Rhao, Falconry question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Rhao, Falconry question

Postby Rhaokinmund on June 7th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Hello folks.

I just wanted to ask a few questions in regards to Falconry. I'm semi-familiar with birds in general, worked with parrots for a good two years, but never any raptor species. My question is does anyone know of some online resources on the subject of Falconry? I'm sort of looking to psuedo-falconry, meaning not exactly correct but is generally true in the real world.

Along with information I know the basics of hoods and jessies but I do not know what sort of cages to use and general care. I'm sure there is a zookeeper sort of website out there, just have found one quite yet. I figured I'd reach out to the masses to see if others have information and can help me hone my search.
Rhaokinmund
Player

Words: 3982
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Rhao, Falconry question

Postby Fox Starseer on June 7th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Other then goggling it (and not finding much to go off), when I've been dealing with my characters Falconry, I just took some educated guesses based on what the lore says I can do at my respective skill level.
Fox Starseer
Player

Words: 43727
Joined roleplay: March 12th, 2013, 10:23 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Rhao, Falconry question

Postby Dust on June 7th, 2013, 4:57 pm

I find that archive.org is an excellent resource for almost everything. You just have to be a little patient searching through it for exactly what you need.

Here are four older falconry tomes I've bookmarked:I was looking for more medieval usage than modern falconry, which is what you're apt to get going directly to Google. For more current practices and also general information, The Modern Apprentice is one of my main go-to sites.

Hopefully these can be of some use to you!
Dust
Player

Words: 160562
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Rhao, Falconry question

Postby Rhaokinmund on July 21st, 2013, 5:21 pm

Thank you all very much for the information!
Rhaokinmund
Player

Words: 3982
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Rhao, Falconry question

Postby Brodon Windriver on July 21st, 2013, 5:42 pm

I too, very much want to thank you, Dust, for those links.

Thanks also Fox. I've been doing pretty much what you've described, and felt pretty good about it. But those links surpass what I had managed to find with my Googling.

I have the added benefit of having sisters that train dogs, so I have a very rudimentary concept of animal training programs, but it's hardly comprehensive, OR focused on birds.

But it's certainly easier than teaching my own children to behave! :disgust:

"Carrying an angry load, keeps you on an angry road."
Brodon Windriver
It's your move...

Words: 251972
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2012, 5:41 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Journal
Medals: 1
Donor (1)