Improve Mizahar's Lore - Can You Do It Better? Prove It.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Evalin on June 11th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Xio your idea sounds more like a development issue instead of a current lore issue. Maybe put in a request to develop such things to the Help Desk, and then go through the World Development process :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 18th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I can request alterations here?

Good... because I've had one poking me for a while, though it's a small thing

The Acrobatics lore... in the 'flight' section, it includes Pycons in its list of flying races. But the Pycon lore specifically states that all wings are purely ornamental. Could you please remove it from there?

Thanks!

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Evalin on June 18th, 2013, 2:00 pm

You don't "request' alterations here. You put up or shut up lol. Basically YOU make the alterations and post it here for everyone to see, and find out if everyone else agrees with them :). Good luck!

P.S. for that small little bit I would pull an HD ticket and put in a request to edit that part of the lore :). You noticed it so fix it :D
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on June 18th, 2013, 3:09 pm

*facepalm*
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Jh'eon on June 18th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Guys,

IN EASY TERMS:

This thread is for alterations made by YOU.

Wish thread and HD are for stuff you want altered by the STAFF.

T.T
Jh'eon
Player

Words: 32412
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on June 18th, 2013, 3:38 pm

I hope you guys are getting a little bit of a hint of what I have to deal with as a Founder day in and day out. If nothing else gets accomplished through this thread, its GOT to be an eyeopener for the playerbase in general about how things are constantly misunderstood and people don't read things carefully.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 18th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Ahh my bad... now I feel really stupid.

Seriously... I should read things more in depth...

And Goss, I think I sorta understand... partially since I've screwed up numerous times myself. Sure people lean from mistakes, but annoyingly that causes more work for you, doesn't it? Ahh well... the problems with having such a big and amazing universe/website...

Thanks for correcting me :)

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Tallis on June 20th, 2013, 12:35 am

I have taken these quotes from Gossamer about Kelvics directly from the chat:

(19:47:18) Gossamer: kelvics don't have trouble learning
(19:50:15) Gossamer: it means kelvics are not inclined to.certain things like being scholars or mages
(19:51:11) Gossamer: once they.bond their interest can.change.And they.can.develop a fondness for such.skills.
19:51:23) Tallis: My bad, I should have clarified that they have trouble learning academic subjects while young.
(19:51:36) Tallis: I quote again: "They simply find studying and formal learning very difficult during certain periods of their development.""
(19:51:38) Gossamer: They.don't
(19:51:49) Gossamer: They.Just aren't.interested
(19:51:58) Gossamer: They.could I'd they.want too
(19:52:06) Gossamer: if they wanted to
(19:52:16) Gossamer: ...but.They are kids... They play
(19:58:13) Gossamer: They don't have trouble
(19:58:25) Gossamer: They just aren't interested
(19:58:33) Gossamer: They are busy.being kids
(19:58:49) Gossamer: playing...doesn't.mean they can't....

I interpreted the lore differently, so these are my proposed changes to make sure others don’t interpret it wrongly as well.

These are the original paragraphs:

Because of a Kelvics aging process – they grow up so fast – they tend to be on the lower side of the knowledgeable scale. This is often assumed to be a lack of intelligence when in fact it is simply a lack of education. Kelvics find advanced scholarly topics (Math, Science, and History) especially difficult to learn in their early years, particularly before bonding. For example, it would be uncommon to find a Kelvic that could actually write, do basic math, or discuss logic that is in their first or second year and unbonded. Why? Because of their age process, Kelvics grow up fast and often skip the lower education most humans and other sentient creatures receive.

Such education takes time and patience. They are overwhelmingly simple creatures with simple needs in their youth and before they are bonded. Once they mature, settle, and bond Kelvics can gain any sort of knowledge they decide too, including magic and complex topics in science, art, and even education. Kelvics do not lack intelligence, though this is an easy mistake for most people to make when not taking all aspects of the race into account. It is quite clear that Marcus Kelvic bred intelligence into them. They simply find studying and formal learning very difficult during certain periods of their development. Basically, once mature and bonded, Kelvics are not limited by their race in regards to their learning.

These are my proposed paragraphs:

Because of a Kelvics aging process – they grow up so fast – they tend to be on the lower side of the knowledgeable scale. This is often assumed to be a lack of intelligence when in fact it is simply a lack of education. Kelvics find advanced scholarly topics (Math, Science, and History) especially difficult to learn in their early years, particularly before bonding. Young Kelvics, much like young humans, find advanced academic topics (Math, Science, History, Magic) uninteresting and difficult to learn. Once they have matured and have bonded, their interests can change and they can develop a fondness for such skills. For example, it would be uncommon to find a Kelvic that could actually write, do basic math, or discuss logic that is in their first or second year and unbonded. Why? Because of their age process, Kelvics grow up so fast that they often skip the basic education most humans and other sentient creatures receive.

Such education takes time and patience which young Kelvics may lack. In their short youth and before they are bonded, they are overwhelmingly simple creatures with simple needs. Once they mature, settle, and bond, Kelvics can gain any sort of knowledge they decide too, including magic and complex topics in science, art, and even education. Kelvics do not lack intelligence, though this is an easy mistake for most people to make when not taking all aspects of the race into account. It is quite clear that Marcus Kelvic bred intelligence into them. They simply find studying and formal learning to be unenjoyable or uninteresting during earlier periods of their development, something that isn’t uncommon in other races. Basically, once mature and bonded, Kelvics are not limited by their race in regards to their learning.

Although the changes aren't drastic, I feel that they better reflect the points that Gossamer pointed out in chat. You may have noticed that the changes incorporate her words. Although slightly repetitive, it helps to reinforce a key point that I think many people (including me) did not fully comprehend. Gossamer's words helped me understand Kelvics properly and I think they can help others as well.
Last edited by Tallis on June 20th, 2013, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Inayl on June 20th, 2013, 2:15 pm

I'd like to make a suggestion as well... as it is something I've personally misinterpreted and as a result started an extremely dumb and confusing Help Desk Thread, which, I believe, caused you quite some annoyance, Goss :)

As for the suggestion ( http://www.mizahar.com/lore/NPC ):

ORIGINAL

How to Acquire an NPC

NPCs can be acquired at character creation (via a Help Desk request) or through actual game play in which an NPC is hired or otherwise acquired in a thread overseen by a Storyteller. The NPC must then be added to the characters Storyteller Secrets by the storyteller who awards it.

The Two Types Of NPCs And Their Rules

The first type of NPC is the Stationary NPC who has a link to the PC, but remains at the same location and are generally unchanging. Classic examples: the family living at home or employees in a PC's business. The defining trait of these NPCs is that they don't move from their location or do anything special. They don't follow the PC around except in special RPed events. They adhere to the following rules:

No limit to numbers;
No transfer of income, possessions or skills to the PC (DS approval and possibly moderation required for this)
Up to 50 skill points and no special notability within the city (again, DS approval required for more)
Unchanging - meaning can't be trained up or skills expanded upon.
Must be added to the PC's storyteller's secret thread.

The second type of NPC is the Traveling Companion who follows the PC around at will. Classic examples are: children, kelvic bondmates, and slaves. They just adhere to the following rules:

Must be requested at the Help Desk to be available at the start.
Up to 30 skill points, no more than 10 in any one skill;
PC must properly justify NPC via an explanation in the help desk.
Founders reserve the right to turn any and all NPCs down
Founders may alter main pc's starting package to balance out the presence of NPCs by giving PC less starting money or less skills at creation in order to approve NPC.

CHANGED

The Two Types Of NPCs And Their Rules

The first type of NPC is the Stationary NPC who has a link to the PC, but remains at the same location and are generally unchanging. Classic examples: the family living at home or employees in a PC's business. The defining trait of these NPCs is that they don't move from their location or do anything special. They don't follow the PC around except in special RPed events. They adhere to the following rules:

No limit to numbers;
No transfer of income, possessions or skills to the PC (DS approval and possibly moderation required for this)
Up to 50 skill points and no special notability within the city (again, DS approval required for more)
Unchanging - meaning can't be trained up or skills expanded upon.

The second type of NPC is the Traveling Companion who follows the PC around at will. Classic examples are: children, kelvic bondmates, and slaves. They just adhere to the following rules:

Must be requested at the Help Desk to be available at the start.
Up to 30 skill points, no more than 10 in any one skill;
PC must properly justify NPC via an explanation in the help desk.
Founders reserve the right to turn any and all NPCs down
Founders may alter main pc's starting package to balance out the presence of NPCs by giving PC less starting money or less skills at creation in order to approve NPC.

How to Acquire an NPC

NPCs can be acquired at character creation (via a Help Desk request) or through actual game play in which an NPC is hired or otherwise acquired in a thread overseen by a Storyteller. The NPC must then be added to the characters Storyteller Secrets by the storyteller who awards it.

When creating your Help Desk request, keep in mind that the application for Stationary VS. Travelling Companion NPCs is slightly different.

Example Stationary NPC request:

Name: NPC's full name here.
NPC Type: Stationary
Race & Gender: NPC's race and gender here.
Relation to PC: Family member? Childhood friend? Ex-lover? Employee?
Skills: List skills that this NPC has (with skill points totalling no more than 50EXP). These skills often indicate what sort of interests or profession they have. For example, a doctor may have:
  • Medicine (30 EXP)
  • Herbalism (15 EXP)
  • Storytelling (5 EXP)
Other: If your NPC has a gnosis mark (ex. Konti), please include this here. Anything else you think is important to add should be written here.

Example Travelling NPC request:

Name: NPC's full name here.
NPC Type: Travelling Companion
Race & Gender: NPC's race and gender here.
Relation to PC: Child? Slave? Kelvic Bondmate?
Skills: List skills that this NPC has (with skill points totalling no more than 30EXP, and no more than 10EXP in each skill). These skills often indicate what sort of interests or profession they have. For example, a mischievous child may have:
  • Larceny (10 EXP)
  • Acrobatics (10 EXP)
  • Storytelling (5 EXP)
  • Brawling (5 EXP)
Justification: Travelling Companion NPCs require justification for their acquisition. Why are they important for your PC's development/storyline? What role do they play in your PC's life?
Other: If your NPC has a gnosis mark (ex. Konti), please include this here. Anything else you think is important to add should be written here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe this change will prevent other people from making the same mistake I made: not fully understanding the concept of a request-thread and hence not giving all the necessary information :)

EDIT: ... Can't believe I just posted a non-lore change... Ugh, I'm sorry :(
Inayl
Player

Words: 21154
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 11:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 20th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Can you guys highlight your changes in other colors? I'm having trouble, other than seeing a few rephrasings that doesn't really alter what the original says.

Inayl are you suggesting, in your case, that we require an NPC submission format? I've never done this before. People always submit NPCS various different ways, which I dont' mind, so long as they include the things we require them too.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext