Closed Angle Is Everything. (Samuel Longwell)

Alex takes a well deserved day from the events in his life when he meets someone he didn't expect to see.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Angle Is Everything. (Samuel Longwell)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 15th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Timestamp: 84th Fall 516AV

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Bow, arrows, dagger, and leather. The tools of the hunter the only friends a silent stalker needs. The air hung cold and starting to turn towards the frigid and frosty. Alex sat amongst the low boughs and branches of a thickset tree. The leather armour he wore had it’s hood up and covering his head letting him bask in a little extra warmth even whilst out in the stillness of nature. Bow slung over one of his knees, and quiver across his hips tilted such as to not let any arrows fall free.

Instead of his usual fair he was trying to practice something he’d picked up recently Drawing the power he’d come to know as Djed into his hands and then out into his palm his slowly pulled his fingers apart to reveal the little portal into nothingness. Alex was just simply fascinated by just one thing. The ease of which he’d tapped into the feeling of nothing. Rotating the small and barely stable portal in his fingers he just admired it drinking in the light. The purest blackness, but it didn’t feel…Evil. Instead it felt just as how the power was promised, like he was holding nothing.

However what jolted him not only to the point of the magic collapsing but to the point of his attention snapping elsewhere was the crunch of fallen and loose branches below. Thankfully Alex’s clothing helped mask him in the embrace of nature and with his well versed knowledge of how to blend in he just waited and observed moving his body very slowly. Pulling an arrow free and knocking it without drawing. The motions slow, quiet and deliberate. He didn’t want to startle the source of the noise seeing as he hadn’t quite found it yet. And then it hit his eyes a glint, a glimmer of steel. A familiar one. A knight most likely come for a stroll through the forest. Alex leaned back slowly to watch him pass.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Samuel Longwell on November 15th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel's steps rustled the dead leaves beneath his feet. No matter how he placed his feet he couldn't seem to manage to avoid alerting everything in the vicinity to his approach. But that hadn't stopped him from trying, moving purposefully slowly to try and keep the noise down. Twice he had stumbled upon wildlife, but each time the animal had scattered before the knight had even got a shot off with the short bow he carried. The borrowed leather armour smelt even worse than the stuff he'd worn last time he'd been out hunting. Samuel resolved to buy himself a good suit of leather armour that he could wear while out on such excursions. It would make an improvement to just grabbing whatever fit from the armoury. His long sword was strapped to his back to avoid it dragging in the dirt if he needed to crouch. So far his bow had not been used, but it remained in his left hand ready for the moment he would need it. Samuel had come out to the woods to practise hunting, trying to move undetected through the trees. But so far he had not had much luck.

Samuel did not notice the silent onlooker as he passed the tree where the younger man was hidden. The glint from his sword's handle had given his own position away but the other man had no such giveaway signals. Though even if he had, Samuel was far too preoccupied with searching the ground for tracks to notice anyway. He had not gone too far past the tree when Samuel noticed a disturbance in the dirt. The knight crouched down to inspect it further. Samuel couldn't tell what had made the mark, or even which direction it had been travelling. But Samuel none the less started to circle the area around the track, widening his search in concentric circles to try and find something else. It wasn't long before Samuel found it. Half a boot print, pressed into soft mud. Samuel crouched down next to the print, wanting to get a closer look. Intarus had mentioned that you could tell how heavy a man was by his boot print and Samuel knew that to do so he would need plenty of experience with human tracks. Again, he was so involved with his observations that he had no idea that the boot's owner was just a few metres away.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Words: 219143
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 15th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Lingering in the treeline often taught Alex much about those on the ground. Even with the arrow knocked, he was willing to give the knight a means to slip by and simply go on his way. However when the steel stopped moving and instead crouched to the ground Alex knew very cleanly that he hadn’t hidden his tracks well enough. And instead started to pull the drawstring tight. Then there was the glint off of that shiny dome.

Alex knew its owner, and relaxed the draw slow enough to not let the wood creak. Instead Alex simply sat back against the bark and watched Samuel try and figure out where it’s owner had gone, which way too. Eventually Alex decided to break the silence with his usual quiet cutting whisper of a voice. However the accent to the edge of it was heavily leant towards the Zeltivan.
“You often find more when you listen. Not look.” Shifting his sitting a little he looked down at Samuel his face obscured by the hood, and the shadows. The bow across his leg clearly and openly knocked.

“You watch prey you’ve found, and you listen out for an ambush. Don’t forget your ears can help you all around you, your eyes however can often lead you astray.” Alex flashed a small smirk. “I commend you however for your one wise decision. The leather but walking and stomping around somewhere as deadly quiet as this is not wise.” Then as if using the arrow head to point he shifted the bow up slightly to the longsword. “And a blade that big is never a good in a forest this tightly packed. You’ll catch the edge on the trees and then there’s your means of defence up close gone.” Alex held the high ground and from there he also held the best vantage point.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on November 15th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

The boot print looked large, the full boot would probably be nearly the size of Samuel's own. The knight reasoned that this meant the owner was most likely a man and a tall one at that. A voice from behind him made Samuel spin round. His hand reached instinctively for an arrow but he froze when he saw the other's bow. He carefully moved his hand away from the quiver, listening carefully to the voice. The man pointing the bow at him seemed to be giving him advice. Samuel cursed himself, he definitely should have been listening while he was tracking. He needed to pay more attention to his surroundings in the future. “It seems you're new here,” Samuel said offhandedly, clearly fooled by the Zeltivan accent, “round here it's considered rude to point a bow at a stranger.” He spoke calmly and confidently, but it was just an act. He didn't fancy his chances if the stranger wanted him dead. The knight didn't let on that he was a knight, he didn't know what the other party in the conversation wanted and he decided it would be best to keep his cards close to his chest. “Aye, you may be right about the sword” the knight agreed, “but I'm not so good with a dagger. Never really picked up the knack.”

Samuel searched the shadows, trying to catch a glimpse of the other man's face but seeing nothing. “You know,” the knight began, “if you want I can take you to the city, find you a place to stay.” He smiled invitingly, his offer genuine. Samuel understood that some people startled easily, which would explain the tendency to point a weapon at a stranger who seemed to be tracking you. By this point Samuel had realised that the boot print most likely belonged to the other man. Samuel smiled to himself in spite of the situation. He'd been right about the man being tall. Samuel couldn't tell exactly how tall from the position the other sat in, but he was clearly not a short man.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 15th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Alex saw the panic, the moments of unjust worry. Though from Samuel’s perspective it was entirely warranted. Watching and waiting was one of Alex’s strengths, it was what let him excel by leaps and bounds. However he couldn’t help but dole out help to those he felt he owed a little something too. Clearly Sam couldn’t see his face less he may be of the more regular tone now he was on the back foot talking to someone who literally held all the advantages.
“Only rude where I’m from, if the bow is drawn.” Alex smiled a cool smile trying his best to keep up the act, the charade of this Zeltivan that had meandered his way from the great port city swallowed by Svefran. Perhaps mixing in a little fratava could help him pass for one. After all the golden locks of his which now rolled from the hood a little would help sell the fact he was a shore bound Svefra.
“Look closer and you’ll see more than you think.” Alex spoke in the fratvan he knew, not a vast pool but big enough for him to get a good bearing and grasp on the language. Though at least Sam seemed to agree with him on the point of the sword being less than suitable here.
“Never too late to pick up a new skill is it?” He spoke again in the heavily accented voice, the soft tones mixing with the harsh pronunciation. Though seeing the honest smile upon Sam’s features Alex was inherently a little distrustful, but then that was his nature.

“I’m versed well enough with the city to have my bearings though what worries me is your bow.” Alex spoke calmly and evenly, instead this time tilting the point of the undrawn arrow to the bow Samuel carried and then the quiver.
“Never a good idea to keep your quiver where you can’t see how many arrows you’ve got left. It can lead to you running out quickly. Through careless shooting.” If Sam paid attention he could see that Alex was in fact using his arm for the drawstring to balance himself a little steadier on the branch.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on November 17th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel nodded his head in assent, he agreed that the stance of the stranger seemed merely cautious rather than aggressive. The knight believed that no harm was meant to him, something that he desired to remain that way. He raised an eyebrow at the strange language the other spoke. It was a language he couldn't speak himself, but he had heard it spoken by traders in the city. What confused him was that there was no reason for the other man to speak in the other language. It made the knight suspicious, what were the stranger's intentions? Did he seek to simply confuse Samuel or was did he have something darker planned. Almost immediately after he had decided that the stranger was no threat Samuel had backtracked and proceeded warily with the conversation. “That's why I'm out here,” replied the knight in response to the other man's comment about new skills. “I'm fairly new to hunting. You seem to know what you're talking about, care to show me the ropes?”

The question had a hidden layer to it, the knight now suspected that the stranger had something to hide and hoped to draw him out of the shadows. The stranger seemed willing to give advice, maybe he would be able to give some practical teaching too. A denial would seem to confirm Samuel's suspicions, at least partly, so either way the knight felt like he gained from asking. Samuel took his quiver from his back, deciding to listen to the other man. He knew he had 19 arrows, he had left with 20 and only fired once since he'd been out in the woods. But perhaps in a stressful situation he would not be so clear minded, so the knight saw the reasoning. “How would you suggest I carry it then?” Samuel asked inquisitively.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 17th, 2016, 4:39 pm

“Suppose it’s about time I drop the charade then?” Alex spoke with a small smirk as he finally dropped down from the branches, hooking his free hand under to dangle and then drop to the ground. As he rose up the accent cleared and Alex spoke with his usual calm and light voice. “I suggest you carry your arrows like I do mine, also makes it faster to draw them than having to fish over your shoulder for the arrow tips.” Alex smiled as he used his hand to lower his hood. Then tilted his head towards his hip to show how he carried his arrows.

“Also if you’re new to hunting that’s understandable but I woulda thought a knight would better know how to use a bow?” Alex cocked his head slightly, his longbow massive by comparison’s to Sam’s short bow. Alex shifted his feet slightly and took a stable bit of footing bracing the arrow now against the belly of the bow with his index finger.

“I was practicing a bit of my stealth, and given how easily you found my foot print, looks like I have further to go.” Alex now on equal standing with Samuel sighed lightly. “I’m sorry if I shook you a little I’m trying my hand at acting a different person in an attempt to better blend in with people. Plucking a few words from another language I know often helps with that. Add to that the myriad of places I’ve lived in and I can fake an accent convincingly enough.” Folding his arms lightly the bow resting against his arm and shoulder now he glanced at Samuel’s gear from a better perspective. And sure enough it wasn’t the greatest however it would suffice well enough.

Wouldn’t be the worst idea to get a few more arrows at some point… Alex though to himself looking at Samuel’s quiver. And then around to the surroundings. Given that the last time the two of them were together thjey'd been attacked by a monster Alex was understandably a little cautious

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on November 17th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Samuel Thoughts Others

Samuel's face was priceless as the squire dropped down from the trees, pure shock and bewilderment were quickly replaced by a scowl. “I think that'd be for the best Squire Faircroft.” Samuel almost shouted, taking a half step forward menacingly. “I expected better from you.” The effect was ruined by a small laugh that slipped from the knight, he was clearly not angry at all. The knight quickly attached his own arrows at his hip, allowing them to hang beside him. When he looked up again at the squire Samuel had a wry smile on his face. “Ah, no trouble lad” he said, “You had me well and truly fooled! Your accent was pretty convincing. But maybe you could teach me a little about stealth as an apology?” The last request was good natured, the knight's grin reinforcing the fact that there was no harm done. Unlike many knights, Samuel had no shame in learning from a squire. Even less so when they had managed to stay completely unseen while he walked past them.

Throughout this conversation the knight followed Alex's advice and listened to the area around them. Awareness of his environment was something he would definitely be working on in the future. “Oh, about the bow.” Samuel said, remembering the squire's earlier comment, “I can shoot fairly well, I've been doing it for a significant amount of my life after all. But stalking an animal, even finding them, eludes me.” Samuel felt Alex's eyes running over the leather armour, apparently not overly impressed. This reinforced the knight's desire to invest in some high quality leather armour that he could wear when he needed to be quieter than the steel-clad behemoth that he usually was. He was sure that one of the other knights who knew about such things would be able to give him a recommendation.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on November 20th, 2016, 12:09 am

There was a slight tone of anger edge at Samuel’s voice as Alex descended the tree which as he continued on faded into the regular tones that he carried himself with. Though the little teaching about stealth was something Alex cocked his head at.
“It’s fairly easy to be honest. You just stay low and slow. The less speed you do something with the less noise it makes. To be honest I’d been watching you since long before you stopped to look at the print I left.” Alex spoke with a calm but unfocused voice. Almost like he was trying to keep his wits about him just in case.

Though about the bow that was something Alex had just made an assumption on but then again it wasn’t something he was fully unfounded with, after seeing how he carried his quiver. Did all knights simply focus solely on blades?
“Finding a wild animal is the same as when you hunt for a person just takes time and patience. And again, use your ears they’re infinitely more helpful out here than your eyes are. For example listen.” Alex’s voice soft as it was fell softer still as he didn’t want to spook what had just meandered by.

In the distance a small stag had wandered into view but only just. The sound of rustling leaves was often enough for Alex to gauge where something was. However he was having a severely difficult time applying that to his fighting. The sound of steel cutting air was not quite the same as the crack of twigs and the shake of leaves. As if prompting Samuel to follow Alex began to crouch slowly the placement of his arrow across the belly of his bow enough to let him know that he could take the shot if needed. Alex’s right hand outstretched to his side and slowly rose and fell. Telling Sam to stay quiet, then he began to quietly draw his bow.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Samuel Longwell on November 20th, 2016, 9:48 am

Samuel Thoughts Others

The knight was unconvinced by the younger man's explanation that being stealthy was easy. Even when Samuel moved slowly he still managed to step on twigs and leaves that cracked and crackled to signal his presence to those nearby. The knight attributed that to having spent nearly all of his life in the city where such skills were unneeded. But it meant he now had much further to go before he'd be even halfway proficient at it. He smiled wryly when the squire said finding an animal was the same as finding a person. He was just about to say that in general he didn't have much luck with that either when Alex motioned for him to quieten down. Samuel turned his attention back to his surroundings, he had already become lax and lost track of what was going on around him. There, just within sight was a deer. It took a little while for Samuel to locate it, but after following Alex's gaze the knight managed to spot a brown hide among the trees and foliage.

The older man moved to crouch down next to his teacher, slowly removing an arrow from his quiver. He remembered how Alex had said slow and low was important, so he made as little motion as possible as he put the arrow against his bow. It seemed the stag was unaware of the pair of men who lurked nearby, it slowly meandered through the trees chewing on some grass as it did so. As the squire pulled back on the drawstring of his bow Samuel did the same. Slowly and quietly the arrows were drawn back in a synchronous action. The knight wouldn't fire until the squire had. He expected that Alex, having been a hunter before he became a squire, would be a better shot than he so he didn't want to spook the beast and ruin the other man's shot. He would fire just after the squire, hopefully increasing the chance that the pair would take down their target.
Samuel Longwell
Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next