[Medical Library] Chapter 1: A fateful meeting (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Postby Kiska on September 24th, 2010, 3:41 am

Kiska looked at Ero suspiciously. What did she mean by 'not as good as you'? She had simply followed Kiska through a library to a very obviously set-apart shelf full of the kind of books she was looking for. Maybe this woman was a seer, or maybe she had been watching Kiska. But for some reason, Kiska doubted that she was being followed by a giant green woman. That's something you just don't miss.

"Well yes, I'm sort of an investigator. I'm mostly searching for something for myself right now though, but very willing to take up jobs as well. I mostly deal in information and clues, but generally I can use that stuff to find people or places, or other missing, hidden, or stolen objects. I've always been good at finding things, especially if it means gaining knowledge. I've sort of got a ...thing, for learning." She blushed slightly, as if she had just told Ero her deepest, darkest secrets. She wasn't used to sharing so much with one person.

Kiska took the book from Ero and flipped it open to the first page.
"It should start with the beginning of the history of the Konti, but all books are different." She was talking half to herself and half to Ero, walking over to a seat as she spoke. "Go ahead and grab more books if you want, but I think this one's a good bet, so I'll search it for a while." She sat down in the chair she had chosen and began to read, 'The Konti are a race known for their fortune telling and medicine. The peaceful race that resides in The White Isles...' the page went on to describe the Konti as a race in vivid detail, a typical introduction to a book about a specific people.

Kiska was confident in her ability. What this Akontak was looking for sounded difficult indeed, but Kiska knew that if she were to search, she could find the answers this woman was looking for. Not that Kiska ever assumed jobs, she usually waited to be offered them, but Ero seemed a bit lost. It couldn't hurt to help her find her way around a library, surely.
Kiska
The Seeker of Destiny

Words: 74147
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2010, 6:17 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Ero on September 25th, 2010, 2:48 am

When Kiska blushed, Ero's jaw nearly dropped. It was the cutest thing she had ever seen another woman do. Ero resolved to try to make Kiska do it more.

Ero pulled up a chair next to Kiska. The woman was already engrossed in the book. It made Ero smile for some reason. She was reminded of someone, but she couldn't remember who. She already felt a kinship for this woman. Ero looked around at the library, suddenly bored. with a sigh she stood up and stepped back over to the bookshelf housing the history of the Konti. She searched the titles, and settled on a book that seemed to be about the social structure on this island, and how it came to be.

She stepped back over to the table and sat down next to Kiska, opening the book and diving in. After a few chapters she had already found something interesting. There seemed to be two ruling councils, both based on votes and offspring. The system was remarkably similar to what she knew of the Akalak Council of Elders. The status of Akalak were also based on whether or not they had fathered children, and if their children had also fathered children.

This discovery heartened Ero, especially since she had found it so quickly and easily. She turned to share her findings with Kiska.
Ero
Uniter

Words: 37129
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kiska on September 25th, 2010, 2:24 pm

Kiska looked up from her researching as Ero related her findings to her. "I take it you already know quite a bit about the Akalak, being from there." She said. 'I though she said I was better at this sort of thing, she seems to be doing okay on her own though,' thought Kiska, looking to the book the Akontak had picked up. "It's a relatively good bit of information you've found, you know. I hear that two babies separated at birth, when found again, will have very similar behavioural patterns. So even though their homes are in separate parts of Mizahar, they still have the same basic social structure."

Kiska was progressing through her book at a fast pace, and had found little but descriptions of the Konti and their current society. She found that Mura was really one of the only places to find Konti as a group. Other than that they seemed to only venture out for religious reasons or partners. This interested Kiska though. She thought to herself, 'Why should one race need to search for mates, when there is another of the opposite gender doing the same thing. It seems cruel to create one side of a race without another. Maybe this woman is correct about the two races.'

"Konti history doesn't seem to go very far back. This book has limited records of events in the early years after the Valterrian. What it does have are theories and vague bits of information." She closed the book and laid it on her lap, the book wasn't exactly useful in this case, but she would come back to it later if she had time. She stood up, carrying the book over to the shelf again, and began searching for another Konti history book.

"There are libraries all over Mizahar you know. I hear the one in Zeltiva is good for this sort of thing, but they have mages everywhere around there." She mentally kicked herself the instant she had said it. She knew magic users were not all bad, but it had been so deeply rooted into her mind as a child that she couldn't shake it sometimes. She strived to rid herself of this prejudice daily.
Kiska
The Seeker of Destiny

Character sheet

Postby Ero on September 25th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Ero sighed at Kiska's discovery. she knew not everything could be as easy as finding that first bit of information had been, but it was still annoying that the Konti didn't have records of their own race. She didn't really blame them, however, as even the Akalak history only had a few stories about pre-valterrian society.

She watched Kiska get up and start looking for another book. It surprised her how this total stranger would be so eager to help her. Were all Benshira this kind? Maybe it was something special about Kiska, well, besides the obvious things.

She stood up to ask if Kiska needed any help getting the book back on the shelf, when Kiska said "There are libraries all over Mizahar you know. I hear the one in Zeltiva is good for this sort of thing, but they have mages everywhere around there." This seemed strange to her, as Kiska had clearly seen her use her auristics on her. With a shrug, she dismissed it as a something to figure out later. Her stomach rumbled, and she realized that she hadn't eaten since before getting on the boat this morning. "Say Kiska, you seem pretty interested in this stuff. Would you like to go get some food and talk more about this over lunch?" she asked, hopeful that the woman would agree.
Ero
Uniter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kiska on September 25th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Kiska looked down to her petite figure. She could definitely use some food, but books had always come first in her opinion. "That sounds nice," she said, looking back to Ero. "Do you know any good places around here? Or would you just like to take a walk around the city?" She had halted her search for a new book, it appeared as if Ero was bored with this already.

"Why don't we head out now? It seems like a good time for food." Her stomach had started rumbling at the mention of food. Kiska walked back over to Ero, ready to leave. Ero's eyes seemed fixed on Kiska for some reason, which sent a shiver down her spine and arms. The hair on her arms stood up. Surely she wasn't afraid of this woman, but she wasn't sure what it was about her.

Kiska had never really been good at making friends, the other village children had never liked her much, even when she was allowed to go outside and play with them. She rarely travelled with others, but she had never really had a reason to travel with others before. Maybe she could find a friend in this woman.
Kiska
The Seeker of Destiny

Character sheet

Postby Ero on September 25th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Ero shook her head. "No, I haven't seen any good places around, but I'm sure we can find something nearby." she said, excited to have a friend. she gathered up the books they had pulled out of the shelves and stuck them back where they had been (to the best of her knowledge,) and turned to lead Kiska back outside. She did her best to stay quiet, but as she talked she received a few annoyed glances. It was a good thing they were leaving the library.

As she stepped back out into the light Ero began to explain here theory to Kiska, about how the Akalak and the Konti were made for eachother, possibly even the same race. She began to explain how Konti mothers were by far the most successful in giving birth to Akalak babies. She also talked about how things just felt right when the Akalak and Konti were together.

end.
Ero
Uniter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on October 1st, 2010, 6:16 pm

Kiska

Experience: 1 Research, 2 Hospitality, 4 Investigation, 2 Conversation
Lores: Being an Outsider, Meeting an Akontak, Ero’s Goal, Being Too Small, Sharing Personal Information with a Stranger, Konti Society, Developing a Friendship

Ero

Experience: 2 Observation, 1 Auristics, 3 Conversation, 1 Investigation, 1 Hospitality
Lores: Medical Library of Mura, Kiska’s Skills, Seeking Help from a Stranger, Being Lonely, Seeing Kiska Blush, Konti Government, Being Disappointed, Developing a Friendship

Comments

Nice thread. I liked the way the sympathy between your PCs slowly increased. Also, you did a good job at researching some basic information about the Konti/Akalak topic. One would find most information about the Konti’s origins in their mythology and creative writing, so it was reasonable you didn’t find out too much with this trip. If you have any questions or concerns about the awarded xp, please do talk to me!
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Previous