Closed {Zeltiva} A Familiar Face [Lavine]

Thayer's reunion with the friend she thought she lost...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

{Zeltiva} A Familiar Face [Lavine]

Postby Thayer on August 3rd, 2013, 7:52 pm

The sky was purple, maroon and tangerine all at the same time. Clouds were brewing in from the east side at a fast and jovial pace. Thayer stood below them, searching the ground for her lost silver Miza.

I knew I dropped it here somewhere,” she mumbled to herself as sudden leaves started to fall from the clouds above her. She gazed up, confused as to why such dead plants were falling from such an unusual object. Leaves fell from trees during the cold season of autumn, not from clouds during the warm weather Thayer felt kissing her face.

Suddenly as if reading her questioning thoughts, the leaves transformed themselves into large droplets of water. Inside these bulbs of liquid were small green specks that seemed to glow and pulse in rhythm to her beating heart. She watched one fall, noticing it land perfectly onto her missing, but now found, silver Miza. Thayer reached down to grab it when the raindrop starting sprouting thick, black vines that reached up and swallowed Thayer’s hand, consuming it in their strong, aching grasp.

A numbing sensation enveloped her wrist, spreading up the rest of her arm and through her trunk all the way to her toes until she felt high and falsely elated. It felt as though she had been drugged or poisoned with lazy gel, only it tickled her heart and filled her mind with empty, happy thoughts of relaxation. Soon, however, the dark vine started to crawl the rest of the way up her arm, licking her ulna, condemning vital organs and nerve endings along the way to closing in on her heart.

She felt sharp spikes of pain throbbing where once numbness had been. Presently, the vines had entwined themselves between her legs and around her torso, hugging her extremely tight. They twisted around her neck and squeezed her shoulders like a cobra did when it was trying to end it’s prey’s life for food.

The pain was excruciating by now, but a small smile was latched onto the Kelvic’s pale lips. She was accepting of the pain and the ugly truth that she was going to die.

Her peripheral vision was diminishing around the edges. She felt blood dripping down her chin and neck, and knew her ears, nose and mouth were the source of such un-natural fluids.

Time was cut short as the clouds stopped flowing at their jubilant speed and grew malevolent faces. Their mouths were pulled back to such extent that is was as if hooks were holding them in place behind their head. Their eyebrows were drawn down and their teeth were sharp and unwelcoming. Their laughter was maniacal as it’s dark melody sung nightmares into her now hollow skull.

Whispers entered the emptiness of her soul, sending shivers down her fractured spine, snapped from the suffocating grip of the black vines that had wrapped around her waist. The interpretations were muffled, by Thayer could make out some words.

“He hated me and hurt me.”

“He loved you which I was thankful for.”

“He abused and raped your mother and I, Thayer.”

The voice was soft, but recognisable. She could picture his smooth face, his noble, high cheekbones and his small, button nose that twitched when curious, shy or afraid. It was Toril’s voice that soothed her aching heart and thoughtless mind. She could visualize his crystal, Icelandic, blue eyes looking her up and down for injury or any sign of pain; she could make out his curly, black hair that swept in his face by even the gentlest of breeze. But these images, these words were being taken away by a dark figure, a looming silhouette shrouded by black fog and disease. It was her father and the words she had heard made her hate him even more now that she knew the truth.

“Hello there sweetie,” he cooed to her through the mask of vines and betrayal that held her grounded. The words he spoke were like needles poking into Thayer’s eyes. Tears brimmed the edges of her eyes, threatening to make themselves known if pushed too far. She didn’t know what to do; should she love him when Toril’s voice spoke of a terrible man? Her confusion was nauseating as her father stepped closer at an alarmingly quick pace.

“I’ve missed you” he sneered closing the rest of the gap between him and her. Should she tell Toril of what is happening if given the chance or keep this encounter all a big secret? Will her father release her from the terror of the vines that confined her?

“I have been worried sick about you, my dear. Has Toril been treating your fairly?” The mock in his voice was horror to her ears. What was to happen next?

Shadows squirmed from behind her father, trailing him in a less than dominant manner. Her father was the leader around here and he wanted it known to all who questioned his authority.

Thayer tried to release herself from the vines’ stunningly manacle-like grip, but she couldn’t budge and now the strange man was standing even closer to her, that she could feel his breath on her lips and eyes boring into hers. His grin was spreading so wide now, that it was spooky and abnormal. His eyes were yellow as if from virus or infection.

Sparing her the simple, quick death, he rummaged through his satanic mind for a more classic tactic. Settling for a slow, yet painful departure, he invited the shadows closer to his daughter, whom still struggled for safety or the freedom to move as she wished.

Air did not meet the Kelvic girl’s lungs for the longest time before she managed to realise that she was indeed choking. Thayer heaved up blood and bile, but oxygen was defiant on entering her windpipe. She coughed for air, but her father merely laughed at her every whim, a laugh so short and bellowing that it resembled more of a bark than not.

Images of her father and her when Thayer was younger flashed subconsciously through her near blank mind. Toril came into view when he was a young child as well, but her mother she couldn’t capture. She could hear her voice in her heart, but the facial recognition was blurry and dull.

Thayer continued to cough and heave, begging and pleading for air, but none would come.

“Sleep tight,” her father growled, his smile a frown of anguish and defeat rather than or pleasure and success. Thayer wondered why her father could be so cruel. She wondered why her mother or her brother hadn’t tried to stop his acts of abuse. She was confused on the thought that she was loved by her father, yet her mother nor her brother weren’t. Was it because she was younger? Was it because she was a young female and her mother had been outgrown? All of these unanswered questions made Thayer’s head throb. It was either that or the vines that tried to decapitate her or sever her into two.

“Sleep tight,” her father seethed once more as a blanket of darkness was cast upon her.

Thayer’s eyes fluttered open, finding that she was indeed still alive and breathing, laying on a sleeping mat, with a blanket thrown over her body, covering the wound she still felt throbbing on her shoulder.

Toril had been applying medicine and plants as well as washing out the injury with water ever since yesterday. She admired her brother, but with his words still in her mind, she couldn’t be sure to see him as the same, whether he took care of her or not.

Lavine was talking to Thayer, trying desperately to hide the quiver in her voice.

“I know it will be,” Thayer reassured her friend. Lavine quickly looked up at her with wide eyes, full of disbelief and confusion, but Thayer simply smiled back at her, eyes crinkling to show genuine happiness.

“I think I am strong enough to handle having my wound stitched up.” Thayer toyed with her blanket, using the arm that wasn’t hurt so she wouldn’t irritate it further. She racked her brain, trying to recover the meaning to her nightmare. Was it real, or all a big hoax? Should she tell Toril? Endless questions with only two different ways to go. She was stuck at a fork in the road and she knew which way to go.

“Can you go get Toril?"

Please Note: School has started up, therefore I will be incredibly busy with classes and homework. To all who I am roleplaying with, please expect a delay in replies!
New Note: I will be away for a couple months, so I will be inactive due to my travels out of country. Thanks to all!
Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Words: 144565
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2013, 11:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Lavine on August 6th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Lavine felt her brown eyes grow wide as she heard Thayer's words. It seemed so sudden. One moment, her eyes had been clamped tight and her brow damp as if caught in a nightmare. The next, her pale lips were bent into a smile and she was speaking full sentences. Lavine nodded mutely and leapt to her feet.

Joy soared through Lavine, bringing a skip to her step as she burst from the tent. Right now, it didn't matter if Toril had done it or she had. The only thing that mattered was Thayer's gruff voice, telling Lavine to fetch her brother.

Lavine nearly crashed into Toril, colliding with his arm as she steadied herself. She peered up, trying to make eye contact but all she could see was a mess of dark hair falling down one side of his face. With a shaking hand, she drew back the tangles, meeting his surprised gaze with her own beaming smile.

"It's Thayer! She's..." Lavine scrambled for the right words but none would come. At last, she simply tugged on his arm like an anxious child. "You have to see for yourself. It's amazing! She's speaking, and trying to sit up, and smiling."

Lavine continued to babble as they found themselves inside once more. The air was stuffy, it would have been wonderful to wait outside in the fresh air. There were some things more important than your own comfort though. She crouched beside Toril, tugging on his arm one last time. She caught a whiff of something pleasant rolling off of Toril, maybe a spice, but the rush in her mind plowed over the thought. She slid her hand down and gripped his large palm tightly, shaking it up and down. Lavine was unable to keep still. Excitement made her body shake, her teeth chatter, and her mouth run faster than she could think.

"See? Didn't I tell you? I told you. Do you think she's better? Can she stand? We should take her outside so she can breathe- it's hot it here!"

Lavine
Safety is merely an illusion

Words: 48336
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2013, 10:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Thayer on August 8th, 2013, 4:45 am

Toril had gone outside, trying to get some sort of fresh air. He was exhausted and ever had he been since the injury that had bestowed itself upon his sister. He had stayed up all last night, trying to make sure that his younger sibling and only true family was still breathing.

Thayer’s breathing had sped up during the long hours of the night, her restlessness causing her to wrestle with the blankets, indecisive about whether she was hot or cold. It was difficult to tell what she wanted, much like a newborn baby cried whenever it was either hungry, tired or needed its diaper changed. Toril was always by her side, making sure she knew that she wasn’t alone.

The story he had told her still remained fresh in his mind, haunting him in a delicate manner, making sure it pricked his hands, snapped his heart strings and tied his tongue. He was the one short of breath now, trying to calm himself by staring up at the sky.

What if he had killed his sister? What if he hadn’t been treating her well enough to save her life? The wound wasn’t a terrible one, but the medical supplies they had were very limited, and the money they had scrounged up overnight was in lack. If they ever needed special medical attention, there was no way they could afford it.

Toril slumped to the floor, tired, frustrated and frightened. Thoughts collided into one another, causing a mild migraine to erupt inside his mind. He had a basic idea about what he was doing in healing his sister with herbs, but he wasn’t a master at it. Lavine had done an excellent job at locating the correct herbs he had described to her, so he was proud and thankful for that.

Images, words and feelings charged through his veins as he thought about Lavine. Hearing her name was like a waterfall running off his tongue. The name had always reminded him of either raindrops, a ravine that separated harm from health, or a woodland environment with flora of all sorts of beauty. The name was enthralling to him and he loved to say it just to say it.

These weren’t his only feelings, however. Deep, down inside Toril had some sort of attraction to the girl. He knew that to like his sister’s best friend, especially when she was much younger than him was very inappropriate, but he had a hard time controlling his emotions around her. He felt alive and comfortable when in her presence and he liked it.

But Thayer was his sister, and she was his main priority. So, that thought being swirled around and around inside his head, Toril heaved himself up off the grassy ground and decided to go in to check up on her.

He about ran into Lavine in the process, her words flying out of her mouth in incoherent garbles. Their noses barely touched, which made Toril’s cheeks brighten in embarrassment. He couldn’t think like that!

“Hold on, Lavine,” he told her, hands out in a defensive position. “Calm down.”

She was talking about how Thayer had spoken to her, full sentences with actual meaning. None of her hallucinate gibberish that often occurred during one of her nightmares or dreams. She told him that she was strong enough to sit up in bed, that the tea and herbs worked, and that she was reading to see if she was able to withstand her wound being stitched up.

Toril smiled, a genuine grin that spread across his face, stretching from ear to ear. His teeth were small, yet perfectly straight and bright white. His nose twitched slightly in pure delight as he grabbed Lavine’s hand subconsciously and led her back into the tent.

“Thayer?” He asked her, questioning whether the words Lavine spoke were really truth or just mere fiction.

Thayer raised herself up in bed once again, looking over at her brother, her eyes like icicles darting in and out, surveying her brother, one of her own unique smiles casually plastered across her naturally pale lips.

“Yeah, Toril?” She inquired back at him. Her voice was still shushed and she still struggled to manage herself up in bed, but she had recovered greatly over the majority of a night.

He didn’t know what to say. He was relieved that his sister was still alive and progressing in recovery so rapidly. He was also proud of himself that he knew what he was doing and what plants were essential to her needs and not. He was glad that his sister didn’t end up with some amnesia epidemic or an amputated arm, and instead she was cocking her head to one side gently, her eyes trained on her brother’s crystal blue ones.

“Can I get fix already?” She joked, looking back and forth between Lavine and Toril. He was still holding Lavine’s hand, and Thayer noticed. He instantly dropped it, trying to act as though his conspicuous actions never happened. Instead he rushed over to the other side of her bed and kneeled down so that he was eye level with her.

“Sure thing,” he whispered to her loudly enough that Lavine could hear, seeing as how it was no real secret. “Lavine, could you go out into town and buy some fishing line and a sewing needle? Make sure that they are new and sterile. Then we can get our friend patched up again.”

He turned away from Lavine, his twinkling eyes brighter than ever before, as he looked down at his younger sister. “I will go out and find some more herbs and prepare some ointment and tea for you in the meantime.”

Thayer nodded her head, and looked back at Lavine and winked for no apparent reason. She was just so happy that she was feeling better whether he head still hurt and she felt light-headed.

“You better lie back down,” Toril suggested to her as he glanced in Lavine’s direction again. “I have a few golden Mizas in my backpack pocket for you to use. No need to pay me back.” His smile shortened into a playful grin, a little boy smirk as he got up and headed out of the tent, brushing past Lavine, his intent on hunting for some more useful herbs.

“I want my change back!” He called after his shoulder, chuckling in the process before he wasn’t visible through the thick branches and leaves that consumed him entirely.

Please Note: School has started up, therefore I will be incredibly busy with classes and homework. To all who I am roleplaying with, please expect a delay in replies!
New Note: I will be away for a couple months, so I will be inactive due to my travels out of country. Thanks to all!
Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Thayer on October 20th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Thayer’s eyes quickly snapped open from the sound of her brother’s voice. He was calling out to Lavine, whom was to trek into town in order to purchase some sewing thread and needle.

Thayer more than anything wanted to help out and stop being the victim in such a terrible situation. She had been hurt before and had walked it off; she could do it again if she needed to. Right now, she only had a few seconds to track Lavine down before she got too far away.

Wrestling with the blankets that shrouded her legs and waist, she heaved herself up off the bedroll. A wave of nausea overcame her as he head became light, screaming for the need of more rest and bedside manners.

Thayer simply put her hands up to her face to support it and waited not more than a few moments before she reached across her and grabbed an article of clothing (most likely Toril’s) from off the ground. She then weaved it under her arm and around her shoulder wound. Tying it in a knot so that it was secure and covered from potential ailment, she slowly stood and started to walk toward the tent exit.

She peeled back the flap and gazed out to see Toril walking in the opposite direction and into the forest, Lavine adjacent to his path, walking the other direction, heading for town.

“Lavine!” Thayer called out before rushing up to her Kelvic friend. She demanded for the coins Toril had just recently given to her, all the while explaining that she was strong enough and that she could do some more help around here.

This was true, albeit a little inspirational, for Thayer felt miserable in being the one to have to be taken care of. She hated attention and disliked feeling helpless and worthless. She needed to regain her feeling of individuality by completing such a simple task as going into town to purchase a few items to sew up her own arm.

Who knows? Her rebellious and reckless acts could potentially cause her to stitch up her own wound instead of letting her brother do it for her.

Thayer continued to explain to Lavine in a small voice, as not to cause her brother alarm, but seeming to be losing as her point lacked the path to get across, she decided to just steal the coins out from Lavine’s open hand.

“Thanks!” Thayer called back to her friend, leaving her with a look of awe plastered onto her face.

Trudging through the brush and the branches, Thayer kept her mind off the small, burning pain in her shoulder. She kept her gaze on whatever was just an arm’s length out in front of her. She wasn’t weak and needed her body to understand that.

But the same question kept crawling throughout her thoughts. Why did I have to be stabbed by a bandit in the first place? Why didn’t I stay with Lavine the entire time? Why did I put her in danger? Why wasn’t I strong enough to help her when she was in times of need and end up risking my own life in the process? Why was I so petching stupid?

But the most redundant statement that filtered through her brain was the most unnerving of all. I probably deserved it. I probably deserved the punishment I got. I deserved the wound I received on my shoulder and I deserve to be taken care of like I am a worthless and helpless pile of scat.

Thayer had to stop and breathe after that last thought. Am I? She questioned herself. Am I completely and utterly worthless? Why can’t I do things for myself? Why am I not special in anyway? What is my purpose in life gods?

She found her hands intertwining with one another as she closed her eyes and prayed for forgiveness for her unruly weakness and poor behavior. She apologized for her distasteful actions and misguided judgment.

“I will never disappoint you again,” she said to the sky. She didn’t know quite who she was talking to, but all that matter at that particular moment in time to her, was that her message got out and through the clouds to where ever the gods and goddesses of Mizahar were.

Continuing on her path, she emerged from the vegetation and was gently caressed with the welcoming smell of fresh bread, smell of salty sea air and the sounding call of sailors’ voices demanding customers stop by their vendors.

Hopping over the invisible line that marks the forest from the town, she jogged over to a small stand that looked reasonable and logical to ask of sewing thread and a needle.

The owner was a young man with brunette hair. His light green eyes twinkled admits the sun’s magnificent rays, casting shadows behind himself and Thayer.

“Do you have any sewing thread or needles?” Thayer asked him, scanning his vendor cart for anything useful. She hoped with all her heart that what he had wasn’t expensive. She only brought along with her a few copper mizas and even that was a small amount of money.

“Let, me, see,” he told her, pausing graciously at every word he spoke. He began to search under the cart for anything that resembled what Thayer had described, and pulled out some fishing wire and a big needle. A big needle.

Thayer grimaced, but gradually came to accept the size of it. The fishing line would have to work too.

“Is the fishing wire sanitary?” she asked him.

He nodded his head, saying that it has never before been used. Then, his questioning glare came to Thayer as a certain look of suspcioun. Just as she had predicted, he began to ask her what she was planning to use the fishing wire and the needle together.

Thayer, hesitantly overthinking her current situation, found it best to lie in a partial way as to not make her seem like an easy target. She didn’t want to cause any unnecessary trouble, and being her usual self, she wasn’t one to trust anyone.

“My brother has a wound and I am hoping to help stitch him up.”

“I do have a spool of thread. I think that will be safer,” he said to her, disappearing once more under the curtain of his cart. And out he came in an instant with a spool of thread in hand.

“Good,” Thayer said aloud, relieved at how much easier that was going to be to get out of her skin once her wound was all healed up. She wished that there were such things as dissolving thread so that you wouldn’t have to experience the pain of taking the stitches out.

“How much will this all be?” She cringed, bracing for the impact of the unaffordable price. However, she was soon relieved when the vending man gave her the simple answer of, “Not much over 8 cm.”

Slapping down all the copper mizas she had, she grabbed the spool of black thread and the very large needle and rretraced her steps as she raced up the mountain, the cold air stinging her eyes.

She had done it! She had won! She was doing something for herself, for her brother, for her friend. She wasn’t weak, and doing that simple deed right then and there proved it.

Sauntering up the last and final climb, she came face to face with her brother, who didn’t have a very pleasant expression latched onto his face. In fact, he was red in the face with his lip crooked upward in a strange position.

“Where have you been?” He nearly yelled at her.

“I-I-I went to get-“ she began to stutter out an explaination, holding out the thread and needle for Toril to see.

“You had me worried sick! Lavine came to me as quick as you left. I was just about to go out and get you when I saw you coming up that hill. You’re wounded, Thayer, you wouldn’t be up and about with a wound that hasn’t been properly stitched up yet. It’s only the second day since you got that wound.”

Placing his finger tips on his temples, Toril began to slowly lead his sibling back into the tent, where he told her to lay down and unwrap the article of clothing she had tied onto her shoulder.

“Thank you for getting them for me, I guess,” he said to her as he poured another small helping of water onto her wound.

The issue itself wasn’t that it was deep or infection, much that it wasn’t something that would turn out to heal correctly and Toril was sure that Thayer wouldn’t want to have a strange scar with random pieces of skin attached to weird places. At least, that is what he had seen from previous days in his childhood.

Toril began to grace the thread by spinning the spool around and around until a proper amount of thread was at his using. He then took the end and snipped it off with a sharp rock he had found whilst in the woods, all the while, preparing the needle for impact.

“Wait here,” he told Thayer with an authortive-like tone, one of which Thayer would roll her eyes at. But she didn’t, recently took afraid to move a muscle at her brother’s wrathful concern.

Toril quickly emersed the needle in a bucket full of water, one of which had been sitting utop the burning embers he had lit this morning.

“A sterile needle is the best kind of needle,” he told Thayer as he came back in.

“But the guy at the market place told me it already was clean. Never before used.”

Toril looked down at her through slit eyes of disbelief. “Don’t believe everything people tell you,” he told her, something Thayer would obligingly remember until the day she died. Such powerful words, she thought as she clenched her teeth.

Toril threaded the tip of the thread into the eye of the needle and set the tip of it on the edge of Thayer’s wound.

“Grasp Lavine’s hand,” he commanded, and without a second thought, Thayer snatched her friend’s hand right out from underneath her nose.

“This will hurt.”

“Just petching do it!”

Scewsh…

The sound it made was repulsive, but the feeling was terrible. A huge needle being stuck into your shoulder made Thayer bite her tongue, a thin trail of blood dribbling down her chin.

Toril couldn’t pay any attention as he continued to weave and poke through various places of equal distance, pulling the thread tight before tying it at the end and snipping away the excess thread.

After he was finished, he wiped his sister’s face with his sleeve and embraced her in a hug, large enough to fit a bear, considering Toril’s small size.

“Don’t ever scare me like that again, you hear?”

And Thayer nodded, for she wouldn’t, not whilst she was in her brother’s caring hands and watchful eye.

Secret :
Hello whoever grades this thread. Please note that my partner has not been actively responding to my messaging and posts since over two months, so I have come to the conclusion that I will briefly sum this thread up. I understand that it was first started in the beginning of March and I apologize for not ending it sooner, but if it is needed, I can simply put this specific thread as a Flashback. I hope that this is eligible for grading and I hope my ending it was acceptable. Thank you

Thayer
Darkness Binds All Fear

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 21st, 2013, 3:13 pm

XP Award!

Thayer:

XP Award:
  • +5 observation
  • +5 socialization
  • +3 rhetoric
  • +2 running

Lore:
  • Long Lost Friend found
  • Lavine: Parents passed
  • Savagery within

Notes: These are comments.

Levine:

XP Award:
  • +1 story telling
  • 5 observation
  • +5 socialization
  • +3 rhetoric
  • +1 detection
  • +3 Weapon :Kukri
  • +1 deception

Lore:
  • Long Lost Friend Found
  • Thayer: Homeless
  • Taking a life, or changing one.
Notes: These are comments.

Comments :
Thanks for the read. One thing I wanted to mention Lavine is that the transformation from Human to Kelvic and back is instantaneous. So no time is lost at all when one changes. Otherwise a good read. Feel free to pm me any concerns you have about the grades, and don’t forget to edit/delete your grade request. .

TAYLANI
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous