Nykan Inbound

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Nykan Inbound

Postby Amarion on July 21st, 2015, 10:53 am

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to post a formal introduction now that I've finally taken the time to create an account. I'm going to begin drafting up a Character Sheet for a Human in Nyka but while that process is underway I'll tell you all a little bit about myself.

I'm a 22 year old recent college graduate who's been writing as a creative outlet for just a little over ten years. I'm working full time for a small company some fifteen minutes away from my house and have fallen into a comfortable routine I feel needs a supplemental activity to break the current monotony of my lifestyle. That's not to say all I do is work! I'm also a practitioner of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai-- a fact I believe will provide invaluable in giving some perspective in writing some of the inevitable combat scenes that will come about as a result of Amarion's environment.

I'm a big fan of fleshing out character's and plots before jumping into the story and I've pored through the Lore for several days now so that I can have a firm handle on the world my character will be operating in. That being said, I was wondering if there were any external resources any of you used to draft a skeleton for either your character's profile/development or overarching plots they are associated with. I have a tendency to have this wild flush of ideas come through as I'm starting a project such as this, but without a means of consolidating and organizing those thoughts into actual words, they tend to not make it from brain to keyboard.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about me, I'm more than happy to answer them! I can't wait to start playing!
Amarion
Player

Words: 4958
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2015, 2:47 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Nykan Inbound

Postby Kayuqtuq Snowsong on July 21st, 2015, 5:25 pm

Welcome! I'm not in Nyka, but I'm sure you will have a lot of fun there. Have fun RPing!
Vani Common Nari Thoughts
Note: Kayuqtuq is only basic in Common, and particularly has trouble with grammar and the structure of words. If you notice she talks a little like a six-year old, that's why.
Note: Due to real life, posts will be delayed. I'm working hard on some non-Mizahar writing, and that plus school and various other things makes it hard to post.
Kayuqtuq Snowsong
The Bard

Words: 30583
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2015, 11:10 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Nykan Inbound

Postby Ren Doyle on July 23rd, 2015, 5:46 am

Welcome to Mizahar, Amarion. I hope you enjoy your RP experience here
Ren Doyle
The Florist at Syliras

Words: 9796
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2015, 12:20 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Nykan Inbound

Postby Amarion on July 23rd, 2015, 11:51 am

Thanks for the welcome! I'm still chipping away at the finer details of my character, but I'll definitely have a CS up sometime in the near future. I'm excited to start writing with you all! :D
Amarion
Player

Character sheet

Nykan Inbound

Postby Noah Amuel on July 23rd, 2015, 2:24 pm

Hi Amarion,

It's nice to see that you're coming to the site and I'm glad that you have educated yourself as such. I'm also happy to see that we can provide somewhere for you to aim your creativity. We need that hear!

To answer you questions on planning, I mostly use Microsoft Word or Excel, or if you don't have access to that, then Google Docs offers both of those programs with some added bonuses. Having a word document in a separate window allows for you easily edit things and upload them here without having to hassle with the edit button on here which can lead to a mess of things sometimes due to the small workspace. I much prefer to work on a document and then transfer it here using copy-pasta.

A word document with the proper headings for all of your ideas works great with your constant stream of ideas. In fact, Google Docs allows for you to attach 'comments' to certain, highlighted sections of your text, so you can plan more thoroughly through the comments with less clutter, I've found.

I hope that helps.

Questions on you:
1. Why got you into Jiu-Jitsu? Muay Thai?
2. Why do you continue to practice them?
3. What'd you major in?
4. Does your job relate to your major? I've found some people that major in one thing don't even go on to use it in their career.
5. Why did you start writing? Was there stress in your life or were you just bursting at the seams with ideas?

Happy writing and if you ever have any questions don't be afraid to approach people! :)
Noah Amuel
Zulrav's Golden Eagle

Words: 295310
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2014, 9:25 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Nykan Inbound

Postby Amarion on July 23rd, 2015, 4:19 pm

Noah Amuel wrote:Hi Amarion,

It's nice to see that you're coming to the site and I'm glad that you have educated yourself as such. I'm also happy to see that we can provide somewhere for you to aim your creativity. We need that hear!

To answer you questions on planning, I mostly use Microsoft Word or Excel, or if you don't have access to that, then Google Docs offers both of those programs with some added bonuses. Having a word document in a separate window allows for you easily edit things and upload them here without having to hassle with the edit button on here which can lead to a mess of things sometimes due to the small workspace. I much prefer to work on a document and then transfer it here using copy-pasta.

A word document with the proper headings for all of your ideas works great with your constant stream of ideas. In fact, Google Docs allows for you to attach 'comments' to certain, highlighted sections of your text, so you can plan more thoroughly through the comments with less clutter, I've found.

I hope that helps.

Questions on you:
1. Why got you into Jiu-Jitsu? Muay Thai?
2. Why do you continue to practice them?
3. What'd you major in?
4. Does your job relate to your major? I've found some people that major in one thing don't even go on to use it in their career.
5. Why did you start writing? Was there stress in your life or were you just bursting at the seams with ideas?

Happy writing and if you ever have any questions don't be afraid to approach people! :)

Hey Noah,

Thanks for the response! I've been using Google Docs to consolidate all of my ideas into documents and it's worked out a lot better than I intended. Regarding each of your questions. . .

1.) The influence came from my stepfather who is a blackbelt in a variation of Jiu-Jitsu (I forget the name of the art but it's a mish mash of Kickboxing, Grappling, etc.)

2.) Martial arts keeps you in shape, and gives you the confidence in knowing that you can defend yourself or someone else if the occasion ever calls for it. Aside from that, it's a lot of fun and the practitioners are very respectful.

3.) I majored in Business Management

4.) My job does relate to my major! I work in the operations department for a small company so it's a lot of data entry, spreadsheets, reporting, etc. but I enjoy what I do!

5.) I came into writing because, when I was younger, it was the best option I had for social gaming. As weird as it sounds, I used roleplaying as a substitute for the things I really wanted to do like play WoW and other popular MMORPGs at the time but I never had an internet connection that could handle it (dial up, satellite, etc.) What I found, though, was that I finally had the opportunity to play those types of games, I found them too limiting, and went back to writing anyways because I fell in love with it as a creative outlet. I've been doing it ever since.

Thanks for the questions!
Amarion
Player

Character sheet

Nykan Inbound

Postby Saej on July 24th, 2015, 2:11 am

Welcome!! I'm sure you'll have a great time on Mizahar. Make sure to give Lhavit a good look through. ;) See you around. Remember everyone is super friendly and willing to help with any questions.
ImageImage
°*·Speaking in Common|¤|Speaking in Nari|¤|Thoughts·*°
Saej
Spiral Out

Words: 103413
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2014, 2:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes