Question on Reimancy

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Question on Reimancy

Postby Griffith on May 22nd, 2010, 10:50 pm

Can Res (the non-transmuted stuff Reimancers emit) be reabsorbed into the body after it's been summoned, so long as it hasn't been transformed into an element?

I ask because the ritual for initiation as a Reimancer mentions Res being poured into the new Reimancer's body, and that the initiating Reimancer can cut or withdraw their end of it, so I was wondering what that meant in case of, say, a Reimancer producing Res in anticipation of a fight, but that it becomes a false alarm and the Reimancer no longer needed to transmute the Res into anything. Could the Reimancer just pull the Res back in?
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Question on Reimancy

Postby Emory Ruin on May 28th, 2010, 1:33 pm

I would say yes, if it hasn't been transformed into an element of any kind at any level.

The wizard/sorceror should be able to simply breathe it back in or absorb it the same way he released the Res.
Emory Ruin
I'll Light The World in Fiery Peril

Words: 27338
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Question on Reimancy

Postby Tarot on May 28th, 2010, 1:52 pm

The answer is yes, but not with 100% efficiency. You may have noticed our magic is designed after certain pseudo-scientific concepts. In this case, it's a bit like the second law of thermodynamics: a part of the Res will be dissipated in the reconversion. The more skilled you are, the less you lose, but the process is not entirely reversible.

*makes a note to add this in the wiki*
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Question on Reimancy

Postby Torc Ironwood on May 28th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Hmmmmmmmm,

So would this also mean that a Reimancer could create a personal battery for himself and store his/her Res in it. I suppose that you would have to be a magecrafter or a natural element might contain this, but perhaps having an object would stunt the effects of overgiving?
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Question on Reimancy

Postby Griffith on May 28th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Thank you for the responses. Though I doubt it's possible, Torc's question interests me as well: What would happen if a Reimancer just kept a small container (maybe a canteen normally for water?) with some Res stored there? Would it be good to go until needed, or would it eventually dissipate on it's own?
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Question on Reimancy

Postby Tarot on May 28th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Not really. Res would decay the very moment you got it out of the glyph. You can capture a spell in a glyph, though. You just don't get a battery. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Question on Reimancy

Postby Griffith on May 28th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Hmm...

*Makes a note to have Griff learn Glyphing at some point*
>.>
<.<

Anyways, thanks for the help.
Griffith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Question on Reimancy

Postby Torc Ironwood on May 28th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Hmmmmmmm,

Thats sad, I was looking for a way to store res, not just spells. I figured just like a real battery that res would decay away, but in a slow manner. I will have to think about it, maybe build a magecraft device to generate controllable res and then have leeching to take it away.

Hmmmmm yeap going to have to think on it.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)