A Different Kind of Practise (Job Thread)

Altaira is thrust into the workings of medicine and direct care.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Altaira Readva on February 11th, 2015, 9:49 am

8th Winter, 514AV | Speach

A mere bell ago the kelvic woman was fast asleep in bed, at noon.

Three quarters of a bell ago she had dragged herself out of her warm sheets and blankets, said her morning prayers and spared a thought for her true purpose in the city.

Half a bell ago she had left her lodgings and was well and quite truly on her way to work in the infirmary, with a lead weight in her gut. 'How much death will I see today? Dira, help me- Guide them to their next life.' Mistress Clara had had the kelvic come in early that morning, that Gods Forsaken morning, do short work only to send her home for rest. Too many staff had heard the strickening news and come in to work- and the woman was quite simply fearing that so many were on active duty, that there would be none to relieve them when exhaustion hit.

Now, the kelvic found her heart heavy and her hands covered in blood, some nurse attending the patient next to her giving her hasty word and direction as the kelvic attempted to see to the pained man's wounds. "Unbandage and clean the wound thoroughly, he's been here for a while," there was a bitter sigh that left the woman's lips as she gestured to the bloody mess of an arm before the kelvic. The woman shot the man before her a wayward class, his forehead covered with beaded sweat and mouth twisted into the form of a pained scar.

She knew the man wanted to question her, to probe her and ask her if she truly knew of what she was doing- but the answer to that question was not one that he wanted to hear. She herself knew that. With a a sigh of her own and an adjustment of possible, Altaira and the other nurse with their handful of patients taking refuge in one of the smller herbalist's rooms, the kelvic lifted the man's arm and began the painful task of unwrapping the stained of blood bandage, now stained with dried blood and yellowed with dirt.

At every flinch and wince, the kelvic would pause shortly, give the aging, silver haired man a stern look, before dipping her head down and continuing her work. The first few unwrappings were awkward, at best, the woman propping the arm of the man up with one hand as the other took the bandage and threaded it over and through, and she found herself thanking the Gods that it was only on the upper arm of the patient that his injuries were concentrated. "Do you mind if I ask?" she lulled, keeping her voice low and sweet.

The sounds of the room were taking too much from her concentration- it was not a dead silence, but instead a myriad of groans and curses, of prayers and hopes and damnations. She needed something, however short-lived it was, to take her mind from all that was whirling around her, too keep her concentration held. She needed something to distract her from how eerily serene she was finding herself, knowing too grimly in her gut that if she were not careful, every twist and turn in her place would show a new insight into someone’s death.

‘Breath in, breath out – in, out. Why am I in such unease?’

“Damn debris,” his voice did not give her the comfort that she’d been hoping, but the fact that he still had the strength to speak was more than enough. She’d wagered that he’d come in in the first influx of patients, his wounds not nearly severe enough to warrant immediate attention, much like all others that she and the nurse at her flank had been charged with. Their patients were the ones whose wounds would cause serious harm if not treated in a respectable time period, but were nowhere near severe enough to warrant any more than a herbalist and a nursing student at their charge.

"Then, at least it was not the blast itself," by then she’d finished unwrapping the wound, and was quite proud of herself for how steel her face and iron her gut proved.
Last edited by Altaira Readva on February 11th, 2015, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Words: 279063
Joined roleplay: October 22nd, 2013, 6:39 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Different Kind of Practice (Job Thread)

Postby Altaira Readva on February 11th, 2015, 10:31 am

Altaira gingerly leaned forward as she examined the wound to the best of her ability, the gnarled mass and off putting smell the most notable of her observations. “The one who did… this,” she began, gesturing to the bandages. “Did they ensure that it was fully clean, or… she wasn’t at all sure what questions were those that were meant to be ask, and she shot a short look to the nurse. From there, Altaira found herself in a particularly powerless little position as the nurse and her own patient exchanged words and nods and grunts, ending with Altaira’s own next actions already laid out before her.

“Altaira,” the nurse began, gesturing to the wound and then the herbalist’s cupboard behind them. “He’s been cleaned, but there may be some fragments left,” a pair of long tweezers were then shortly placed into the woman’s hands, and a breath of irritation rolled from her lungs. “Remove them, then reclean and rewrap- new materials or old?” Altaira did not play the guessing game, she was not there to learn, and she had sat in on enough treatments to understand the gist of the treatment. The nurse gave the kelvic a short look, before she tilted her head side to side as she ensured her attention was not too long taken from her own charge. “Add some poultice, you’d have a better idea of which than I, and see about using a fresh gauze to cover it, but we’re short on supplies.”

The kelvic nodded shortly as she regarded the tweezers in her hand with the utmost scrutiny, before she realised quite how worried her patient appeared. “I’ve a steady hand,” she mused, before shifting herself in a position such that she could rest the man’s arm on her knee, “I may not look it, but I’ve been in the herbalism trade for years now- I, in fact, grew up in House Whitevine of Avanthal.” She gave the man a gentle smile as she saw the recognition pass through his expression, and as she gazed into the mass of ruined flesh, she thanked her kelvic blood the ever so slight enhancement of her sight.

“You’re Vantha?” the question, to her, sounded both absurd and ridiculous, and she hummed and ahhed as she spotted a slither of wood struck deep to the side of the wound. “I imagine I am, in part,” she didn’t mind the talk so long as she worked, though given her down right lack of skill, it did indeed slow the process drastically. Still, she noted, the man had stilled since her words had begun to give him more than the pain to think about. She pressed her lips as she aimed or the splinter with all the precision she could muster, taking absent note that the man had said something more, though far too preoccupied to react or further enquire.

The splinter was well and truly jammed into the skin, the colouration of the flesh surrounding it redder and irritated than the others, and she outright ignored the slight presence of puss as she tugged the wood from its place, accidently pinching the surrounding skin, as her free hand was steel around the patient’s arm as he winced. “Now, that wasn’t so bad- was it?”

The man grumbled and shot her a look, pressing his own cracked lips with a look as though he just wished for the day to be over. Altaira brought her focus once more to the task at hand, this time spotting a similar slither of wood to the lower left of the wound, and she fumbled with the tweezers once more as she drew our three stunted shards. “I’d take it that it was some form of… wood that struck you?” she ventured, hand hovering over the wound as she scanned the rims of the semicircular wound, searching keenly for fragments that appeared to no longer exist. “No, tell me a story.”
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Altaira Readva on February 11th, 2015, 11:04 am

The kelvic gave the man a stern look before she continued her work as though he’d not said a word, rummaging through his flesh quite unprofessionally as she sought anymore debris and splinters, only deciding herself that the wound was cleared when the nurse in turn gave the kelvic a stern look. “Redress the wound, and place a fresh gauze. Remember the wound must be allowed to dry.”

Altaira shuffled awkwardly from her position as she made for the herbalist’s bench, taking shortly in hand one of the cotton fabrics and seeking a proper poultice for the injury, making no attempt to hide her reference to the massive tome that was laid out before her, scanning over the number of plants and extracts and teas and tinctures, wondering absently just how long they had until they were to run out of supples. “Will the council… she began, pretending that she was hushing her words as she spoke to the other nurse. Altaira bore no love for the blighted figurehead of the council, and any way to besmirch him name was taken with vigour and enthusiasm. “Be offering formal aid, or are they still in shock?”

The statement was semi-true, and the kelvic pretending she did not hear the curse and ‘hush’ given to her by her peer, and continued to run her finger down the book. There was mention of some rugberry tea to help the healing process, and she near administered the item before reminding herself why they were in a herbalist’s station in the first place. ‘No, no. There are too many in bedside care. Teas will serve them better.’ It was almost remarkable how calm and serene the little cove was, though she reminded herself time and time again how cut off the little room was to the bulk of the infirmary, and took not how few ticks it had been since a fellow herbalist or nurse rushed in for supply or reference.

A groan from her patient had her quicken her search, and her gaze scanned pages tied more so to medicine, and frowned at the list of herbs that were of striking unfamiliarity. ‘Not a good sign, no.’

Hista balm for the relief of body aches was one of those perhaps too advanced for her own experience to harvest or create, along with some ointment by the name of Iwart for the healing of open wounds that seemed to be too grand of a solution to be true. “Iwart?” the herbalist asked, hoping that the practising nurse was more familiar with it than she. “You’ll need to judge by reserves and expense,”[/b] she chimed back, after a quiet moment of thought, something which the kelvic took as the woman herself not truly knowing.

The woman pressed her lips and read onwards, combatting her own struggles with the skill by scanning simply for the word ‘wound,’ hitting gold as she found another alternatives. Krolar poultice was said to be a decent all round solution, and it seemed to Altaira to not be too expensive, and so it was the item that she then sought, gaze across the benches and draws short as she located the one of interest, a breath of relief leaving her as it appeared that they were in good stock.[i] ‘I chose well, thank the Gods.’

With a swift movement, the woman returned to her patient with jar and gauze, giving him a much lighter look as she sat beside him and once more inspected the wound, not minding how her hands by then almost seemed to be stained of blood. “This is called krolar poultice,” she began, gesturing to the contained as she rubbed it on his arm, the man quite obviously seeming bitter for her declination of spinning a tale for him. “This will numb your pain and help the healing, understood?” once she’d finished the haphazard administration of the poultice, her lack of experience evident in the mess and uneven coating of the wound, she gently placed the gauze and began the task of rewrapping the injury.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Altaira Readva on February 11th, 2015, 11:49 am

She felt an inkling of guilt for having to rewrap the man’s injury with the same stained cloth, but it was nowhere near her place to argue when she herself acknowledged that there was little that could be done or said – even more so with a half dozen other patients in the same very room itself requiring treatment, and no doubt hundreds more city wide.

Another bitter breath left her, and she took to wrapping the injuring perhaps too tightly and all over the place, with an uneven mounds soon amassing in the centre bulk of the injury, and she found herself then awkwardly moving to even the spread as she approached the end of her wrappings. She could feel the man give a disapproving look, but she let the feeling roll off her back as she reminded herself why in Dira’s name she was dealing with people in the first place- her role in the infirmary usually being one where she advised the less herbalism savvy nurses and doctors on possible remedies.

There was nothing to be ashamed of in performing a skill poorly when her skill in it was, well, poor indeed.

It took a moment took long for the kelvic to seek the hook that was required to fix the bandage in place, and the fellow nurse took it from her fingers in a worrying haste before clipping it into place herself. “Thank you, sir, is that all?” it was too obvious that the nurse was wanting the man to vacate himself from the hospital, and he gave her a stern look before a softer one was fixed at Altaira. “Yes, thank you…”

Altaira brought herself to her feet and offered the man aid in standing, not doubting the sleep that had likely numbed his legs from so long seated, “Will you be able to find the reception easily?- to sign yourself out?” She herself hadn’t meant to sound as though they were rushing him, though once the kelvic allowed herself to take breath and a short moment to collect herself, the sound of the world once more tuned in with her, and she was bitterly aware of how loud it all was.

“No, no. I should be fine- thank you.” His voice had gathered some much needed strength, and he seemed to hold himself well enough for one who would be needing to take himself home.

The moment the man was cleared from the room, Altaira’s shoulder was sharply tapped her attention drawn to one of the women, a swollen and heavily bruised ankle clearly evident. Before she allowed herself to be commandeered by her own blighted peer, the woman ensured to twist from the pinching grasp and make a bee line for the water basin, washing her hands from all blood, gunk, and poultice. “Anything needed while I’m here?” she asked, drying her hands on her once-white apron, taking the silence received from her prior question as a ‘no.’
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Altaira Readva on February 11th, 2015, 1:32 pm

When Altaira approached the two herself, she noted quite curiously that the woman was feeling the bone almost blindly, the poor patient cussing and cursing as she did so.

“What is…” the kelvic frowned as she drew nearer, taking seat kneeling by the two before her, watching on in a state of almost entrancement at the deft hands of the woman before her. “Fractured bones,” the nurse said softly, before reaching for Altaira’s hand and pressing it against the skin of the woman, shifting it around expectantly. “Feel that?” the woman said, tone borderline irritated. “That’s what it feels like for a bone that is unbroken. Sometimes bones may break without puncturing the skin, so it is important to check any injuries like this for actual breakage,” the nurse gave an apologetic look the woman, before gesturing to the herbalist’s counters. “We must restrict the movement- please fetch some extra bandages.”

The kelvic somehow reframed from rolling her eyes at the woman as she stood and did what was asked of her, taking seat as she herself further inspected the ankle before it was covered, noting curiously the way in which the bruising had formed. “Care for her burns, please,” the herbalist blinked twice at the request, before shooting a look towards the patient, who then shuffled slightly in place before gesturing to her hands.

‘Burns… was she at the university?’

Altaira took the woman’s hands into her own an looked upon them with scrutiny, the redness of the fingertips and patches across the palms being the evidence that she assumed were tied to burns that she was supposed to begun treated. “Have you received no other treatment?” she asked, not quite sure if the answer would set her at ease. It took a moment before a response was received, and a pang of relief shot through the kelvic as she noted that it was in the affirmative.

“This morning… they were handing out burn cream through-out the waiting room when I arrived,” the two makeshift healers looked from one to the other, and a agreement of sorts was silently passed, and Altaira brought herself to her feet and moved towards the reference tomes as the other nurse handled the speaking. "We'll reapply you with more burn cream, and see about wrapping your hands," the kelvic herself could hear the nurse's hesitation before she could continue, "Altaira will be sure to find a cream that is not too expensive for your own purchase, so you may reapply as needed."

Whatever expression or mumblings of the patient that followed, the kelvic heard none of it, the ways of reading the written word requiring all of the attention she could muster.

'Mi-Ma-Miaso cream aids with blisters... cheap, very cheap,' the kelvic then shot a look to the nurse, before asking the question on mind, already moving to find the drawers where the jars were set. “How many blisters?” The nurse made a sound akin to only a grumble, and she shortly joined the kelvic at the benches. "A number of smaller ones, largely on her finger tips."

Altaira nodded away and found three jars of the cream in question, a small smile of victory as she gave herself a silent appraisal for being relatively quick with her maths - the jar sizing of the cream in particular enough for four doses a pot. The nurse took each the moment they were set, and called back for short instruction, “Some on each blister, should be enough to remove and fully heal.”

It was a good feeling to return to- the feeling of being about to seek an end to a problem and advise. 'I have my dues owed to Dira, I cannot have all my time taken by this work.' She gave a rolling sigh and tightened the cloth tie that fixed her hair, before giving herself a short and simple reminder. 'Dira is patient, all will return to her eventually. There is no rush, no rush.'

Her eyes fell once more and scanned the aging tome, the word of the study being 'burn' as she flicked from page to page. She found herself hovering over the page that detailed one's typical burn cream, biting her lip as she attempted to ascertain whether or not they could afford its use- and whether or not it had been used already. “The cream they used on you...” she trailed, her gaze dwelling on a scrawling on the book noting that such a salve could be used only once. “How did it smell?”

From what was detailed before her, the typical burn cream was one of foul smell and unpleasant odour, "Bad, very bad." The answer was both good and bad new brought to her. It was good to know that the healing process had already been sped up, but not so comforting to know that the kelvic was in need to seek another remedy.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Altaira Readva on February 11th, 2015, 11:43 pm

A short bout of worry began to stricken the woman as the tome of salves began to fail her, the lists of poultices and tinctures limited in their listings of burn oitments and treatments there were other to those that had already been put into use, and she bit her lip as her mind flurried for a solution. She couldn't send a patient home without putting something on her wounds.

The nurse made a sound that the woman interpreted as a lack of patience, and she called back with steeled nerves and a calm mind. 'Dira did not choose me for being quick to unnerve.' "See to the next patient," she said, with as much authority and wisdom under guise as she could manage. "I may need to make something," in line with her own words, Altaira hauled through the first half of the tome before settling on the raw herbs and materials, and at once felt much more into her element.

She was no philterer, but she could prepare simple solutions, and a dear old colleague of hers gave a stunning demonstration if need arose. Words such as 'blister' accompanied her search alongside 'burn,' and the ticks that passed by felt like chimes as she sought something of use. 'Connal, botanol, tolm, kiv-no.' The longer the search bore, the more impatient she could feel the patient going, and her own worries climaxed as she heard the Gods forsaken sound of another two patients shuffling in and taking seat, with an obvious further handful beginning to cluster at the door.

'Breath in, breath out- in, and out.'

In a lucky break and short moment of calmed mind, Altaira managed to stumble across a herb that was all that she was wanting and needed. Rhinedale, a tree whose ashes, as said on the page dedicated to its description and logging, could be mixed with water to produce a paste of sorts that aids with the soothing of burns and blisters. A breath of relief rolled from Altaira's lungs, and she swiftly rummaged around at the benches as she sought both a small container and a dose of water, before then shifting to the stows of raw herbs, and silently thanking the Gods that the ash needed was in no short supply.

A small spatula was grabbed on her way past, and it took a great deal of effort not to trip on the patients that littered the room. "How many others here require the caring of burns?" the question seemed to catch many unaware, and it took several ticks before she was satisfied that all that could answer in the affirmative had done so. From there, the makeshift healer empty a moderate portion of ashes to her pool of water, and found herself then playing the 'how much is enough' game that came with such pastes.

Her final product was perhaps a little too far on the watery side, though she felt that given the number of patients that no doubt required aid for burn injuries, it would quite simply have to do.

Before Altaira herself could return to the patient triumphant with a treatment, the nurse had taken the bowl and moved to do so in her stead, "Thank you, now, can you please see to the newer patients- we need to know if they have a priority." A look of irritation was shot at the nurse, though she did quite simply what was asked of her- Gods, the day would long and taxing.
Altaira Readva
I can wait.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Perplexity on March 19th, 2015, 5:57 pm

You have played well, but the game is at an end.

You have been bested. Beaten. Checkmate!

However, here is a consolation prize: a wealth of Experience and Lores! If you have any questions or concerns regarding this grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to assist you!

Altaira
XP
  • Medicine | +5 EXP
    Herbalism | +4 EXP
    Storytelling | +1 EXP
    Organization | +1 EXP
    Leadership | +2 EXP
LORES
  • Medicine: Properly Changing Bandages
    Medicine: Tweezers To Remove Bits of Debris
    Medicine: The Smell of Infection
    Medicine: The Applications of Poultice
    Medicine: Signs of a Sprained Ankle
    Medicine: Signs of a Fracture
    Medicine: Caring for Burns
    Medicine: Triage of Patients
    Iwart: Used For Open Wounds
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Lores! All of the lores! If there's anything I missed just let me know.

Until Our Next Match,
-Perplexity, DS of Zeltiva
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)