Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Questions

Postby Matthis the Winded on June 21st, 2013, 2:06 pm

I'm glad I can change my username here. I have no idea what I want to call myself.

I'm here, firstly, because the RP community on my old forum is dying, and they removed the section with complexity and persistent storyline. I never got into that world, and now that it's gone, I want to.

The largest problem I have with the vast majority of all RPGs (of any format and genre) is that it's all fighting, fighting, fighting. And if it's not fighting, it's casual, which is usually equally as boring.

So I want to ask--what are the dynamics of playing as a merchant, crafstman, business owner, etc.? I've seen character registries that list a few such "mundane" profiles, but how does their role fit into the world, the community, and most importantly (for me) it's economy?

How would I get started as a business owner here, and what kind of RPing would I be doing? How would I develop my character and his or her skills such that he/she continues on that track? Might someone be able to link me to examples?
Matthis the Winded
Player

Words: 2995
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2013, 1:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Questions

Postby Irriari on June 21st, 2013, 3:13 pm

Welcome to Miz!

As far as business plans go, we have business plans forum. Once you talk to your local storyteller, you can make arrangements to start a business. Some cities will loan you mizas to start a business (which must be repaid in a set amount of time, usually a year). Here's an example of a good business plan. Mizahar even has a gnosis mark that lets you see the economic and social value in things, though it's still in development. I think, as an rpg, we have a lot of emphasis and support for players who want to craft their own business and play that way.

I can't speak too much about the dynamics, as I don't own my own business, but I do know that they are as active and influential as you endeavor to make them. Using the Sanctuary as an example (again)... it started as a business plan, and now the Santuary is a huge part of the city of Riverfall. They have their own breed of horse, a large library, and a bunch of employees (a lot of whom are actual player characters). There are also small shops that haven't grown to be that big. Again, it's all in your hands. I hope this helps a bit.

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Questions

Postby Matthis the Winded on June 21st, 2013, 4:12 pm

That does help a lot, thank you. It would have taken me a while to stumble upon the business plans forum and that little mechanic.

Now I can look through businesses and related character sheets, that link to the RPs that improved the business skills. Gosh, this is so well organized.
Matthis the Winded
Player

Words: 2995
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2013, 1:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Questions

Postby Irriari on June 21st, 2013, 4:19 pm

Yep, that's one of the benefits of Miz. We even have a forum for character created organizations/businesses to have their own subforums for coordination and such!

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)