Flashback Shipping out

Dalarice gets his wish and learns a thing or two about presuasion

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Shipping out

Postby Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:14 am

25th of Summer 503
Rain fell in steady sheets but still the gulls and other sea birds wheeled through the humid air over Matthews’s bay. The port at Zeltiva was busy as it always was these days. There was plenty of cargo coming in and going out, both legal, and not so legal. Some of the most lucrative cargo was moved by Altros Velar. It most likely comes as no surprise that a large quantity of this was of the illegal category.

Altros would ship most anything to most anywhere. Morals were a thing for the weak and the poor he would say to his son, Dalaric and he would say it often. Dalaric was to be Altros successor and he had grand plans for his ascension into the “merchant” life. For as with most men they want their sons to do better than he had done. Altros was no exception he had a plan that would raise Dalaric to the top of the shipping world and it would happen soon it the boy would just focus his energies in the right direction rather his son liked it or not.

Looking for his son Altros sent men to the docks. They would find Dalaric there no doubt they always did. He was never in the right place however. Dalaric was much more interested in going to Sea himself then he was in getting his father’s cargo there. They had argued this for years now his son professing his desire to sail at the age of 6 like any dad he just went along with him thinking he would outgrow it. Seven years later he had not only, not outgrown it but it had grown much stronger to the point that they fought about it constantly. There was no way his son would become a crewmember on any ship, his or otherwise. He was after all a Velar.

Today he told himself would be different today his son would listen to reason he would give up these foolish thoughts and take the steps he needed to prepare to run the shipping business. If not then it was time to take steps and make other arrangements. His health was not as good as it had once been and there were deals to be made. There were a few men that he was pretty sure he could mold correctly and he knew they would jump at the chance. Altros was correct about one thing today would indeed be different. Just not in the way he was planning for.

Thirteen and still haven’t been on a crew” Jase poked Dal as he said it.” I am only a year older then you and have been to Sea six times already”. “What are you waiting for you old man to give you a ship, or can you not find a crew desperate enough to take you on?”Screw you Jase I will go when I want to go and there isn’t a thing he can do about it.” “I just haven’t found a ship good enough to crew on!” “I’m not surprised you have been that many times though.” No one would want to take you out a second time!” The two continued to taunt each other as they sat overlooking the busy dock. They were perched under the awning of one of Dal’s father’s warehouses. The rain still coming down it was a comfortable enough spot to waste away the afternoon.

“You know as well as I do I could get on a ship right now if I wanted to", pointing toward the far side of the docks and the ship that was tied up there.” Jase looking at where he was pointing shook his head. “You stay far away from that one you hear me? I heard tell of that ship and wouldn’t wish a spot on her crew to my worst enemy.” Dal elbowed Jase “you know those tales are just a bunch of shite, there hasn’t been a Pirate ship in these waters for longer then you and I have been alive combined.” “Yeah well that’s not what I heard you just stay away from that end of the docks.
Last edited by Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalaric
Player

Words: 12905
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2013, 1:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Shipping out

Postby Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:17 am

The two didn’t notice the two rough looking men that came out of the side door to the warehouse. They had spent the entire morning looking for Dalaric. When the boss gave an order you got it done. They were none too happy about having walked all over town just to find him back here where they had started out. They would have to make sure that they let him know how unhappy they were. He may be the boss son but lessons needed to be learned and they were just the ones to teach this lesson. The boss had given them orders today to take steps if he refused and they were looking forward to just that possibility. Coming up behind the boys the two tried to move quietly. Fortunately for the two boys they were not built for stealth and one of them tangled up in some discarded rigging and knocked over a pile of empty barrels.

Hearing a commotion behind him Dal turned to see two of his father’s goons coming up behind him. The noise of the busy docks combined with the rain had allowed them to sneak up on the two. If it hadn’t been for “graceful” they would have had him. Without a word the two boys bound to their feet and were gone in different directions. Not sure who was the target neither was willing to take chances. These two goons were well known to them and they were not about to get a beating for whatever they had done whether deserved or not.

The two boys scattered like spooked fish and were off running in different directions.” You dam clumsy whale brained fool now we got to chase him down again. If we lose him this is gonna come out of your hide not mine.” Taking off after Dalaric the two thugs tried their best to keep up. They were at a definite disadvantage but the rain had emptied the streets and there were few places the boy could hide in this part of the docks. Most of the ships had left already this late in the afternoon the only ships left were those that had damage or those that had stayed to late in the bars and brothels and were sleeping off the nights adventures.

Dalaric ran toward the water if he could get in among the ships there would be plenty of places to hide. He came around a sail shack and realized that there were only two ships on the docks one was his fathers and was undergoing repairs. No chance of hiding their two many of the crew would know both him and the oafs behind him. He wasn’t popular with his father’s men they didn’t trust the bosses son any more then he would in their shoes. That left only one option.

Sprinting for the other end of the dock he wound his way in and out of the piles of deserted and broken crates toward the ship at the far end. There would be plenty of places on that ship to hide. From where he was he could already see that there was not a soul in sight on deck or around the ship. Pounding across the dock he momentarily lost sight of his pursuers and went to his belly behind a crate almost to the ships gangway. Not moving he waited trying to catch his breath. He just knew they could hear him and were even now sneaking around the crate to pummel him for running.

The boy jumped to the dock and took off running. They followed as fast as they could but he was much faster. Not admitting they were not in fighting shape they told themselves it was his size and their larger more muscled frames could just not keep up that pace. He was running between the crates, and boxes left behind but there were not anyplace on the dock that he would be able to really hide. There were only the two ships. The one that belonged to the boss was under repair and the crew would rat him out in a faster then a beggar scooping a gold coin from the floor.

The other ship? No one, the boy included would be foolish enough to get close to that ship. A beating would be better than disappearing and ending up floating face down in the bay. And that was if you were lucky. That was a dark ship. No one was sure if it was a slave ship or a pirate ship. All they knew was to stay away from it. There were plenty that told stories of being shanghaied by that crew. None of the stories were firsthand accounts as those taken never came back. No way he would go there even he wasn’t that daft.
Last edited by Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalaric
Player

Character sheet

Shipping out

Postby Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:18 am

Running the length of the dock they lost him for a minute. Not wanting to run past him and allow him to get away behind them they stopped and went slowly trying to pick out his hiding spot. There were plenty of crates from one end of the dock to the other they would have to be cautious. Unfortunately for them, that wasn’t one of their strong points.

Having waited for what seemed hours Dal poked his head around the crate and looked back toward the two thugs. They were quite a ways away still taking time to check all the crates. He had to move and soon there was no place for him to go and they were checking enough that they would be unable to miss his hiding spot. There was only one option at this point. He turned to the quiet ship and looked once more for signs of life. Seeing none he gathered his courage and sprinted up the gangway when the two were looking behind crates out the line of sight. A shiver went down his back as he ran across the deserted deck he hoped Jase had been wrong about this ship.

The two thugs spent what seemed like hours scouring the dock from one end to the other no sign of the boy anywhere. He must have somehow slipped behind them and doubled back into town. The only other option was the ship that was no longer deserted and was preparing to cast off. If he had been foolish enough to go onto that ship his fate was sealed regardless of who his father was. No one including the boss would step onto that ship to look for him

Dal watched the two go up and down the dock looking for him he had hoped they would move on quickly. The longer he stayed on board the ship the more chance he would be noticed and then who knew what would happen. He had taken up hiding on the top deck where he was able to look down on them but they would be unable to see him without coming aboard the ship. After a short while he began to hear noises coming from below decks. The crew was stirring the two thugs however were still very much in the hunt. At this point he could see that they were more than a little upset. If they were to find him now he would be lucky to get a good beating. They would most likely do away with him and make sure he was never found. He was better off taking his chances here, at least so far all of the activity was below perhaps they would not come up here and he would still get the chance to get away before he was found.

And then again perhaps not… Staring across the deck Dal got the feeling he was not alone. His father’s men were still about so there was no chance of running down and off the ship. The only option was to stay where he was for a bit longer and hope that whoever was about would let him explain the situation. Turning his head slowly he found an old man sitting on a keg some fifteen feet behind him and to the right. There was no door way or hatch in sight that he could see that the man had come from.
Last edited by Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalaric
Player

Character sheet

Shipping out

Postby Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:22 am

Could he have been there all along and he not seen him? He decided that taking his chances with the thugs wasn’t such a bad idea after all and started to move. “You must be in a hurry to get a beating? Those fellows look to be ready to bite the heads of nails right about now. I think if I was you I would just sit put for a bit longer.” Turning back to the old man Dal was taken by the calm friendly tone in the man’s voice. “Just keep your head down I have a feeling they will lose interest soon enough.” Turning back to watch the two men he was unsure about what to do. The choice however was made for him as the hatchway on the lower deck opened and the crew poured out and swarmed over the ship, making ready to set sail. There was no chance of getting past all of them and off the ship.

The old timer sat forward and looked out toward the docks. “Hello there, what are you two looking for he said to the two men”. They looked at each other then back to him. “What’s it to you old man” replied one of them. “Nothing really” responded the man behind Dal.” I just figured I would try to save you a bit of trouble that’s all.” Dal was sure he was about to be turned in, there was no doubt his father would reward the man for his help. Worse yet was the fact that he was still not sure if that would be worse or better than staying on this strange ship.

The man continued talking. His voice was strong, sure and filled with confidence. “You must have lost something to be in such a bother to scour the entire length of the dock perhaps I have knowledge of what you seek.” They traded a look again the then in a more respectful tone “we are looking for a runt of a boy that is needed by his father. We have been looking for him all day and are at the end of our rope. If you know of his hiding spot you would be wise to tell us and be quick about it.” The man on the ship looked around the deck and stopped his gave on Dal. “I have seen plenty of men and boys from one end of this dock to the other all day long. I must say however I have not seen a runt of a boy that looked like the boy you two are looking for. I am aware of your employer and would not point you in the wrong direction unwarranted.”

The man on the dock nodded and turned to the man with him. “There you have it he got by us and headed back into the city. This guy has been watching the docks all day and would have seen him. It’s time we gave up and headed back. I am in need of a drink or three.” The man waved to the boat and yelled his thanks as they turned and headed back up the dock. Most likely to the nearest tavern Dal thought to himself. Turning back the man was still seated in the same spot.

He looked at Dal and held out a hand “well met lad the names Daniel, Most call me Dan some a few other names as well but Dan will do for now.” Dal stood up and crossed the deck toward the man. He hadn’t really noticed mush about the man before but now he thought he had been mistaken about the man’s age. He was grey of hair but he was not physically old as Dal had guessed. Maybe in his late 50s give or take. “Did you know those guys?”

“Nope never met them before why do you ask” Dal looked back at the retreating thugs. “They don’t listen to no one but my… their boss, how’d you get them to just give up like that?” “Hmmm well its really very simple, I told them what they wanted to hear.” He sat back down and continued. “You see people are for the most part all the same they have all got motivations and if you can figure out those motivations you can use them to direct their thoughts and even actions. All you have to do is convince them that what you want is really what they want.”
Last edited by Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalaric
Player

Character sheet

Shipping out

Postby Dalaric on August 12th, 2013, 12:25 am

Taking his hand Dal looked into his eyes. “I am Dlararic” he replied. “Dalaric said Dan that name sounds familiar might I know you from somewhere?”” I don’t think so replied Dal I haven’t been on this end of the dock before today”. “Hmmm I guess you may be right well in any case It’s nice to meet you Dal now why don’t you go get settled in with the crew. We will be shoving off soon.” The man’s eyes changed as Dal watched they went from the friendly trusting brown to a darker more serious color. They became hard and uncompromising. Dal started to respond but the grip on his hand tightened. “Boy I know you and have since I watched you run across the docks toward the ship. If I don’t miss my guess you will be much better off here then you would if you headed back to your Father. I will guess he is tired of your daydreams and has had about enough of paying his men to chase you around the town”.

I just happen to be in need of some help, well make that the crew and captain is in need of some help and you seem just the boy to fill the position.” Dal was both excited and terrified all at once. How was it that he had dropped into this opportunity on the very day that would likely be his last chance? His dad after today would not allow this to happen again. He would be forced into compliance or possibly much worse. He had seen his father’s temper, and had no illusions about what would happen. Family or not if he did not follow his orders he would not likely survive the encounter. But this ship everyone was so frightened by it, it didn’t have the smell of a slave ship and the crew looked normal enough they surely didn’t look like bloodthirsty killers.

Letting go of Dan’s hand he walked down the deck and took his place among the crew. Having been around ships for most of his childhood he was able to help out with no one needing to tell him what to do. As the ship pulled away from the dock he looked back toward town and wondered how it was he had come to this choice so easy. One minute he was scared and worried then he had listened to Dan and had decided that his place was indeed here on this crew. Perhaps there was something to what he had said about convincing people in that way. He would have to think on that, this was a skill that could come in handy.
Dalaric
Player

Character sheet

Shipping out

Postby Abstract on September 18th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Hey Dalaric! Sadly, I am unable to grade your thread right now... you have yet to update your ledger for the Fall season, and until then... I can't give you your grade! When you've fixed this, just PM me and I'll put it up. Thanks!
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)