Closed An Expedited Expedition

Clyde and Irriari are sent on a unexpected trip outside of Ravok

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

An Expedited Expedition

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 16th, 2015, 1:39 am

40 Winter 514

Clyde's work as a member of the Stryfe often varied. Sometimes he was sent to respond to citizens complaints. Sometimes there was a disturbance, or some other issue that required a member of the Stryfe.

In this instance however his duties took him outside of Ravok, to deal with a problem that one did not often expect would fall under the purview of a member of the Stryfe.

Bandits.

Normally Ravok did not care about bandits, as they could not really make it across the lake to cause trouble, and so were not the concern of the Stryfe.

However trade was still important, and goods needed to be able to get to and from the city. Particularly goods that where under the protection of the Stryfe, carried by merchants that were citizens of Ravok, and who had paid the appropriate people to ensure their protection.

If said protected goods were intercepted or bothered, it reflected poorly on those who had been paid to ensure they did arrive, often someone or other within the Stryfe, often high up within when dealing with larger merchants.

Clearly these bandits had not gotten the message, and had attacked the wrong people too many times. And so it was Clyde's job to make sure they did get the message, and understood not to attack those they shouldn't be.

Non-citizens were fair game, but citizens... Less so.

Apparently, from what Clyde had been told, the half brother of a member of one of the Ravokian families who had paid the appropriate people had been killed in a recent raid on a caravan.

Clyde was in charge of a expedition to find the bandits, and show them the error of their ways. They knew they general area of where the bandits were, or at least where they had raided several caravans recently, and that seemed a easy enough place to start looking. It was a few bells walk away from the shore of Ravok, which meant they'd likely be staying the night outside, or at least on this side of the shores of the lake.

Since he had been offered the chance to select several lower ranking Stryfe to assist him, Clyde chose Irriari, a zith he had sparred with recently that season.

She was to be under his command and leadership, and he waited for her near the shore of lake Ravok.

Assuming she arrived soon, and it only took two bells or so to reach the spot, they'd likely arrive about sundown, or shortly thereafter.

However in case they did stay out for the night, Clyde had brought along his camping gear, tent, and bedroll along with his pack.

Foremost though he wore his Ebonstryfe armor, a suit of brigandine armor emblazoned with the mark of the Stryfe, which had small metal plates throughout it offering protection. These however were concealed within the material of the suit, and so it was hard to tell unless one actually struck it that they were there inside, though the metal rivets that held them in place did show through the leather, hinting perhaps at what was inside the layers.

As always Clyde had Cha in hand, ready for whatever came their way. He also had a hammer, or a sledge as it was sometimes called, tucked into his belt, along with a second one in his pack.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

An Expedited Expedition

Postby Irriari on February 18th, 2015, 8:13 am

Irriari was deeply focused on creating a Shield when a knock on her door startled her out of the serene meditative state she had worked so hard on attaining. Just like that, a half bell’s worth of work was flushed down the drain. The typical anti-human thoughts floated through her head as she stood up to open her door. It wasn’t enough that they filled the streets like vermin- they had to encroach upon her domain in the morning hours too. She walked to the door at a leisurely pace, hoping that whoever she was keeping at the door was annoyed or in the process of leaving. A sharper knock echoed through the walls of the small house. Petching humans didn’t know when to quit. It was probably some damned child that had been dared to get a reaction out of her for a sum of mizas. Perhaps he would change his attitude if she broke off all of his fingers. Infuriated, the zith stormed to the door and threw it open with such force that it hit the wall it was anchored to. A courier with the symbol of the Ebonstryfe had one fist balled in the air, poised to knock again. The symbol of a white sun being pierced by a black blade curbed her temper to a small degree, but it did little to help ease the venom in her tone. Ebonstryfe or not, this young boy was simple a courier and deserved little more than the respect she gave to the meals that she hunted.

“What do you want, boy?”

He shuddered slightly at her visage and looked downward, obviously uneasy that he was tasked to deliver a message to a zith. She doubted that the person in charge of his orders had bothered to relay that detail. He stammered a bit but managed to get his message across.

“T-there’s some bandits past the lake shore. Clyde Sullins, soldier of the Ebonstryfe requested that you assist him in dealing with them.”

The zith blinked at the boy and then breathed in sharply in an effort to rein in the displeasure that surged through her at the awful delivery of his message.

“That’s it? He requests me?! You don’t plan on telling me where? Do you think that because I have wings I can just stroll around the lake side and look for people?”

At this, she flared her wings outward and stepped forward, daring the boy to say that he knew nothing else, hoping that he would be foolish enough to agree with her question. Sadly, he was not and he relayed the location that Clyde had given to the Ebonstryfe. For her own pleasure, Irriari made the boy repeat it once more, claiming that his ridiculous human stuttering made it impossible to understand him. Midway through his recital Irriari slammed the door in his face and rested her back against the door, listening for the sound of the courier boy running as fast as his feet could carry him. Satisfied, she mused on the request. Surely Clyde could use some help if his skill with that staff was any indication. She doubted that he could hold off even one half-skilled bandit with the unwieldy sapling that he called a weapon. Even if Clyde was skilled, the zith could hardly resist the sweet call of a hunt that hummed through her veins.

Energized, she sorted through her belongings and settled on the things that she would bring along to the hunt. Her quiver was packed full of armor piercing arrows and she quickly painted the claws on her hands with roughwood poison. It was her last dose and there wasn’t enough left in the vial to coat her clawed feet. After the poison dried, she donned her leather armor and grabbed her short bow. There would be plenty of food to hunt in the woods surrounding the lake and she didn’t relish the idea of going to the market to buy jerky. The zith were natural hunters and the bandits would take no more than a few hours to locate. Bandits were generally good fighters but poor strategists and survivalists. Lastly, Irriari tied her fur coat around her quiver and strapped the quiver to her torso. Satisfied with her preparations, she set out to the ferries that took Ravokians the edge of Lake Ravok.

After a few bells of remarkably uneventful ferry travel, Irriari arrived at the inn near the edge of the lake. It was a relatively new addition to the area, but it had fared incredibly well since opening. Even in the early hours of the afternoon, patrons milled in and out of the entrance and stable hands ran between the small barn and the inn. Irriari ignored the patrons and instead looked for Clyde. After a few minutes of pacing around the lake edge, she found him waiting with his ever trusty staff. She waved to him as she caught his eye.

‘Perhaps he can’t find a girl. It would explain his odd relationship with it, at least’.

Deciding it would be wise to keep her musings to herself, she instead inquired about the bandits they were to be hunting.

“So, where are these bandits? Who are they? When do we get to kill them?”

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

An Expedited Expedition

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 20th, 2015, 4:28 am

Clyde's waiting was interrupted as the Zith Irriari waved to him, announcing her arrival. Clyde shifted for a moment in his armor, adjusting to the added weight. It was not totally uncomfortable, though Clyde did not wear it often and so was not totally used to it.

Still though it was much lighter and much more flexible than full plate armor, though admittedly not as protective from attacks. But still it was good enough for his needs, at least for now.

Clyde did not doubt that soon enough, perhaps in a few seasons time or even a few years, he would replace the common armor with a work of his own magic, of Magecrafting. He had not settled on what it would be, nor was it the first item he planned to craft for himself, but it was one of many once he had the funds.

As Clyde turned to the approaching Zith, she asked him a first question, clearly showing her impatience and her abrasiveness.

“So, where are these bandits? Who are they? When do we get to kill them?”

Clyde simply sighed and shook his head, pointing at her with Cha as if she was a spear he planned to run her through with.

“First of all, no one said anything about you killing anyone. I will make it clear now. I am in charge, and our mission has nothing to do with slaughtering a bunch of bandits. If I just wanted them dead, I could have gone out and wiped them out myself easily enough, and saved myself the trouble of dealing with you.”

Pausing for a moment, Clyde turned to look out away from Ravok, before turning back to Irriari, glaring at her openly.

“Now, just to be clear, unless I directly order you to kill someone, you will not do so. If you are attacked you may defend yourself and incapacitate or disarm them, but no killing unless I tell you. Surely you can defend yourself against a bunch of bandits.”

“Now since it is clear you are going to question everything I say, and be annoying until I explain it to you, I will make things clear and explain it simply. We are out here on an instructional exercise, not a hunt or a sweep. I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend the next year straight hunting down and killing every bandit that pops up about Ravok. So we will work smart, and not hard, and deliver our message for them to stay in line.”

“The bandits must learn not to attack citizens of Ravok, not to cause the Ebonstryfe problems, and to give the Ebonstryfe the amount of respect we are due. These particular bandits have failed on all three counts.”

“And so we will use them as an object lesson, and show them the error of their ways, and they in turn will spread the word of what happens when people do as they do, thus saving us the trouble of repeating ourselves, and from having to hunt down each bandit group individually.”

Clyde paused once more here, giving Irriari a moment to hear his words, and to let them sink in, before he concluded his speech.

“You are here for tracking and stealth purposes, and because for some reason most humans find your fuzzy form scary. Now, do you understand, and will follow my lead, or will we be having problems?”

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)