Some general questions... ahem.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ander Jibs on May 4th, 2014, 8:09 pm

I got too ambitious. I wanted to carve out my own empire in Mizahar and conquer Syliras with my very own army. But it was not a realistic goal. Lol. I estimated that it would take me about 300,000 gold mizas PER DAY in order to maintain an army of 6,200 soldiers. And even then, there would be no guarantee that I will win the war.

So I opted for a more realistic goal.

I will start a bandit enterprise, and these are my questions about it and about the game in general.

• My main fighting style is wielding a short-sword in one hand, with nothing on the other hand. No shield and no dual-wielding. Just one-handed short-sword fighting. I'd like to know what I will be capable of once I reach mastery of my short-sword. Once I reach mastery level, will I be able to thwart off at least two competent katana-wielders in a fair fight?
• Is having competent level in leadership enough for me to lead an army of five player-characters and be able to act charismatic? How many men will I be able to handle at master level?
• Do I have to buy a cage with a nest for my female chickens in order to start collecting eggs? Or is it automatically assumed that once I buy my female chickens, they are already in a cage and therefore I don't need to buy the cage?
• Can we train our controllable, NPC slaves certain skills? How does that work?
• What constitutes “Wilderness Survival?” I don't want to be an expert hunter or someone who's an expert at leaving a trail of bread crumbs in order to not get lost in the woods. All I wanna be doing outside of cities is traveling with my saddlepacked donkey and defend myself against marauding animals with my sword. Do I still need Wilderness Survival?
• As a bandit, I will be raiding merchant caravans for a living. How well-defended is the typical merchant caravan? Like, how many trained swordsmen will it have?
• What and how much do I get from successfully raiding the typical merchant caravan?
• What's the maximum amount of caravans am I allowed to raid in the game per season without being considered a hog?
• Can I claim a plot of land outside of Syliras with my group of bandits and freely call it our own? Or is every square-inch of land within the island of Sylira officially a property of the Sylira government until officially bought?
• If such was the case that the answers to the last questions are No and Yes, are there at least remote areas within less than 50 miles outside of Syliras that are very rarely, if ever, checked by Syliran knights for illegal squatters?
• Are jobs for competent-level weapon-wielders hard to come by? It's like this, I have a short-sword. After training for a bit and reaching competent-level with my short-sword (I'm a novice right now), will there be a job out there for me? Or will it be a rare case?
• I plan on mastering both my bodybuilding skill and short sword skill. Once I master them, will it be feasible for me to have such a powerful stab (due to extreme technique and strength.) that should I stab a bronze cuirass with my iron short sword, it will actually penetrate it? How about stabbing a tree trunk and penetrating it deeply?
• Is there a chess-set in the Price List? BRB, gonna double-check...

I may have more questions, believe it or not. I'll add them in this thread if I do.
Ander Jibs
Player

Words: 21741
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2014, 1:20 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Darkalin Pinewood on May 4th, 2014, 8:42 pm

I believe that for the caravan questions, it depends on how much money the merchant has. If he/she has a lot of money, he/she will have more guards, but the rewards will be better.
"This is Common"
This is thoughts.
"This is Symenos"
This is Writing
Darkalin Pinewood
Player

Words: 17152
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2014, 12:20 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ander Jibs on May 4th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Thanks Darkalin.
Ander Jibs
Player

Words: 21741
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2014, 1:20 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Darkalin Pinewood on May 4th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Your welcome. According to the lore, if you master bodybuilding and Short sword, you should be able to do both those things.
"This is Common"
This is thoughts.
"This is Symenos"
This is Writing
Darkalin Pinewood
Player

Words: 17152
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2014, 12:20 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Radiant on May 5th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Hi, Ander. :)

An important pre-note: As a Starting character, it's better and very much recommended to start small and make your way to BIGGER goals.

This is no laughing matter, if you are a starting character and started speaking about conquering a city, creating empire, killing a God, etc, you will, undoubtedly and definitely, find eyebrows raised and people chuckling at you because big goals without anything to back it up (Skills, resources, allies, etc) are just that, empty talk.

Keep in mind what I told you, now I shall proceed to answer your questions.

1. It's hard to answer this as there are endless circumstances in which a fight could go on.

Now if we are talking purely about combat skill, one-on-one, fair fight, no gnosis, no magic, no poison, then yes, a Master can beat multiple Competent opponents, no matter what their weapon is.

2. Yes, you can do that. Please read the Leadership skill lore page.

3. You have to buy the cage, check out the Price List for details.

4. Yes, your slaves would be Companion-type NPC.

5. Wilderness Survival is the skill to survive in the wild WITHOUT the comforts of civilization, meaning you are on your own, no caravan, no supplies, etc.

Mizahar Wilderness is VERY dangerous, and you will NOT survive living completely in the wild as a Starting Character, you don't have Master Wilderness Survival, Phylonura Gnosis, or being a Ghost. You have other things to worry about other than animals, there Monster ruling about.

6. It depends, some are more well-guarded than others.

7. Again, it depends, to avoid players hogging income, skirting the Income rule, you won't get much from self-modded threads, you will get your wages, considered as "Mercenary (Basic/Advanced)", every season.

8. No, nope, Knights will be coming for you and hunt you all down. Knighthood own all of the property and they don't tolerate criminals, especially bandits and slavers, they are killed on sight.

9. Highly Unlikely, Knights patron in and around Syliras, especiallyt the Kabrin Road where merchant caravans travel.

10. Of course, there are many jobs that requires combat skills "Guard", "Mercenary", "Knight", among many others, check out the Occupation list for details.

10. When and If you master them, yes, you are able to do that. Master-level PCs are supposed to be strong and powerful.

11. I don't think so.

And also, a warning, to prevent any future misunderstandings between us.

Warning: Syliras is the most safest city in Mizahar and the Syliran Knights does NOT tolerate criminals and bandits.

You should realize that being a bandit near Syliras makes you OPEN to attack and crack-down from Knight PCs. You have been forewarned.

Sunberth is a much, much, better place for you to be a bandit leader.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)