[The Sanctuary] New Faces and New Friends

This is the job interview thread for Jasper, Litani, and Kolvia!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on May 26th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Timestamp: 50th of Spring, 513 AV

Kavala was sticking around the clinic this morning, actually out by the gardens checking on the pool area where she planned to put her pool in later this afternoon. Reinamncy came in handy when necessary, she'd learned, especially when one wanted to create a center for learning and healing that had all the perks of civilization. A decorative and functional water source for both cooling off and relaxing around fit the bill. So she made sure it would be all taken care of by summer.

Kavala had brought The Sanctuary out of the ashes of the Djed Storm of 512 by rebuilding using Reimancy. The healer had probably moved to fast, to quickly, and in some ways the magic hadn't left her unaffected. She would start on the pool later, but before that could be done, she noticed how badly her flower beds needed weeding and how much tending the gardens around the area could use. Kavala had big plans for the day, but first she had some interviews to deal with, three promising young women, two Konti and one a Drykas who were looking for the type of work The Sanctuary offered. Taking care of the weeds would be a good diversion instead of simply waiting for the young ladies to show up.

She gathered tools - a small hand spade, a weeder which was actually just made from a horse shoe bent straight and wrapped with leather after a notch was cut out if it - and put on a pair of gloves. Then she bent over the nearest herb and began weeding around it. The sun was shining and it was truthfully promising to be a beautiful day. Kavala wanted to get the medicinal garden, the herb garden, and the moon garden at least done before her guests and prospective future employees arrived. Herbs were first though, and she bent over them with an enthusiasm that burned off some of the excess energy she had. Spring had been cooler, wetter, this year and plants unsanctioned were growing everywhere. With quick sharp tugs, Kavala relieved the herb garden of its weedy burden and freed up the garden space for the herbs to spread out more easily. She cultivated the soil around them and those plants that needed dividing she quickly took care of with a few short cuts with her spade, making two plants where there was once one.

She checked the level of the sun, quickly grabbed a bucket, and began cleaning up the pulled weeds that lay scattered dead on the flagstones around the garden. Brooming off the stone, she hauled the bucket to a compost pile, dumped the yard waste in, used the shovel leaning against the wall to give it a quick stir, and then headed back for the medicinal garden, thinking she could get a few more weeds pulled by the time the ladies started to show up.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kolvia on May 27th, 2013, 6:51 am

Thoughts
Other's speech
Tukant
Kontinise
Common

"How far is it from Riverfall to the Santuary again, Olivia?" Kolvia asked her slave who was riding along beside her on her stubborn Zavian mount, Shire while Kolvia was riding on her own Gildling named Alabar.

"Six- I mean two miles." Olivia said already looking tired, they had been riding for about a bell and at a nice calm steady trot for both of them were amateurs at riding and didn't trust themselves not to fall if they tried to go any faster. "Why are we going to the animal place again?" The girl asked trying to keep up the conversation.

"I have an interview for a job there I think from the lady who owns the place and I'm interested in taking it." Kolvia said, adjusting her relaxed grip on the reigns. "This is my season off from my other job." She referred to her Nakivak status in Riverfall, where she wasn't anything more than a slave for her city, tied onto 'contracts' with single Akalak deadbeats who were required by duty to the city to produce an heir etc.

"What sort of job?"

"Something to do with healing I'm hoping we'll see when we get there." Kolvia said dismissing their conversation because like Olivia, she was also tired and her legs where killing her, but still she clung to Alabar with them not exactly in the mood for taking a dive into the dirt because she got lazy.

"If we ever get there..." Olivia muttered, her voice barely audible over the whistling of the wind. Kolvia didn't reply, on edge. What if a grassbear attacks me again out here? She wondered, will there be a Akalak party out here to save me again? Will they add another thousand mizas on to my debt? I already ran up a ton of money last year after they 'offered' to help me out with my expenses. How gracious of the council to explain I involuntarily added onto it. Greedy bastards.
Her thoughts caused her to get lazy because she stopped paying attention to her surroundings. She ran into a tree branch. "Oww..." She whined, rubbing her forehead, that's when Alabar took off. "Woa-Ahhh!" Kolvia screeched, barely holding onto the reigns. She tighted her grip on the leather straps and tried pulling them back to stop her horse, but Alabar just kept on moving...she started slipping jostling like a wild thing in the saddle. She threw her body forward dropping the reigns and locked her arms around Alabar's thick neck.

The stallion tilted his head up a little to the side as he ran and she swore he winked. "Damn...you." She gasped. A few moments later, a struggling Olivia held onto her steed as well, for Shire, not to be outrun by anyone raced ahead of Alabar, letting loose a neigh of triumph as she did so. "Your letting her win." Kolvia muttered into Alabar's mane, the stallion snorted but didn't put on speed and Kolvia smiled.

They arrived at their destination not thirty chimes later, both horse and rider sweating. Kolvia's hair was windblown and frizzy but that was the least of her worries. Dismounting she layed into Alabar, "Petch it Alabar, you cerulest helioc!" She pointed an accusing finger at the stallion who rolled his eyes, "Don't you give me that, you could have got me killed! You could have gotten Olivia killed! You could have killed us all!" By this point she was in between a laugh and a hiss. Alabar snorted in response blowing his hot breath on her and walked over to Shire who greeted him.

"Too many could have's that didn't actually happen." Olivia commented absently, she had also dismounted and gathered up their horses reigns. Kolvia ignored the comment and went back to fixing her hair, she got her blonde locks to lay flat at least, cascading down her back in their usual fashion. She walked to the gates or more like dashed to them when she saw a beehive nearby, the buzzing insects made her hustle all the faster and she swung open the gate closely followed by Olivia with the horses in tow.

Kolvia left Olivia to close the gates and took a look around, "What a beautiful place." It was far better than she could have imagined though it still looked like it was in construction, not quite finished. If it looks this amazing now I wonder what it would look like in the future; she wondered.She could hear horses neighing, dogs barking, the noisy animals made her smile, she was in the right place. To the left of an area that looked like it would be quite the public attraction in the future, Kolvia spotted a woman tending her garden...next to bees. "Jakri. Nasty little bugs..." Kolvia muttered to herself as she approached the woman. The woman had features quite similar to herself, making Kolvia suspicious of her race. Could she be a Konti? The glint of scales, answered her question. "My sister." Kolvia greeted the Konti woman, smiling.
Olivia stood off to the side, preoccupied with Alabar tangling up the reigns and Shire trying to walk around. "Stay put you," She scolded the mare tugging the reigns, "Alabar, bad horse...quit that."

Last edited by Kolvia on May 27th, 2013, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kolvia
Not your average healer...

Words: 21548
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 4:55 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jasper Rainsong on May 27th, 2013, 7:18 am

Jasper's morning had been quiet so far, most of it spent outside of Riverfall, walking the beaches below the city so that she could get a good view of the buildings perched in the side of the cliff face. Growing up in a tent city didn't exactly give you a good knowledge on architecture but she was fairly sure that the buildings of Riverfall were exceptional and like nothing she would see anywhere else.
That combined with her first time at a beach and Jasper was officially impressed. The large blue men that populated the city didn't hurt that feeling either. Maro, on the other hand, seemed to dislike the feeling of both sand under his hooves and Akalak.

Her sight seeing was cut short when she realised she had to get going, lest she be late for her interview. Jasper considered herself incredibly lucky, she had been in Riverfall for less than two days when she had heard of The Sanctuary and it just so happened that they had been looking for a hand to help with their horses. For Jasper the job was a dream come true, and for the first time in the season she felt excitement and happiness thrum through her veins.

Nothing's set in stone yet. She reminded herself, perched carefully on Maro's back as he trotted down the road in the direction of The Sanctuary. Pip stirred in one of the saddle bags and poked his head out, yawning and sniffing eagerly at the salty air. She squeezed the striders sides with her thighs as The Sanctuary came into view and he lept forward, as eager as his rider. Jasper had always loved the feeling of a cool breeze on her face, but the sea air seemed so much better, so much more refreshing.

Jasper urged Maro off the road as The Sanctuary came into view and they circled around the back, entering through the gate. Jasper dismounted and let Pip out of the saddle bag. The little pup barely cleared the top of her boot but was already acting three times his size, playfully growling at Maro, who swished his tail and looked down his snout at the pup in a rather superior manner.

Looking around Jasper realised that she was not alone and that there was already three other women gathered in the courtyard, their horses held by the reins. "Greetings!" She called, walking towards them, Pip at her heels.
Jasper Rainsong
Player

Words: 25242
Joined roleplay: August 22nd, 2012, 6:57 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Keene Ward on March 1st, 2015, 12:37 am

“It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without."
- Poirot

Kavala :
Skills:
  • Botany | +1 EXP
    Cleaning | +1 EXP
    Gardening | +1 EXP
    Organization | +1 EXP
Lores:
  • Botany: Splitting Sproutlings

Post Script :
Well. That's a bummer that this thread didn't really go anywhere.

If any of you return, please update your ledgers and send me a PM, and I'll be happy to give you your grades!
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)