OOC Info Pavi Discussion!!!

What words do you want to see added?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Endrykas' Development Forum. Any and all OOC discussions, development projects, and silliness are contained within.

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Prophet on April 1st, 2016, 2:39 am

Here's the list that I had approved.

Use this thread as a place to discuss adding new words, phrases, etc. If enough favor gets sited on a single term, I may add it.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on April 1st, 2016, 3:15 am

Three words come to mind at the moment. You have terms for mother, father, sister, brother, son, and daughter. I'd like to see one for baby as well.

The other two that came to mind would be strider, and horse. With as important as both are to the Drykas, I'd love to see pavi words created for them.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Wikus on April 1st, 2016, 11:14 am

I've roleplayed a couple of times a gesture that I think it can be added.

...he’d perform two silent claps and with the right hand gesturing an approach with his fingers. The expression was a rather odd one, its meaning being a rough ‘words welcome’ Drykas used to state they could speak, used mostly during hunts.

The idea behind is the leader of a hunt party, for example, signaling his fellow Drykas that they may speak or use the vocal parts of Pavi, as I imagined the Glassland Sign is used a ton during hunts as its only gestures. So whenever they were free to break the stealth, this gesture could be used.
Wikus
It burns when I pee!

Words: 377704
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Ixzo on April 1st, 2016, 3:24 pm

Just going to post this here so I can ask a follow up question.

Ixzo wrote:Although, I have a question about the Pavi. I see words for family relations and then some slang and deragatory terms, but I was wondering about endearing terms? Are the terms of family members used to address friends and people around them in a kind way, and that is why there is informal vs. formal? Or are those words just missing? I guessed the former, although I just wanted to make sure before I start using them like that. xD

Prophet wrote:Ixzo-

In regards to your terms of endearment, anything listed as 'informal' is somewhat in that category like the difference between Father and Daddy, etc.

Seriously, folks. Explore the discussion thread. Let's see what comes out of it!

-Prophet

Do Drykas apply these to even those they are not related to. Such as, would two close girlfriends refer to each other as Mana? Or would a younger man refer to any older man or woman as Patro or Matrin out of respect?

And another question based off of Wikus' question: Will we have common hand signs as well (aka: can we make those)? Such as hello/goodbye as well as descriptions and emotions that are commonplace to add to a sentence?
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Words: 524570
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2015, 5:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Prophet on April 1st, 2016, 11:58 pm

Seirei Dawnwhisper wrote:Three words come to mind at the moment. You have terms for mother, father, sister, brother, son, and daughter. I'd like to see one for baby as well.

The other two that came to mind would be strider, and horse. With as important as both are to the Drykas, I'd love to see pavi words created for them.

Baby, strider, horse- I can see those being used frequently. I am not going to add any just yet because I want to see where this discussion goes first.

Wikus wrote:I've roleplayed a couple of times a gesture that I think it can be added. The idea behind is the leader of a hunt party, for example, signaling his fellow Drykas that they may speak or use the vocal parts of Pavi, as I imagined the Glassland Sign is used a ton during hunts as its only gestures. So whenever they were free to break the stealth, this gesture could be used.

Ixzo wrote:And another question based off of Wikus' question: Will we have common hand signs as well (aka: can we make those)? Such as hello/goodbye as well as descriptions and emotions that are commonplace to add to a sentence?

I would like to avoid attaching a physical description to signs. Most people just throw the word in italics to indicate its use and others say things like "his fingers bent to form the sign for thank you", etc. This thread is mainly to give commonly used words a verbal assignment in our unique language.

Ixzo wrote:Do Drykas apply these to even those they are not related to. Such as, would two close girlfriends refer to each other as Mana? Or would a younger man refer to any older man or woman as Patro or Matrin out of respect?

I can see these being common trends. I have no issues with it.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Azmere on April 2nd, 2016, 10:59 am

What about some phrases?

-Stubborn as a Zibri
-The Web only knows

These are just ideas. I think the Drykas culture would have a lot of idioms.
Attn: GradersObservation is maxed. Thank you for all your hard work.

where do you go when you don't know who you are?
Azmere
Seeker of the Lost

Words: 754081
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2015, 11:57 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Colt on April 9th, 2016, 1:46 am

It's mentioned in the racial lore that homosexuality is very highly frowned upon because of the need to procreate. I imagine that because it's looked down on, being called gay would be deeply insulting. Could we get an offensive slur for that purpose? Although it says that bisexuality is not too uncommon among wives of the same man, so I'm not sure it would have the same effect on women as it would men.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Prophet on April 10th, 2016, 9:20 pm

Additions:

Baby
Strider
Horse
Zibri-head
The Web only knows

I did not add the homosexual insult. That's too easy for someone to abuse or for someone to be offended by it and we don't need that kind of drama. I do agree with you Shahar but I hope you understand my reasoning.

-Prophet
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Office
Scrapbook

Pavi Discussion!!!

Postby Naiya on April 27th, 2016, 1:46 am

Perhaps instead of falling toward questioning their sexual orientation, but along the same line, there would be derogatory terms for "Childless", especially in reference to an inability to have children?
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Next