Talking to the wind (Goss)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Evelia on June 17th, 2010, 3:22 pm

60th day of Spring

Evalia notched an arrow smoothly and drew the string taught. She aimed and let loose the arrow which cut through the air and embedding itself in the trunk of a tree, a miss.
She didn’t mind she ran nimbly to retrieve the arrow pulled it out and touched the mark it had left in the bark, then she made her way to the ridge where she had aimed before, if there was any game which hadn’t run away she would quickly spot it.

She stood on the rocky ridge eyes gazing at the sprawling forest beneath her, she smiled as a light wind started she felt it whip her hair caress her skin her smiled widened.

She scanned the forest floor her posture straight and poised at the edge of the ridge enjoying the light wind she smiled and sang in a clear gentle tone

“As you make your way through the trees
Scattering the poor fallen leaves
As you explore the unknown cave
As you quench the open flame
As you bear a soft cloud
As you make the eagle proud
As you ever make your way
Through lands just to come back again
Wind, heed my call
Do you know where to go?
Or have you no home at all?”

She notched an arrow again as something moved in the underbrush but it seemed like a false alarm, she sighed and waited.
Last edited by Evelia on August 3rd, 2010, 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Evelia
Player

Words: 5966
Joined roleplay: June 16th, 2010, 3:26 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Talking to the wind [OPEN]

Postby Gossamer on June 21st, 2010, 5:02 pm

He leaned causally against the snowline spruce, arms folded, watching her intently. The ridge was a beautiful spot, overlooking the Sanikas Valley and showing off the best of the world below. That the woman was there did not surprise him. The Inarta were all over the world at the first thaw, scattering their fortress abode like ants abandoning a flooding hill. But that she was singing about the wind drew his attention and made him laugh in delight. He didn't know the sound carried out through the edge of the treeline and out onto the stony footing that perched securely at the top of the world. It was so rare that someone like her caught his attention.

He stepped from the trees. His hair was a silvery gray, long, and flowed about him like it was almost a living thing. His eyes were the same silver, and looking at him from behind, someone might have thought he was an old man. He wasn't though, not in the least. His features were young, etched with mirth and handsome. Mid thirties, perhaps a little older or a little younger, the light sometimes betrayed him driving his age back and forth accordingly.

"You have a lovely voice. Do you always sing about the wind?" He asked, curious as he paced forward. He moved fluidly, like his feet didn't quite touch the ground, and there was a restlessness about him that almost made it seem like he wasn't willing to stay in one place very long. "I would think, wouldn't you, that the wind knows very well where its going and where it calls home." His words might have come across harsh, but his eyes were lit with laughter.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Evelia on June 22nd, 2010, 7:25 am

She quickly notched an arrow as a figure emerged but then loosed it as she saw it was a man, she kept the strung bow at her side, even though in a fight she trusted her fighting skills more than her archery, of course only if things became hostile.

“I usually sing about the wind, it goes everywhere, it knows everything and never stops. It angers it calms, it talks. At least I think it talks whispering in the gentle breezes and commanding in the violent storms.”
She sighed “Even if I listen for hours its message eludes me, but as words of an unknown language it’s even more beautiful”
She smiled “and I can still sing to it because what’s more in singing apart from rushing air coming out of our lungs? Its air with a pitch, wind with a pitch.”

She gazed at him taking in his flowing silver hair and silver eyes she thought about his second question her dark blue eyes never leaving his.
She replied carefully “The wind knows where it goes and it yearns for home wherever it may be, even if it doesn’t exist, home is a lose word in meaning, anything could be home and anyone” She looked away then back to him.
“Zulrav knows” she said simply her eyes betraying her yearning.
Evelia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on June 23rd, 2010, 3:53 pm

The man kept moving forward. There was no threat about him, not really, for all that he was decidedly not Inarta nor anyone she'd ever seen in Wind Reach. He listened to her words and a smile played across his lips as he cast his eyes out across the vast distance. "The Wind calls wherever it is it's home. It masters the world in a way that very few people understand. Even when it seems to be absent, it is indeed there, blanketing the whole of Mizahar with its calm hand. I think perhaps the longing you hear from its voice is its sadness that you cannot understand its words. Even the simplest of breezes have personalities and voices. They carry emotion without a corporeal body. Some would say that a breeze is a single thought of the wind, its offspring in every way. I'm inclined to agree." He said, though he paused when she pointed out that even breath for song was Zulrav's realm.

That made him chuckle. "I think Rhaus would disagree. He thinks singing is merely a singer tapping into the song of the world - which he himself generates. His argument, and by all thats holy I can hear it now, is that... "Does Caiyha call the catgut that stretches over the lute or harp her domain? No! Breath is a tool for music, not music itself!" The man chuckled, then glanced up at Evelia again.

"And tell me, Evelia - that is your name isn't it? - why you are out here all alone, so restless and yet fighting it? Shouldn't you be out trying to convince an eagle to take you as a rider so you can be the salvation of your people who are foolishly holed up in a volcano with nothing to eat?"
He asked, drawing near her suddenly - and turning to stare out over the vast expanse.

"I think if someone asked him where he called home - Zulrav that is - he would say 'everywhere and nowhere'. Because how could one pick the Grasslands with its great pension for storms, or Kalea for its incredible magesty, or Eyktol with its sandwinds... how could anyone pick one place over another in such a lovely world?" He turned and looked at her again, as if somehow puzzled by her presence.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evelia on June 24th, 2010, 9:25 am

She listened to his words growing evermore puzzled, what was a stranger doing here and more interesting still who was he? She burned with curiosity but as any fire without air it would quench itself, so she kept the questions locked down.
She soaked up his words like a sponge trying to understand more about him.
Then she said softly “Maybe breath is a tool for music but breath is also wind and air after all so both arguments are satisfied in a way.”

She was surprised when he called her by name and she nodded “Yes Evelia it is though how you knew is not probably my business”
He drew near her but she didnt move staying exactly where she was and replying “My duty is to hunt, strangely I do not feel inclined to become an eagle rider, I’m happy where I am, for now.” She sighed “I cannot explain it with words. I yearn to explore whatever is beyond that forest, and I will” She said the last words with conviction her eyes surveying the forest
“I want to see everything like the wind does, I want to call all of Mizahar my home and never pick one place where to linger” She smiled at him with a knowing smile.

Then she faced him and asked “Who are you? You may not answer if you don’t want to, there are many ears in the world and not all of them the right ones, and those, for you might be mine as they might not be”
Evelia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on July 9th, 2010, 6:14 pm

He smiled. "No, you can ask. You should ask. Anyone that knows something about you when you know nothing about them has you at an advantage. You should always seek to level that advantage out." He said, his voice full of breath as if it was merely contained within him, not actually necessary for the words to form. He seemed amused, almost enchanted by her answer. "Yes, maybe indeed. You're clever, Evelia. Why are you out here then, all alone, only with the wind for company? I don't blame you... truthfully for the wind can be some of the best company ever. But someone like you should be surrounded by others, all using breath speaking and making music together. Rhaus would approve, I think, though I wouldn't be surprised if you wore his mark already." The man said, finally drawing up beside her to stare out over her lofty perch.

He made no threatening moves, and surprisingly, there was a warmth about him as if he was a family member or someone she'd known all her life. His presence wasn't uncomfortable, not like she might expect a strangers to be. Instead, with him standing beside her, she seemed almost as if she'd just come home - so familiar was the feeling.

"Yes. I understand your restlessness, Evelia. I'm something of an expert on it, you might say. Once, a long time ago, voices rose up and I heard them. They were the breezes that filled the world telling me of where they'd been and where they wanted to go. The view is beautiful from up here... vast and untouched. You can see clear to Thunder Bay. But imagine, Evelia, what they themselves can see?" He said, smiling softly.

"Truthfully, I don't remember my name. I've been at this a long time though, far longer than I suspect is normal for one of my kind. You can call me what you'd like, though, for it doesn't matter. A name is only a name that conveys an idea. If you can convey an idea without one, whats the use of tacking one on?"
He said with a chuckle. Then, he dug into his pocket and pulled out a gemstone. He reached out with his free hand, took hers, and laid the gemstone in the palm of her bare hand after splaying her fingers outward. It glowed, shimmering with power, like a storm barely contained.

"Tell me Evelia... tell me what you feel there?"
He asked, glancing around. The sky had started to cloud over, strangely, with big thunder bumpers rolling in. The man's lips formed a smile - bright and bold - as if he welcomed the storm that seemed to be blowing in off the bay some distance to the north and west.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evelia on July 10th, 2010, 9:59 am

Evelia felt strangely comforted by his presence but his words were still elusive to her but she answered the best she could “I cannot explain why I am here, but its my duty to hunt and my pleasure to listen to all of this. But, yes I would love to make music with someone but...” She trailed off then she gestured at the air in general, she then paused and said in a quieter voice “And no, I do not bare any marks”

His other comment was even more elusive, who were the they he spoke of? Who could he be to forget his name? And of course what was his kind…His words rang in her head, it was something she couldn’t catch onto. But his question needed an answer and she gave an open one “They can see what they want to see, which could be everything but also nothing…”

As he pressed the strange gem into her hands and asked what she felt she came short of words a strange feeling surging over her. She paused, blinked and resorted to a play on words “I feel power, power is were we believe it resides. For example without the belief that a king has power the king would be nothing. For some people no proof is needed, for some no proof is enough to believe.
Without the belief that this gem is powerful, it wouldn’t, at least for me, its indifferent if it is powerful or not. It’s all in if I can relate to it isn’t it?”

She looked at the gem in her hand then up to the stranger, her dark blue eyes quizzical.

She watched him smile at the gathering storm and felt something move inside her, whoever he was he was much more than her. It didn’t make her feel uncomfortable, just strangely apprehensive. She opened her mouth and asked quietly hesitantly “And may I ask which is your kind?”
Evelia
Player

Character sheet