Flashback [Guest ST] Echo of Memory

Rayage finds himself in the heat of Sunberth.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Guest ST] Echo of Memory

Postby Aoren on June 6th, 2014, 10:29 pm

16th of Summer, 504 AV
10th Bell

The quiet solitude of The Majestic weighed down upon its sole occupant at that moment in time. Such was the nature of working for a paranoid mage firmly rooted in the belief that at any moment he could be hung. So, only Rayage and the occasional customer were to be found within the confines of the shop. And that day? There wasn’t a customer in sight. The blistering heat of the summer day certainly made the outdoors uncomfortable. It made the indoors even more uncomfortable especially considering the delicate state of an undead who constantly had to stave off the effects of decay.

The silence encroaching upon the shop was interrupted only when the door opened and a customer entered. He was a fairly average looking young man with a thin frame, sun tanned skin, brown hair and warm brown eyes. He stepped into the shop taking a tentative look around.

Hello? Is anyone here? I was told I could visit this shop if I was in need of a particular brand of poison?” The young man stepped further into the shop his eyes settling upon Rayage. Whether he realized that the ancient Nuit was indeed, a Nuit remained to be seen. His face broke out into a calm smile.

Hello there, I was told that I could come to this shop in search of specific poisons. Do you think you could help me?” The young man shifted a satchel over his hip. The sound of clinking glass and the shift of metal items could be heard ringing lightly in the air. He held the air of someone who was possessed of a more sophisticated knowledge than the run of the mill ruffian that trudged the streets of Sunberth. His clothing was average in appearance, a plain white shirt, brown pants tucked into tall brown boots. He wore a pair of brown leather gloves that were of obviously finer make than could be found by someone not at least moderately well to do.

Are you Master Doler? I was told this was his shop and that he was the resident expert in potions and poisons.” Obviously not a native of Sunberth. Anyone from the city would know that the paranoid wizard known as "Bashful" Doler almost never met people face to face. It was a miracle he managed to keep a shop going at all. The young man looked over Rayage then slightly around him as if looking to see if there was anyone else around.

Doler, the proprietor of The Majestic was no doubt holed up in his room safely behind his Shields. Even if the young man had specifically asked for him the likelihood of Doler actually coming out to greet him was slim to none. Doler barely even spoke to Rayage. No, Rayage would be left to deal with this customer and simply relay the information regarding him back to the owner of the establishment. The young man looked at Rayage expectantly. Several questions had yet to be answered. Who was this young man? Why did he come searching for poisons?

The last thing anyone would want is for an unknown patron to suddenly go into Sunberth and poison an innocent bystander. That would no doubt bring no end of wrath down upon the wizard Doler and anyone associated with him. Sunberthian’s didn’t trust mages enough as it was.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on June 6th, 2014, 11:09 pm

The small and dirty establishment festered in the summer heat, just like Rayage. Since he wasn’t allowed in the room with Doler, as his very entrance was shielded against the nuit waited patiently in the joining room. Nothing but cobwebs and filth to accompany him, in an attempt to pass time, as Doler doesn’t have many customers, the nuit had set himself to cleaning the small room. A small broom was in hand, batting away at the cobwebs which littered the room, thick sheets of dust coming up with the webs tainted the early morning light coming through the open frame where a door was supposed to be.

The shop specialized in poison of all different types, made by Doler himself. Everything, literally, was kept in room that the owner had hid himself away in. So when a customer walked in and started to address Rayage the nuit placed the broom down and listened politely to the man. One of the first things the nuit noticed is the way the other shifted, he seemed uncomfortable in asking these questions, apprehensive even. Though it just may be Ray overanalyzing everything as he tended to do…

The nuit was garbed in old looking clothes, a plain ‘white’ shirt and some breeches, over which settled a ‘mostly black cloak’ with patches sewed in here and there adding a variety of color only adding to the ancient and unkempt appearance of the nuit. The cloak looked like it was falling apart at the seams, but it was all held together by the patchwork of material filling in the holes that time made in it. The cloak was used as an aid to hide most of the rot from view.

Taking in the situation the nuit nodded, ”I am not Master Doler.” Rayage smiled, such formality for someone just seeking poison. The title was a bit over the top for Sunberth, and most people would never attach such titles here. This was a free place, where everyone, for the most part, was free to do as they wished with. Though freedom does come at a price, that of social decay. Hardly any formalities, Lord, Lady, Master, Mistress were muttered here. In their stead were curses such as ‘Petching’.

”However, I can assist you in gaining the poison you need.” Rayage reassured the man, ”Just what are you looking for?” the nuit inquired, taking a moment to further look over the man, eyes locking onto his target.

The trade of poisons and death was a great motivator, a great catalyst for change. It was one of the reasons Ray didn’t mind working here. It allowed him to see the world from a different perspective. One not so attached to life, but to death. Both life and death could change the world, and Ray had only yet dipped his feet into this topic. It has been, so far, quite an interesting study. One of the most fascinating topics being the reasons ‘why’. Though such a subject is best avoided, as ‘why’ doesn’t matter nearly as much as ‘how’ or what happens next, it was still interesting to gain perspective as to the motives. However, Ray wasn’t the type to just come out and ask. He would wait for the opportunity, and closely observe.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aoren on June 8th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Ah, do forgive me. I thought I’d specified.” He gave a light chuckle before gently thumping his forehead with the heel of his palm.

I can be so forgetful sometimes.” Opening his satchel he rummaged about in it for a few moments before withdrawing a piece of folded parchment. He unfolded it then squinted as he read the contents. Though he didn’t voice what items were on the paper he scanned the page before giving an affirmative nod then returned the parchment to his satchel.

I am in need of a very special type of poison. You see there are some people suffering of a debilitating illness in the Tent City. It causes rigidity in the muscles, stiffening of the bones to the point where the body locks down so much there is a risk of breakage.” The young man frowned at that. He was obviously very disturbed by the notion of someone who’s muscles became so stiff and rigid that it caused the breaking of bones. He gave a slight shiver before adjusting the strap of his satchel.

I have never encountered a disease like this. It’s terrifying. I’ve had to quarantine at least five people who had come down with it.” He shook his head a sad look crossing his features as he thought about the fate of those unfortunate individuals. Stepping up to the counter he rest his hands on the surface.

Oh! Yes! The poison. Right. I am looking for some type of poison or potion that can relax the muscles and loosen the joints for several hours without causing long-term damage to the patient. My chief concerns in using such a thing are sensory and tissue damage.” The young man in front of Rayage seemed to be of a slightly disjointed frame of mind. It was a wonder he was treating patients at all but there had in fact been rumors of an illness going around certain parts of the Tent City. Thus it was quite possible that he was indeed one of the physicians or Healers summoned to treat it.

I would have tried making a remedy myself but all of the basic treatments that I have tried haven’t been of much use.” Although he didn’t specify exactly what those methods were it was easy to presume he’d tried a few herbal remedies. There were a number of tonics and poultices that aided in the treatment of stiffening muscles or small joint pain. From what the young man had described though such remedies would be laughably useless in the face of this more serious disease.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rayage on June 15th, 2014, 3:38 am

The mans mannerisms were unusual. Normally the nuit was friendly with those who came to purchase wares, as the shop did not get many customers. His masters potions and poisons couldn’t be bought with gold after all. They did not deal with gold in this place, but with favors, and so the nuit smiled, ”I am sure such a poison could be acquire, but” the nuit gestured around the small and empty room, ”all the wares are sadly out of reach.”

”I am sure Doler has something to the effect which you desire, but you are aware that we do not accept gold here.” Rayage said, looking at him dead in the eyes with a sadistic smile, ”You cannot buy our wares with trivial things such as physical wealth. It was gold that Doler desired I am sure he wouldn’t be here. No, instead, we require something else, a service, that can be useful to Doler. What can you do for us so we can give you the poison you desire?”

The nuit said all that without a hint of regret. In fact, he could be enjoying himself, ”Someone like you seems unreliable.” The wizard quipped, ”Forgetful, shady. How am I to be sure that this is your true purpose?” The nuit laughed, ”Not I really care what you some muscle relaxing poison for. It could surly be used for more devious endeavors, and such a pure soul as yourself really shouldn’t exist in a city such as this. We look out for ourselves first and foremost. This is Sunberth. Are you sure that you are not lost?”

The nuit had adapted a mocking sort of tone to his voice as he talked with the potential customer. Rayage was suspicious of the individual and he made sure that he was known to be that way. The stranger couldn’t come up with a better story? The nuit laughed to himself a cold and dead laugh as his head span with thoughts.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aoren on June 19th, 2014, 8:19 pm

The young man’s friendly demeanor slowly evaporated the more Rayage spoke. It was obvious he didn’t like being spoken to in such a manner and he didn’t like his motives being questioned. Adjusting his satchel he fixed Rayage with a stern glare before speaking.

I can keep this city from becoming a graveyard. That’s what I can do. Don’t believe me? Come with me to the Tent City and see for yourself what’s happening there? Then you’ll understand why even in such a lawless place as this my services are needed.” He shrugged his shoulders studying the Nuit for a few moments.

If that’s not enough though maybe this will do…” Reaching around his neck the young man fished for something beneath the collar of his shirt. After a moment he withdrew a chain upon which dangled a locket. The chain itself was silver while the locket that dangled from it was fashioned from gold. Though faded and slightly aged in appearance the design was no less intricate. The young man extended it to Rayage resting the locket in the center of his palm. He inclined his head toward it.

This, was given to me after a service I performed. The woman who gave it to me said that it had the power to “awaken what was lost”. I don’t entirely know what that means but…I believe her.” The locket, while simple in appearance, was strikingly familiar to Rayage. It called to him. The grain of the markings upon the surface of the gold, the signs of its age, told a story simply waiting to be uncovered. And then it happened…

The warm summer breeze danced across his face. All around him the garden was filled with life. It blossomed everywhere but all of it paled in comparison to her. She was dancing. The rose colored gown that draped across her figure accentuated the beautifully pale luster of her skin. She shined like moonlight and her laughter rang like silver bells. She ceased her twirling. Her long hair flowing about her face in the wind, glowing with the myriad of colors found amid autumn leaves. She smiled at him quirking her head slightly. She extended a hand to him and it seemed the strength and warmth that radiated from her pulled at him like a magnet.

Come with me…

…and then Rayage was back in the shop. Gone was the garden. Gone was the woman. Gone was the warm breeze. Who was she? Her name eluded him but her smile, her warmth, that place? It was all so hauntingly familiar. Rayage knew that place. He knew the woman. He just couldn’t recall how and it the ember of what the answer to those questions might be tugged at him.

One thing stood out amongst all of it though, the woman, when she had turned to face him she had been wearing the very locket that this young man now held in his hand. Rayage would recall exactly why it was so familiar then, it was nearly identical to the one he wore around his own neck.

Are you alright?” The locket was suddenly pulled from view to be draped around the young man’s neck once more. He hid it beneath his shirt again as he gave Rayage a puzzled look.

You don’t look so well.” Nuits seldom looked well so it was a moot observation. Regardless, Rayage now had a choice: help the young man and in so doing perhaps receive the answers to questions that were now nagging at him…or refuse him and send him, and the locket, on their way.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rayage on June 29th, 2014, 1:03 pm

The man seemed adamant about his work and he generally seemed to care about the people suffering in the tent city. If the nuit wasn’t hundreds of years old then he too perhaps would have felt an urge to help the man in his noble quest, but instead the wizard kept up his snide appearance and smug smile. However that soon changed, and all too quickly…

His smile faded as his eyes locked onto the locket nearly identical to the one which he currently wore around his own neck. Then he was there, in a garden, visiting a very distant memory. The locket was the key to awakening what had been buried deep in his mind and what he saw shook his very core. Of course he hadn’t forgotten what drove him to unlife, but this… this was something he felt connected to. And this man, the man in front of him could hold some answers.

The wheels in the nuits head spun as he smiled, waving a hand at the man as he asked if he was alright, ”I always look like this.” he attempted a light hearted joke, which was really out of character for Rayage, but he felt like it. He laughed and took a step forward, ”I will help you in any way I possibly can.” he told him, ’Including getting you that poison.” he said, ”But I would like for you to tell me who exactly that woman was that gave you that locket.” Rayage said.

The nuit had agreed to help this man and even named his price. He would do whatever he could to help the man on his mission, as he would try to unravel the mystery in his own head at the same time.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aoren on July 1st, 2014, 8:20 pm

The young man seemed skeptical when Rayage stated that his present condition was normal. He gave the Nuit shopkeeper a once over scanning his form from top to bottom. It was obvious he wasn’t very convinced but whatever his reservations he kept them to himself. At being questioned about the woman he appeared hesitant. There was silence in the shop as he studied Rayage intently.

She was incredible.” He brought the chain of the locket back over his head tucking the precious heirloom into the folds of his shirt. When he spoke the woman’s name a gentle smile touched his lips.

She was a painter. I had never seen anyone with such skilled hands before. She could look at the landscape and from the tip of her brush would fashion a painting so masterful it could make you weep. She was strong and passionate.” One thing that would stand out to Rayage was the manner in which the young man was referring to this mysterious woman. He spoke of her as if she were gone from the present world. He did not elaborate on the matter however.

She had a number of secrets. Some of which she shared with me but when I last saw her she was departing her home saying she was going in search of something.” He shrugged his shoulders. It was a flimsy display of feigning ignorance. A look into the young man’s eyes said that he knew far more than he was letting on. Though he might have seemed naïve at first glance it was obvious that he knew the value of information.

If you want to know more, if you need to know more, I will happily tell you everything you want to know after I receive the poisons. I will even give you the locket.” He extended a gloved hand offering Rayage a smile.

Do we have a deal?” Did they? What was the value of this information to Rayage? Was this trinket, a relic made in a bygone era truly worth so much to the Nuit? Undoubtedly this young man held the key to at least a few questions that tugged at Rayage’s ancient mind. What was not presented in this agreement was a means of negotiating with Doler himself. It seemed that would be left to the Nuit himself to decide. Such details would be largely irrelevant. Doler was a reclusive man content with making deals in return for basic necessities. The variety of items the owner of the shop would be interested in could be retrieved from one of the local markets in but a bell or two.

No, this was a deal between the young man and Rayage.

NoteNot my most elaborate work and I apologize for that. I struggled writing this post for some reason.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rayage on July 3rd, 2014, 11:49 am

The nuit listened to the man aas he talked about the woman trying to put those traits to the one he saw in his mind, in his memory. It echoed within him, those words of the man, the woman he described was there. She was there in his mind. Not forgotten, no, she felt too important to forget. She had been there all along in his actions, his very being. He felt like she was the one he lived on for, but that person died long ago, when the land was very different.

When the man asked if they had a deal the nuit smiled, ”We have a deal.” he said, extending his undead and rotting hand for a shake. ”Worry not about Doler,” Rayage said, ”I will make sure that he gets us the poison.” it was a shady thing, the plot brewing in Rayages mind. This deal was very much for Rays own sake. To satisfy his own curiosity, and it had nothing to do with his employer. However he could fashion up a lie and get suitable payment to the man without having to explain everything. For the poison Ray would pay for it, not the man in question.

”Do you care to show me the reason why you need the poison?” The man if he had any connection to the woman at all, as he seemed to, would be useful to solving his own dilemma. His mind ached and something called to him when he had seen that trinket. Something was pulling at his very soul, and he could feel the winds of change upon his skin, upon the man before him, upon Sunberth itself. Perhaps this sickness was part of the ever needed change? Or maybe it was a lesson.

[b]”While we are out we can find some supplies for Doler so he will give us the poison.”{/b] Ray said, walking towards the door with new life in his legs. The undead seemed to have more of a spring in his step than usual, and although it wouldn’t be noticeable to anyone who had just met him, or maybe it would, it was unusual for Ray to have such enthusiasm outside the lab.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aoren on July 5th, 2014, 1:40 pm

A polite grin crossed the face of the young man as they shook hands. He gave an enthusiastic nod to add emphasis to his pleasure at coming to an agreement with Rayage.

Well then my good sir, if you say not to worry about it then I won’t. I am glad that we can come to an agreement.” Adjusting the strap on his shoulder he moved to bow as if he were going to depart. His expression became hesitant as he listened to Rayage’s request. The young man pursed his lips chewing on the bottom lip for a moment as he regarded the Nuit.

You are certain you want to see it? There is nothing pleasant about this sickness. It is like nothing I have ever seen.” A haunted look entered the young man’s eyes. He was suddenly staring far off into the distance. His tone grew soft and as he spoke there was the smallest of tremors to his voice.

The victims are contorted in the most garish of positions by the time it is over. Their muscles have tightened and tensed to the point where their bones have begun to snap. The more they write…the worse it gets. The screams are the most inhuman thing I’ve ever heard. There’s no relief from this agony. There is only pain. When death finally takes them it is a terrible thing to behold. In some of what I’ve seen the victims have suffered so greatly some of their bones tore through flesh and with each bit of movement they only protrude more.” He shook his head coming out of the dreamlike trance. His eyes focused on Rayage and there was no small amount of fear in them.

Every victim, every single one says that they can hear voices, drawing them to their ends. The people have begun to call this affliction “Vayt's Lullaby”. If there is a more appropriate name, or a more ironic, I cannot think of it.” The young man shivered slightly. The disease he described was like something out of the black god Vayt’s darkest dreams. A dream for the Lord of Pestilence, the most twisted of nightmares for its victims. He leveled the Nuit clerk with a steady gaze.

Are you sure you’re prepared to see this? I could just as easily come and retrieve the order tomorrow to spare you the exposure. I do not know how this disease is transmitted. I have taken careful precautions to try and prevent its spread through limited contact and safety measures. If you contract the disease…I don’t know if I can save you.” There was a brutal honesty to the way he painted the picture. Dark times had visited Sunberth.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rayage on July 6th, 2014, 5:14 am

The undead wizard listened to the mans tale, his recollection and rendition of the disease he was fighting against. He could almost see the victims contorted in odd positions by the tightening of the muscles, and the pain that was brought about by going to such extremes. Bones snapping and eventually hallucinations, no doubt the mind trying to distract the body from the sheer amount of pain that it is in, going crazy from the very disease which was killing them… The description made even the nuit shiver and look slightly uncomfortable.

“’Vayt’s Lullaby’,” The nuit whispered the name of the horrible affliction, his voice hushed as if just saying the name could attract it to him.

This dark affliction was spreading through Sunberth? Rayage, in all his time, had never heard of such a disease or ailment. ”When did that woman leave? Rayage asked, ”Do you think she could have some connection to this Vayt’s Lullaby?” The nuit did not know the timeframe of which the woman, a painter, was in the city or met the man, or even where. Details were sketchy as was this plague. He couldn’t get the woman out of his head, she danced there, teasing him with her oddly familiar image. If she had a lot of secrets, secrets the man claims to know about, was she a wizard? Was this horrible affliction manufactured in a lab?

”Come back tomorrow.” Rayage said, ”You will have your poison by then, and we will go investigate ourselves.” The nuit had a lot to think about and supplies to get to get Doler to give him that potion. The sooner the man would leave the sooner he could get the poison and when tomorrow comes the real investigation begins. If this was of magical origin, there should be some indicators. And what a perfect place to experiment on, the population hated magic and shunned it. The oblivious were always the first to go, as nature doesn’t give a damn if you saw or knew about the predator in the shadows or not. If you died, you die.

OOCHard time with this post. Lets get to tomorrow and let the investigation begin!

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)