[Discussion - Please Weigh In] Getting Articles Approved

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Gossamer on June 8th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Hey guys...

While I was in the shower, I had a thought. During a snarky moment in chat, I announced I was not going to be ready any more WD threads because people got too offended by both what I said and the standards I like to uphold here. I've had the attitude truthfully that it's easier to write things myself than to help people out with their own ideas - especially if they get horribly offended when I ask for more detail or want them to do what I consider is a complete job.

But.. this isn't about what I think really. It's about people having their own ideas and wanting to see them developed. I made the statement in chat that I'd only read articles for approval if people specifically asked me too... and now my PM box has several (4?) wanting input.

So... basically we need a better system. Someone suggested we close the World Development forum down completely if no one is going to look at it. I don't think that that is the answer. Mizahar is a collaborative storytelling venture, so everyone's ideas count and should hold weight...

So what if we have stages? If someone's just doing an article and working on it slowly... how about putting [WIP] in the title? That way no one comments until they want comments. Then, when they are ready for the game to comment, then can change the title to [Peer Review Please]. Once they've gotten some feedback by the group, did a rewrite, they could then add.... [Founder Review Please].. when they think it's all ready?

That way, we don't butt in too soon... but we can give feedback when they think it's ready for it?

Thoughts? Do you have a better idea? Weigh in.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Dusk on June 9th, 2010, 12:17 am

I think this is an excellent system, and much more likely to be helpful for getting things approved. I know you don't like playing the bad guy, and that you usually get stuck with that because you're the one who always reviewed them. Would it be possible to get more of the Founders involved in the process? I know it's probably pipe dreams, but I don't want you to get stuck with all of this any more than you WANT to be stuck with all of this. :)

But yes, I think the levels will definitely help out with knowing when articles are ready for review by Founders. And if this is the system we go with, maybe put a sticky at the top of the WD forum explaining that?
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Eidolon on June 9th, 2010, 12:26 am

I agree with Dusk, I think that would be a good change to implement in the current system.
Not only would it take some of the pressure off you Jen, but it would also make those people who are coming up with the ideas open to even more feedback, which I think is always a good thing.

Also, that way, by the time the idea has gone through the filters of their peers, it would provide for a much more polished article.

Excellent idea. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with.

:)
Eidolon
Retired Staff

Words: 5587
Joined roleplay: June 6th, 2010, 3:35 pm
Office

Postby Mao on June 9th, 2010, 1:26 am

Since I have a landspawn ready for some feedback I would love to start this. I will do it as I post and change the title as it should be to gain more approval/feedback.

Great idea! ^_^
Mao
Nyancat

Words: 151412
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 10:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Cayenne on June 9th, 2010, 3:44 am

I like this. :)

Quite frankly, I've been meaning to get to WD, and I've got a few things I've been asked to review, some things I've got saved posts on, because I wanted to actually research the topic myself. This would make it just that much easier so we're not reviewing things when people have decided they're dead, or the people who started on them left.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Aedai on June 9th, 2010, 3:49 am

I Agree! Me Like! Since I've been waiting for some feedback myself and wouldn't mind some harsh comments x) but the system sounds nice :). Splendid Idea :D
Aedai
Herbalist

Words: 31065
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2010, 1:04 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on June 9th, 2010, 10:39 am

We always sticky things after decisions are made.

Look, I want to make something really clear here. This isn't about easing some burden on me. I've actually pretty much stopped reviewing the World Development Forum so there absolutely isn't any burden to lift. But I want to have people feel free to create and promote their own unique original stuff without stepping on toes and only placing feedback when it is desired. The problem is, no articles are getting critiqued or approved because the system has stalled.

So... other Founders have been asked to look over articles and do so. However, we don't really know when folks are ready for us too. No one regularly looks over the WD forum either, so that can be an issue. What we need to do is to be able to say once a week hit the forum and immediately by looking down at the thread list, see what needs attention. That, I think, will be a good way to work it. And also, those that need peer review and aren't getting them... you can always 'bump' your thread to make it appear 'new'. I'd suggest doing this in high traffic times so a lot of people see it.

So... for the system...

• [WIP] = I'm just posting it. Please refrain from comments until I get further along.
  • [Peer Review Pls] = Hey folks. Can you look this over and see if its even feasible? How about adding some constructive comments. The 'That's GREAT' comments are nice, but they aren't very helpful. Could you maybe read it for grammar and spelling... or tell me what you like about it. Suggestions for additions or things that don't make sense are also very helpful at this stage.
  • [Founder Review] = Okay, I'm feeling gutsy. I've heard others comments and want to get some direct feedback from the people that really have to approve it. This will be the toughest step, so how about making sure you nudge your friends and beg them to peer review first keeping the gushing to a minimum and the helpful suggestions to the max. You can even specify what founder you want to review it.
  • [Final Approval] = This thing has been picked apart by my peers and a founder... i've corrected all the mistakes. Can I add it to the wiki now? Where's my !*(@*@#($)%)@! approval stamp?!?!

So, feasible? Workable? I want people to get their articles up, especially the beasties, but I don't want to do it at the expense of hurting people's feelings that aren't ready to be hurt. Plus, I know the pbase will tell someone their stuff is junk or point them in the right direction BEFORE one singular person has to step in and be the bad guy alllll the time. This means, we need to work on less 'THIS IS FABULOUS' which while that's nice to say and okay... is absolutely not helpful if its the ONLY thing you say.

Got it?
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Liminal on June 9th, 2010, 11:02 am

I can't even tell you how much easier this would make things for me when I want to look at World Development stuff. I hope it would also make it easier for the players.

Great idea.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Malia on June 9th, 2010, 8:39 pm

This is a great idea that will help to get some order in the chaos of development articles. I especially like that this way articles are open for a specific group of people and not everyone (which might result in nobody actually commenting).

I think an article would also be helpful - about what is important when sharing criticism and comments on other people's article including things like "no one-liners" and "mention grammar mistakes if you notice them" and maybe some general bullet points people can look for in other articles. (I don't know if I want to be the one to write such an article though.)
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on July 3rd, 2010, 6:04 pm

Okay guys...

Your feedback has been greatly appreciated. It has generated a new procedure. Check it out and please remember this kicks in as of August 1, 2010 so if you have articles pending, please make sure you get them approved before then.

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic1131.html

The above link is the new procedures. I hope you enjoy.l
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes