Closed Chance of Time (Valus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Chance of Time (Valus)

Postby Rayage on April 8th, 2013, 8:30 am

Spring 10 513 AV

OOC :
Long intro. If it is TLDR then you may use Ctrl+F then search ‘…’ All Ray does is contemplate on fire, and glyph a bit of reimancy. After the … you will find the part that effects your character.

Fire, it could create or destroy. Fire, it could light the way or burn a path. Fire, it would warm the very soul, and at the same time the person could feel deaths bone chilling touch. Fire was a powerful tool and a cornerstone of civilization as we know it. To harness fire is to harness the very essence of one of the most important building blocks of humanity, of culture, of life itself. It gives but it also takes. Fire wields a transforming power just like Alchemy. Rays fire, yes, her fire would be that of transformation as well. She would be a guiding light for civilization and forge the way with fires wrath, but tamed and tempered with a mothers love.

Her power with Reimancy was not great at all, but she had many tricks up her sleeve to improve her performance. The art of Glyphing has changed and transformed many magics for the better and broke many restraints on mages if they had the foresight to prepare beforehand. She has explained the Glyphing theory to many wizards, but few to none have taken her advice to heart. It only served to prove just how foolish every other wizard out there was. It only served to cement the reality into Rayage that she was one of the most gifted wizards ever to walk Mizahar. The Archwizard said so himself, that she could have been Pycons reincarnation… Granted that was impossible, as she was two centuries older than the wizard himself. In the end it’s the thought that counts, right?

Outside the Citadel Ray worked in an isolated spot. Paper out in front of her, a small vial of ink set on the ground before her she began to set to work on her next glyph. It wouldn’t be overly complicated, as she only had that small scrap of paper to work with, but it would be something, and something is always better than nothing. Quill dipped in the ink vial which weighted down the paper and kept it from moving or being blown away from some of the spring winds which passed. In about the center of the glyph Ray drew a box. In the center of each of the four sides Ray drew a vertical or horizontal line to mark the about center. Starting on the bottom most side Ray took the measurement of about center, and extended a line from the center all the way to the opposing corner. She drew another line like that on the other side of the center mark, and came to make what looked like an upside down triangle in a box. Rotating the paper till she had another ‘bottom most side’ to deal with she mimicked the making of a triangle like figure. Rotating it again she repeated the process of drawing the lines, and one last time completed it. She now stared at a star-like figure and admired it with a small smile. This shape would serve as her switch to draw the magic stored into each glyph present on the sides of the box into one spell.

On each side of the switch-box she drew a circle, this would be the base of her glyph, each glyph being identical to the last. Inside each circle she made three dots each in a nice, crisp horizontal row. From the dots she made diagonal hash marks (///) and from there drew a line through each mark connecting them (-/-/-/-). The circle and the lined hashes would work as a focus. Around each circle she surrounded them with various shapes and squiggly marks that looked like nothing special, but they served a very important purpose, they would act as a barrier restricting the magical flow until the trigger is released.

On the upper right hand corner she made an x-like mark with an elongated side. That would serve as the trigger, a release mechanism to cancel the barriers, release the magical flow, and fire the fire-bolt. It was set as ‘when ichor is applied to the mark’ the trigger will release the sigils from the barriers.

Once the glyph was drawn the nuit smiled down at it. This was the beginning of something great, and it was going to be one of many, one of many which would store her power that she would not use today, perhaps not tomorrow, but at least it won’t go to waste. Standing, a purple glimmer shined off the cloak as it reflected the sunlight. The heavier cloak slowed her movements down even more, but the added protection granted was well worth it. On the back was the sign of the Ouroboros, the serpent eating its own tail though it was obscured some by the lengthy black hair which fell from the undeads head.

The glyph was concentrated on as the nuit stared at the image trying to find her center. She traced the shape with her mind, running imaginary fingers across the glyph and just focused on the switch which she had drawn. Her thoughts, thoughts of her homunculus, thoughts of her experiments, thoughts of her obligations to Sahova, plans to conquer this small island one step at a time all faded to the back as she focused. The shape almost entranced Ray, and she focused on something else: her fire. She could see it burning already in her mind’s eye, and all she needed to do was release it upon the world, cast out a part of herself which would regenerate given time, and forge the fire with the magic of Reimancy.

Still very much new to the magic of Reimancy the nuit took it slow, extending her arm outward, palm down, over the glyph. Fingers spread as the Alchemists attention shifted from the fire within to the hand which she would command the basic spell. Mentally she grasped upon her very soul, feeling the need to release, and severed a good part of it. The mental knife which bit into her very being was the price willingly sacrificed for the magic about to be done. She transformed and flowed the now free djed, and with thought alone it pooled in her arm. The feeling of res under her skin made her shiver visibly as it reminded her of the not so gentle initiation she had received from Master Miro.

Thick red res clung to the outstretched hand and began to droop like some gel. A part of it broke off and formed a sloppy sphere. Though soon a small path of res would connect the orb to her hand once more, the connection feeding the small sphere as the wizards mind worked to make it ‘perfectly’ smooth and round. She struggled with it, the res always losing shape, but eventually she kept feeding it until the part of her soul which she had severed had been all used and was now present in the floating orb of res.

Satisfied she moved onto the next step and cut the sphere, which was about the size of a large watermelon, into four more or less equal parts. Ray accomplished this by using a simple, but effective gesture. Literally she drove her hand through the res as if it were a knife, and separated the two halfs. Then she halfed the two halfs once more creating four parts. Each part looked silly, but with a little bit of physically molding them with her hands they once again represented spheres. All of this took more time than she would have liked, but she was still very new to this art and had to take things slower than most.

Moving the four spheres of res over the respective glyphs she smiled, this ritual was just about done. One by one she concentrated on each orb individually willing it to shoot in the air just above her head before she made it collide downwards, shooting as fast as she could will it at such close range. The moment before it orb would hit the paper she felt the fire build, could it hear it crackle in her mind, and used the imagery to light the res aflame. The glyph greedily took and ate the fire the wizard offered it, storing it for later. Once all four orbs were stored in this manner the nuit was satisfied and rolled up the paper, and stopped the ink, and went on her way back to the citadel. The glyphed paper clutched in a hand, the ink and quill in the other.

Entering the Vestibule the nuit stopped. Usually she wouldn’t bat an eye at the newcomer, but there was a mention of not one, but two magics which piqued her interests: Alchemy and Magecraft. She had been more generous lately and so a couple devious thoughts entered her mind. Stepping forward she addressed TAR, ”The position in Lab-45E has been filled. Master Rayage will take this one.”

Turning to the other she offered him a smile, a smile unlike any other nuit on the island. Master Rayage actually looked alive and well. There was a fleshy living color to her skin, and no sign of rot traced her features. If it were not for her slower than average movements then one might as well consider her alive. Emerald green eyes stared him with a sense of authority, ”Come.” she said, her word not to be argued as she made her way past TAR and into the courtyard.

”So, now tell me, why exactly did you come to Sahova?” she asked, she nodded at the question, ”But first, what is your name?” she asked, ”I must know my apprentices names to fairly address them, yes?” she told him, the question sounding more mockery than her actually being serious. ”I am Master Rayage, and I will be addressed as such. Luckily for you Alchemy is my specialty.” She had been needing another apprentice to help with all the slaves which she had procured, especially with the taming that one Zith…

Last edited by Rayage on April 8th, 2013, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Chance of Time (Valus)

Postby Valus on April 8th, 2013, 11:01 am

Valus had gazed at Master Rayage for sometime before quickly following in the other Nuit's wake. Initially he had taken the Master for one of the living, her skin lacked the rot and discoloration that so characterized Nuit bodies. It was only with close examination that he was able to discern the woman's true nature. The masked Nuit fell in stride with the Sahovan Master, pondering how best to answer her questions. He was not exactly amused by the mockery evident in the other Nuit's tone but wisely opted to keep that to himself.

"I am known as Valus, Master Rayage." The masked Nuit answered, his tone carefully neutral. "I have come to Sahova to research methods of using Alchemy to produce superior materials for Magecraft."

"My research outside of Sahova reached a standstill, due to lack of proper facilities, so here I am." Valus explained briefly, his voice possessing a cold metallic quality about it.

Crossing two magical disciplines to reach for more power than either one could create alone was ambitious, as well as more than a little dangerous. However Valus had a vision, to one day create artifacts so potent that it would put anything created by the so called White Enchantress to shame. It was a lofty goal, but it was merely one of the many he had set before himself.

A number of younger nuit might have felt somewhat bitter about being ordered about or serving as an apprentice to someone. While certainly not crazy about the idea himself, Valus was far too old to let something like that bother him over much. In his life time he had been an apprentice, a slave, a master, and a teacher as such he knew well how to play his role as expected. He would be the perfect model apprentice, attentive and obedient. For this apprenticeship was simply a means to an end, the end being a large personal workplace where he could conduct his research in solitude.

Besides if this Master Rayage knew much of the ways of alchemy Valus may be able to pick up some new tricks.
Last edited by Valus on April 9th, 2013, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world."

~Victor Frankenstein
Valus
Dark Alchemist of Lost Alahea

Words: 6784
Joined roleplay: April 7th, 2013, 2:05 am
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Chance of Time (Valus)

Postby Rayage on April 8th, 2013, 11:23 pm

The nuit walked nodding at what she was informed to, ”The creation of superior materials for Magecraft. That is a suitable ambition, and you know of Magecraft as well?” she asked, ”That is wonderful. I’ve only met magecrafters and have no skill in the art myself.” she laughed, ”But I dare say that it is interesting. What do you wish to create?” she asked, ”For I can help you create a substance to rival Isurian steel itself.” she claimed boldly, ”Or what have you…” she let her thoughts fade away.

”The very cloak I wear is a product of Alchemy. It’s something that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else. Though I am still unsatisfied with it. You see, steel has its limitations, as does everything in this world. It is those limitations Im hoping to bypass someday.” she sounded unhappy with herself, ”However, Alchemy can create something truly magnificent. All you need is the right chargers.” she walked carefully the path though the courtyard, statues and ghosts met them. A light tugging feeling could be felt as they walked, but Rayage paid it no heed. She had no reason to fear the ghosts of this place.

”My lab is Lab 45-E.” she informed him, ”You may use it with my permission, and anything you find there is yours to use freely as well. I only ask that you do not interfere with my experiments. I like to have many things going on at once. For anything not alchemy you will have to use the common labs suited for whatever discipline of magic you wish to use. My lab is not an all-purpose one, but rather specific to Alchemy. she kept silent about how truly massive in size her lab really was. Only the head of Alchemist has a lab greater than hers suited for the field of Alchemy, and she was aiming to replace him.

The nuit lead the masked one though the halls of Sahova, the maze of corridors and stairs was indeed daunting even for those who have been there a while, ”The majority of my research is on the Alteration, Augmentation, and Creation of Life within the field of Alchemy. I am quite accomplished in that regard, though that doesn’t mean I don’t do more mundane things with my art. I just haven’t experimented as much on objects as I have on living things. Life is a mystery, one that I hope to unravel. That is why I am here in Sahova.” Little did anyone know that what was just said was only the partial truth. One day Ray will break the curse that is the nuit unlife and become something greater with the aid of Alchemy.

The long walk ended when the nuit stopped at a larger than life door at the end of a particular hall. It looked of metal and was thick, and more like the door to a vault than one to a laboratory. There was a small plate attached which read ‘Lab 45-E’. The door was opened, and inside revealed a lab of unreal proportions. One could fit four or five labs in this one dedicated to Alchemy. The tables which lined the place held a little bit of everything, and it was truly a breath taking sight for any researcher interested in Alchemy. This lab was something Rayage was proud of, something that took someone of her skill and magnitude to fully appreciate, and it was the lab which she was now sharing with her apprentices.

One corner of the lab stuck out in particular. Locked cages were 4 particular creatures, H1-A, H2-A, and Lilly and Martha. Though today, just today in fact, new additions joined the cluster. Sitting in chains were the nineteen slaves which Rayage had won at the auction. Chained and caged they looked like they hadn’t eaten much, weak, but not sick, not yet at least. They all were barely clothed in rags. One in particular, the Zith, had more energy than the others. It snarled at the masters entry and rattled the chains as if trying to break free, and banging on the cage which held him. These people were to help her with her more ambitious experiments.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Chance of Time (Valus)

Postby Valus on April 9th, 2013, 12:30 am

Valus found himself warming up immensely to Master Rayage as they made their way through the halls, halls which the masked nuit committed to memory. Her ambition was certainly great, the creation and augmentation of life was definitely a field he himself held some passing interest in, to a lesser degree than crafting weapons potent enough to slice through plate mail like butter but still it was there. The nuit had long ago unfettered himself from concepts like morality, the truly great were able to look beyond such trivial things.

Her offer to help him in discovering something to rival Isurian steel did not escape his notice, it was certainly something he was looking to discover. However his sights were not set so low as merely rivaling the Isur, he wanted to create something that would be able to shatter the strongest sword of Isurian steel. Already he had created stronger forms of base iron and steel, the catch of course was to make them strong but to also keep their malleability, something he had been hung up on for sometime. Valus had no doubt that he would solve the riddle with enough time and research.

The masked nuit was rather impressed by the large door to Rayage's laboratory, however he was completely awestruck by the size of the laboratory itself. Though his mask would never show it his face had a look of utter shock on it, a rarity for the usually stoic alchemist. Seeing it now, her earlier offer to make use of it seemed almost unreal, there were more supplies here than he had ever dreamed of seeing in another century. Even if he were only permitted a fraction of the supplies he had no doubt that he could easily further his research, much more quickly than he had on the main land at least. It was unfortunate that she possessed no facilities devoted to magecraft, ah well, he would simply have to use common laboratories until he built up enough stock here to receive a lab of his own.

Once he recovered from his surprise he fixed his new master with a suspicious look hidden behind his static mask. There were very few people who would be so generous, likely there would be some major catch down the road. He did not give voice to his suspicions instead he wordlessly followed Rayage inside the laboratory, looking about in fascination.

The corner of the room that housed large cages immediately caught his notice, particularly the two Moldlings. The other two cages seemed to house some large bears of some kind, alchemically altered if he was to be the judge of things. His interest was immediately piqued, a living Moldling was a rare thing indeed, the creation of a homunculi was a sign of great skill. The masked alchemist also sent a cursory glance over the assorted slaves, making a note to keep out of reach of the vicious Zith.

Valus regarded his master for a moment before looking back at the cages. "I am impressed, Master Rayage, creating living homunculi Moldlings is no simple task. I have only read of them, truly you did not exaggerate your prowess. I am honored to be permitted the use of your impressive laboratory."

Valus was impressed, there was no denying that, however compared to his current research the Moldlings were little more than a dark curiosity. What were these pale imitations compared to a weapon that could kill gods? Or armor that could bind one's soul to it? Alchemy was useful and some of its applications were fascinating by themselves, however it was only when combined with magecraft that its true potential be reached.

"I take it the assortment of individuals there are your latest test subjects. I can imagine that your particular brand of research would call for them in great quantities." He noted, analyzing the assortment of species there.

"Also I don't suppose it would be out of line to inquire as to your current projects, Master Rayage, so that I know to avoid tampering with them?" Valus inquired.

Valus was very eager to get started on back on his own research, he would certainly assist his master with whatever she need but he had been too long away from his own experiments. He had very little desire to mess about in the study of life when his own goals transcended life and death.
"Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world."

~Victor Frankenstein
Valus

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Chance of Time (Valus)

Postby Rayage on April 10th, 2013, 9:09 am

Yes… Moldlings. They were not even true homunculi, but rather fragments of research unfinished, the crude first steps towards unraveling an even greater Alchemical mystery. The mention of the creatures prompted Rayage to glace at them with an accomplished smile, ”Yes, but they are incomplete.” she commented, ”They cannot reproduce or procreate. The Alchemy has stripped them of that.” again she sounded unsatisfied, and indeed she was. It was only recently she begun to contemplate on recreating them with her new understanding and knowledge of the art.

The next comment made Ray laugh, ”An Alchemist of your stature probably can’t fathom the number of creatures it takes to properly Mold something to one’s own vision. Indeed. It takes too much…” she said glancing over at the newly acquired slaves. Most of them would be used for Project Vinonen. ”However I am to create a much more efficient reaction when it comes to binding life itself to objects and things. Why, where do you begin, you ask?” she said, ”You begin at the beginning.” she grinned at her answer to her own question. ”You look at the tools, and you better the tools you work with. Better quality tools allows for ones potential product to be better, no?” she hoped that Valus would understand what she was getting at, ”Im going to recreate the alchemy circle.” She stated.

”That, however is one of my projects.” she said, walking towards her desk, setting the vial of ink upon it and storing the glyphed parchment securely in a wooden drawer. ”My other projects include remaking H1 and H2-A, overseeing Project Vinonen, the melding of the disciplines of Malediction and Alchemy with the aid of Wizard Vick, and most recently the production of new kinds of various plant-life within Sahova. I plan to, eventually, revolutionize how Pulsers eat around here.” she said, ”Their food is far too unhealthy. Besides, I have an army to rise.” she had other reasons too, but Valus did not need to know the specifics.

”In about five days my order from the Office will arrive. It will contain various seeds, pots and soil, and whatnot. Please do not touch those items. Soon too the construction of a specialized area within my lab will begin as well, a place for me to grow the plants for my research. A greenhouse of sorts. I have really no clue how long it will take me to meld new plants, but it will go a lot faster without your interference.” she immediately uninvited him from helping, ”You may go about your own projects as you will, but I would like you to write reports on what you are doing. Two copies.” she instructed, ”I must know what you are up to, the thesis behind your experiments, what you are trying to accomplish, but more importantly what you accomplished, if anything. Failure too is ok to report. Just I ask you make the projects worth the vast resources which are given. Most basic materials are delivered right to my lab, but if you need anything particular you will have to go to the Synchrograph Office. There you will find the most helpful little man named Boris. You simply fill out the correct form found on his desk, and he will either accept or deny your request.”

”Boris works for Master Lector Qiao, who I too happen to work for. You shouldn’t have much trouble getting anything you need, especially as my apprentice.” she said sounding almost bored with the words coming from her mouth.

”Your apprenticeship will last at least forty days and nights.” she continued to explain, ”Upon which time I may decide to recommend you to be promoted as a Wizard, and your talents will be assessed further. Do note that everything you do as my apprentice reflects directly upon me. I will not be made a fool of.” there was a hint of a threat in her voice, but she left it at that, vague and undefined.

”What of yourself?” she asked, ”Why exactly do you seek what you do? Is it merely for power? Fame? A legacy which will outlast life, and even live upon your demise?” she asked, guessing shallowly at his ambitions.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Chance of Time (Valus)

Postby Valus on April 10th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Valus regarded Master Rayage as she spoken, carefully committing important information to memory. His eyes had widened a fraction of an inch as she mentioned recreating the alchemy circle; it was quite an ambitious project though he could imagine the rewards from such a thing would be massive. It would also be very, very dangerous so Valus made a quick mental note to avoid being anywhere near Rayage during these experiments if possible, if the master alchemist was looking to achieve her own demise she was on the right track. He accepted that she had no wish to include him in her experiments, while the masked nuit did possess a passing interest in alchemy regarding life creation he had his own research to worry about.

The fact that she had given him freedom to go about his experiments was certainly welcome, already he had a few experiments in mind, most would require him to seek the common labs but still it was nice to possess relative freedom. He would have no trouble giving Rayage a copy of any notes he took, it was unlikely he would be working on anything particularly worthwhile for some time. Compared to his long lifetime, forty days of apprenticeship was nothing, a blink of an eye really.

"I will endeavor to have my action reflect positively upon you, Master, and I will give you full oversight of any of my projects of course." The masked undead said with a slight bow.

As Master Rayage inquired to what he really sought Valus frowned, it was a subject he really preferred to keep to himself. His reasons were on a need to know basis, and his new master as earnest as she seemed didn't need to know.

"My reasons are something I would rather keep to myself, if it is all the same to you, Master Rayage. I suspect you would find them dreadfully dull in any event. Let us simply say my reasons are not complex, nor do they oppose your own." Valus responded simply.

Who he was and where he came from was irrelevant, there was no need for anyone to know anything about him. If anyone interrogated him about the matter all they were likely to be given were lies and half truths at best. Hopefully Master Rayage was not one who particularly cared about her apprentices or their lives, she was already granting him academic freedom if she didn't mind his reclusive tendencies then they would get along just fine.

"Are there any restrictions on apprentices that I should be aware of, Master Rayage? Or anything that may require my attention?" The masked nuit asked, wanting to continue his research as quickly as possible.

~Victor Frankenstein
Valus

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Chance of Time (Valus)

Postby Mirage on June 4th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Rayage

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Glyphing 3
Reimancy 3
Teaching 3
Drawing 2

Lores
Lore Earned
Reimancy: The Fundamentals of Fire
Glyphing: Producing Fire Glyphs

It's Not What You Think...

I am sad to see this thread did not get finished! *sigh* oh well. Valus if you come back PM me and I will add in your grade :). As for you Ray, great job on the reimancy! I threw in an extra point for the meticulous attention to detail in your post. If you want more, however, I need to see some emphasis on the draining aspect of using reimancy at the novice level. It should be a strain on the mind, as well as the Djed, to preform even something as simple as that in the beginning stages. Great job with the glyphing though. Add it to your arsenal! Lol. PM me if you have any concerns :)

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)