Shadows Grow So Long Before My Eyes (Izuyanai)

Izuyanai and James Chaliva meet.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Gossamer on September 11th, 2016, 2:27 am

Timestamp Early Fall 516 AV

James was frustrated.

His guitar lay out on a table that should have held items for sale and was noticeably missing a string. It was a gorgeous rosewood instrument that gleamed even in the afternoon light. It had a beautiful body and neck that gleamed deep red. It's headstock was of a darker wood, possibly ironwood or something similar. The frets were made of some sort of silver wire that ran across the fingerboard’s width. They enable strings to be ‘shortened’ by pressing the string down behind them, but to lengths that correspond to exact half notes. Five strings gleamed pure in the sunshine, but the sixth string was in pieces on the table. Broken and definitely too short to be used again.

He was at his Mercantile and doing his utter best to replace a guitar string with.... nothing. He hadn't noticed he'd ran out of strings. They were definitely something he should have kept on hand, especially for his own needs, but the list of the needs of others sometimes grew so long that when he sailed for the more populated shores - namely Riverfall - he most often forgot his own needs in favor of the 'request' list he always took with him to resupply the new settlement.

The last string he broke he had the fortune of scavenging a whole string from another peg and just cut it shorter and made it work. Now, however, there were no more scavenge opportunities. And there was decidedly nothing he knew about in Syka that would make a good string. Cat gut was the best thing and so far there were no cats about that James knew about. Perhaps another animal would do. He'd have to cut gut out and dry it, a skill James just didn't have.

"I hate this..." He muttered. "I always forget about my own needs on these shopping trips. Strings, by the Gods... how could I forget strings?" He shook his head disgusted at himself and looked around again.

Surely there was something he could use. Nothing stood out however, and he sighed softly. He felt half naked without his guitar fully functional. Half naked indeed.

Anyone entering the Mercantile would see him and his frustration as an almost tangible aura around him.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Izuyanai on September 14th, 2016, 12:48 pm

A little bit of asking around on Izuyanai's part revealed that the Mercantile would be the best place for someone looking to start a new business. It made sense that a general store would have the connections and advice necessary, concerning the matter. That was why she strolled in with the fading light of the sun, her head bent over a scribbled list. What she needed was an approved location, as well as the materials required to set up the establishment. It wouldn't hurt to have a few helpers, but Izuyanai already had a few ideas and a few favors owed.

Busy going over the last few lines on the scrap of paper, she didn't immediately notice the distressed proprietor who was mourning his unstrung instrument. She only looked up to take stock of her surroundings when she felt the edge of a fraying aura spiking into her own. Half formed emotions raced through the canvas of thought and something similar to anger bled in large splotches across the otherwise intricately layered aura.

The scene that jumped into her eyes spoke volumes. Izuyanai studied the man who looked hopelessly at the strangely familiar instrument and the snapped string that lay next to it. Though the silent instrument was a much more elegant creation, it looked similar to the one she had witnessed in Lhavit. Back in the tavern, the musician had strummed along the strings for music, and therefore Izuyanai supposed that a broken one was no good. This realization made her hesitate, as from experience, the raven knew that favors and deals were more likely to go smoothly when both parties were content. If the shopkeeper at the table was in a bad mood, it was questionable as to how attentive he would be to her. However, that was only if Izuyanai couldn't spin the predicament in her favor.

"Are you having trouble?" she said, a slight smile laced into her voice. She stepped closer to the table and peering more carefully at the instrument. "It's such a beautiful thing. It's not broken is it?"
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 17th, 2016, 5:53 pm

James turned and looked up, noting the woman's entrance into the Merchantile. She was a lovely thing, strong, and silent. He'd taken note when she'd arrived at the settlement because Randal had said something about it. But so far, none of them had talked to her or even made introductions. He was curious about her because lone women were rare. Usually they were with someone or traveled in groups. This one seemed to be on her own.

He smiled, wiped his hands on a small polishing cloth he seemed to have laying near the guitar, and then ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "It's an old story. I forgot to get spare strings last time I took a run with The Veronica to Riverfall for supplies. Guitars wear out their strings fairly easily if someone plays them a lot and I do. I was just trying to see if I could make something work until the next time I took a trade trip, probably in the Winter." He said, smiling and moving towards her.

James extended his hand to shake hers and offered her an introduction. "Captain James Chaliva at your service. What can I help you with today? You don't happen to have any spare guitar strings in your pocket do you? They'd be worth a lot of gold, especially today." He said, his blue eyes twinkling with good humor. He obviously had been frustrated with the guitar, but that frustration didn't seem to translate over to his interaction with the new woman.

"I hope you are here to stay..." He added after first giving Izuyanai a chance to respond to his question and introduction. "We could use a little balance. For the longest time its just been myself, Mathias, and Randal. We could use another face to look at around. It's a bonus if you an sing. We are all something of musicians." He added wondering if he'd get lucky and she'd be a lovely soprano or maybe even an alto to go with the rest of their deeper voices.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on September 20th, 2016, 12:50 pm

The man stepped toward her, introducing himself as Captain James Chaliva. The raven saw that he had distinct blue eyes and an easy smile that caused them to shine charmingly. Perhaps Izuyanai had been wrong about his sour mood, though he still seemed to be in need of new materials.

“Izuyanai,” she returned, reaching out to clasp his hand, going through the motions of human customs. “Pleased to meet you. Unfortunately, I don’t have any musical equipment with me that might help you. But you can be sure that I’ll bring you any if I make a discovery. Hopefully they’ll still be worth as much gold then,” she added with the hint of a smile.

Eyes lighting up appreciatively at the subtle way James paid his compliments, Izuyanai listened to him list off what seemed to be two other friends. She herself had never been much of a musician, but she had picked up quite a few local tunes during her time in Lhavit and taken in a few exotic pieces played at the tavern. Few people would consider the raven a songbird, but Izuyanai knew she had an ear for rhythm. Hearing the performance of James and the others might be a treat for sometime.

“I’d like to properly meet, this Mathias and Randal, but from the sound of it, I don’t think my level of singing will be able to keep up in your group. I’m curious though, what kind of music do you play? If you’d like, I know of a few melodies that you might find interesting.”

His words reminded her of the matter at hand and Izuyanai twirled the scrap of paper in her hand.

“Yes, I’ll be around quite a while,” Izuyanai confirmed. “In fact, that was why I came to the Mercantile today. I heard this was the place to inquire about setting up a business? I have some experience with taverns, and seeing as there are none around, as of yet…” she trailed off.

“I was hoping for a loan and a place to set up. I would be grateful for any advice you have about running a business in these parts, as well. With some work, Syka won’t have to worry about meals and drink supply.”
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 2nd, 2016, 4:11 pm

James had an easy smile and he was not stingy with it, at least not for the girl before him. He nodded to her words and then shook his head as if to refute what she said. "Oh, its no worry that you have no instruments. But if you do find something, of course its of value. We've found many artifacts here on this site just building homes and clearing jungle for trails. It's interesting, it is, how the jungle has reclaimed what we think was at one time a large populated area." He added, nodding to the green that even now surrounded the open-aired mercantile.

"We don't judge on someone's singing. If they are willing to sing or play, we enjoy it all the more. There's something to be said for a new face, a new voice and that's an even more positive thing if the face and voice bring new melodies. I'm a fair hand at a few instruments and if you've ever the notion to learn I can teach you." He added, knowing he'd already be questioning her and asking her for any tunes she might have. Their library of music was limited and they were always willing to expand it.

"I am a singer primarily, but I also play the guitar. I can manage just about every stringed instrument there is, though with any skill is in doubt. One of the newest folks here just brought an Oud and I'm a little eager to try it out as well. It looks like a very round lute and has a very sweet distinct voice."
James rattled on, liking to talk about his favorite topic being the bard that he was.

That didn't mean, however, that he wouldn't switch over to the reason that drew her into the mercantile itself. "A tavern? We'd love to have one. Do you envision rooms to rent out as well or perhaps just a large bar and a small selection of food?" He asked, then launched into his pitch. Yes, he had a pitch, and it was one he provided for all the inhabitants that wandered into his preview.

"So the deal is we are offering free land. 5 acres to be exact, wherever you'd like so long as no one else has spoken for it. I can loan you up to a couple of thousand mizas to get started, though I doubt you'd need that much here. Randal helps build places so he can get his team together and help you put up a suitable abode for the business you want and I can add your needs to my supply list runs when I go once a season. I've already gone this season though so unless the need really builds up..."
He looked longingly at his broken guitar which might lead someone like Izuyanai to think a second trip this season wouldnt' break his heart. "... I will hold off until the first of winter to get supplies at Riverfall." He added.

"So you cook? And mix drinks? Do you also know how to brew your own? I think that would be invaluable here so you wouldn't have to resupply so much across the sea." He added, taking a breath and pausing to give her a chance to catch up and digest what he'd just said.

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Izuyanai on October 3rd, 2016, 2:39 pm

At the mention of artifacts Izuyanai cocked her head to the side, both confused and intrigued. “Artifacts?” she echoed. Following James’ gaze, she looked out at the surrounding jungle. Unsurprisingly, there was little to be seen aside from the mesh of green, each leaf clamouring for space under the warmth of the afternoon sunlight. From here, at least, there was no sign of any civilisation other than the current settlers.

“It’s hard to believe the area was ever so populated. The jungle seems to have just…swallowed every sign of the people before us. When you say artifacts, how long ago do you think this area was lived in?”

Whenever humans and other long lived races talked of history, Izuyanai never completely grasped the significance of the time line. Since she herself had only lived a handful of seasons, the concept of time was still rather vague to her. Mostly, her life consisted of simply yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The idea of several years, perhaps even hundreds, only left a foggy impressions on her.

Taking note of James’ comments, Izuyanai slowly cracked a smile at the man’s offer to teach. She had never considered taking up an instrument, but the captain’s obvious enthusiasm was infectious. She could already envision the lot of them gathered around a camp fire, exchanging melodies.

“Yes…I think I’d like that very much. In fact you’re all welcome to play a few tunes at the tavern, at least, once it’s completed. Perhaps the musically gifted could put together a small concert for the rest of the settlement. I’m sure we could all use some good entertainment.”

Having returned to their discussion of the tavern, Izuyanai stepped lightly over to the Mercantile’s counter and traced the surface with a finger, mapping out the imaginary layout of her new business. The countertop was still new and grainy, however, it was just starting to wear down to a smooth finish with all the frequent use.

“I was thinking to rent out rooms. And since the local weather is agreeable, perhaps a section of the tavern could be open, like this shop. A terrace of sorts? With the wide selection of local foods, it shouldn't be hard to prepare a few side dishes to go along with drinks." Izuyanai chattered enthusiastically.

Izuyanai stilled her hands on the counter as she heard out James' offer. It sounded as though he had given a similar speech many times and he moved along rapidly, listing out the help she could get in setting up. Fumbling with the list she brought along, Izuyanai unfolded the scrap and smoothed out the wrinkles. It was important that she got the primary details right.

"I had my eye on a plot across from the small island. It's where the trees with strange leaves grow?" Izuyanai tried to explain the location's description as she waved feebly in its general direction. "Unless you have a better suggestion, I think it's located with reasonable access in mind. If Syka is to encourage trade, people will be in need of a place to stay for one or two days."

Izuyanai flipped over the memo so that the writing was visible to James, and tapped at a number inked into the bottom corner. Above, there were a few scrawled letters and a large collection of scratched out numbers. The result of painstaking calculations with many silly errors.

"Also, by my general estimate, starting up will cost around 2100 mizas. Do you think you could lend me that much?"

The Kelvic blinked up at the man, wondering if he would entrust her with so much money.

"I can cook and mix drinks, but I've never needed to brew my own, so I've yet to try. Everything was store bought where I came from. What do we have here? Fruit?" Izuyanai paused, sending a sidelong glance at a few sacks propped up against the Merchantile and added, "Sugar and grains? I might need help in starting my first batch."

"Speaking of self efficiency," Izuyanai continued, “Perhaps I could scratch out a garden. Vegetables and the like. And also keep a few small animals for food," As if the thought had struck her, she scanned the shop, eyes raking the various objects for a likely item. "You don't happen to have seed packets in store, do you?"
OOCIzu is talking about plot 6 on the Codex map, unless somewhere else is better. Also, I've always had trouble with detail. If it's not too much of a bother, some feedback will be really helpful.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)