Forum RP newbie

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Forum RP newbie

Postby Rilou Mae on December 29th, 2013, 9:38 am

I get a form to fill! This is good, I don't have to feel ambiguous.

1. Name - or what you'd like to be called!
I usually go by my screen name Rosa for when I start to have a lot of characters, but I'll also respond to any names that refer to my character names.

2. What sort of RP experience do you have if any?
I have been roleplaying in various Ultima Online RP servers since 2008, plus some RP MUDs, and I also write to their forums with my characters' behind-the-scene stories (or Flashbacks in the context of Mizahar). I'm an on-and-off casual player so my experience doesn't add up to several years literally, but I retain my interest in roleplaying and keep nosing around online RP communities every now and then.

3. How did you find us?
Mizahar is among the top results of Google search when I googled for "forum RP". I'm becoming increasingly busy and tired in real life that it's getting difficult for me to participate real time RP like in Ultima Online, so I wandered about an asynchronous option like forum RP, then low-and-behold Mizahar is right before my eyes!

4. What sort of RP style is your favorite?
Not quite sure what this question means by RP style, particularly in the context of forum RP. However I'll share what I think is relevant from my experience: in real time RP I tend to be the "wall flower" where I remain in a scene as an audience / observer, but if things are quiet I would fill up the silence with natural and mundane chatter / idle actions. When it comes to writing RP stories on the forum, I tend to write a lot of active dialogues if I'm not talking about feelings, and it is something I look forward to improve - writing reality / real scenes better and more creatively, as right now I only feel better with writing feelings and surreal scenes. These are more like my habit instead of favourite though, I'm open to learning any RP styles that I don't know about.

5. What do you like to write about - not write about?
I take great pleasure in describing feelings, absurd and surreal things. These include happiness, sadness, dreams, subconsciousness and thoughts. While it doesn't happen often, I also enjoy exploring the chances to write in riddles, myths and other creative ways of depicting a scene without being too boring, like a news report.

There isn't anything I don't like to write about, but I'm not as good at writing real things as mentioned earlier because I tend to write them like news report, like an action scenes (my god I suck at fighting scenes), describing something that actually happened, or anything "real" like that. When I find these writings of "real" things unavoidable in my story plan, I try to be creative about it and twist them into my favourite writing style of the unreal, but I would appreciate improvement on writing "real" things better.

6. Whats your favorite thing about Mizahar so far?
The rich details, and CHARACTER SHEETS! The integration of game mechanics makes Mizahar truly a writer's RPG, rather than just another writers' community. This structure encourages me to practice writing via game-play environment while letting me to have fun. Two birds in one stone.

7. What, if anything, has frustrated you about Mizahar so far?
The rich details can be in itself a frustration at the same time. Not only can it be overwhelming, it can be difficult to update and maintain as events are happening throughout the game world. For example I want to play a Charoda but it is only through Chat that I was told Charbosi is closed off at the moment, and Charoda has to seek else where as the starting city. I'm still looking for this else where, though the Chat has largely suggested me Zetiva so far.

8. What would you like out of the mizahar experience?
Writing practice through the element of fun! As someone who loves to play RPG and loves to write stories, Mizahar sets the perfect mix for my hobbies and I look forward to see how well it integrates both.

9. Is there anything you'd like to see expanded?
I don't want to see the lore expanded any further yet... Let me catch up first! XD

10. Anything else you want to talk about?
English is not my first language, so please correct loudly when I make any grammar mistakes. Grammar is one of my writing weaknesses. Suggestions of thesaurus and different ways to say the same thing are also greatly appreciated.

As mentioned before, I will be starting my first character as a Charoda. Looking forward to meet you all in-character!

Lastly, I work a stressful job in a very stressful city. Without keeping up with my hobbies I would have already ended up in the asylum. While I enjoy exploring creative ways to write and always seeking improvements, sometimes you might see me writing in sloppy manners, because I may be so stressed that I just want to relax and be casual with my writing. Thank you all for keeping Mizahar as a wonderful virtual world for the minds of rich imaginations (or just someone like me who thinks too much).
Rilou Mae
Player

Words: 2823
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2013, 2:52 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Charoda

Forum RP newbie

Postby Elysium on December 29th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Welcome to Mizahar!

First of all, we're very glad to have you with us. I too, adore writing realism. I think what makes this site remarkable is the overall synthesis of realism and surrealism. Here we combine real world issues with a larger-than-life setting to provide you a truly epic backdrop to set your stories against! Which is a fancy way of saying that you'll fit right in here, I think.

In the vein of shameless self-promotion, you'd be more than welcome in Lhavit. Charoda are treated very well and have plenty of opportunities throughout. We have a lot of friendly and talented players that would be more than happy to write with you, in case you're interested! Otherwise, Zeltiva is a good city and for that matter, so is Riverfall.

I hope you have a good time and if you have any questions at all, feel free to use our chat function, to message a moderator, to post in the questions and answers subforum and when all else fails, to post your query in the Help Desk. :)

Cheers!
Elysium
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rilou Mae on December 30th, 2013, 5:37 am

Hey Elysium, thank you for your warm welcome and congratulations on your promotion!

I'm still open to suggestions for my choice of starting city so I'll definitely give Lhavit a look. Thanks for that!
Rilou Mae
Player

Words: 2823
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2013, 2:52 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Charoda