[Witty attention-seeking title here]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Postby Adam King on September 20th, 2012, 12:31 am

1. Name - or what you'd like to be called!

Dave's fine. Or the character's name, I guess?

2. What sort of RP experience do you have if any?

Fairly extensive, written, within MMOs and tabletop. Some over ten years?

3. How did you find us?

Quality roleplayer friends recommended it.

4. What sort of RP style is your favorite?

Psychological, I guess? Most of my influence coming from comic books, that type of drama, action and snark tend to tickle me best, though brutal realist writing is also always a pleasure.

5. What do you like to write about - not write about?

I like to delve into psychologies and inner universes, though the odd good action or romance scene can never be neglected.

6. Whats your favorite thing about Mizahar so far?

Hard to put my finger on it, but I guess the skill advancement system fascinates most right off the bat. Aside from that, Sunberthy anarchy-slum-town immediately caught my eye.

7. What, if anything, has frustrated you about Mizahar so far?

Give it time. A lot of reading needed to get here, and a lot more I'm sure will be needed from here on, but I'm a big boy, I can take it.

8. What would you like out of the Mizahar experience?

To not feel like I'm getting bogged down with having to write down boring advancement out of "powergamer" instinct. I intend to try my best and look hard for the ways in which to churn out fascinating plot while avoiding said gaming impulses.

9. Is there anything you'd like to see expanded?

Haven't been around long enough to say, but I assume one can never have too many Storytellers. The more Storytellers, the more custom and personalised it all feels.

10. Anything else you want to talk about?

Aaabooout.... The epistemology of belief?
That's always a great icebreaker!
Adam King
Mouth

Words: 34316
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2012, 10:56 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sodrel Frostfawn on September 20th, 2012, 12:36 am

Welcome to Mizahar, Adam. :)
Sodrel Frostfawn
Faith is a passionate intuition.

Words: 20510
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2012, 1:23 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cascade on September 21st, 2012, 8:49 am

Your title totally got my attention. :D

Welcome to Miz, Dave!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Torchlight on September 21st, 2012, 3:10 pm

Wow, I'm seeing an increasing number of people who found this place by referral, rather than google. That's wonderful.

Welcome to Mizahar, AdamDave! I'm so pleased that you're already interested in a city.

Your CS looks amazing! I can't wait to see you get started.
When it's pitch dark, remember that pitch is flammable.

Avatar image by Imaliea. Used with permission.
Torchlight
Let knowledge empower you.

Words: 52588
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Briar Holden on September 21st, 2012, 3:12 pm

Welcome-welcome, friend. :3

*rubs hands together and goes off to recruit more*
Briar Holden
Player

Words: 56198
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2012, 2:27 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Adam King on December 1st, 2013, 9:54 pm

Aaaand, back.
Adam King
Mouth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Quint Caravel on December 10th, 2013, 8:01 am

IF there's a Necro medal, I am totally nominating you.

But then again, this is your own thread. Most people talk about starting Mizahar, but for you, I have another question: why'd you stop?

I'm curious what happened in October 2012. I will share my own story as well.

I very briefly joined this site in-- I think it was September or October of 2009-- and I made an intro post and a first stab at a CS. Then I vanished before making any in-character posts, never to be seen again, ever, until 5 weeks ago when I was told about this site by someone.

For me, it was simply a matter of bad timing. The same day I joined here, I was visiting a site I used to play at, and I made the very terrible choice of going there instead of here. (Someone who was on both sites at the time played a King there and offered me a chance to be a lord Premier in his Court; it seemed like a tempting offer at the time.)

It really was a terrible choice, one I regret deeply, as I ended up not having a good time there, but because I was busy there, I never gave this place a try. Which is too bad; I would have thrived in Mizahar better back when it was still being built up as I'm better at big-picture brainstorming than at fleshing out someone else's ideas. I can see enjoying myself here as a player for a long time to come, but I see a place like Eyktol and I know that if only I had stayed here, I could have made it a thriving desert province, as I was once the RS of a thriving desert province.

Four years ago, had I stayed, that might have mattered, but now it's all ancient history, I haven't moderated or role-played much anywhere in a half a decade now. . . and I've lost touch with the people I once knew, and I'm not as creative as I once was. And so I expect it will be many months before I'm even an AS anywhere, as there is so much Lore written in these past four years that I'm still learning it. 5 weeks here, and I still feel like it's my first day, as I keep learning new IC facts and new (to me) OOC rules. It's fun, but it's keeping me on my toes.
Quint Caravel
Currently dreaming about you!

Words: 151579
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2013, 5:46 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ildiko on December 11th, 2013, 7:22 am

... If there was an upvote button, I'd nominate you both.

I'm about to ramble here a bit, because I'm imitating Quint because...reasons.

I peeked in at Mizahar about two years back, and fell in love with the story.
I plotted out a character.
Gave her a backstory.
Gave her a location. The whole she'bang.

But I never signed up. I didn't make any threads.
I didn't come back until earlier this week.

I think a trick to this is communication... we're not just roleplayers, we're people too. If I had known how cool people were here, and that it's not just a mechanical text-RPG game... I probably would have stayed.

It still feels like my first day, to me, and I think that once I focused on having fun with it and got out of my skillskillsskillsmusthaveskills mode, I've started to enjoy it here. My first day, I wanted to run away screaming. I'd read the lore -- I mean, all of it, I knew about the Djed storms and who was I was really overwhelmed.

But the more friends I make here, the less likely I am to disappear.

That being said! I'm PMing you, because I have some plans for Ildiko in Sun...berth? But not yet. Maybe in the spring.

Good luck. And uh. Life happens and all, but stick around this time if you can? Pleaaaase? At least, long enough for the new people to get to know you ;3

I'LL BE GONE FOR CHRISTMAS BREAK. I'll be back and posting more reliably around Jan.
Ildiko
Player

Words: 22013
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2013, 8:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Adam King on December 11th, 2013, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the replies, youse guys.

I can't say I regret not sticking to Miz' back then. Busy stuff was going on for me personally and with finishing up my masters degree. A big factor was that I had crafted Adam quite a bit, especially in my head, and that he was (and is) definetely a character intended to start off his written existance as a Sunberth-only character. Thusly, finding a Sunberth that at the time had few characters and slow-to-none storyteller attention not so much turned me off, but just didn't lock me in.

Being a limitation-breeds-creativity type, I can't solo for long, nor do I enjoy it that much. (If I am to write non-interactively, it's going to be something less RP-like, usually). The weight of the lore and the days it usually takes from having threading initiative to a thread becoming ongoing take some patience for me.

And hell, I can also be quite lazy at times.

Like Quint, I'd love to see where a 1-year-long-played Adam would have ended up today, but if I really mean that, I can see him in a year, can't I?

And yea, Ildiko's got the crux of it. The only thing that can keep a collaborative writing community together before the end is definetely the connections with other writers one builds, be they based on sympathy, respect or enjoyment.
Adam King
Mouth

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets