Hello hello!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Hello hello!

Postby Hubtare on February 9th, 2016, 7:20 pm

So, bit nervous to finally get into things here. I'm very new to this sort of rp-ing, and ended up here by a weird series of semi-unrelated events.
(Went looking for a new single player rpg -> Tried to find a more rp-active mmorpg -> Tried and failed at finding a local D&D group -> Heard about online collaborative storytelling -> Found a list of online rp forums -> Finally found this site)

Honestly what really attracted me here was the fact that there's a Lore button right at the top. I absolutely love diving into the lore of a universe, which is what's delayed me from actually getting started for so long. I can't even tell you how many tabs I've got open even now.

But here it is, step one, so Hi!! :D
Nervousness aside I am pumped to join in here. I have written in a roleplay style of sorts before, but never with other people like this, so I do hope I'm not too terribly disappointing. If nothing else I am extremely ready and willing to learn from my mistakes, though I'm very much trying to avoid making many in the first place. I've been combing through all the guides and lists and pages I can here, but wow is there a lot, so while I'm trying my best not to overlook anything too major, please forgive me if I do! I've gathered a few questions so far, but I've seen there's a QA forum specific for that so I'll be headed there once I get my thoughts all organized.

If anyone does have some quick tips for a noob though, be it about forum roleplay stuff in general or specific to Mizahar, I will most definitely take all the advice I can get. :)

[Edit] Sorry, I do have one question I will put here really quick. If I have a bunch of small unrelated lore-specific questions, what would be the best way to ask them? One post on the QA forum with the separate questions in a list? Or somewhere else entirely?
Hubtare
Player

Words: 20326
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2016, 6:43 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Hello hello!

Postby Kelski on February 9th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Welcome!

Hey, how about a name and you tell us more about yourself?

My quick noob tip is make a few ooc rp friends (maybe hang out in chat?) and start threading with veteran players to help you learn the ropes. Read all the lores on your character's race and the city you pick to start playing in. Then understand you will make some mistakes but be brave about it and write anyhow.

If you're in Lhavit, I'll thread with you.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Hello hello!

Postby Kelski on February 9th, 2016, 7:26 pm

You can ask questions here, the Q&A forum, or even in chat. Anything works really.
They laugh at me because I am different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Painted Sky Jewelry (The Wildlands) | Crossroads Jewelry (The Outpost)
Kelski
Freedom is earned. Fight for it.

Words: 2015452
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2014, 11:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)

Hello hello!

Postby Hubtare on February 9th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Hello!

And sorry, wow, I guess that wasn't exactly much in the way of an introduction. I'll try that again.
Hi, I'm Claire, but I tend to go by Clarity (a dumb joke from grade school that ended up sticking around). Like I sort of hinted, I love games, especially rpgs, and especially those with a big focus on their own universe of lore. I'm that weirdo who spends like 80% of their time playing just reading the in game text stuff. Over the years I've been dabbling into web development and some other misc coding stuff. I love the ocean. I think spiders are cool, but I am paralyzingly afraid of cockroaches. Oh, and I play the lute-kulele. I do not play it well. But I do play it.
Hubtare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Hello hello!

Postby Elysium on February 9th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Hi Claire!

Welcome to our lovely website! First of all, what on earth is a lute-kulele? That's so cool, I've never even heard of it. I too spend lots of time just reading the lore to any game and I'm a huge RPG need myself. You might've guessed! ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message. Especially if you're in Lhavit!

Hearts!

Ellie
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Hello hello!

Postby Hubtare on February 9th, 2016, 8:55 pm

This is a lute-kulele. The picture isn't mine, but that's what mine looks like. Basically it's a tenor ukelele, but with a shape and two doubled strings like a lute. They sound really cool, but they can be difficult to get used to holding because of the odd shape.

It is really exciting to see other people so dedicated to lore! Like I said that was a huge factor of choosing to check out this site.

I'm still not entirely set on a city yet, but I am getting there. I do have some of the questions I had a bit more organized now though, so I'll set them here for now, and probably heed your advice, Kelski, and poke my head into chat some time later. :)

1. Am I correct in believing that the character name I currently have (Hubtare) would be, in Arumenic, pronounced Hoom-tshah-ray? Or would the subtle b/m rule make it more like Hoomb-tshah-ray, creating an issue with the mb being directly followed by a t sound?
  2. Is there somewhere I can learn more about the justice system in Ahnatep, specifically about the dungeons mentioned to be located in The Courtyard of Jackals?
  3. Does anyone have advice for finding character images? Looking through a lot of existing character sheets and posts I've recognized quite a few of them as "famous" people, but aside from those, is there a common place to look for the right image to represent your character?
  4. Reading through the lore and some past questions in the QA forum, I understand the worship or "following" of Gods is not standardized, in that some Gods have a following of cults, some have actual structure and locations, and some have only a much more loose following. For those that do have a structure of sorts, I read that those who are to make a living through religion are primarily individuals with priest-like roles whose stature and pay largely depends on Gnosis marks.
    With all this in mind, is it possible, or I suppose "allowed?" for a character (without a Gnosis mark) to sort of donate or volunteer their time to a particular religious... institution? Structure? Location? With no expectations of pay? Like for example for someone to have an actual job but to spend their evenings/spare time helping around at or simply learning at a temple? In an "I'm trying to better myself by dedicating time that I can in service or learning" sort of way?
Hubtare
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes