Kelvic Character & Other Qs

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Fantasy on February 9th, 2014, 7:48 pm

In terms of Kalina ' lifestyle no she may not getting vaccines and what not but you forget that in some ways Miz is ahead even in terms of " our world" (healing Gnosis, and godly intervention for example) and her life may be cut shorter due to it. How ever that isn't actual "lifespan" rather than outside forces.

Kalina could live to 20 years as easily as a human. But outside forces would affect her lifespan. However in actual terms of aging she of course won't age faster. So really it does all come down to the fact a kelvic could very well live a "human" like life in a city. They are simply not just animals that turn human that require special medicine. In fact the lore states exactly that. Most medicine Miz does have the same effect on them as humans.

It really does just come down to life style to lifespan.
Fantasy
Retired Staff

Words: 17109
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 1:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Reven Heath on February 12th, 2014, 2:17 am

Hello All!

I have another question! :)

I want to build my character's skill in leather working, however I'm running into a few issues when doing some research online. The process of tanning skin uses some kind of chemical compound. Does anyone know what compound that might be in Mizahar? Tannin? If not, is there a place I could take the hides to have processed and tanned somewhere in Riverfall?
Last edited by Reven Heath on February 13th, 2014, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Words: 213556
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 2:26 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Elsa Marin on February 12th, 2014, 2:44 am

Look into urine. I hear urine is a thing.
now while he stands tough
notice that this man did not have his hands up
Elsa Marin
Player

Words: 36964
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Colt on February 12th, 2014, 2:50 am

Unless a place is unusually advanced, I don't believe they would use any special chemicals. The "primitive" method of tanning hides is usually with brains, preferably the brains of the animal that has been slain. The process consists of boiling the brain, making it into a paste, smearing it over the cleaned skin multiple times and the letting it sit for awhile. Strangely enough, every animal has exactly enough brains to tan its own hide.

Also, I don't think urine is used in the actual tanning process. However, urine does provide ammonia, and has been traditionally used to bleach hides and can make them a very beautiful white if used properly, but that's a more advanced technique.

I'd also like to point out that tanning and leatherworking, although intertwined and very important to one another, are innately different skills. Leatherworking is using material that is already where you want it and then shaping it into what you want, while tanning is the process of getting the leather to that point of useability.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Reven Heath on February 12th, 2014, 2:59 am

Thank you both for your responses! :)

Shahar, when I was looking into tanning and leather working, I was thinking the exact same thing. In the skill list however, it leaves the leather working skill very open to what is actually involved in it. Thank you so much for the information! I'll be sure to utilize it in the future. :)
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Reven Heath on February 13th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Hi there guys! Me again. :)

I'm about to jump into this skinning/tanning/leather working stuff and I heard that you're not allowed to do any of that within the city? Or at least, not the tanning part. I know in Riverfall, they have a butcher shop in the city so that the meat can get cut up but as for tanning leather and stretching it, does that have to be done outside of the city? And if so, does anyone have a location that will be "safe" to do that at?
Reven Heath
Happy memories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fantasy on February 14th, 2014, 3:02 am

The Stained Pelt is a place that works with pelts, but I am not sure they actually can let you do the work there.
X

Fantasy
Retired Staff

Words: 17109
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 1:28 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous