[Vhast's Scrapbook] Vast Visions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Phoenix on June 3rd, 2013, 7:45 am

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What am I supposed to do from Monday thru Thursday :(
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Raif on June 6th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Looks like I'll be mostly unavailable/totally out of it for the next couple of days while I'm recovering from a knee injury I incurred while camping. I'll try to get some posts out, and try to flesh out just what the hell happened to me, but I'm on a lot of pain meds right now, and sleepy all the time. I'm sorry to those I owe posts to, but I will do my best to make replies.

All the best.
Raif
Player

Words: 68633
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 4:14 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Johanne on June 6th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Stop DOING this to yourself.

Get better.
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Words: 168999
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2012, 8:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Hadyn Skellig on June 11th, 2013, 3:52 am

Gimp

What I mean by that is... get better soon, please. And use your damn crutches! That's what they're there for.
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Aidan Sutter on June 16th, 2013, 5:56 am

So I suppose I should be writing, as I owe quite a few posts, but I felt that I needed do something a little silly and fun before I delve into Mr. Srs Poster.

Why I was initially absent:

So this is Red River Gorge, a national park you'll find in Kentucky just east of Lexington. It's part of the Daniel Boone National Forest, and has been around for quite some time. It's beautiful, it's fun, it's a good place to go camping and hiking. Both of which I enjoy immensely. Come around in the Fall when the leaves are changing and your eyes will orgasm. It's my backwoods home, and takes just three hours to drive to from where I live. I was lucky enough to go there recently with my two friends who came into town to visit, and we had a blast. Well, mostly... I'll get to the part that wasn't such a blast shortly.

A wild butterfly appears!:

There's something about a butterfly on the tip of one's finger in the middle of miles and miles of dense forest that brings peace to your world. I suppose it's worth mentioning that I found this guy eating from a pile of horse shit found on one of the trails we hiked. But that's life. Finding beauty above all the shit.

Never go camping near rivers. They flood:

We did it anyway. But there is a story about my friend Jeremy and Ryan getting trapped when the Gorge flooded a few years back. They both lived to tell the tale, thankfully, but never doubt mother nature's power. We checked the forecast before we went off exploring this trip and found that there weren't going to be any storms, so camping next to this creek wasn't such a big deal. It was beautiful, and our site pretty much kicked ass.

Catching a few Z's on top of a glacier formed rock:

One of my favorite things to do, aside from going hiking, is hanging out at the top of your world and looking down at all the peons--I mean, lovely verdant forests, below. My friend Brian apparently caught me between dozing and looking up at Red Tailed Hawks soaring the skies above. Words really can't describe it. Neither can pictures honestly. But now we come to the crux of this whole scrap.

DEVIL ROCK SHELTER:

It's beautiful, isn't it? You could basically make this your home away from home in a storm. And the hill. The hill doesn't look all that steep to climb. Oh, but don't let the illusion fool you, my friends. It is steep, and the shelter doesn't want to be your home. In fact, it wants to try to kill you.

This is where I...had a little tumble and injured myself. Sprained both knees and got one covered in blood. The doctors had a good laugh about the imagery, and I imagine you should too. Go ahead, laugh. It was a little worrisome being three miles away from the car on a trail that covered some pretty rugged terrain, but I (obviously) lived to tell the tale.

So here I am now, refusing to be bedridden, but almost healed, and raring to get some posting done.
Aidan Sutter
Player

Words: 45558
Joined roleplay: May 13th, 2013, 8:35 pm
Character sheet

Postby Gideon on July 17th, 2013, 11:56 pm

So for those of you who don't know, I Stumble. Not in the: 'I have the balance of a drunk toddler high on bath salts' sort of way, but more of the: 'there's this cool site for people who have five second attention spans with a lot of free time on their hands that they might otherwise be using to chase said drunk toddlers high on bath salts' sort of way. It's addicting...the chasing and the Stumbling, I mean. Not the bath salts...though I would imag--NO BATH SALTS, KIDS.

If you do have a five second attention span like me, there's a good chance I've probably already lost you. Have no fear! I won't hold it against you...just don't expect a card around the holidays with a picture of me in an ugly Christmas sweater hugging my cat and dog to the point of suffocation like everyone else's crappy holiday cards (substitute 'cat/dog' for 'son/daughter' where applicable). Seriously, who thinks these things are good ideas?! WHO?!

Anyway...

If I haven't lost you, there's this site I Stumbled on today about plotting that I found interesting.

We've all been there before.

What the HELL am I doing with my character?!

Maybe if I slut myself around because I have a pretty avatar, a plot will develop magically!

Hmm, I'll go bug the ever-living-shit out of (Insert ST Name here) for a thread. Yeah! I'm sure they have plenty of free time to kill and would love to make my character's story happen for me!

I love cantaloupe... I know! I'll make my character's entire plot revolve around this magical fruit!

You get the idea.

Anyway, we've all struggled with where to take our character in this wonderful world that's been created, and I think this list provides a good deal of conflict (that mysterious thing that moves your story) on what can be achieved with no more than your own creative juices at work. Develop it slowly, run your ideas by a few friends, an ST if you have doubts about the legality of it, write it down, and then SHARE it so maybe you can pull a few wandering souls in. If you don't like the idea, you don't have to use it. But I think the shortfall of a lot of characters is that they expect the story to work for them, instead of the other way around.

I've done it...countless times.
Last edited by Gideon on November 14th, 2014, 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gideon
Player

Words: 87562
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Hadyn Skellig on July 30th, 2013, 4:39 am

I just died. So glad you found this gem.

Also, butterflies on horseshit - win. Poo nomnomnom

the end
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Gideon on November 19th, 2014, 1:10 pm

For anyone wondering what happened to me (I know, I know... I'm a big deal. People know me.)

Work has me working all sorts of odd hours, preferably very long ones.

My roommate is moving out this weekend out of the blue, forcing me to scramble to get things done.

My lady friend is taking up my weekends.

Oh, and I might be sick. The sort of sick that's "life is holding a gun to my head but I'm all *spit in life's face* 'Do it you little bitch.'" sort of sick. So all sorts of tests and probes and things there.

So that's my life right now. I'm not gone. Just busy.

Hope your NaNo is going swimmingly.
Gideon
Player

Words: 87562
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Previous