Zith/Flying Kelvic and flying skill points

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Irriari on August 6th, 2013, 3:26 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on zith getting experience for flying in their threads. Now, at first, when I created Irriari, I considered putting points into flying. I noticed there wasn't a skill write up yet, and then I fell in love with poison. Since then, the debate has been at the back of my mind ever since. Should zith get flying xp to differentiate novice fliers from expert ones? Should they get lore for complex maneuvers instead?

One of the key issues that always came up in my mind was... you can get experience for running and for riding a horse, why not flying? When I thought about it some more, I realized that in my eyes, flying was the more natural and preferred form of locomotion for zith. Humans don't get experience for walking, so shouldn't zith have an assumed level of mastery with flying? This doesn't mean they should be able to do absurd flips and things, of course... those are all lore things, in my head, but I was wondering what you all thought.

I look forward to hearing from everyone!

(Kit wisely pointed out that this topic applies to flying kelvic, so I wanted to add that as well, though I didn't touch on it too much in the body of the post).

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Jervis Hill on August 6th, 2013, 3:36 am

I don't know, in my opinion flying should be a skill as it can be used a far higher speeds than walking and I think there should be some skill level to it, I also agree with you however it would be something akin to walking as they all can do it so you should probably start with some free points in it like 10 or something
"They call me the wisest of all greeks because I alone admit, I know nothing." - Socrates [/size]
Jervis Hill
Pain in the Butt

Words: 89402
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on August 6th, 2013, 4:50 am

There is no debate really. Flying for a flying race is a given. We dont award swimming to Konti and Charoda. Its an inherant ability.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Jervis Hill on August 10th, 2013, 8:11 pm

but yet running is considered one and that is simply locomotion for humans and walking races isn't it? anyway not a flyer so doesn't really affect me just putting in my two cents on this point.
"They call me the wisest of all greeks because I alone admit, I know nothing." - Socrates [/size]
Jervis Hill
Pain in the Butt

Words: 89402
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Irriari on August 10th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Jervis, walking is locomotion for humans. Running is much more physically demanding. It's like walking++, if you want to think of it that way.

Konti are great swimmers, so they get free swimming.
Zith fly, free flying.
Human/Inarta/etc are great on two legs on land so they get free walking.

Everyone gets a free skill of sorts. Running isn't free to anyone.

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)