PM to join As Luck Would Have It (Tsari)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

As Luck Would Have It (Tsari)

Postby Colt on November 20th, 2016, 5:46 pm

Image15th of fall, 516 a.v.
late morning

“Help!” It wasn’t a complicated word, nor a particularly lengthy one; the little brown-haired boy didn’t do anything to tangle up his meaning. One word, the only word to him that mattered to him more than the world.

It was a word that no one responded to.

“Help!” he said to the people of the Solar Wind Apartments, running frantically to anyone he could find and shouting it in their faces. “Help me!”

All he got were concerned looks, shaking heads and shrugging shoulders, along with the occasional annoyed grunt as someone tried to brush him aside; the Sea of Grass could have been a different world, for all his culture did to help him, because he was calling out in the only language he knew: Pavi, language of the Drykas. And the people of Lhavit were no Drykas.

“Help!” the boy cried to anyone who would listen, voice growing louder with each repeat. He needed someone, anyone who knew even the first thing about the city; he and his family might have been content to keep to themselves and let the rumor mill run free, but today was one day where they had to ask for help. Ask for help, or risk one of their own dying.

“Help me!” the boy screamed to the whole of the Apartments. “Please!”

He was ready to break down and give up all hope of finding anyone, when suddenly, like a god-given miracle, someone understood what he was saying. Someone understood Pavi.

“Please, help me!” he said to the first person who could understand. “It’s my mother, she’s having a baby! We need a healer!”

Without waiting for a reply, he attempted to grab whatever hand or cloth he could find and drag the stranger towards his family’s room.*I left it open for who the mysterious Pavi-speaking person was, so feel free say it’s Tsari if you’d like, or someone else if not.

“Breathe, Kyla,” Colt said. “Keep focused on me.” He did his best to remember what had happened to his sister, what she had needed right before the birth of her children. He knew that they were completely different situations; Seirei had given birth with a home waiting for her children and a family ready to help, while Kyla Snowhunt was trapped in a city of glass that spoke a language she did not know.

Snow crouched timidly in a corner, ears back and tail between her legs. She let out periodic whines at each of Kyla’s cries of pain, but didn’t dare come any closer; Colt had long since made it clear that she was not to interfere.

“It won’t survive!” Kyla choked in terror. “We won’t make it! We won’t make it home; this child will never see the grass!”

“Kyla, stop.” He grabbed her face and forced her to look at him. “Look at me. Do not look anywhere else; as your ankal, I command you to breathe!”

Her fear didn’t go anywhere, but the authority he held was enough for her to obey. In. Out. Colt breathed with her, taking long, deep breaths and bidding Kyla to do the same. She followed his lead, and her frantic movements stopped and left her stone-stiff.

Until another contraction took over, and it broke.

“Petch everything!” Kyla snarled. “We weren’t supposed to escape! This is our punishment! The spirits are punishing us!”

“Did I say you could stop breathing?” Colt barked. “Again!”

Teary-eyed and in agony, Kyla forced herself to breathe again. Colt did everything in his power to keep command of the entirety of her attention, with the sole hope of keeping her thoughts off of the grim reality of their situation. A baby was coming, there was no surprise about that; another mouth to feed and body to keep warm, while supposed to bring joy, was instead settling over them as a weighty burden. If the baby was born smoothly, then their struggle would be doubled.

And if the baby was born poorly, the three travelers would become only two.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Tsari on November 25th, 2016, 12:22 am

Tsari liked to make the most of her free days, and this was no exception. She had cooked breakfast for her mother and herself, left to browse the market and ended up in the Mhakula Teahouse, drinking something delicious and faintly spiced. She sipped it again, trying to identify the exact flavour combination. There was definitely cinnamon, and orange, but it was hard to separate the exact notes on her palate. She had some more and frowned thoughtfully. It was a little sweet, but she had added no sugar - perhaps honey? - and there was definitely a contrasting bitterness that could only come from coffee beans.

No, she corrected herself internally. Chicory root had a very similar taste, she recalled, having made the mistake once before. That explains the woodiness too, she mused, pleased that she'd figured it out. There were still ingredients left that she couldn't tell, but she felt the overwhelming urge to head back home and brew some honey, chicory root, cinnamon and orange and compare it to what she was drinking now. The possibility of simply asking what was in the tea did not occur to her.

She finished slowly to savour the taste, then smiled her thanks at the serving lady and headed quickly back towards her home. It was only after getting back and opening her cupboards that she saw her mistake - cinnamon they had a plenty, and a couple of oranges were left, but they were out of honey, and chicory root had never held a place on their shelves.

"Tsari?" Her mother called, "where are you going, you just got back?"

"I'm going to the market."

"But you just went to the market," Arra muttered. Tsari threw her a wide, apologetic smile and hurried back out. It wasn't that far - she should be back in time to compare the tastes without having completely forgotten the original.

Honey was easy to find and Tsari chatted pleasantly with the lady selling it as she did so.
"I don't suppose you know where we might find chicory?" she asked as she wrapped the jar up and stowed it away, "Can't find it anywhere."

The lady frowned thoughtfully.
"What is it, some sort of vegetable?"

"Yes. The roots are used as a coffee substitute."

"Ah, I don't drink that love, sorry. Might try the teahouse, I'm sure they can give you a supplier." Tsari smiled and thanked the woman and turned back to consider the rest of the market. It was possible the plant wasn't in season yet, she would have to check. And, as the lady had said, asking at he teahouse was an option. If I can't find it by tomorrow, I'll try there, Tsari promised herself as she started heading back to her house.

Someone was yelling. Tsari paused when she heard the noise and double-backed. There was a boy running around from person to person, yelling unfamiliar words at them, then darting to the next. Poor boy, she thought, and wondered if there was anything she could do. Perhaps direct him to the Shinya - they, surely, would know what to do.

The language did sound familiar, though. Vaguely. Tsari frowned and walked over. It couldn't hurt to try, and it was possible - unlikely of course, but she was a woman of endless optimism and hope - that he knew Pavi, knew of the Drykas.
"Hello," she said stiltedly and very unsure if he would understand. "Is - are you good?"

He said something else and grabbed at her hand. Words she didn't understand tumbled from his lips, then:
"mother." And if there was one thing Tsari did understand it was caring about ones mother.

"Mother," she repeated to ensure they were on the same page, and let herself be tugged along by the boy.
Tsari
Player

Words: 7839
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2016, 10:50 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Colt on December 26th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Kai pulled Tsari along with all of his strength, throwing open the apartment door.

“She can speak!” he shouted, gesturing Pavi and Drykas in Tsari’s direction.

Snow and Kyla both tensed and recoiled, distressed even more by the addition of a stranger, so it was left to Colt to make the conversation.

The Witch signed for Kai to come here, hold her hand; Kai dashed forward immediately and took Colt’s place at his mother’s side. Kyla calmed down in the presence of her son, while Snow was just waiting for a reason to leave her corner and begin barking.

Colt rose to full height, speaking slowly and clearly.

“You speak Pavi?” he asked, control and vast determination lining his shoulders. “We need help.” Evident, desperate, right now.

“She’s not Drykas,” Kyla said, gritting her teeth in pain. “Look at her. Listen to her. She’s not Drykas. She is wahlak.”

I know, Colt signed to Kyla. Be calm, command, stay focused.

Then to the stranger, “We need a healer. Kyla has been sick. None of us are well.” Hunger, sickness, long time. “She is not strong now. She needs help. Midwife… er, doctor?”

Please. Desperate fearful please.

oocSo, so sorry for the long wait!
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes