Animation on corpses without living soul?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Theodore Miles on July 31st, 2014, 5:36 am

Theodore Miles

-
-

Hey there, I was having a bit of a read through the wiki of this website. After pages and pages I came across something that created this question. In the topic about monsters, under the undead section it says: "A broader description of undead also includes mindless minor Animations that, while containing only instincts, still look like moving corpses." Does that mean an animator with sufficient knowledge and skill could create a living corpse without a soul?
Theodore Miles
The Unsleeping Inventor

Words: 8436
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 1:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Journal

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 31st, 2014, 8:02 am

I think you might be thinking of this in a slightly off way.

To break it down, normally animation creates golems, which are more or less giving a form of life to something not alive. It does this by crafting a fake soul, using a actual soul as a template, from a person or a animal or something like that.

At competent and up an animator is able to animate or bring to life golems that are human sized. This includes reanimating a dead body, and making it into a golem via animation. Bear in mind this is a frowned upon form of animation by many people, since bringing to life dead bodies is considered unsavory, in particular by nuits who would rather use those bodies to transfer into.

This however would not be a truly living thing, it would simply be a golem, giving motion and some basic knowledge and such that allows it to move and react in certain ways. It would still be liable to rot just like a corpse, and in the long term wouldn't be overly effective due to this. But it is possible for a competent and up animator to animate a corpse into a golem.

Now the only way to transfer a true soul into a golem, which is one way to make a nuit, is to be a master animator. They are able to transfer actual souls, and put them into golems. This would be the only case of an actual soul being put into such a body. Otherwise yes the golem would simply be a soulless machine more or less, reacting and acting as programmed by the animator. At least hopefully, assuming you did a good job programming them.

For further info I would read the Animation lore, along with the Golem lore.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Theodore Miles on July 31st, 2014, 8:37 am

Theodore Miles

-
-

I understood the basic concept of animation, but thank you for further enriching me. So you can make a corpse move via animation, joy... Glad Miles isn't a werido, phew.
Theodore Miles
The Unsleeping Inventor

Words: 8436
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2014, 1:10 am
Character sheet
Journal