Pyrography?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Pyrography?

Postby Vizayas on January 29th, 2014, 1:18 am

Is Pyrography available in Mizahar? The art form is fairly simple and primitive, accomplished with a metal point burned in fire. It can burn wood, bone, pottery, and leather to create artwork or writing.

Also, would Pyrography be it's own skill, or would that depend on what you used it for? Would you get experience in Writing & Caligraphy for drawing words in fonts with Pyrography? Would you get Painting for creating portraits/artwork with Pyrography?

From a Pyrography Article:

'Pyrography Tools
Practitioners of pyrography use a handheld heated tool for controlled burning to create artistic effects on materials such as wood, bone*, leather and gourds. When wood is the medium, the craft is alternatively called "wood burning." Lighter-colored woods with fine grains, such as beech and birch, are most commonly used. Experienced pyrographers may use woods with more pronounced grains, such as oak, and use their skill and artistic ability to incorporate the wood grain into the finished image.

Primitive pyrography can be accomplished simply, with a metal point that is heated in a fire.
'

*Edited the article to add bone, and snip unwanted modern references.

Pyrography also uses a variety of different kinds of heated tips to make darker, lighter, thinner or more solid lines.

Thanks.
ImageImageImage
Vizayas
Squire Mage

Words: 113870
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2014, 9:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Pyrography?

Postby Ollic Rimesage on January 29th, 2014, 3:05 am

Hello there, Hatchet.

Honestly, this is a very question, yet one I'm not completely certain about. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use a very hot metal point to burn designs into certain materials. However, it isn't a skill necessarily. You can always dive deeper in seeing if you can create a skill and get it accepted.

I see Pyrography to be a skill half in between blacksmithing and calligraphy, but again I'm not sure. This is a very wonderful idea and I think you should get a second look at this. Hopefully I somewhat helped. This "skill" raised some interesting ideas as well as questions for me.

But overall, no it is not a current skill, yet I think it is available in Mizahar. It sounds like it falls in the categories of blacksmithing and calligraphy. You wouldn't get painting because painting is defined as creating a piece of art work using paint and nothing else.

I encourage you to ask someone about seeing if Pyrography can become a skill if it doesn't fall under blacksmithing. It sounds awesome!

I am back from my time in recovery and I will be happy to pick up on the roleplaying I left for a while. It feels so good to be back and I am looking forward to expanding Ollic's experience!
Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Words: 212499
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2013, 11:48 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Pyrography?

Postby Vizayas on January 29th, 2014, 4:03 am

Thank you very much, Ollic.

I will proceed to call this Pyrography under my CS, and inquire which skill Pyrography would fall under if I cannot treat it as it's own skill. I think it can be a fairly interesting alternative to painting/carving when combined with Malediction, even supporting carving by burning the carved out words.
ImageImageImage
Vizayas
Squire Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Pyrography?

Postby Raien Ironarm Pitrius on January 29th, 2014, 4:04 am

Okay so, the thing is in Mizahar anything and everything can be a skill as long as it doesn't fall into the territory of another pre-defined skill. I'll attempt to answer your questions based on this premise.

Also, would Pyrography be it's own skill, or would that depend on what you used it for?

I think it could indeed be a skill, however it does blur some lines with other previous defined and fleshed out skills. However these similarities are rather subtle.

Would you get experience in Writing & Caligraphy for drawing words in fonts with Pyrography?

A lot of the time when you use a certain skill in Mizahar it relies on another skill. And thus you gain points in both. However, I do not believe they would be the same skill and thus you could be a master in "Pyrography" and know nothing about calligraphy. As such you couldn't make calligraphic letters. Still, sticking with your original question yes I do believe if you use calligraphic fonts while doing "Pyrography" you would gain experience in it. The same goes for drawing.

Would you get Painting for creating portraits/artwork with Pyrography?

Now here's the thing. I think at best you'd get drawing. I do this in real life from time to time and its not like painting really at all. Its akin to drawing, and even then drawing is rather difficult just because wood is not like paper. Still possible just not easy, painting on the other hand doesn't really fit. So no, I do not think you'd gain experience points in painting for "drawing" on wood with wood burning.

Conclusion:
If you want to use it you should ask about having it fleshed out and put on the skill list. Or fleshing it out yourself and having it approved. Just make sure you go through the proper channels if you decide to do it. I like the idea and think it could be a nice addition to the game.
Raien Ironarm Pitrius
Blackarm the Strong

Words: 109742
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Pyrography?

Postby Ollic Rimesage on January 29th, 2014, 4:28 am

I'm glad I could help and thank you Raien for coming into the conversation. You had some good thoughts as well. It's always good to get a second opinion on things.

I do have a few things to add, however. I will start with the determination between a skill and a lore. You will probably get a few lores relative to the topic of pyrography- many in fact. But with skills, until it has been specifically identified, your metal 'burning into fabric' idea will have to fall under blacksmithing or calligraphy/drawing.

Like Raien said, you could get skill points in both areas (which I personally think is cooler than one skill point under pyrography if there was such a thing).

I am back from my time in recovery and I will be happy to pick up on the roleplaying I left for a while. It feels so good to be back and I am looking forward to expanding Ollic's experience!
Ollic Rimesage
A Problematic Doctor

Words: 212499
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2013, 11:48 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Pyrography?

Postby Gossamer on January 29th, 2014, 7:38 am

Its not a Mizahar skill. If anything its a technique lore for drawing writing design decorating etc. You would need other skills to use it.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Pyrography?

Postby Vizayas on January 29th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Very well, I will utilize Blacksmithing and begin with the lore for it.
ImageImageImage
Vizayas
Squire Mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes