Award Howling In The Dark Is September's Featured Thread!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Howling In The Dark Is September's Featured Thread!

Postby Gossamer on September 1st, 2014, 9:58 pm

Aoren has graciously submitted his pick for Featured Thread for September.
Without further ado here it is!

Thread: Howling In The Dark

Review

I know a thread is good when I forget to take notes and actually write a review on it as I’m reading it.

A little bit about why I chose the thread to start us off. I have a deep love of the jungle. It’s a wonder I didn’t make a Myrian to begin with. That being said the mysteries of just what could be found in the dense unexplored depths of Falyndar are a fascinating thing to ponder. With that in mind I perused threads in the region and settled on this one.

From the opening sentence to the closing bit of advice, I was hooked. Kol depicts perfectly what I imagine the jungle to be like. I often base the fluidity of a thread on how well I can see the events playing out in my mind and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this particular solo played out like a scene in a movie for me.

Kol does a fantastic job of painting the imagery of a life in the jungle. He gives us a very wonderful bit of insight about what it might be like preparing for the challenges of an everyday Myrian getting ready to prove themselves to both Clan and Goddess. That sort of thing doesn’t just happen overnight! On the surface what starts out as possibly a humdrum foray into the jungle and what I thought would be a nighttime venture of tracking and wilderness survival lessons turns into a very, very realistic display of an actual fight to survive. While I won’t get into the nitty-gritty of the details I can say that the transition from simply being cautious to being in flat out danger sent a chill down my spine.

More than that though, we see a side of Myrians I don’t often get a glimpse of. The family aspect of things. Kol shows us that beneath the gruff exterior put on display to the world there is a concerned elder brother downright determined to make sure his little sister is on the road to success, a determination that leads him to put his life in danger for her.

That kind of bond says a lot about the character. It is a bond that speaks volumes about his loyalty and hints at a nurturing disposition. From an outsider's perspective Myrians are often depicted in other cultures around Mizahar as being savage. In this thread Kol channels the spirit of Myrian ingenuity, their rugged survival instincts and displays an admirable capacity to think on his feet. By giving us a glimpse into his life Kol compelled me to look deeper into not just his character but his character's people.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. If not for the suspenseful, pop-corn and soda theater factor then simply for the fact that it is a meaningful look at a situation that would be a very real occurrence in the life of many Myrians given the unforgiving nature of their environment.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Adelaide Sitai on September 1st, 2014, 10:44 pm

[
Just finished reading it, so I am leaving a note to say how much I enjoyed it. Well-deserved award. :)
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ragdoll on September 2nd, 2014, 7:39 am

An excellent thread from an excellent PC reviewed by an excellent writer. Kudos!
Riverfall - Behind the Waterfall - Mod Request Thread - Codex - OOC
Because of RL issues and a lack of energy that I can devote to Mizahar, I've decided to step down as an AS. I'm sorry to leave so suddenly, but it's truly been fun while it lasted. Hopefully I can come back some day.
Ragdoll
To err is human; to forgive is feline.

Words: 53704
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2014, 2:19 am
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Aoren on September 3rd, 2014, 2:17 am

Congratulations Kol! It was a great read. :)
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jashkataal on September 4th, 2014, 2:19 am

Wonderfully written!
Jashkataal
Lovely, Deep and Dark

Words: 22093
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2014, 9:35 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Khara on September 4th, 2014, 4:16 am

Congratulations! This was really an enjoyable read. Well done! :)
Image Image Image
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Savos on September 4th, 2014, 10:12 am

That was great. It was easy to read, without sacrificing the necessary details and emotion of the story :).
Savos
Player

Words: 97975
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2014, 5:31 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on September 5th, 2014, 1:12 am

Congratulations, Kol! Your threads are always a pleasure to read and this one was no different :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)