It's a Beautiful Day for a Test!

[Ignotus Everto]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Edreina on November 30th, 2013, 10:11 am

It was not that being told no was a foreign concept to the Svefra, only that it was an uncommon one. Yes, she was very accustomed to getting her way when and how she pleased. "And using a sword without any skill will leave be and those around me bleeding or dead!" She muttered darkly. "Even the best with the blade, and with magic, can screw up and end up injuring themselves and others." As if to prove her point, she subconsciously reached up to scratch the puckered surface of the scar on her shoulder. The question of how he knew she was leaving relatively soon did not remain in her mind for long; he had power and influence; it was only natural that he know. Words so acidic would have compromised any other, but Edreina was steadfast. If anything, his immediate refusal made her grow an inch taller and her blue eyes gain a new depth. Before, they had been all curiosity and excitement. Now, beneath all of that was the woman that Edreina was, not the girl that often claimed her body. Usually, only Razkar managed to see this pseudo warrior but Ignotus had woke her. Being denied with reason was one thing. Being denied out of fear of what may or may not come to pass was an entirely different breed of denial.

"Every single thing that anyone learns is dangerous when handled improperly. If I had been cocky when I first learned to swim, I would have drowned in an instant. If I had tried to sail beyond my ability, I would have broken myself and my ship on rocks. I do nothing that I think myself even mildly incapable of. When I ran into that building, it was because I knew in my soul that I could do what I needed to and had the will to pull out and not look back if I somehow failed." Two coppery brows arched for an instant a smile returning to her lips. "You said you discovered your ability to practice Reimancy on your own. Did you have a tutor to guide you through it immediately?" Without giving him a chance to speak, she plowed on, taking a half step towards the practitioner with little fear of the minute threat he may have seen. "Now that you've made me aware that such a magic exists, I cannot promise that I will not seek to learn it in the future. If I do, I may be initiated by someone with less skill than you, and I may be taught improperly as I was with Hypnotism." Did she even have to remind him how horrible a failure she had been before meeting him in that area? "Imagine the same, but with Reimancy. If it is as dangerous as you say, it would be best for me to spend the short time I have left learning from someone skilled enough and wise enough to instruct me properly." Part of it was bluffing, for Edreina doubted that she would trust many others enough to teach her Reimancy, especially not after Karin. But, not a single one of her bluffs shone in her eyes.

(c) Wanda Endust
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ignotus Everto on November 30th, 2013, 10:34 am

Perhaps it was the fact that, in his current body, Ignotus towered over Edreina. Perhaps it was the fact that he knew perfectly well what an untrained Reimancer was capable of. Whatever the reason, all that the Svefra managed to do was caused the wizard's eyes to flare.

"A poorly wielded blade won't whisper dark encouragement or cause its wielder to hallucinate is the difference!" he barked, "A ship won't steer itself towards rocks! You won't find someone that reckless to teach you Reimancy, because they're all either in an asylum, or in the dirt. I know; I nearly killed myself when I experimented with the magic, and I was a prodigy. It took years of formal schooling to learn to control it."

"I have been practicing Reimancy for more than sixty years." said the Nuit, his voice crackling with authority, "I know its risks and effects inside and out. And I will not," He made a sharp, chopping gesture with his arm to drive the point home, "initiate someone I am unable to keep a close eye on. Detaching pieces of your soul to transmute into fire is nothing like swimming. A swimmer doesn't risk permanent disfigurement or insanity for doing the breast-stroke too enthusiastically."

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Edreina on November 30th, 2013, 10:51 am

A chink in his armor appeared and Edreina could have done a dance right there and then. She knew enough about people to know when they were adding conditions to something and when they would absolutely not do it. Her own points had been made, there was no use in further attempting to bully her words home. She was shorter than him, younger than him, and less skilled in magic than him. The Svefra had no choice but to prove herself in another way now that she had set herself to learn this magic. "In case you didn't notice," her voice was so much stiller than before, like the air in the middle of a storm, "I risk dismemberment on a daily basis." Thinking about her scar made it itch, but she fought the urge to scratch it again. She spoke mainly to herself, looking down at the ground between their feet, but it was enough to expose her true intentions when it came to her desire to learn of this magic. So far, all she knew was to help her avoid trouble; she knew nothing of how to end it and assure the safety of those she cared about along with herself.

"You say that you will not initiate someone you cannot keep a close eye on... What if... What if I promised to return to Zeltiva as soon as my business in Sunberth reached an end? I will then stay until you feel I am adequately instructed. In the time I am away, you can monitor me by whatever magical means you possess." Surely, there were some in his arsenal. "But, I need you to initiate me before I leave. That way I can be assured that I will be returning for good reason. It will be an act of faith on your part in return for an act of fidelity in mine..." In her gut, she felt that this alone would not be enough to convince him. With a gentle sigh, she made a final offering. "I know it may not be much, but you are a resourceful fellow. I'm sure that you will find some way to make use of the debt I will owe you for teaching me this..." He would be teaching her a skill. It was only right that, somewhere, some day, some time, she reciprocate and help him in response.

(c) Wanda Endust
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 1st, 2013, 2:04 am

Ah! Success! Ignotus' features turned thoughtful now as he considered Edreina's proposal. With the Svefra under his watchful eye, the risks of her overgiving and turning herself into a crater were greatly reduced. Thus the main barrier between Edreina and Reimancy was removed. In addition, with her in Zeltiva and Razkar elsewhere, he would have a great deal more leverage over the Myrian should their meeting go sour... Or if he should get cold feet.

Finally, with the girl willingly indebting herself to him, and with the extra time spent in the city, the both of them (meaning him) could accomplish a great deal more. She didn't need to do so in order to learn Reimancy... But he wasn't about to refuse her. That would be rude! In short, the proposal would be doubly beneficial to him, and meant much less risk for her.

"Sunberth, you say?" the Nuit mused, a smile starting to come to his face. A tick later, he nodded and clapped his hands together, "Very well! You're quite fortunate: I too have an engagement in Sunberth. We can go together- though if your business is a long one, we might have to leave separately. Regardless, you've got a deal."

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on December 1st, 2013, 9:02 am

Desperately, she hoped that he did not see her cringe mentally. After all, her job was to make sure those that had risen against the government of Zeltiva made it out of the city and to Sunberth safely. Talk about playing both sides of the line. In this case, Ignotus was the line and she was both the fisherman and the fish. "My business and the trip I must take will be horribly prolonged. I know a man so busy cannot be tied up and away for so long..." Delicately she bit the inside of her lip. "But, I'm sure that we can meet in Sunberth and continue my tutelage."

Before he had time to back out, she set to making plans. "When shall we meet and where?"

(c) Wanda Endust
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 4th, 2013, 3:16 am

Oh petch, he did. Edreina would see Ignotus' brow furrow slightly, and his lips purse for a moment before he slapped a smile back onto his face. "Oh, we needn't worry overmuch. I'll have to leave Sunberth by the forty second or forty fifth, so I imagine it would be easier to meet at the docks then."
Really, the less time he spent in Sunberth, the better. There were few places he disliked more than that rat pit, and the sooner he could return to his cozy seat of power, the better.

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on March 24th, 2014, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Edreina on December 4th, 2013, 10:54 pm

"Well," she hesitated for an instant, head cocking to the side. "I haven't the slightest idea of when I'll be in Sunberth or the terms of my business there quite yet. But, I'm sure I will be able to find you while I'm there a few times. And then... I'll sail back with you, perhaps. Or, if my business will take longer, I'll return shortly after. Is that agreeable?"

(c) Wanda Endust
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 6th, 2013, 5:18 am

This answer just confused Ignotus further. A year ago, that would have caused him to maybe wonder if she was going to Sunberth for something shameful and left it at that. Now, however, it just made him want to know even more. It was a desire he would sate in Sunberth. For now, he'd put the evasive girl's fears to rest.

"Very well. Just do be sure to write."
And with that, Edreina's travel situation dodged a rather foul-smelling arrow. Now she simply had to get her illicit cargo where she wished it without arousing any more suspicions.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Eldritch on March 23rd, 2014, 10:07 pm

Edreina :
Skills
Bodybuilding +1
Hypnotism +1
Rhetoric +2
Persuasion +1

Lores
-Choosing to tell others to fix their own problems
-Ignotus: Ended the Denvali Coup
-Reimancy: Allows Ignotus to control the elements
-Promising Ignotus to return to Zeltiva

Ignotus :
Skills
Rhetoric +3

Lores
-Telling Edreina about your role in the coup
-Refusing to initiate Edreina
-Edreina's promise

Notes :
A nice thread, though in the future I'd like to see you both try to lengthen out your posts. Add in some details, make things a little more meaty because this was a little short even though it spanned three pages. ;)

If you have any comments/questions/concerns about your grade please PM me and we will work something out.

Keep on writing!
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous