I don't think I'm in Arizona anymore...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Postby Dythan Rooks on March 24th, 2013, 6:53 am

Greetings to all! My name is Taylor. At least, I'm pretty sure it is. Names are fickle things. Anyway, I figured I better register to play here in Mizahar. After reading all of the basic information about this site, I grew particularly fascinated with making friends with like-minded individuals who enjoy fantasy as much as I do. So here are some interesting answers to some interesting, albeit generic questions:

1. Name - or what you'd like to be called!
Taylor? Taydebear? Taylor-tot? Tay-Tay? Anything you can think of? I also go by Pacman.

2. What sort of RP experience do you have if any?
GaiaOnline. I'm sure many of you just cringed, a handful of you smirked, and the rest of you just stared with glazed eyes and a disinterested tilt of the head. It's an anime thing. Woo-hoo. Nothing special. I hosted several roleplays, all of which died because the stories evolved away from the typical high school drama and anime social scheme. I tend to delve into great depth in my realms of fiction. That and - as you can see - my posting skills are horrible. Or at least my decorating skills.

3. How did you find us?
The Magic Mirror on the Wall that many of you call "the Internet" or more specifically, Google. A simple search for "fantasy roleplay website" sent me to this wonderful place. Hopefully I can get the hang of it.

4. What sort of RP style is your favorite?
Well, I'm not entirely sure. I prefer reading and writing novels and such (I am a published author now. Woot woot!) but as for roleplaying? It depends. I like the idea of collaborating so that's really what draws me into a story. The idea that we share intimate story-writing together is one that has always attracted me.

5. What do you like to write about - not write about?
Fantasy is definitely my favorite fiction to write, usually because it's so much fun to create a brand new universe from scratch and because magic is cool. I also write a lot of science fiction. I take concepts I find interesting from NASA news articles or something akin to that and then ask "what if?" I have a "Saga" in the works that is already roughly 20 or more books that combine both science fiction and fantasy without magitech or magic and science being two separate entities or anything else that is cliche. Other than that, I have a new series of books formulating in my head based off classic fairy tales. Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, etc. I like those. They're very dark and gritty, based off the Dark Ages of Europe. But yeah. That's that.

6. Whats your favorite thing about Mizahar so far?
The races. Finally a website that not only has a nice assortment of unique races, but one that FORBIDS the cliches. It's so refreshing.

7. What, if anything, has frustrated you about Mizahar so far?
The stats. I have no idea how they work. I gather it's just a "take-it-on-faith" and "play-nice-with-others" kind of deal. Right? You pick points that "seem fair" and then hope the moderators don't go "No!" or your fellow coworkers go "God-mode! EW!"

8. What would you like out of the Mizahar experience?
I would like to improve not only as a writer, but a story-teller. My old writing mentor and best childhood friend calls herself "the Wordsmith." My goal is to be half as skilled as she is. Pointers, tips, and constructive criticisms are always welcomed with gratitude.

9. Is there anything you'd like to see expanded?
I would like to delve more into the Ancient Lore of the world. How the world works and why. I mean, what were the old politics of the world? Has ANYTHING from the time period (spirits, people, creatures) survived through the ages? Lore and History. Let's expand that.

10. Anything else you want to talk about?
I think we should get Mizahar a theme song. I am currently listening to the Misty Mountain song from the Hobbit. Fantasy music is cool.

PS. I'm from Arizona.
Dythan Rooks
Player

Words: 1368
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2013, 6:15 am
Race: Ghost

Postby Hadyn Skellig on March 24th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Welcome welcome! I'm fairly new m'self so from one newb to another, greetings!

Congrats on being a published author! That's incredible!

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to RPing with ya.

Cheers,
Sela
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Verilian on March 24th, 2013, 2:39 pm

There is a lot of lore on Mizahar's past already written, however I doubt you will see much expansion on that right now. IC (in character), most people don't know much about the past. 513 years ago a massive cataclysm occurred, the Valterian, which destroyed most of the old world.

The main "living" thing that survives from back then, besides the gods themselves, are the Nuit. They are one of the sites races.

Skills are actually pretty in depth, you just haven't found that bit yet most likely. Be sure to read your welcome PM if you haven't already. It explains a lot, but basically you start with 50 points to assign to various skills, and you earn more points each time you complete a thread.

Oh, and I am Verilian, Domain Storyteller (main mod) of the city of Ravok. Welcome to Mizahar!!
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Brodon Windriver on March 24th, 2013, 8:59 pm

"Herald, sound the fanfare!" :)

I bestow my most sincere welcome to you, 'Taylor-of-the-name-'Dythan-Rooks". I urge you, let not your focus be dragged from the worthy realm of literary excellence to be smitten by the merely "decorative" trappings of graphics. Is it not the picture created in one's mind that is the pursuit here? Yea, find splendor in that which does not presume high peaks of magnificence on the mere visual grandeur of baubles and banners. Find glory, rather, in the structuring of picturesque narratives, evoking panoramic vistas of daring and deliverance, trial and triumph, villainy and virtue!

...Not to mention, I suck at graphics as well... ;)

That being said...

The stats give a numerical basis for likelihood of success. The skill descriptions themselves will give a reasonable outline of limitations based on your level. For the most part, these will only be tested against un-modded NPCs, where no other player has a stake in the outcome. In my experience, mods are lenient, but if you go too far, they might request a revision, or add a note to this effect upon grading.

As for when you're up against another PC (or modded NPC) with a higher stat, unless you're ridiculously over-matched, I have found that mods will go with what shows some thought. If I'm 5 points higher than you in 'sword' and simply write, "Brodon lunged at Taylor with his sword." Well, it works, but its pretty dull stuff.

But if you respond with. "Having noted Brodon's prissy speech and fine clothes, Taylor took note of the spilled ink on the table to Brodon's right, figuring he would be loathe to stain his satin shirt. Having also seen his right-handed technique, Taylor moved to Brodon's right as he lunged, counting on his reluctance to soil his fine clothes with ink to throw him off balance if he pursued with his strike. Taylor then kicked the table up at him to buy further time." This shows some thought at what might genuinely affect my action. The mod would most likely award you having hit me with the table and maybe even knocked me off my feet, and inform me that I only thought I'd hit with mine.

"Carrying an angry load, keeps you on an angry road."
Brodon Windriver
It's your move...

Words: 251972
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2012, 5:41 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Journal
Medals: 1
Donor (1)