Ethaefal questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Ethaefal questions

Postby Min on February 22nd, 2013, 9:25 pm

I've read the lore and the questions (that came up on a search) here in this forum about this race. But I still had some questions that I feel I haven't found completely accurate answers for. So any guidance would be helpful.

“Murmurs were passed along to one another swift as moonlight, a gnosis gift from the god of thought.” What does this mean? Does it mean all Ethaefal have the power of telepathy, with each other at least?

“Ethaefalen abilities are also suspended. Only traits bestowed by gnosis marks will remain.” If the player wanted the mortal seeming form of the character to have a gnosis, could they submit a request or story to the HD for it? If yes, and that gnosis requires a story, should the story be for the current, post-fall time, or would it be set back to the lifetime of the mortal-seeming form? Alternatively, is it allowed to submit a gnosis story to the HD for the Ethaefal “form” – such as the mark of Leth? Or Tanroa? And if yes, can the player submit stories for both the Ethaefal form and the mortal-seeming form, or do they have to choose one?

How do you select skills for an Ethaefal who is just beginning – i.e. they will begin by falling and coming out of the water? Do skills possessed in the moral-seeming form’s life carry over? Or do you pick new ones and if so, how can the Ethaefal have skills when they are just being “born?” (I guess the same would apply for lores?)

If they fall naked, where do the backpack, clothes and supplies come in, as well as heirloom and housing? What kind of job could they possibly do?

Thanks!
Min
Healer with an attitude

Words: 95042
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2012, 10:20 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ethaefal questions

Postby Verilian on February 22nd, 2013, 9:33 pm

So far as I know, Ethaefal are not telepathic.

A gnosis mark will apply to both of your forms. You can submit stories for the present, or flashback, but not from your actual life as a mortal. It has to be from your life as an Eth.

You select the skills however you want. Consider them maybe natural talents. Also, many players who play Ethaefal usually say they were "born" a year ago or whatever, giving them time to learn some skills.

Again, with the supplies, this assumes that they have been around long enough to collect these supplies.

You are free to make a truly fresh character, if you want, with no supplies and no skills.. but you are not required to, and I do advise at least picking skills. You have some memories from your mortal life, and probably bits and pieces of knowledge from before you fell, that could account for any skills you start off with.

Anyway, hope these answers were helpful. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Ethaefal questions

Postby Chamaeleon on February 22nd, 2013, 9:37 pm

Telepathy is the Gnosis of Leth. Ethaefal earn this ability when they earn Leth's favour and his gnosis. :)

Ethaefal do not inherit Gnosis from their past life. If they have racial abilities, like Myrians being able to survive on blood for a week, or Symenestra being able to climb walls and liquify foods, then they inherit the benefits, but only so long as every member of the race shares the ability, so nothing super duper special.

You can request a story in the Help Desk forum for a Gnosis. All Ethaefal have to apply with a story, I believe, because they aren't born the usual way and don't have a childhood.

In terms of skills, Eth have something like a flesh memory for what their mortal seeming knew. That's kind of how I heard it was explained. They don't know the story of their mortal seeming, they just get déjà vu every so often when they are doing things that remind them of that life.

Most Ethaefal assume at creation that they acquired these items after their fall by being helped out by the locals. My Eths for example were both given supplies by humans they fell near. You can RP getting this sort of help and if you want you can ask a moderator nearby to give you a hand.

:) I hope these answers help. I tried getting to all your points.

Edit:: Everybody always beats me to these sorts of things while I'm making my reply. :(
Spider, spider.
Chamaeleon
My kiss is poison.

Words: 90951
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2012, 10:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ethaefal questions

Postby Min on February 23rd, 2013, 5:36 am

Thanks!
Min
Healer with an attitude

Words: 95042
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2012, 10:20 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ethaefal questions

Postby Colombina on March 12th, 2013, 5:35 pm

I may not understand your question fully, but I wanted to make one note for the sake of clarity. You don't need separate requests for Eth gnosis vs. mortal seeming gnosis. The gnosis applies at all times to both forms :)

However, Ver and Cham are correct, you don't get to carry over gnosis from previous lives, but you might have an aptitude for certain skills due to your mortal seeming's race.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Ethaefal questions

Postby Gossamer on March 12th, 2013, 5:52 pm

I noticed no one addressed the 'where does their stuff come from' question....

You might also want to think creatively for your PC to get his or her starting package coin and clothing. They could come from a charitable stranger who helped fish you out of the water or they could be found items etc. This is a writer's RPG. Be creative.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)