Valedictory

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Valedictory

Postby Valedict on July 1st, 2013, 5:20 pm

This site does not offer what I assumed it would, thus I decided to leave.
Last edited by Valedict on July 23rd, 2013, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Valedict
Player

Words: 2256
Joined roleplay: July 1st, 2013, 4:39 am
Race: Human

Inception

Postby Shausha on July 1st, 2013, 6:52 pm

eep
___________________________________________________________________________________________

The way you express yourself through type is quite scornfularrogant, conceited, imperious, etc. . I'm a little wary to say hi...lol...

Welcome to Mizahar. I'd direct your Inartan questions to a Wind Reach expert like Pheonix as she will be able to give you answers more accurate than the general public can offer.

I'd also direct your overly specific questions
to a founder such as Gossamer.to the Q&A forum. (Edit: You're right Drav XD)

Feel free to drop into chat if you've got any other questions. There are usually a few people hanging out there.

Last edited by Shausha on July 1st, 2013, 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shausha
Is it the sun down yet?

Words: 99565
Joined roleplay: May 16th, 2013, 7:28 am
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Inception

Postby Draven on July 1st, 2013, 7:08 pm

Shausha, you naughty ... zith ?!
'Bring those question to Goss!' ;)
She already has more than enough to do! ( And would certainly NOT appreciate such questions ... not even gonna mention the tone of said questions )

Now, Sterba, you clearly have A LOT of RP experience, and you're probably A LOT
better than any random newbie ( <- Includes Myself )...
However, this is still a friendly, semi-casual RPing forum ... which prides itself on originality and openness. So please try and lower the Audaco-meter= try to sound a bit friendlier! ;)

As for your questions;
Be sure to read through all the relevant Lore-pages before you contact a ST!
Even better, try and ask these questions in the Questions and Answer subsection, before you contact a ST...

I do wish you tons of MIzaharian Fun! ... and Kudos for picking an Inarta, they tend to be quite rare around here ( <- As far as I'm aware of ) ;)
Draven
Player

Words: 27806
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Inception

Postby Dailey Carter on July 1st, 2013, 7:31 pm

Hello... Don't hurt me....

Well I would probably change your profile picture to your characters looks, and your username to your characters first AND last name. That's just kinda what everyone does.
Dailey Carter
Player

Words: 2321
Joined roleplay: July 1st, 2013, 5:10 pm
Race: Konti

Inception

Postby Fallon on July 1st, 2013, 7:58 pm

Well, welcome to Mizahar I suppose. Fallon herself is a normal human, but my alternate character is an Inarta, so although I am no "pro-reader" of Wind Reach and the race I can try and answer some questions in that general area. Within the Wind Reach sub-forum itself there is the Link map which describes and has links to places that are, and are not in Wind Reach - I am sure that you may be able to read it when all your other areas are "void" and you are free from your usual busy schedule.

Although perhaps we could beat about the bush about what is what exactly, there are perhaps some questions I can at least have a go at answering (though my knowledge on it is limited so do bare with me) which are more Flora and Fauna orientated. From what I understand most of Earth's species and creatures are crossed over in one form or another to Mizahar, for example there are several dog species on Earth that appear in Mizahar just under different names.

In terms of plants and trees, it would be simpler to break up the areas have the similar climatic zones that Earth does, and so their respective regions match (more or less), for example the Sylira region is described (and appears to myself) as being a temperate/marine climate and thus would have similar species of plants. In the case of Kalea (where Wind Reach is located) it is both mountainous and although it may fall once more on the temperate scale, is also leaning towards the more Humid Continental end (as aposed to the 'very cold and bitter' end). Thus suggesting things like pine and the like. I also think immediately think of Austria and Switzerland when it comes to Kalea, accept of course with more mountains.

Never the less, I am sure that most of the flora would be similar to that on earth and that you would most certainly be able to have your yew longbow with all its specific attachments.

In terms of 'weapon material quality rank' the closest thing that would perhaps describe what you are looking for is located on the price list under the weapon related. However, it is not overly specific on what 'types' of wood are stronger but, it does aid in having a slight understanding in the more basic weapon materials along with a description of what they are like in relation to others.

God wise, well that is entirely up to you to look into and decide yourself. Some people only know of the name of the gods, some know what they can do, whilst others know exactly what they stand for. Personally I would do what you feel is suitable for the character, nothing more, nothing less. Just be sure to read the lores of the Gods themselves should you be interested in following them - or equally if you are not at all. From the perspective of the alt the gods do not interest her too much, but that is just how I play her as a character.

Forgetting skills? Not as far as I know. Though if you do not have the points in the skill to begin with you will have to start from square one, and how you do that is as you wish. From flashbacks to present day threading, it is once more your decision.

Once more, welcome to Mizahar, and should you have any questions once more there is chat, the Q&A forums and my own ignorance should you throw a private message my way.

Try not to have too much fun.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Inception

Postby Ehati on July 1st, 2013, 9:15 pm

Okay, so I'm going to answer some questions here. I'm not an expert on Wind Reach, but I do understand a lot of what goes on there and has happened there. Of course, I can suggest taking a look at the lore article on the region, as it gives you most of the relevant information about the domain. Additionally, Fallon suggested the linkmap and that's also a good place to look. For miscellaneous locations and abandoned caves in Wind Reach and the Underground Forest, keep in mind that there is something of a map for the Underground Forest I saw somewhere, don't remember where but I can find it, and that there are quite a few empty warrens in Wind Reach to run around in since, thanks to the Djed Storm of 512, things collapsed and paths opened up for exploration.

Inarta would be born in Wind Reach's Infirmary.

Cultural information for Inarta is basically specified in the wiki article, as you pointed out. Basically, the higher the caste you are in the more important and powerful you are when it comes to dealing with lower castes. Don't kill birds, since there is racial stigma afforded to such a crime, and pull your own weight or be delegated to drudge. Hopefully you play an Inarta as specified in the lore and aren't shy or introverted. They are a naturally outspoken and passionate race not prone to taking abuse with a smiling face, if you catch my drift.

I don't know the specifications of magic, since naturally I dislike magic and have used it sparingly in my characters, so magic questions should probably be posed in the Q&A forum. However, you aren't considered much of anything if your skills are in the lower numbers, like five. You're a novice OOC and basically playing with fire IC and likely a danger to yourself and others nearby due to lack of awareness of your limits and powers. Books can only tell you so much, after all.

And finally, because I forgot what else I was going to address, my knowledge of Mizahar tells me that Mizahar itself is merely a supercontinent. Not quite Pangaea in size, but still pretty large. Of course, there is a distance chart in the works and in the end Mizahar might be far smaller than how large I think it is, like maybe the size of North America, but I don't know.

Hope my half answers worked for you.
Sera Ehati, 3rd Wing, Orange Company, 1st Regiment, Silver Quadron.
Ehati
Knighted by the Basilisk.

Words: 40220
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2013, 6:57 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Valedictory

Postby Valedict on July 1st, 2013, 9:41 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Valedict on July 23rd, 2013, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valedict
Player

Words: 2256
Joined roleplay: July 1st, 2013, 4:39 am

Inception

Postby Ehati on July 1st, 2013, 9:56 pm

You're welcome!
Sera Ehati, 3rd Wing, Orange Company, 1st Regiment, Silver Quadron.
Ehati
Knighted by the Basilisk.

Words: 40220
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2013, 6:57 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Inception

Postby Phoenix on July 1st, 2013, 10:03 pm

The Amalgamator,

Normally, I would welcome new players interested in my Region and my City with bright, cheery hellos, hugs, helpful bits of advice and the encouragement to PM me with any questions they may have, whatsoever.

However, upon the first reading of your introduction I was largely put off by your tone and the words you chose to describe how you feel about joining our site and the role it plays on your list of priorities. Obviously we don't expect anyone at all to put Mizahar at the top, but the scornful tone that you portrayed was largely insulting, even if it was indirect.

Now, I had my reply mostly written up and ready to post when you replied. Much more friendly this time, but I see you mention that you don't know how you came across as rude. To be completely honest, if you know how to write, then you know how to portray tone. If your introduction was as large a mistake as you claim, then apparently we really do have something here on Mizahar that you don't already possess and therefore something that you can take away from us as a whole.

By and large we are a friendly, helpful bunch that, trust me, aren't fearful of your writing capacity but rather the demeaning, elitist first impression you have burdened us with.

Unfortunately, Mizahar has a deep and complex set of lore that we have, over the course of many years, worked very hard to develop, write-up and post for player reference. There is a steep learning curve but it is, in my opinion, completely worth the time and effort put into reading the material. It's a major put-off to more than just a few individuals, but it really helps give a sense of the world that has been developed for almost four years now. Because of the large (and still growing) database of information, this allows you to submerge yourself in Mizahar and really ground your character. You say you wish to tell a story, and that is amazing and exactly what we are looking for. However, the best stories are the ones that impact and help change and further this world that we, as a community, have worked on building.

And that's the point. It's constantly growing and changing.

Now, I am the Regional Storyteller of Kalea and also the Domain Storyteller of Wind Reach specifically. I take special interest in this Introduction because, if you are as committed to telling a story as you claim, we will be working together. And that is where I begin to take the aforementioned insult from your tone and the conveyance of your personality.

Why? Because I am a volunteer. None of us are paid to be here, but instead we are spending our free time and energy to do all of this so that we may be here to help and provide for Players. I, myself, am a Player and I have my own characters as well. I take insult because I cannot bow and scrape to you, on your time schedule, as if I do not have one of my own.

If you take a look in the Wind Reach Forum, there is a whole Link Map of locations inside of Wind Reach and some of those without. A lot of your questions would be answered there. If, however, there isn't anything that fits your specific need, that's where the Storytellers come in, and thats where it becomes a shame that you have given me such a negative first impression. I would gladly help you further your story and give you such a long-forgotten tunnel or other plot devices. I would LOVE to help build a strong, deep, and active story arch within the City.

In your response to this thread, you changed your tone. That is hopeful and I am heartened by the difference from the first, but I decided to be honest in my response because it will save us all sorts of trouble in the long run.

So, long story short: If you can lose some of the superiority, you will work out great in here and I would love to discuss your concept with you Via PM. I can even help you out on minor details that might be hard to imply from the lore, or that are difficult to pick up on until you spend some time on the site.

The choice is yours!

(It's like, a Pokemon moment here. What starter will you choose?!)
Write on,
-Phoenix.
x
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Inception

Postby Verilian on July 1st, 2013, 10:14 pm

... *twitch* ...Welcome to Mizahar.

I will tell you now, your second post probably saved you from the wrath of more than one storyteller, myself included.. however, this:

1. I will refer to you as Sterba, until you create a new PC, or happen to change this PC's name, in which case I will refer to you by one of those. Or perhaps Tim. Or if I ever learn your real name, maybe that. Perhaps Roy is your real name? Or it is just some random name you have created.. but most likely, I will refer to you as Sterba since that is the name you will appear as on the forums.

2. I'm not certain what "Horse Island" is, but I am sure that while many of the people here might be mental, most of them possess a decent amount of mental capacity for writing, which is one of the reasons we are number one on the website you linked in point number 3.

3. Yay us!

4. As this is a roleplaying community, I warn you that dialogue is rather common, however, the bulk of most people's posts are description and action. Not a whole lot of poetry, but there is some of that here, and combat posts follow certain rules to keep them fair, so unfortunately turn based is a must, unless the results are agreed upon by all parties involved in advance, then you can make it more flowing.

5. Well... you can write about pretty much anything you want here, as long as it is within the bounds of the lore and rules, so if you like writing about pointless yet strangely specific stuff, I'm sure you can find something to write about. As a storyteller, I've graded many pointless threads.

6. Well, there was a sheer amount of effort put into creating Mizahar, so hopefully you will love it.

7. The IP thing is sadly necessary. While I don't know about this tracking stuff, I will tell you that we use it to keep Mizahar safe, and free of people who are here to spam, and do other harmful things.

8. Mizahar can take up as much or as little time as you want it to, however, if you are going to be a slow poster, I recommend warning the people you thread with in advance, that way they aren't waiting anxiously for your next post that may not come for days or weeks at a time.

9. Mizahar's world is very large, and it is quite likely there are other continents that have not been discovered yet. There are also other worlds out there.. however, the various regions are there to give us variety, without making things too complicated and requiring you to spend months and months on a boat. As it is, it already takes a long time to get from one city to another. We don't need more continents at the moment.

10. Writing and reading is what Mizahar is all about. As far as creating a background.. you just write it, and make sure it fits the lore, or do as many of us do and play out the major parts of your character's history in flashbacks. The only instance I have seen of someone forgetting their skills was when a player magically lost their memory. Nuit's and ghosts have to relearn their skills, though. In theory, your Nuit or Ghost may have lived a full mortal life before dying or becoming undead, but they only start the game with 50 skill points. The idea behind this is part traumatizing death, part learning in a new body, part they are a little insane, part whatever other reason. Skills you learn in flashbacks, however, do improve your skills in the present.. however, unless it is specially approved, I do not think you could say.. be a master reimancer who just happened to forget all but 15 points of Reimancy.

• Deks don't have living quarters. The other castes, except for endal, I believe just get very basic rooms, but they don't usually own those rooms, and others can take them. Endal get luxurious quarters in the aeries. There is more specific info in the lore and linkmap.
  • I suggest creating such a location, and submitting it here for approval.
  • I'm no expert on flux, but I think you could use it to draw a bow if you had the skill.
  • Technically, you are a mage if you know magic, but people will not likely refer to you as a mage look like one. Also, as I said, I'm not an expert on flux, but I'm not sure if it can be learned with books. If the lore says otherwise, go by the lore, but that might be something to ask in the Q/A.
  • Inarta commonly worship Priskil. They also know about Ivak, because he was recently freed from his prison. They know of Rak'keli. Eywaat. And probably a few others, but those are definitely some of the big ones. The main thing to know about Inarta culture is that they live in a caste system. Endal are on top, dek are on bottom. Higher ranks in the caste can boss lower ranks around. Also, Inarta are very proud and arrogant. They like to show off. And they almost all have red hair.
  • Yeah.. the wood thing, I'd just go by whatever the price list says. Occasionally a special item might be made out of a certain wood, such as the Vian tree on Mura, or something, but this would be specified in the items description and usually only gained as a quest reward or something like that.
  • Also, you are correct in that Inarta usually do not have last names. Endal will use their wind eagle's name as kind of a last name, but that's about it.

Finally, as Phoenix already said, if you are the writer you say you are, then you should be able to read your post and see where it is you came off as scornful. However, I would be happy to show you exactly what you did wrong, if you wish. I have done it before, but I just don't have the spare time right now. So.. that is all for now.

~V
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next