August 31st, 2012, 11:06 pm

''This... This sudden feeling of loneliness that accompanies this silence cannot be the work of a ghost could it? Well then, show me, show me the full extent of your hatred towards the humans, and show me the true extents of your..... Madness’’

Noaru wasn't a particularly ''well rounded'' spirit like others would think of him to be: it was all a facade to allow him to get closer and dig deeper into those unwary souls! He was intrigued, it was this ''presence'' being exerted into the air that seemed to feed his hunger towards negativity, vengeance, and blackness; he wanted to experience more and sees what the ''ghost'' could really do besides staring and having him experience the presence of despair! He wanted to see things fly and be smashed against surfaces; anger, frustration being displayed at its grandest... not this.

Noaru released a small chuckle as his eyes flared white in the dimly light room; he was looking forward to all: actually, he wishing something would happen, something that would blow the minds of the three guests behind him. The spirit turns with his body floating in the air; he couldn't help but feel a peculiar presence emitting from the ''new'' addition to the party and hearing the title ''spiritist'' confirmed his suspicions, he didn't like the idea of the spiritist being here especially with his ability to ''sense'' spirits and ghosts.

He begins to slowly float backwards into the shadows of the room, he blends in perfectly as he tries to conceal his presence from the spiritist and his ghostly companion who's lurking somewhere out of view: though, this could be a wasted effort but he should at least try to be somewhat stealthy in his actions.
Last edited by Noaru on September 5th, 2012, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on September 5th, 2012, 10:25 am

"A pleasure, Mister Anselm," The spiritist shook the nuit's clammy hands. If there were any signs of discomfort in contact with a veritable corpse, the man hid it well. "I have been apprenticing under the more renowned Hagern Vilfer for around three years already. As he is currently off on an extended trip to Black Rock, as the eldest apprentice I am the de-facto manager and administrator of his business and firm."

The trio walked closer to the property, and Mister Thomas took out his keys to unlock the garden gate.

"Most people in Zeltiva would know to contact my master if they wished for a quiet and discreet investigation of possible ghostly interference. It is by that reputation that Mister Thomas came to us. As my master is not here, I took up the case instead."

The environmental noise that was generally present in nature began to die down as the entered the garden, and even then a general feeling of gloom was beginning to set in.

As they moved closer to the house, Jason Gravis stopped to stare at Anselm in a disquieting manner, "Years of constant paranormal investigations do wonders on your psyche, Mister Anselm. It is not an easy task that we have."

It seemed that more than his haunted eyes bore into that of the nuit before the spiritist averted his gaze, gesturing for their employer to open the door that they have now reached.

Entering the mansion, Anselm would first be struck by the grandeur of the place. A large chandelier hung in front of them, though now there were cobwebs about it. In the distance there were pictures hanging on walls with ornate frames, and even the furniture around spoke of intricate craftsmanship. The house had seen grander days, and it showed in its current state of disrepair and lack of maintenance.

Jason's eyes lit up in glee as he hummed, surveying the area intently as he muttered to Anselm conversationally his hands in his pocket in a casual manner, "In the past days that I have checked this place out I could not find any verifiable evidence of spiritual activity. Some of the symptoms were there of course, but it was not enough to prove that this was a ghost's doing. Except... now."

As he muttered that last word, he quickly threw a small dart from his pocket that he had been preparing. The dart flew straight and true towards Noaru's current location. It was no ordinary dart, of course, but a soul dart.

It seemed that there was a major misunderstanding that was about to occur.
Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on September 6th, 2012, 3:17 am

The dart was in the air before Anselm even realized the Spiritist had taken it out of his pocket. He watched dumbfounded as it flew across the room toward … what? Anselm began the process of pushing his Djed to his eyes and bringing his auristic vision to bear. But the event unfolding in front of him would be over long before he managed that.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on September 6th, 2012, 6:33 pm

''I expect nothing less from a spiritist, he's capable of sensing my location still even while I'm hiding!''

He did not want to be struck by that dart! The sheer effort it takes to regain and stabilize the soulmist within his own body was strenuous enough, but regenerating it after being hurt is stressful and requires a whole day for him to recover, he did not want to spend a whole day recuperating; he could sense and see the soulmist coated dart hurtling towards him [...Blink...] he vanishes from where he was and quickly retreats to the upper floor hallway, just above the party of three. Noaru had a crazed looked upon his face, fuming with excitement he was looking forward to this ''hunt''! He had to plan things through though, he wasn't alone here even while he was concealing his presence and remaining invisible--there was another spirit here with him who could potentially be ''unsociable''.

''That spiritist will be a problem, but the other two will be easy picking! However, I ‘am unsure of Mister Thomas and Anselm they two might be spiritists... I'll just keep my distance and stalk them carefully through this house; stealth and detection will be essential elements I will need here.''

Noaru carefully floats away from where he emerged from, unwilling to face a surprise dart coming through the floor beneath him; he kept his distance from the party of three and listened for movement, speech and potentially soulmist since he was a sucker for soulmist. He believed that his part will come and sooner or later.... he could repay the spiritists hospitality with pain, if that moment came.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on September 7th, 2012, 2:18 pm

The dart bounced off the wall and fell harmlessly to the floor. The spiritist was looking around, presumably trying to follow his target. By this time Anselm had gotten his auristic vision working and scanned around the room as well. He called it “scanning” because he wasn't really focusing in on any particular aura, just letting aura's come into focus enough to recognize them. The world around him became a kaleidoscope of pulsating colors and shapes overlapping each other and bleeding into each other. It was disorienting but it was the quickest way to locate the aura's of living things, which stood out more brightly than the others. He saw the ghost disappear around a corner at the top of the stairs. It was Noaru.

“Stop!” he shouted while gargling gravel. “That's my partner!” He continued scanning the room, picking up the spiritist, whose aura was so bright that it almost hurt to look at it, and his employer. And something else?

OOC :
I jumped the posting order to get Anselm's action in before Arcane replies. I'm assuming Arcane knows what this "haunting" is about and that Noaru and I should not make something up on our own, but should "discover" it as the investigation unfolds.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Arcane on September 8th, 2012, 3:16 am

The soul-dart missed, but the spiritist had not been banking on it hitting. He had fought more than one ghost before and clearly knew of their ability to blink away. That attack was meant as a distraction while he retrieved the rest of his weapons, and in a flash the man was holding a small hand-crossbow, a soulmist-enchanted bolt already loaded in place.

While Gravis sighted down his weapon, Anselm quickly interrupted him, to which he cautiously lowered his weapon but still keeping his general aim at where Noaru was.

"That ghost's your partner? Then why is he lurking about?" The spiritist began warily. "Mister Thomas did not tell me anything about hiring a ghost as well. If that is the case I want your... partner to make proper introductions."

He continued to keep his sights on Noaru, ready to place another bolt into the ghost should it try anything funny. Unlike the previous time where it was hand-thrown, this bolt would travel at a much faster and more accurate pace, and unless the ghost had extremely fast reflexes it would be hard to escape the next attack.

OOC :
Well yes, it is exactly as Anselm pointed out. What's the point of having a modded thread if you want to dictate the outcome? You'd might as well self-mod -.-" Feel free to make assumptions and guesses but they may not be right. For example, Noaru might be pretty sure there's another ghost in there, but it could just be his imagination. Each of my post reveals a little of the mystery discreetly, it's up to the perceptive player to put two and two together and uncover the mystery. There's a bonus reward for resolving it too :)

Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on September 9th, 2012, 8:55 am

''Partner.....’’

That was the only thing Noaru could say after realizing and remembering what he was truly hear for and that was to resolve a mystery not possess or cause mischief! Though, he wasn't going to appear before that trigger happy spiritist just yet, he was just going to wait a while at least till things started to heat up a tad bit... All he could do is be quiet and listen to what the three below him had to say before he could reply or go about doing anything; he just remained floating in one place, observing his surroundings with his eyes and other senses. The spirit had a change of heart and started to wander to where he previously was which was at the entrance of the mansion; he was in the hallway near the stairs, waiting for the others to approach him.

He had a bit of change of heart though since he didn't want a soulmist coated bolt jammed into his chest, he changed his mind set a bit and threw away the idea of possessing someone.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Dead Like Me

Postby Anselm on September 9th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Anselm wasn't quite sure why he had declared Noaru to be his partner. It was a foolish thing to do and would probably lead to exactly the sort of entanglement he generally tried to avoid. On the other hand, he could think of any number of ways in which a Ghost might be helpful. But not if he was turned into dust.

“A Ghost seemed like a good partner to have when investigating a haunted house,” he explained. “We certainly meant no offense or deception.

“Noaru, perhaps you should materialize and introduce yourself.”
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Dead Like Me

Postby Noaru on September 12th, 2012, 4:36 am

''He did vouch for me...’’

A dark cloud of soulmist traveled through the air above the staircase, it quickly comes to a stop as its ghastly form changed into a more profound shape--this cloud shaped into a large forty-five inches tall seven-foot long black hound, he floated in mid-air as a dissatisfied grin formed across his face, he was just as distrusting of the spiritist as he was of him. Noaru cautiously descends towards the top of the stair case and sits there as he introduces himself to those before him.

I'am Noaru Anselms partner in this investigation; our introductions were a bit rough but I'm sure we won't wield any resentment towards each other, right?''

The spirit said calmly as if trying to persuade any hostility that did remain to disappear, he saw that Anselm acknowledge his potential usefulness in the investigation and wanted to repay the small favor with cooperation based on his ''teammates'' cooperation that is.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext