[Scraps of Est] In the Coulisse

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Estrellir Konrath on October 1st, 2014, 2:33 pm

What is life?

As October comes knocking at my door, I'll be even busier. I'm taking a week or two off work to get back into uni... orientation lecture tomorrow, then first courses next Monday. It's not as if I've lots to do yet, but I still have to get back into having a life, socializing (oh joy, a new roommate) and organizing another semester. Then I have to figure out how to balance uni, work and everything else. When I don't feel like posting, I procrastinate by making boxcodes... but only sometimes. Other times I just play Stepmania or watch TV series. Please bear with me!

Also, I've been listening to Vocaloids a lot... and I'm not even ashamed.

Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on October 28th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Music still keeps me alive.

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on November 1st, 2014, 3:44 pm

November Blues.

Look, Est even dressed up for Halloween... but probably ended up working on a case all night.

I'm still considering participating in Miz NaNo. I'm already participating in the original NaNo though (already at 3k) like every year. This is a huge problem because I'll miss all the fun going on around Miz NaNo...

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gwin on November 7th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Where was the Light

This thread is too exciting. I've a feeling that from now on I'll have to pay more attention to Gwin and see where it takes her!
Gwin
Guerilla Minstrel

Words: 144602
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Estrellir Konrath on November 18th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Coincidences?

After the last post, I'm especially sad to keep Eva and my other threads waiting, but I'm still in Portugal enjoying a much needed vacation. The point of this post is that I just visited a bookshop today and realized that it has inspired a particular Kenash location. Precisely this one.

Secret :
Gossamer wrote:

Now I know exactly where this is located at. I even took pictures of the outside (because you weren't allowed to take any inside). It's a huge coincidence, but I guess stuff like that tends to happen when you travel...
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Evalin on November 21st, 2014, 4:14 pm

I JUST found this! I am very happy you are enjoying our thread, truth be told its near the top of my all time favorites so far as well ^.^. I am excited to get back into the action with it. In any case we need to PM and talk about some things for the future, but just whenever you get time! Enjoy your vacation and bring me back something nice ok ;)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 15th, 2014, 10:21 pm

PLANS.

I’ve neglected this scrap and all of Miz for too long! So I decided revive this scrapbook for a start. Since I haven’t had the time or will to post for some time, it’s hard to get back into the characters now… but I hope to get some posts in over the holidays. I won’t work and obviously I don’t have to go to uni. There will be some studying, but I also plan to spend plenty of time doing the things I love and haven’t gotten around to the past few weeks.

Of course, it wasn’t all work. I went out with friends, braced the winter cold to do exams and presentations and wrote another novel. I also went to Portugal, saw beautiful places and met amazing people, some of them RP friends.

But I’ll probably talk more about that in another scrap. Now is the time to return to my lovelies, Est and Gwin. With Vice gone, Kenash is pretty dead. I was planning to finish my solos before starting any other threads. Of course, that killed my motivation. RPing is about interaction with other people after all… doing nothing but solos is no fun! And while Riverfall is plenty active, I was waiting for Eva to start our next thread. However, I should definitely do something with my Akvatari in the meantime! She’ll play her music as always, but she’ll also mull over what the witch said to her. An open thread around the city should be a good start. Basically, I want to get to know Gwin, maybe push her into unfamiliar situations and throw some musical challenges at her. She won’t play her usual depressing and melancholic songs anymore, not exclusively. I want to prepare her a little and see how far I can take things.

So there are plans, I just haven’t gotten around to writing them out yet. If you’re in Riverfall, please consider a thread with Gwin and PM me! If you don’t… I’ll probably PM you, haha.

Also, here’s a song with a beautiful MV.

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 17th, 2014, 2:19 pm

The way.

I’ve been confused for some time and this feeling has only grown during the past few months. While I still love the subject I’m studying, I’m increasingly growing frustrated with the methods. I love Japan and always will, but I’m not really seeing myself as an academic anymore. In the beginning, I loved research and compiling papers to add to the knowledge about Japan.

It was similar to writing fiction in a way, contributing to knowledge instead of dreams, catering to the mind instead of the heart. In time I realized, however, that research papers and the like would never reach the kind of broad audience that fiction touches. The academic community is a very secluded and self-satisfied place. Most professors I’ve known aren’t interested in reaching the general populace with their work – lest they be called journalistic, a horror to every true academic! That’s exactly what I don’t like about it though. The research and creating new knowledge part I really like, although writing fiction is still more enjoyable.

However, I’m at a loss as to how I could turn writing into a career. I’ve submitted a novel to publishers and got turned down… so I guess I should just keep trying and polish my stories until they’re good enough. However, at this point I’m a little frustrated with the process. You know, I publish my stories on websites from time to time and they get positive feedback. Of course, there’s a huge gap between readers and editors when it comes to judging a story’s worth, but I still can’t help but think I should do something with those positive vibes.

So I’ve been gravitating towards self-publishing lately. Publish a book or two via the internet, learn a thing or two about advertising it and then go from there. It wouldn’t hurt my CV too. I’m still writing in German which could pose a minor problem, but surely there are ways to overcome it.

I guess my doubts come from the fact that this way goes against my original dream of traditional publication. I want to hold my physical book in hands! But I can still do that… a little detour doesn’t have to be a bad thing, after all. I’d appreciate your thoughts on that. Self-publication or the traditional way? Which is better?

Of course, I wouldn’t be content if I didn’t have a plan B. I still want to be a translator, but like I said, I’m frustrated with university and writing papers right now. (Really, how can they take themselves so seriously? Only a tiny fraction of mankind will ever read what they produce!) Plus, I’m not sure how to bridge the gap between a degree in regional studies and a job in translation. I’d need methods we aren’t taught because we don’t specialize (yet).

Right now, my plan B would be in catering, beverages and specifically bartending. I’ve been working as a waitress for about four months now. It’s exhausting, but depending on the occasion it can be fun. Also, I’m drawn to the bar. Always. They haven’t let me work the bar yet, but I’m really fascinated by the beverage part of it all. I’ve also been mixing a few cocktails for fun and I have the equipment to do so at home. In the near future I’d love to do a course or two, earn some qualifications. First I need to save up though.

So that’d be my plan. Like I said, I’ve been confused about what to do for some time and writing down thoughts feels good. I’d really appreciate comments too! At 22, I’ve a feeling I should have a more solid idea of what to do with my life, but it can’t be helped. If I’m slow, I’ll be slow until I get to the place I feel comfortable in.
Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 20th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Offerings.

I'll just leave this here - it's funny and amazing at the same time. (You can ignore the parts in German too.)

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Estrellir Konrath on December 29th, 2014, 7:35 pm

I bet everyone discovered this before I did, but still... The title made me think Ethaefal too.

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

PreviousNext