Business, Jobs, and Slave questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Min-Kyoung Park on October 17th, 2015, 2:57 am

Hi again, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for income so I can finalize my character design. So I had a few questions about businesses, jobs, and slaves.

Firstly, are slaves prominent / frowned upon in Mizahar? I read that there were restrictions based on cities but I'm curious as to whether they're actually used or not in the cities that allow them. By this I mean used by PCs.

Secondly, on the slavery page, it states that slaves can be used to generate income for the owner. To my limited understanding, this means they would have their own job thread and/or they would count as a 'free' employee in a business. I would appreciate some input on this matter since I couldn't find any information about this.

Lastly, are business plans modifiable as time goes on? Taking on new employees, gaining skill mastery (increasing income), etc. are along the lines of what I was thinking of.

Again, thanks for your time! With this information I should be able to get started :)
Min-Kyoung Park
Player

Words: 2320
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Orin Fenix on October 17th, 2015, 3:53 am

I'll take a stab at this and please, if I'm wrong at any point, someone please step in to correct me. First off, unless otherwise stated in the city's lore, slavery is allowed, and if not outright celebrated, at least allowed. In fact, I'd say that the cities which don't allow slavery in some form are in the minority. The slave trade and the presence of slaves is supposed to be fairly widespread. As to being a slave or owning one (or more), the way it works is that slave don't pay their own upkeep. Rather, the owner is responsible for paying for everything related to that slave. So instead of paying the wages of an employee, you're paying for the living expenses of the slave if you're the owner. And if you're a slave your owner either has to pay your expenses or you starve to death (or they'd be forced to sell you off or set you free). I'm not sure what level of living expenses you'd have to pay for a slave, but if it's for your business, I'd imagine that the better you treat your slaves the better work they'll be able to do.

As to business plans, I'm far from an expert, but as far as I'm aware they are not only allowed to change, they are actively encouraged to evolve over time. Gaining income through gaining skill levels is a part of it, but also secondary and tertiary skills have recently been allowed to be added to a business. If the business owner is a master of their skill and has owned the business for a year then they are allowed to add a secondary skill, usually related to the primary one, to their business. And then a year after that, if they've mastered the secondary skill, they can add a tertiary skill. The only downside to that is that you have to do additional job threads (one for secondary and one for tertiary). I think all this information should all be available somewhere in either the business plan subforum.

As to smaller changes in the business plan, those are probably subject to review and approval from both Gillar and your local ST. Hope this all helped!
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Min-Kyoung Park on October 17th, 2015, 4:27 am

Sounds good, thank you for your time! I think everything was explained sufficiently :)
Min-Kyoung Park
Player

Words: 2320
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2015, 5:44 pm
Character sheet