Housing and possessions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Housing and possessions

Postby Vernadel on August 31st, 2013, 4:43 pm

I'm working on my character sheet for an Akvatari and I have a couple questions. First of all, it says the Akvatari don't really need shelter, so I don't need a house, but then I read that in many cities, you can't sleep on the streets. However, is sleeping on roofs allowed (since Akvatari can fly)? Or, should she sleep a little away from the city, or, since I will probably start her in a port city or one close to water, on a rock by the sea?

As for possessions...can my character carry a sack made from a tortoiseshell with a sling instead of a backpack with all of her possessions in it? That way, it will be somewhat waterproof when she goes swimming. What if she has a lot of possessions she made or collected from nature, such as jewelry, pebbles, pearls, feathers, etc.). Do those have to be deducted from her currency?

Just looking for some clarification, thanks.
Vernadel
Fluttering, Floating, Fashioning

Words: 39940
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:33 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Journal

Housing and possessions

Postby Alea Davenport on August 31st, 2013, 4:54 pm

Sleeping accommodations will be something you'll have to work out with local storytellers. Different cities are likely to have different rules, so PM the STs of the city you choose and ask them :)

I'm not sure what the rules would be for creative backpack-replacements... If you made the tortoise-shell your heirloom, that should definitely be fine. If you wanted to save your Heirloom for something else, then a moderator should probably be the one to say whether that's an acceptable change to the starting package or not.

If you want to have a bunch of knicknacks, I'd say the best way to get them would be to acquire them in flashbacks. If they do not have a lot of monetary value, you probably won't have much trouble getting a grader to award them to you if you acquire them in-thread. But anything you start with that you did not acquire from the starting package or in a thread does need to be deducted from your ledger, yes.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Housing and possessions

Postby Vernadel on September 1st, 2013, 1:11 am

Thanks, Alea, for your response. I was not going to make my tortoiseshell sack an heirloom, just a waterproof backpack. I will have to ask a moderator I guess.

Speaking of which city to start in...what would you suggest that is close enough to Abura to travel to but which is also a city near water? There are just so many places and descriptions, I'm having a difficult time trying to keep everything straight.
Vernadel
Fluttering, Floating, Fashioning

Words: 39940
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:33 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Journal

Housing and possessions

Postby Alea Davenport on September 1st, 2013, 1:39 am

Here is a Map of Mizahar for your reference.

Normally I'd recommend Ahnatep as the closest open city, but the desert region has been really inactive lately. Zeltiva's probably the next closest, and it's plenty active. If you're willing to go a little farther, Riverfall becomes a good option. Basically check the map and figure out which cities are open ^_^
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)