Closed Viper in the Sand (Ronin, Singh)

Shanapar guides Ronin and Singh through the desert to find a murderer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

Viper in the Sand (Ronin, Singh)

Postby Shanapar on March 6th, 2013, 4:07 am

Time Stamp: 5th of Spring, 513AV
Who: Singh and Ronin

Letter

Hello Ronin and Singh,

When the sun falls on the fifth day of spring we will set out in search of the murder of Singh's family. I will not lie to you the journey through the Burning Sands will not be easy since the spring sun burns warmer in the sky this time of year, so I want each of you to prepare for journey through the desert.

My father taught me when I was boy that the desert is a unmerciful place that buries the arrogant and kills the stupid. I trust neither of you are these things, so I want you to meet me by the second bend of the river by the cliff at dusk on the fifth moon of spring.

Your guide,
Shanapar the Untamed

Sitting on the tallest rock on the bend, Shanapar watched the water of the river flow by him. He knew he was going to miss the river when he leaves for Lhavit in two weeks, but something inside him knew he would stop his years of wandering in the city of the moon and the sun. He looked up at Shadow, and smiled at his raven as it picked at the carcass of a dead fish. Shanapar knew the Eywaat gave him the raven to watch him through the hard times of his journey. Suddenly, the cold evening breeze hit him and he felt a stinging on his chest. He looked down, and he saw the snake shaped scar on his chest. It was stitched up by the doctor, but he can still feel the cold knife biting into his skin. The doctor said it would leave a scar, but Shanapar knew if he was going to honor the memory of the dead snake woman. He would have to bear with it until it healed, but he had plans for the scar once it fully healed. He planned on putting a tattoo on his chest honor the warrior Syliss and her goddess Siku. He put a hand over the bandage, and he said a prayer to Eywaat to help him bear with his punishment a little longer.

Shanapar looked in the west over the desert, he saw the sun was starting to dip below the large sand dunes in the distance, and he said to himself in Tawna, “It is almost time for one life to fall another to rise again. I just hope Singh is strong enough to see the quest through to completion. Whatever the murder's fate will be in the end, Singh and Lhex will decide in the end.” Shanapar decided to do his last minute preparation. Shanapar stood up, and he walked down to the river.. He slipped off his black wrap and small clothes and waded into the river. He dipped his head into the water, and he started to drink until his water bladder was completely full. When he was completed, he walked out of the river letting the cool evening breeze dry his naked skin. He pulled out his empty water skin, dipped the opening into the river, and fill it with water. He reached into his backpack, pulled out his feathered mantle, and black leg wrap, and he started to dress in his people's night time clothing. He knew it was spring, so the night air would be quite chilly. When he was finished, he strapped his quiver onto his back and slung his bow over his shoulder. He walked back to his large rock waiting for his other two traveling companion to arrive.
Shanapar
The Wanderer

Words: 40307
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2013, 2:34 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Postby Ronin Invictus on March 7th, 2013, 1:11 am

Ronin trudged through the sandy dunes at a rather slow pace as the sun started to dip below the sandy landscape. Cold night time winds were just beginning to stir around now, making Ronin's skin tingle from the cool air. Ronin walked with intentional slowness, he was in no hurry to get to his destination. With him he did not carry very much, just the clothes on his back and a few items in his backpack, Ronin only carried essentials, he did not have any particular sentimental attachments to any items, nor did he wish to make any sort of connection. For Ronin knew that the world around him was a cruel place, more often than naught any attachments, or connections to anything would just lead to another cruel joke played on a man, for good things do not last forever, and when those things come to an end, only darkness replaces them.

Ever since Bethsyliss's death, or rather suicide, Ronin could only feel this dark void in her place. The kelvic seemed like a shadow of his former self, he did not wish to seek conversation with anyone, and he tried to hide his despair to avoid anyone feeling pity for him, and he was quite adept at this due to his natural instinct to hide his weaknesses, but the despair was never quite gone from his eyes, and he didn't smile, or laugh at any jokes. He did not wish for the pain to heal. He did not wish to forget, or move on. Bethsyliss had been his bondmate, and she would be the only one thereafter. Right now Ronin had only one reason to continue living, and that was to complete her final wishes, which she had written on her suicide note. After that, Ronin was unsure of what he would do, he did not wish to look forward to it.

During the recent days, the Kelvic had fallen into a vicious addiction of stealing things, although this had already started to develop before his bondmate's death, it was kept on check by her disapproval of stealing, but now there was nothing to stop him. Sometimes he would steal things without even noticing until after the fact, and he often would steal things he didn't even need or wanted. He did not feel any regret or guilt of stealing either, he had only felt those feelings because he knew Bethsyliss would not approve of that, and he actually cared about what she thought as his bondmate, but she wasn't around anymore.

Soon Ronin reached the top of one last dune, spotting the river down below. From the top of the dune he traced with his eyes down it until he spotted the bend in the river the letter had said they would meet. Sparing one last glance at the city of Ahnatep behind him, his old home, he started to make his way down to the large rock and Shanapar who was nearby. Once he had reached the man Ronin simply nodded gravely in greeting before settling against the rock and facing towards where he figured Singh, who had not shown up yet, would appear from. He remained quiet then, the silence hung heavy between the two, and Ronin did not wish to break it any time soon.
Ronin Invictus
Player

Words: 45120
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2013, 12:02 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Shanapar on March 8th, 2013, 2:03 am

Shanapar black eyes followed Ronin as he walked into camp. He was the first one to arrive. The Chaktawe didn't know much about the man other than he was Syliss's former lover. He seemed to have a kind face under all the pain. Shanapar heard about Syliss suicide, and he was disappointed that such a strong woman would kill herself. He didn't want to bring up her death during the quest, so he didn't say anything to the blond man. Shanapar waited for ten chimes in silence as he watched the sun dip under the horizon. He sighed to himself wondering where was the Eypharian woman. Shanapar looked over at the silent young man and said softly, “We should make good time through the desert during the night time hours. The sun is way to warm for long distance travel through the desert in the spring and summer during the day time hours. When I ask Singh a few question, we should will set off into the desert. Luckily we have a bright moon to light our way.” Shanapar lick his dry lips, looked at Ronin, and continued softly, “By the way, my name is Shanapar the Untamed, and I wanted to tell you before we set off on our quest that I am sorry for hunting your Syliss. If I known she was Dhani and not a normal desert snake, I would have never fired those two arrows at her. I hope you believe me it was a accident.”

Shanapar knew bringing outsiders into the Chaktawe village will definitely cause a commotion among the tribe. The Chaktawe were a tight knit people, and he doubt the Elders would allow Singh to take the woman into custody without proof of the woman's crimes against her. Chaktawe care little for the laws of the city dwellers, and he hoped the Eypharian woman was strong enough to be patient with his people. Shanapar just hoped the woman wasn't apart of his tribe because it would make the whole situation much more complicated for him. He was still on his spiritual quest, so he was still technically banished until his guardian ancestor tell him his quest is fulfilled. He thought about the woman who hated him, and he started to wonder if she will be able to work with him long enough to see the whole thing through. He had too many unanswered questions, and he knew little of his traveling companion, and he wondered to himself if he was making the right choice in helping the woman.
Shanapar
The Wanderer

Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on March 8th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Singh looked to the sky as the moon rose. She had been waiting until her sister was finally at her Honeymoon and their mother had left Singh alone until she slipped away. Pulling her clothes around her Singh retched on.

She was far away that she could barley she shapes of humanoids around a campfire but not close enough to see who it was who was there. She was actually looking forward to seeing Slyiss. As Singh got closer she noticed that the figures were both men. And not either one was as dark as Syliss.

Singh's eyebrows narrowed and she found herself seething. Had they jumped Syliss? Singh might trust Shanapar a little but she sure didn't trust him enough to put the act past him. Looks could be deceiving and she personally knew that.

Turning her eye's cold as she neared the men Singh stopped along the outside of the camp. Removing her veil and examining the men with cold calculating eyes. One was definitely Shanapar, but the other was new to her eyes. Blonde hair and fair skin on a small body. Singh didn't give him too much of a glance but had them trained on Shanapar.
"Well. Where is my Syliss? And who is this?"
Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Words: 50349
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 1:04 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ronin Invictus on March 10th, 2013, 5:00 am

As Ronin sat staring at the dune the sky had began to darken, the cold desert night had already started to set in. Thankfully, there was a fire that Shanapar had probably built recently nearby fending off most of the cold, although they could still feel the cold wind every time it blew by.

After a while he spotted who he thought to be Syliss's friend - Singh, who Syliss had promised to go after a chaktawe woman with. Ronin was here to fulfill that wish as it had said in Syliss's will of sorts. As the woman approached she seemed to be somewhat defensive, although she didn't seem to notice him. Ronin sat quiet for a few moments as the woman spoke to Shanapar, as she mentioned Syliss, his countenance faltered for a moment, his true emotions surfacing for just a few moments, but Singh and Shanapar probably didn't notice as they spoke.

Wordlessly, Ronin started rummaging through his pack silently until he came upon the note Syliss had left. He did not know why he kept it at first, but now he thought it would explain everything to the Eyhpharian. When he found the piece of wadj he silently got up and handed it to Singh solemnly, a deadly serious look was on his face, a hint of despair on his eyes, it was the kind of look one would give a person just before they would give very terrible news, the look usually told more than actual words or letters.

ooc: Read the letter here :P
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic31305.html
Ronin Invictus
Player

Character sheet

Postby Shanapar on March 12th, 2013, 3:20 am

Shanapar let out a sigh of relief when he saw Singh walk over the closest sand dune. He could tell the woman was out to get him since her eyes never left his face. He felt a chill run down his spine when he felt her cold eyes on him. Shanapar thought to himself, “I might have to be the silent guide on the trip.” The Chaktawe had to admit that the Eypharian woman made him uncomfortable since she had a unquenchable hatred towards his people. It unnerved him because he wasn't sure what to expect out of her in the future. Shanapar looked at the grieving Kelvic, and he knew the young man won't make the trip any easier for him either; however, Shanapar wondered if the Kelvic would find peace knowing he fulfilled his lover's dying wish. Shanapar's thoughts drifted from his companions, and he started to think about his own concerns. Shanapar knew he had limited time since he will be catching a ship to Lhavit in a week. He needed to head to his sister and picked up his adopted daughter he left behind. When Singh asked him where Singh was in a almost accusing voice, Shanapar turned his head to her, glanced at Ronin, and said honestly, “I am sorry, Singh, but Syliss is dead. Syliss left a letter with her bond mate, Ronin.” He nodded to the young man indicating that he was Syliss's Kelvic companion. Shanapar knew it was going to be a awkward trip into the desert, but he needed to finish the quest otherwise his honor would suffer.

Shanapar waited for Singh reaction. The woman lost everything in her life, and now she just lost her friend. He felt sorry for the Eypharian, but he decided to give her the privacy to mourn in peace with out a “black eyed” Chaktawe staring her. He wasn't a savage like the Eypharian stereotyped his people to be, so he walked behind the rock to where his raven was resting. Shadow looked up from his roost when he heard the man walking toward him. Shanapar lifted his leather gauntlet and whistled quietly not wanting to disturb the other two. The bird stood up and flew onto of his leather glove. Shanapar put the hood on the birds head, and he could feel Shadow start to dance on his arm impatiently, so he tied the jess onto the bird's leg. He reached up and stroked the soft under feathers of the birds neck. Shanapar walked to the edge of the rock, and he leaned up against it as he waited for the two to finish talking.
Shanapar
The Wanderer

Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on March 14th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Singh watched the blonde man out of the corner of her eye as he rumedged in his bag. But her attention was fully snapped to Shanapar when he spoke words that cut her almost like a knife. Singh felt rage creep out of her eyes, heating them up, but her soul and body felt cold.

Singh watched as Shanapar walked away and was met with the letter. Ronin, as she had learned, looked at her with a serious face but she knew that look in his eye. The look that haunted her when she looked in mirrors or in the water. He had lost soemthing more valuable to him than himself and now she would have to face the music.

Singh wordlessly took the note. She couldn't change her eyes from the coldness. It was all she felt but there was underlying red rage. How was her Syliss dead? Who was cold and evil enough to kill the good soul. Questions riddled her mind but as Singh opened the note she felt her anger seep towards herself.

Singh felt tears sting her eyes. It had been so long since she had cried. So long that she doesn't remember the last time she had. Singh slowly folded up the letter again and tried to pull it away from ehr body before the tears started to fal but failed. A river of tears flowed down her face in a silent cry.

Singh felt even colder. That even if she did complete her task she wouldn't feel better. Singh handed back the note and looked Ronin in the eye,
"I will not allow you to be bound to me by Syliss' words of death. You must be here for your own reasons. If you are here to simply follow a deads lovers words then I suggest you leave. This trip will simply cause you more pain. But if you are here to help me stay sain for this trip and help me revieve what solice I might have left. Then stay. But know... I will not bond you to be."

Singh had a clue as to what Ronin was. But what she said wasn't meant for his kind. It was mean't for him being a human. And while she was trying with all her might not to treat him as she had been brought up to she was managing. Singh looked away from Ronin to the place Shanapar walked away,"Shanapar. If you wish to help me then help yourself and greet the mourning. Do not hide with your bird."
Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ronin Invictus on March 16th, 2013, 3:27 am

Ronin visibly winced when Syliss's name was mentioned, frowning slightly as Shanapar spoke. He had meant to inform Singh without having to hear Bethsyliss' name. The name only resurfaced the pain. He had regained some composure although as Singh began to speak. As he listened he was slightly surprised at first, but then slightly angered. Ronin was still a torrent of emotions, but he still felt like he needed to do this one last thing for Bethsyliss, not because he wanted to, but because he felt obligated to, to ensure she rested in peace. To say that he should only be here for his own reasons was somewhat unsettling to the kelvic, but he knew where she was coming from.

In a way, Syliss's last wish was a saving grace for Ronin, if not for her last wish to give him at least some purpose for the time being, he wouldn't have hesitated to join Bethsyliss wherever it was the souls of the dead are taken. Before his anger surfaced Ronin was able to compose himself, only a slight flare of the emotion among the depths of despair in his eyes appearing for a brief second.

"Do not worry..." he said slowly, pausing before continuing, "I am only among the living now because Syliss' last wish was for me to fulfill a promise she had to you. It gives me purpose, something to strive for when there is nothing to gain." Ronin paused for a moment to let his words settle before finishing, "I can not force you to let me help you, but this is truly what I want to do."
Ronin Invictus
Player

Character sheet

Postby Shanapar on March 17th, 2013, 3:34 am

Shanapar smiled to himself when he heard Singh scolding him for hiding. He knew he wasn't hiding from them, but he wanted to let the woman mourn without him staring at her. It was a simple courtesy, but it must had been lost on the eypharian. Shanapar came out with a look of confusion and said to softly to Singh, “I am sorry for offending you Singh. I wanted to extend you some privacy while you mourn for your friend, but I guess I was wrong. You did want me in your presence during such a sad time. I think we are coming to understanding...” He gave the woman a nod of respect, looked at both of them, and said softly, “I think we better head out now since we have a long way to walk before morning. I don't want to be caught out in the desert during the heat of the day.” Shanapar extinguished his fire, and he looked up at Singh and asked gently, “I have one question Singh about the murderer of your family. What type of paint did she wear? I need to know, so I can take us to right tribe.” Shanapar ran his free hand through his hair, and he decided to explain the reason he asked about the paint, “Singh, the paint represents our allegiance to our tribe along with protection from the sun, so my tribe the Suli wear white paint to honor our tribe. The Kalanue tribe paints there bodies black, and the Tatsuwaat paint themselves red to honor the trees they dwell in. I know it was a long time ago, but I want you to try to remember when we start walking to through the desert.”

When the fire was extinguished, Shanapar looked at the kelvic and eypharian woman and said simple, “Come both of you.” Shanapar looked around at the black terrain, and he smiled when Leth was starting to appear on the eastern horizon.The desert air was already cooling, and he knew it would help the city dwellers get through the desert. Shanapar started walking west along the shoreline of the river. He didn't want to move away from the their source of water until it was absolutely necessary. He could feel Shadow dance around on his arm, but he kept saying stop it in Tawna and the bird eventually settled down. He tried not to move to quickly for the city dwellers, but he didn't want to go two slow to leave them behind. He decided to make conversation with Ronin and asked bluntly without looking at him, “I haven't know many kelvic in my lifetime, so I wanted to ask you. Do you prefer your human form over your animal form, or is it the other way around?” It was a harmless question, but he didn't know how the kelvic would react to his question, so he kept walking along the shore line of the river always keeping a eye in the east for Leth.
Shanapar
The Wanderer

Character sheet

Postby Singh Re Naphu on March 24th, 2013, 4:40 pm

Singh didn't exactly ignore Ronin but he's words fell on muted ears. Singh raised a brow at Shanapar as he spouted excuses. Singh didn't care if he though that she wanted his presence during the time. No what she wanted was for him to man up. He was going to have to make a big choice and watch her break down again. Why ignore her now in her mourning when she knew in her heart that once she had the woman who ruined her life in dismay, she would only fall deeper.

Singh didn't say anything as he continued talking. And didn't as they continued on. Singh pulled at her sisters pants and sighed. She was going to miss her. What was she going to do with her life now? She didn't have any where to go. There was no where she could go. Singh would now be living alone and Esha would be living with her husband.

Singh looked to the sky and stared at the moon. Maybe something would change. Singh looked down when Shanapar spoke up to Ronin. Singh glanced at Ronin also, trying to at least appear to want to know the answer. And in a way she did. She wanted to know of the life of a Kelvic. She hadn't heard many talk as all the ones she had met had been pets of hers or others.

In a way change was already happening. Singh realized slowly that she was braking everything she was brought up to uphold. Maybe Corneliun was right. You only had to uphold something if you chose. And it seemed that Singh was choosing not too anyway.

Regular Text

Singh's Thoughts

Others words

Singh Talking

Esha Talking

Singh Re Naphu
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets