Hello, All

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Hello, All

Postby Kharx on October 8th, 2014, 12:45 pm

I'm new to the site but not new to roleplaying in general. I'm almost 40 and I've been involved in fantasy roleplaying games for the vast majority of my life.

I was hoping to find a good play-by-post community to join with a full unique world just like Mizahar has. In the end google brought me to you.

I've reviewed the races, skills, gods, gnosis, cities, and various other help threads. I do have a few more questions which I guess I'll ask here before continuing on.

The chicken or the egg? - If I want other PCs involved in my character's history, I would think I need their approval/collaboration before I write my history. However casual observation leads me to believe that you need a completed character before using the matchmaker forum. So how do I best get my desired results? Is it common to start the matchmaker forum with an incomplete character?

Lores - Prewritten or Invented? - I've read that I can invent my own lores, which fit with my character background basically indicating what their education would be. The character sheet template says pick two from this list. Which is it? Is it somehow the same?

Basic Character Package & Heirlooms - Are any changes to the starting package acceptable? It would just seem to me that slaves have less. A kelvic (my race), might have personal objects which would be usable in both forms, like saddle bags. Is there any artistic license here? I understand stopping, power hungry grasping, players from taking a lion's share of stuff, but I think the intent was to get basic stuff for your character to be able to take care of themselves. So I know we can buy with our starting money, but can we swap out a few things? Specifically concerning the heirloom, I don't see how a Kelvic would get one of those, especially if bred within a slave pen. Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance, and for reading my introduction. Hopefully, I'll be joining the rest of you IC soon. :)
Kharx
Player

Words: 1634
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2014, 10:00 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Hello, All

Postby Twister on October 8th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Hey hey, Kharx!

Woah, you sound like you've been playing for a while. It's always neat to see older and more experienced players find their way here. What sorts of settings have you been playing in, mostly?

I'll try to answer your questions, as well:

1) You don't need to completely flesh out your character's background from the start. Mizahar enables you to make Flashback threads as you go; essentially they are IC threads set somewhere in your character's past, prior to the date of their creation. You can start by making a basic outline for your character history and expand on it as you go, which is what I see most people doing. This goes for establishing relationship with other players, as well. Ideally you'd need to thread with them to establish past relationships (by doing Flashbacks), or you can just utilize the Matchmaker forum and ask around for people who were in the same place at the same time.

2) Most of your lores are indeed invented on the spot. The initial lores you select should have some connection to your character's skills and past to complement them with proof of your experience. I know some creation sheets have lists of "recommended lores" if you decide to start in a particular domain, but otherwise there is no established list of lores.

3) Slaves just don't start with any items or money of their own at all unless given to them by their owners. Otherwise, the starting package is supposed to represent the most basic of the basic equipment a normal starting character would have and you're generally free to subtract freely from this list if you so desire. You should generally pay for any and all additions, however, using your starting money. (Keep in mind that you can cash in your Housing option for 500 GM as well; you just need to find a different housing option (such as staying in inns and paying a daily cost for rent) since most cities require you to have Housing somewhere.) The heirloom doesn't have to be anything fancy, either, and isn't required. The heirloom is basically a "freebie" for a special item with connection to your character's background. It could be saddle bags, using your example. :) Otherwise, any alterations to the Starting Package would have to go through a resident Domain or Regional Storyteller. If there isn't one, you need to consult the Help Desk. It's very unusual that people significantly alter their packages, though, but people generally use their starting money creatively to complement what they are given at the start.

Hope that helps! Welcome to Mizahar! :D
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Hello, All

Postby Kharx on October 8th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Hello, Twister.

Wow, a very prompt response. I feel very welcome.

Thanks for the answers. It's much clearer now.

I'll test the waters in the matchmaker forum to find what I'm looking for.
Kharx
Player

Character sheet

Hello, All

Postby Thormond Seabrine on October 8th, 2014, 2:53 pm

Welcome kharx. I'm new myself, the staff is super friendly and helpful. I know I've only been here a little bet, but this is one of the best sites I've ran across in a long long while.
Thormond Seabrine
Don't for the sake of gold, lose your soul.

Words: 1504
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2014, 7:50 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hello, All

Postby Kharx on October 8th, 2014, 3:17 pm

I get that feeling too.

I'm looking forward to settling in. :)
Kharx
Player

Character sheet

Hello, All

Postby Twister on October 8th, 2014, 3:48 pm

lol, I'm glad you feel welcome! Mission accomplished.

If you have any more questions, make sure to let us know. I also recommend visiting the Chat to familiarize yourself more with fellow players and get real-time feedback. We're usually a pretty big crowd in there and there's usually a staff member around to help you out if you need anything. :D
Twister
Justice is Dead, Faith is Blind

Words: 258837
Joined roleplay: November 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Hello, All

Postby Gossamer on October 8th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Watch out kids. We've got another thirty something for the old farts team!

Now get off our lawns! I mean it this time....
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Hello, All

Postby Ball on October 8th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Welcome!

Old man =P I ain't that old (not quite 30 but getting there)
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Hello, All

Postby Kharx on October 8th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Hello Gossamer & Ball (or should it be Ball & Gossamer?) ,

Yep, old fart reporting in. LOL

But with your fancy, new fangled website, I feel young again ;)

I'll check out the chat pretty soon. Today is a pretty full day, so I'll either check out the night life tonight or try tomorrow.

Later Muchachos! (substitute Muchachas as needed :))
Kharx
Player

Character sheet