Closed A Risky Return (Nirvesca)

Nirvesca makes her way through Falyndar, discovering its myriad of horrors along the way.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

A Risky Return (Nirvesca)

Postby Traverse on July 17th, 2015, 3:40 pm

The woman's smile disappeared as Nirvesca began speaking, eyes widening in shock. After she finished her first request one of the males let out a guttural growl, and the female drew her sword, studying it closely in the palm of her hand, her free hand slowly forming into a tightening fist.

"You-"

She was interrupted by Nirvesca speaking again, and when the Symenestra was finished with her request, the female looked up, the smile having returned, but it was a smile only in shape, a cruel tweaking to it, and a dangerous anger in the female's eyes.

"You are even more foolish than I first think, Spider. You know nothing of this land, and you will die here knowing nothing." She gave a signal to the archers, and for half a tick, Nirvesca had the sudden realization she was going to die.

Then something massive dislodged itself from high up in the canopy, landing squarely upon the female and the two males, and crushing the life out of them with its bulk.

The creature was by far the largest thing Nirvesca had seen within the jungle at least 40 feet in length, and a deep mottled green. It was a snake, but unlike any snake she had ever witnessed. In the same instant she might have died both archers realized they had more pressing matters and fired two arrows that bounced harmlessly off of the serpent's thick scales. It reared its head, two golden eyes glistening dangerously and a wide head snapped forward, grabbing one of the archers, only their legs hanging out of its mouth, crushing the Myrian's spine then flinging it off into the jungle where the body crashed against a tree trunk with a sickening thunk.

The final archer dropped his bow and gave a howl of rage, drawing two hand axes and sprinting directly towards the snake, heading towards the underside of its neck that was raised slightly in the air as it watched the Myrian fly, clearly pleased with itself.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nirvesca on July 17th, 2015, 11:58 pm

Nirvesca could only stare open mouthed as the savage woman dismissed her pleas and gave the signal for her execution. What had she said wrong? Why was this bitch ordering her death? Was it really all over, just like that? A myriad of emotions shot through her; bewilderment, contempt, sadness, fear, and outrage. It wasn't supposed to end like this. Nirvesca's big adventure had a glorious climax of her returning to Kalinor with Dhani in tow, practically worshiping the ground she strode. Her parents proud of her, her brothers in awe, and she would smile and acknowledge them all despite how foolish they had been. Then of course there would be the prestigious vezanya when she was elevated to high status, the creme de le creme of Webs.

But no, she was the stupid little spider girl who got lost in the jungles and got killed by savages. No fanfare. Not even a proper burial where she could at least be laid to rest in a sexy gossamer gown. Just a pile of leaves for her, and the bugs. Always the bugs. Nirv wanted to weep, to scream, to deny this fate with every shred of her being as if that could somehow change the outcome. Nirvesca closed her eyes, waiting for the arrows to pierce her heart.

But nothing happened. She peeked one eye open and saw something quite unexpected. Something undeniably large and sinuous fell seemingly from the heavens, flatening the stupid woman and her bodyguards under its enormous scaled weight. It was almost too good to be true. Had she imagined all this up? Was she asleep, and this some wild dream? She saw the snake's skin was a dark mottled green. The length of it was hard to fathom, it seemed to coil about the entire area. The proportions were staggering. Nirv laughed gleefully, jumping up and pumping her fist in delight. To her, this snake was a gift from the gods to save her from certain death. The Symnestra settled down a bit with the jumping, her head drumming in protest to remind her she wasn't completely well yet.

Nirvesca watched as the gargantuan snake flung one of the archers high up into the air where his momentum was suddenly halted by a bone-crunching meeting with a tree. She had to wince at that. Turning her amethyst stare from the latest victim to the only remaining savage, she saw he had abandoned his bow and was charging her snake savior howling his rage like a wild animal with twin axes in hand. She was becoming increasingly alarmed that the man might actually do some harm to it as the serpent seemed content with admiring her handiwork and not paying attention to the latest threat.

"Hey Snake Savior! You there! We have company!" She yelled in her sing-song voice, worry evident. When it appeared the giant snake would not react in time, she chose to help out. The willowy Nirvesca hopped up on the massive span of scales, skittering across its smooth surface as she hurried to where the jungle native rushed in. As quickly as she could, the Symenestra raised her bow in mid-sprint and in one fluid motion, nocked an arrow, bent the string taught and upon coming to a stop, loosed! Hopefully her aim was true....

And was she really climbing a snake to help it kill these people? What if the snake decided she was one of them? Nirvesca refused to believe that. She firmly believed that it had come to save her and show her the way to Zinrah.

Any other outcome was foolish nonsense!

Nirvesca
Toxic Explorer

Words: 20308
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 12:33 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Traverse on July 21st, 2015, 5:30 pm

The arrow missed its mark, but only just, taking a piece of flesh from the Myrian male's arm, and halting his charge for an instant as he cried out in pain and surprise, furious eyes darting to Nirvesca. He hauled his uninjured arm back to lob a hand axe at her, but before he could, the serpent's head had returned, repeating the process it had for the first, and snapping his spine before this time flinging his body up into the canopy, where it got stuck on its way back down to the ground between several branches.

A shifting of scales sent Nirvesca teetering, her hold to surfaces otherwise steady as the snake's coils drew together in a circle, dumping Nirvesca into the middle of them, a massive head rotating around and eyeing her with large yellow orbs. The voice that came out of the serpent's throat was deep and undulating, and somewhat hard to make out with the thick sibilant accent that coated every word.

"I don't often agree with the barbarian monkeysss, but you do obvioussly know nothing, ssspider. Tell me why you thought a Myrian fang, the greatesst enemy of the Dhani race, would bring you to our doorssstep, and tell me why you wish to go to our fair city in the firssst place." It's maw opened to reveal two massive fangs, and a mouth filled with small razor sharp teeth perefect ofr eviscerating its prey. "If I like your ansswersss, I shall not conssume you ass an afternoon ssnack." A rumbling chuckle that vibrated through the serpent's entire body followed it's little threat. The Symenestra was surrounded by dark thick walls of scales, a living cage to serve as her interrogation chamber.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nirvesca on July 26th, 2015, 2:11 am

Her arrow was slightly off target, only managing to graze the savage's arm. "Oh damn!" She exclaimed, eyes widening as her brave maneuver had rather foolishly deflected the ax wielding man's attention from the very capable and massive snake, to her. Furious eyes latched onto her and she saw him begin the dreadful motion that would deliver one of those rather wicked axes toward her in a decidedly violent coming together. Before Nirvesca could cry out to the serpent for help or nock another arrow, the snake whipped forward, engulfing the man's torso in the sharp iron-grip of its distended mouth, forcing the man's body into a most awkward position which resulted in a most awful crack of bone. Nirvesca lifted her gaze skyward for a second time, her attention focused on the hurtling man who tumbled wildly from branch to branch before snagging on yet another, and staying put. Droplets of blood rained down on she and the serpent. The Symenestra grinned impishly, licking clean a spot on her arm. "Oh that was wonderful!" she squealed in delight. "We did it!"

So into her victory dance, Nirvesca didn't notice her sinuous companion's intent of putting the 'squeeze' on her. Shifting coils suddenly forced her off her perch and tossed her into an interrogation chamber of sorts. The scaled prison rose high above her, the canopy blotted out by a humongous reptilian head that swerved in to gaze upon her with yellow eyes that didn't appear quite as friendly as she remembered them.

"Hey! What's the big idea? I thought we were a team!" she said, amethyst eyes squinting up at the Dhani. She was really kicking herself for not running away when she had the chance. Still, it seemed apropos for her to come across a Dhani at such a critical moment. She was nearly sure this was her ticket to Zinrah. Likely her best and only chance of finding the elusive city in the endless tapestry of vines and trees.

Her serpent captor spoke then, in a sibilant sway of sentences that basically confirmed what the barbarian woman had said. She was a foolish little spider who knew nothing of the jungle ways and those that resided there. But unlike before, Nirvesca gained useful information from the Dhani. Apparently the dead warriors had been Myrians! That did indeed make sense. The Symnestra cursed herself for not making the connection. Nirvesca assumed Myrians made enemies of everyone and did not realize that there might be a more personal feud going on between the two groups. She really didn't know much about the Dhani at all. That was really the whole point for her visit, to conduct an intellectual gleaning that would end all ignorance.

Nirvesca decided to be truthful. There really wasn't anything to be gained by lying now. And after that last hissed threat it was abundantly clear her life could very well be hanging by the words she chose to tell. What if she was duplicitous and the Dhani detected it? She gulped at the thought. All she could do was hope her mission was a good enough reason for the Dhani not to eat her.

Nirvesca took a deep breath and calmed down. Peering up at the Dhani, her chin held high and her bearing proud. "I fear my people are ignorant of matters here, O' great one," she began, deciding a little buttering up couldn't hurt and besides, she knew not how to address her captor. "Tis why I have come in search of your glorious city. My name is Nirvesca Hemlock, I am a Symenestra explorer from Kalinor. My mission is to find Zinrah and meet with your people so that we can share talents and knowledge that could prove vital for both our races. My people call this an intellectual harvest. It is quite important, I assure you. Please, O' great one, I mean no harm to your people. My only objective is to learn and if your leaders are willing, it is also my hope to eventually bring an emissary of your people back to Kalinor to return the favor. Oh and please don't eat me. I am highly toxic and would only end up giving you a truly lethal case of indigestion," she said, the last part with a beatific smile on her pretty pale face.

Nirvesca
Toxic Explorer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Traverse on July 31st, 2015, 2:30 am

There was a long thoughtful pause after Nirvesca explained herself, the serpent's maw drawing nearly closed but for a jet black tongue which tasted the air, as if perhaps to detect any lies she might throw its way.

After half a chime of silence the rumbling chuckle that the Symenestra could feel through the ground she stood upon resumed, and suddenly the world around her transformed. At first it seemed that the Dhani was pulling away its tail, releasing her from confinement, but this was not exactly true, for after about ten ticks she realized the tail was actually drawing more tightly around her form, as the Dhani in question shrank. Within another 30 ticks Nirvesca found herself suspended in several lengths of coils that were very carefully pressed against her. The Dhani seemed to know how fragile its charge was, for the Symenestra was tightly bound, but felt no pain that might snap her weak bone structure.

Before her the Dhani had grown two arms, and though still massive in length, was about half the size of the previously gargantuan serpent, with silver and charcoal patterning leading from its scalp to slowly dissolve into the rest of its ebony coils.

"Intellectual Harvessst. That sssoundsss utterly drawl. You know we sstopped caring about ssspiderss when you fled from under Myri'sss heel centuriesss ago, no one will be interesssted in sharing knowledge, leasst of all our Queen."

The Dhani cocked its head to side, drawing one clawed finger beneath Nirvesca's proud chin. "I will take you to Zinrah, ass long ass you do not fall behind or pesster me overly much." With that the coils loosened and Nirvesca was dropped unceremoniously to the ground, the Dhani gliding off smoothly through the jungle. "And do not tempt me to test your threat, if I can digest those awful Myrian Monkeysss, you are no culinary challenge."

And with that the Dhani disappeared behind some foliage, keeping a quick and relentless pace that Nirvesca would soon find was the only speed at which the serpent traveled.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nirvesca on July 31st, 2015, 5:06 am

Nirvesca didn't particularly like the quiet time she had to suffer through while the serpent came to a decision on whether or not to eat her. She wasn't even sure if eating her would bother it one bit. Even if it did, knowing the snake had an upset tummy seemed small consolation indeed. Then came a rumbling laugh that sounded more ominous than humorous in her book. It appeared she was going to be dinner after all. Really, getting shot with arrows seemed not such a bad way to go after all when compared to taking a trip through the reptile's digestive track. Nirvesca really hoped she wasn't remotely alive when all that transpired.

Just when the spider was feeling light headed and ready to shudder due to the shifting and increased pressure to her body, the snake transformed, lessening in size and sprouting arms and a faintly humanoid upperbody. Nirv squeezed her eyes shut, mentally preparing herself for the torturous compression. Then the Dhani spoke again, confessing that neither it or its people cared one fig about her silly intellectual harvest. Getting eaten was one thing, but now the snake was just being down right rude! Her eyes flew open and look of indigance stamped her countenance. "I'll have you know, I didn't flee anywhere. And I'd like to talk to this queen of yours...." Nirvesca quickly clamped her mouth shut and realized that despite the Dhani's uncaring attitude, it was actually allowing her to live! That wasn't even the best part of the deal. It was going to show her the way to Zinrah!

She was released and promptly dropped to the jungle floor, landing more gracefully than perhaps the snake intended. Still, she didn't mind the rough treatment. Nirvesca was positively beaming! Overjoyed that she wasn't going to die and all her dreams still had every chance to become reality. Nirv slung her bow over shoulder and gathered up her belongings. "Oh thank you! Yes of course. You won't have to worry about tha-" The Symnestra stopped mid-sentence, realizing her guide had already slithered out of sight. Luckily, she saw a bit of foilage flutter and hurried to catch up. "I'm coming! Hey wait up!" She hollered, moving as brisk as she could.

It wouldn't do to get lost all over again. Not when things were finally going her way!

Nirvesca
Toxic Explorer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Traverse on August 5th, 2015, 7:10 pm

The first day of travel tested the limits of Nirvesca's endurance. Though she had made good time through the jungle in her own right, it had been a new and treacherous place, with dangers lurking around every corner. Now that she was trailing behind her massive Dhani companion, it seemed at least a part of those dangers had no affect upon her with her ebony bodyguard.

The pace her 'savior' kept, however was brutal and fast, the type of speed that only a massive snake can keep. That being said if she tried to call out and get the Dhani to slow, the serpent showed no signs of hearing or caring, so the Symenestra had no choice but to keep up.

It was beyond dark when she bumped into the motionless coils of her companion. "You are very slow for sssomething that iss ssuppossed to be nimble and fasst." Remarked the Dhani. "I musst go and hunt, fill my belly, you should remain here, perhapss take shelter in the treess asss I susspect you have been doing, I will return...shortly."

Without waiting for a reply the shadowy Dhani swept off into the jungle.

Whether or not Nirvesca heeded the snake's words of advice, it returned about a bell later, two small silhouettes of some kind of mammal hanging out of its maw. First they were dropped upon the ground, then one was promptly swallowed. The second the Dhani ran clawed fingers across idly. "Can you conssume meat or have you already fed yourssself, spider?" Wherever Nirvesca was at present the Dhani's golden eyes found her with their helpful infrared vision.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nirvesca on August 7th, 2015, 6:51 am

Nirvesca's requests for breaks fell upon deaf ears. "Might....we...take....a breather, Mr. Savior?" she panted with no response.

"Perhaps.....now...would...be...a nice....time....to...rest........up,"
she wheezed. Nothing remotely resembling verbal commiseration was issued.

"Hey...........you! Snake......person...........Stop!" She gasped. The Dhani kept on slithering.

She inwardly heckled her old self who had thought herself tired. She obviously knew nothing. She was ignorant to the joys of being utterly bone weary, starved, and lungs that burned from overexertion and exhaustion. The little spider's feet had at least gone numb from endless miles of jungle pounding and that improved her mood significantly since she could no longer feel the vexing pain of her blisters and cuts. Her amethyst eyes focused ahead, keeping the fast serpent always in sight.

She had long ago given up remarking on the terrain. It was purely survival now. Every word uttered was vital energy and air lost. A sort of madness had begun to influence her thoughts as the shadows lengthened into afternoon. She imagined herself never having gotten out of her bed of branches that morning. That this had all been some fever dream. And in her dream she saw herself running for days, then weeks, even years. Parts of the jungle began to grow upon her person. Vines became her clothes, leaves from the trees formed her flesh and the canopy was her hair. She let out a croak of laughter at that. But soon all thoughts faded from her mind. All she could do was keep moving one foot in front of the other. Either she would, or she would collapse. Nirv would have put her money on the latter.

After what felt like an interminable time running, the large black Dhani got strangely bigger and then just as her tired mind was sluggishly attempting to formulate an understanding of proximity, she promptly slammed into it. She lay on a bed of leaves, peering up at the canopy, mouth open and sucking in mouthfuls of delicious air, her chest heaving. Nirv didn't even care if she had bruised herself on impact. She didn't really care about anything except that they had finally halted. The Dhani made some smart remark about how she was slow as a slug and no self-respecting Symenestra could be slower than she. Normally she would retort with something satisfyingly tart. But that required effort. She did manage to stick her tongue out though and that truly felt like an accomplishment.

When she could finally sit up and take note of her surroundings she saw that her savior had left her all alone in the middle of the jungle. The noises of the jungle which she had grown accustom to, played out all around her. She felt exposed and defenseless and the melody was not a welcoming tune. Taking the Dhani's advice, she wandered over to the closest tree available and took her time scaling it to relative safety. She stretched out uncomfortably over the decidedly knobby bough and turned onto her side to keep some sort of vigil on things earthward. Nirv could easily nod off, but if she did, she wouldn't put it past the Dhani to leave her to fend for herself. And curse that! She didn't go running all that way only to give up now. Still, she was very tired and hungry. So hungry in fact, her belly was keeping up with the symphony around her quite nicely.

Her eyes flew open upon hearing the hissing voice of her companion. She had dozed off. How long she wondered? Then she forgot all else when she saw the Dhani had been quite successful on its hunt. Some manner of mammal hung limply from the snake's maw. She hurried down the tree, quite recklessly really, and stood a bit wobbly before the Dhani. "Yes I do. Eat meat that is. It just takes us a bit longer to bring the meal to a digestible state," she admitted, licking her lips, canines elongating hungrily at the prospect of a filling meal for a change. "May I?" she inquired, delicate hands reaching for the offering with feigned patience.

Nirvesca
Toxic Explorer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Traverse on November 5th, 2015, 1:35 am

The Dhani nodded slowly, with a single claw she sliced the body of the creature in half, giving the torso and back legs to Nirvesca. "Now a lengthy digesstion processs I can undersstand." She set the other half aside and slithered backwards somewhat, her visage obscured from the Symenestra's view. If Nirvesca took the time to watch she could see her form shrinking, disappearing into the shadows of the evening. Approximately 30 ticks later, a tall thickly muscled woman with long dark hair, its color impossible to determine in the darkness, stepped back out towards her.

She sat down cross legged in front of Nirvesca, and began ripping apart the front half of her kill and eating it raw, observing the method in which Nirvesca would be consuming and digesting the meat she was given. "I will go ssslower tomorrow, ssso you do not die before we reach Zinrah..." She chuckled and cracked one of the legs she had, gnawing on it thoughtfully. "But we musst sstill make good time, to be caught by Myriansss, ass weak and pathetic asss they are by themsselvess, can posse a great problem once we get closser to the blockade, where there are ssso many."

She cocked her head to the side. "What ssstoriess do the ssspiderss of Kalinor sspeak of about the junglesss of Falyndar?" Though Nirvesca was most likely unaware, her captor had never been outside Falyndar, as many of its inhabitants, both Dhani and Myrians had not. Just as stories surrounding the dangerous jungle were shrouded in mystery, so too were the lives of those outside of it to those within. Already she had learned some of the Symenestra's skewed ideas of the jungle, and curiosity fueled her desire to learn more.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Nirvesca on November 8th, 2015, 9:24 am

Nirv was never a very bulky Symenestra. The harsh lifestyle of the jungle and lack of eating had claimed any curve her body once had. She even failed to fill out the chitin armor that draped her figure. Thus she happily went about the chore of eating the generous offering. Nirvesca murmured something unintelligible when the Dhani returned. No comment issued on the metamorphosis of her savior. She was far too busy sinking her fangs systematically into the flesh of the carcass. Transmitting the toxins that would turn the solid meat into a soup in which her body could handle. It was slow going, but very much worth the effort. The spider had not had anything this amazing to eat in quite some time. After a few indulgent slurps and another few ecstatic moans of delight, she looked to her savior..... and blinked.

At least it was her savior. A dark haired brute of a woman seemed to have taken its place. Nirv was startled for a moment and half-stood before realizing that it was what Dhani did. Shape-changers. Nirv returned to her seat of leaves and peered at the woman across from her for long moments. It was astonishing that anyone could alter their bodies. It fascinated the Symenestra. She studied her between licks and suckles of animal broth. "Does it hurt?" The transformation I mean. Does it hurt you in any way?" She asked. "Do you prefer to eat your food in human form? How soon can Dhani...hatchlings change their forms?" Nirv had an endless supply of questions for her savior it appeared. But she wisely clamped her mouth shut when it began to vex on the Dhani.

If there was any question to the identity of the woman, all doubts vanished when the woman rather brusquely recommended they should slow their pace a bit to avoid the potential problem of her dying. Nirvesca didn't know quite how to respond to that. So she said nothing at all. Merely sipped more juice and pondered the Dhani's next statement. The thought that there were more Myrians truly terrified her. She didn't know where the Dhani meant by the blockade, but she thought it wise for them to avoid the place all together. The savage warriors may have been weak and pathetic to the snake-lady, but they had just been about to conduct the business of executing her before the Dhani had saved her life.

Her savior surprised her with a curious question of her own. What stories did her people tell of Falyndar and its jungles. "Not many," she admitted. Contemplating it for a moment whilst she injected more poison into the hind quarters of the animal. "Mostly the Symenestra say it is an uncivilized area with too much senseless bickering and fighting," she said honestly. Wisely leaving out the more callused references: barbaric and stupid. Nirv drank more of the protein-rich nectar. Closing her eyes and simply enjoying the feel of it slide down her throat.

"My parents actually thought it a foolish idea, this quest for mine," she said in a small voice. It hurt her when they had said such a thing before. It stung even more now to realize they had probably been right. "I just wanted to do something brave. Accomplish something worthy of praise. I do think your jungles are beautiful." Nirv added with a wry smile. That much was true. Despite the hardships she had endured in the jungles of Falyndar, there had been a liberating sense of doing something on her own. In a foreign place. She took pride in that and it showed on her gaunt pale face.

Nirvesca
Toxic Explorer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext